Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011
Thanks to the info provided earlier, I was able to find http://detroit-scca.org

The season opener is May 6th and was hoping a friendly goon could help me though my first event. I still need to research and pick up a helmet. Then gather up the air pump and basic tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BeRandom posted:

The season opener is May 6th and was hoping a friendly goon could help me though my first event. I still need to research and pick up a helmet. Then gather up the air pump and basic tools.

I'm nowhere near you, but here is a video that one of the guys from our region put together to show the basics of what to do from arrival to first run. It will obviously vary from region to region, but might help you out at least with an idea of what to expect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olepdvcCEzs&context=C442ca52ADvjVQa1PpcFOV9jXwJymUbo9QYf-QJx9G08YGuHRa1FQ=

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
So if I was to enter my wagon, where would I be looking in terms of classing?

2002 Impreza wagon, non-turbo
Stock engine and tranny.

Suspension:
Koni Sport Adjustable
Whiteline Anti-Lift kit
Whiteline suspension bushings
Whiteline Com-C strut mounts (castor and camber added)
Aftermarket sway bars and links (front and rear)
Stock STi springs

Other:
4piston front WRX brakes
2piston rear WRX brakes

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
A modified class of some sort. I don't think that bushings and brake swaps are kosher for a Street Touring category. I wouldn't be surprised if you were in SM, but I think that you might have to go into something like EM.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Sockington, my best guess is that you would be in STX. Bushings, springs and shocks are allowed in ST classes.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
That anti lift kit changes suspension mount points. It's going to be in modified or prepared.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 6, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Subframe lock bolts kick you to SM at the very least, and the anti-lift kit kicks you further out. I haven't looked too closely at the rulebook locally as I've only gotten to run one event with the ALK. You're probably in some kind of prepared class.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 6, 2012

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

One less excuse for me to suck. Too bad they didn't make it here in time for the first event of the season.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
You should have gotten RS3s :)

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Not available in my size, and there don't seem to be any available in any size at the moment. These were on closeout at 88$ a tire after rebate.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Pssht 55 aspect tires. 50 aspect supremacy!!

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

205/50/15's all the way. :cool:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Our first autocross this season is Sunday, I was going to get direzzas mounted but its been hanging in the 30-50s and I don't want to ruin them. I'm running on the old S.Drives.

Also 215/45/17 245/40/17 everyday

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hmm. Makes my 295's sound soo big. :D

And Expensive :cry:

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008
I just replaced the clutch and flywheel in my miata for a Flyin Miata level 1 kit with the 10.3lb flywheel. Would that affect my class, or am I still STS? Also how long do those Star Specs usually last and is Tire Rack the only place to pick them up?

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Brigdh posted:

You should have gotten RS3s :)

RS3s don't heat up nearly as quick. Star Specs are the way to go.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I hit up my second autocross this weekend and I got some poo poo times. My pax time was pretty close to the bottom. I was 3 of 4 in ES, lost to two guys in NAs with slicks by about 10 seconds (they were neck and neck) and beat a 280z by about 5 seconds. Any way here is a video of my fastest run. Feel free to point out any gently caress ups. I feel like my tires are holding me back but im sure they aren't the only thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSWLlNTFagI

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Sadi posted:

I hit up my second autocross this weekend and I got some poo poo times. My pax time was pretty close to the bottom. I was 3 of 4 in ES, lost to two guys in NAs with slicks by about 10 seconds (they were neck and neck) and beat a 280z by about 5 seconds. Any way here is a video of my fastest run. Feel free to point out any gently caress ups. I feel like my tires are holding me back but im sure they aren't the only thing.

What are you using for the telemetry?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

What are you using for the telemetry?

This ^. Nice setup with duel GoPro's? Though it is a new surface, that looks like one nice site