Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
I was clicking into the Amazon app... considering it was the only pre-loaded thing that looked like the app market, and it DID have apps in it, I think that's an excusable mistake.

From what I can see there is no actual icon for the app market... you click apps at the top then the "store" button in the right hand corner. Oh well. Mystery solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

JesusDoesVegas posted:

Trip Report: Kindle Fire as a Tablet for the Technologically Retarded

My Aunt and Uncle wanted a little tablet for basic emailing and websurfing as well as OMG ANGRYBIRDS!!!. My aunt wanted a $700 Ipad because she was convinced that was where you play Angry Birds... My uncle wanted a $60 Big Lots made in China number that would barely work. I settled them into the Fire, which is a happy medium. They can barely use a computer, and beyond basic Emailing, their tablet experience probably won't last once the novelty runs out, and I have to be tech support for it, so I wanted something that won't be a big pain in the rear end.

I'll say from the start that I didn't want to root because that's exactly what I would have done for myself... This is for people who are scared of tech. My aunt has an Epic 4g and she is constantly frustrated with it (I used to have that phone, and I loved it until it was accidentally smashed in a car door). I assumed the simplified Kindle skin would be better for them.

First off the screen on this little thing is great. The colors are really bright and welcoming. I looked at a Nook Tablet because I like the specs on it better, but that screen was fugly. Other than the lack of physical buttons the device is really solid and well built. I was impressed.

I was really annoyed with the amazon app store though... I've had a ton of Android phones, and I have a Xoom, so I'm familiar with Amazon's setup, but it's completely different on the Fire. The app store is unnecessarily cluttered with amazon's merchandise store, so much that it makes looking for apps a bit of a chore. Once you dig in and find out how to filter just the apps, you find out that there's no way (that I've found) to filter the categories of apps and see free/paid/top seller/new. The free app of the day (otherwise known as "the only good reason to have the amazon app market") is completely not present. Also a LARGE number of the apps are not compatible with the fire for some strange reason. Trying to show someone how to use this market is pretty much a lost cause. They got way too confused... so more tech support for me.

Also... Because ANGRY BIRDS has been such a big deal through this process, I was a bit surprised to find that only the original AB free version is available. I wasn't able to find compatible ad-supported versions of Seasons, Rio, or Space.

The Email app was also unnecessarily complicated. Instead of giving you a simple "sign into your Gmail/Yahoo/Hotmail/etc" deal, you have to set up POP or IMAP settings, which is going to again frighten and confuse non tech people. Luckily once I got their email addresses set up it works pretty well. Switching between two email addresses is a two tap process, just as it should be. Teaching them how to do this was easy.

It's currently day two. Basic web browsing and emailing has begun, and they are satisfied, but we will see. After dealing with the awful app store, in which Amazon is seemingly giving their own customers the short end of the stick, I'm tempted to root... But again, that's exactly what I would do, so therefor I have a feeling its the wrong decision. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Why did you have so many problems with adding a hotmail/gmail/yahoo account? With the built in mail app, it's literally "Add account" and then click one of the options above and enter your username and password. I didn't have to futz with pop or imap settings at all.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy

Insurrectum posted:

Why did you have so many problems with adding a hotmail/gmail/yahoo account? With the built in mail app, it's literally "Add account" and then click one of the options above and enter your username and password. I didn't have to futz with pop or imap settings at all.

I have them set up through Gmail using their domain for their business. It seems you don't have to deal with pop or imap if you just have a standard @Gmail.com. That definitely makes more sense, although that was a step I never had to take when setting their email up on their phones (iPhone 4 and epic 4g). I figured since imap had already been configured through Gmail (via the browser) it wouldn't be necessary again. Learning is fun.

Its good to know my two big complaints were pretty much invalidated. They are really liking the thing, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone else in a similar situation... now if I could just get my aunt to understand that I don't have to "put a movie in the Netflix", as though it were a beta Max machine. God love her, she's trying.

Edit - in other news... am I the only one who has seen zero difference in performance and features with the recent Xoom update? Rotate still feels about the same, as does overall speed (not complaining). I've not bothered digging the the power button option change though.

JesusDoesVegas fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 5, 2012

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
I know it's not a tablet but couldn't find a more appropriate thread. Will most likely buy a Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 3.6 tomorrow, which is pretty much an Android iPod Touch. I've found a bunch of previews but not many reviews of it. Seems pretty rare. Anyone got one? Was originally after an iPod Touch but then found the 3.6 which is a bit cheaper. I've used iOS but am new to Android which I think will be fun to try out. A bit worried about lag/unresponsiveness after being spoiled with iDevices but I think I can live with it...

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Ringo R posted:

I know it's not a tablet but couldn't find a more appropriate thread. Will most likely buy a Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 3.6 tomorrow, which is pretty much an Android iPod Touch. I've found a bunch of previews but not many reviews of it. Seems pretty rare. Anyone got one? Was originally after an iPod Touch but then found the 3.6 which is a bit cheaper. I've used iOS but am new to Android which I think will be fun to try out. A bit worried about lag/unresponsiveness after being spoiled with iDevices but I think I can live with it...
If you're buying this and planning on it being "an iPod touch but cheaper," you'll be disappointed. The hardware is similar to devices that were out a year or so ago. It's also running an out-of-date OS (most Android devices are) with next to no chance for any updates. Samsung is pretty notorious for making GBS threads up their devices and they have free reign over this one. If you want an iPod and it's just a little more expensive, get an iPod. If you just want to play with Android, you might be able to find a used phone or one with a bad ESN on the cheap.

CycleGeek
Apr 30, 2009
There's finally a US product page for the TF300 - this seems like the tablet I want to buy. Same horsepower as the prime, plastic back so fewer problems with Wi-Fi and GPS, $100 cheaper. Presumably this thing will have a consistent manufacturing process and therefore won't have the same horrendous issues.

http://www.bjs.com/asus-transformer...65?sc_cid=affil

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I'm pretty happy with my TF101, waiting for the Transformer (or some other android tablet) with a 1080p screen before I upgrade though. TF301 is tempting however and if the issues with the TF201 are fixed in it, it will be a fantastic tablet to have.

Bonxai
May 2, 2011
Does anyone know if the TF700 is coming out at the same time as the TF300? As far as I know it should be but I'm not sure, and that's the one I'm waiting for. I wish they'd give a solid release date already.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

JesusDoesVegas posted:

I have them set up through Gmail using their domain for their business. It seems you don't have to deal with pop or imap if you just have a standard @Gmail.com. That definitely makes more sense, although that was a step I never had to take when setting their email up on their phones (iPhone 4 and epic 4g). I figured since imap had already been configured through Gmail (via the browser) it wouldn't be necessary again. Learning is fun.

Its good to know my two big complaints were pretty much invalidated. They are really liking the thing, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone else in a similar situation... now if I could just get my aunt to understand that I don't have to "put a movie in the Netflix", as though it were a beta Max machine. God love her, she's trying.

Edit - in other news... am I the only one who has seen zero difference in performance and features with the recent Xoom update? Rotate still feels about the same, as does overall speed (not complaining). I've not bothered digging the the power button option change though.

I'd say you have some valid usability complaints there though. Especially the bit about there being an app store that's not really their app store.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

JesusDoesVegas posted:

I think business accounts should still work without imap, I just punched my school email address in and it worked.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

MrBond posted:

I'd say you have some valid usability complaints there though. Especially the bit about there being an app store that's not really their app store.

They do need to make which one is the app store more visible, but the amazon app isn't just an app store, per se. It's more of a frontend for the entire amazon website. The fact that you have to dig into two menus to get to the actual app store is pretty stupid, though.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
ASUS placates Transformer Prime owners with free GPS Extension Kit add-on

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/05/Asus-to-offer-free-Transformer-Prime-GPS-Dongle/

Looks like it'll be free to anyone who has bought a prime, matches the color, and sits flush in the data port. It'll be interesting to find out if it'll work in the dock.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

uapyro posted:

ASUS placates Transformer Prime owners with free GPS Extension Kit add-on

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/05/Asus-to-offer-free-Transformer-Prime-GPS-Dongle/

Looks like it'll be free to anyone who has bought a prime, matches the color, and sits flush in the data port. It'll be interesting to find out if it'll work in the dock.

So I don't have to crack open my Prime, solder wires into it, and cut a hole in the side for the wires to stick out? :confused:

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Wow. That's kinda cool, and good on ASUS to even bother. I doubt I'll get much use out of it as I've never once felt the need to actually use GPS on my tablet, but it'll be nice to have if I ever do.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
To get a hold of said GPS offer go to http://vip.asus.com/

Once there, register an account then register your tablet. After you register your tablet, they will automatically redirect you to a page asking for your shipping information. Once you've filled out your shipping information click 'Submit' at the bottom of the application.

Hoppin Tin
Mar 5, 2004

SURFS UP BRO!
Fun Shoe
Anyone heard of a YourPad P4?

It's on sale for $130:
http://www.kgbdeals.com/national/deals/96639/67-discount-on-yourpad-p4--free-shipping-from-yourstoreonline

My friend just ordered one online, but seeing as it has the same specs as my current phone and there's no reviews for it online, and it's called "YourPad", and it's sold from an "As Seen on TV" store, I question everything about it.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

So I don't have to crack open my Prime, solder wires into it, and cut a hole in the side for the wires to stick out? :confused:

You still do until they release their hybrid WiFi/GPS adapter that isn't free

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
The Verge's Google sources say the Nexus tablet is being pushed back from a May release to July in order to bring the price down from $249 to $199. They also say it's unlikely to come with Jelly Bean. Conflicts with Androidandme's reports, but since they're rather hit and miss I'm more willing to side with The Verge.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/6/2929707/google-tablet-july-launch-exclusive

The Jelly Bean part makes sense because introducing a new name with ICS adoption being where its at wouldn't be very good PR. Makes much more sense to pull a Honeycomb and release a Eclair->Froyo level stealth update at Google I/O called "Ice Cream Sandwich 4.1", since regular people and reporters ignore API levels/version numbers. That gives ICS time to reach Gingerbread's 1 year tipping point, and then they can just release Jelly Bean in Q4 with the 4th Nexus phone.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

SlayVus posted:

Once there, register an account then register your tablet. After you register your tablet, they will automatically redirect you to a page asking for your shipping information. Once you've filled out your shipping information click 'Submit' at the bottom of the application.

Thanks for that. Servers being hit pretty hard right now. In the 3 months I've had this thing I haven't missed GPS once, but it's stupid to not sign up for a free accessory that will up the resale value later.

Between this and the updates every month that add in features people are asking for (system bar lock, scaling for hdmi, ad hoc support) it shows asus actually gives a poo poo and are supporting what they release.

Hopefully the 300 series does well for them. If they are smart and actually launch this thing with more stock then the 201 to retail locations I could see the $400 32 gig Tegra 3 tablet moving units when it's sitting next to $500-600 options.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Hoppin Tin posted:

YourPad P4

$130

This is all you need to know to figure out it's a turd.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Crackbone posted:

This is all you need to know to figure out it's a turd.

If you're still thinking it might be worth a punt, note it doesn't list a spec for the screen & isn't android market google play compatible.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Cakefool posted:

If you're still thinking it might be worth a punt, note it doesn't list a spec for the screen & isn't android market google play compatible.
You can find the specs elsewhere. The screen is 480x800 and capacitive, but it's most certainly garbage and has a terrible viewing angle. I was going to say that 480x800 on a 7" screen would be awful, but it's the same pixel density as the iPad2. It might be ok for a kitchen tablet or if you live in the magma zone and are constantly at risk of dropping things into molten rock, but for a general-use tablet it's definitely a bad choice.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Now that I've seen the Transformer 300T, and seen the price... I think I can safely let go of my plan of owning a Xyboard.

pouge
Nov 20, 2005

I <3 Cats.
Not sure where to ask this, but google isn't helping. I have a transformer prime, and recently did a firmware update to 4.0.3 (i believe that was the update, I'm at 4.0.3 now, anyway). Ever since, i can't connect to google play. I just see a "no connection" error message. I can access it from my phone, nothing from my tablet. Wifi is fine, no other problems I can see. I've tried two seperate play versions. Any thoughts?

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

SlayVus posted:

I registered my tablet, but did not get redirected to any page asking me for my shipping info. Hopefully I cna find where the hell to fill out the form for my dongle.

pouge
Nov 20, 2005

I <3 Cats.
Fyi, i fixed it. I had the date set incorrectly.. changing to network broadcast time allowed me to connect. Not terribly intuitive but i can't argue with results.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Jewce posted:

I registered my tablet, but did not get redirected to any page asking me for my shipping info. Hopefully I cna find where the hell to fill out the form for my dongle.

Where do you live? I live in the US.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

SlayVus posted:

Where do you live? I live in the US.

I live in the US as well. Lots of people on XDA are saying that they didn't get the pop up either. I'm not too worried now. It'll work itself out eventually.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Jewce posted:

I live in the US as well. Lots of people on XDA are saying that they didn't get the pop up either. I'm not too worried now. It'll work itself out eventually.

It sounds like they didn't intend for it to be available yet, and the people who got the registration for it were mistakes. I am sure ASUS will email everyone who registered when more official information is available.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So now that we are past the new iPad's launch, have thee been any announced price drops for existing android tabs? Are we to the point where there is a solid android tab competitor or are we still in "just get an iPad" territory for tech hobbyists like myself?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

DeathSandwich posted:

So now that we are past the new iPad's launch, have thee been any announced price drops for existing android tabs? Are we to the point where there is a solid android tab competitor or are we still in "just get an iPad" territory for tech hobbyists like myself?

There's some word that the new Nexuas tablet (which is also rumored to be made by ASUS), is going to be slightly delayed but instead of being $249, it'll be $199. I hope it's true.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

DeathSandwich posted:

The Android tablet market is the same as it always is. Early adopter "first to market" models for this generation (Transformer Prime) are soon to be obsoleted by cheaper, better-engineered replacements (TF300 @ $399) and there's always the rumor of God's One True Tablet from Google somewhere on the horizon.

I haven't seen any reactionary price drops because I don't think that there's much margin on tablets to begin with. It's rapidly turning into the PC market.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 7, 2012

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I haven't seen any reactionary price drops because I don't think that there's much margin on tablets to begin with. It's rapidly turning into the PC market.

I also don't think people are comparing iPad to Android in terms of price/performance at this point. Android's share of the market, while noticeable, is not really significant enough that people are putting them side by side and saying 'hmm yes, the cpu/$ figure of this tablet favors me'.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

DeathSandwich posted:

I've seen/heard a lot of complaints about the Transformer Prime on the internet, but the same can be said of the new iPad with its overheating and signal issues. Personally I use both fairly regularly at work and because I prefer Android in general (and the widescreen format, I watch lots of video) I would recommend the Prime over the iPad. So, no, definitely not in "just get an iPad" territory, but yeah there are still horror stories in this thread.

Glimm fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 7, 2012

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
I'm waiting to see if the next new glass tech actually resists fingerprints the way they say it will. I love my Xoom, but fingerprints are an annoyance.

I think the price is right for tablets right now... $800 for the Xoom that I'm typing this on would be ridiculous, but $300-$400 for a comparable device (or refurbed in my case) is spot on, and $200 for a seven incher is on point too. It falls below laptop territory...if I'm spending laptop money I'm getting a laptop.

I think were beyond "just get an iPad"... if you like having more customization options, and enjoy the android desktop feel with widgets and the like, you really can't get that with iPad... but iPad has waaaay more available in the way of accessories and devs don't hate the platform. We do get most apps, but there are some that just don't make it our way, and that sucks some times.

IPad 2 is currently priced right, and you can get a lot of really good android tablets for cheap (low $300s) refurbed or new. Its definitely not a bad time to be in the market.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Glimm posted:

I've seen/heard a lot of complaints about the Transformer Prime on the internet, but the same can be said of the new iPad with its overheating and signal issues. Personally I use both fairly regularly at work and because I prefer Android in general (and the widescreen format, I watch lots of video) I would recommend the Prime over the iPad. So, no, definitely not in "just get an iPad" territory, but yeah there are still horror stories in this thread.
Sorry but what overheating and signal issues? Neither on my end.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

This isn't the thread for iPad FUD debunking.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

JesusDoesVegas posted:

I'm waiting to see if the next new glass tech actually resists fingerprints the way they say it will. I love my Xoom, but fingerprints are an annoyance.

Slap matte film on it? Reduces glare and fingerprints, can make it look like new with just tissue paper. It's great!

Doctor rear end in a top hat: Thanks for the reply. Ended up not buying it as the seller did not answer the phone.

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 7, 2012

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I'll have to sell my tablet in a couple of weeks before it's devalued by newer hardware at cheaper prices...which will work for me since playing with new toys is totally worth it and I'm turbo excited for What's Next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This isn't the thread for iPad FUD debunking.

For sake of comparison, it should be noted that the new iPad gets just as warm as competing Android tablets under heavy use. As far as I know, "overheating" isn't an issue with any Android or iPad tablet, so temperature shouldn't be a consideration for buyers weighing their options.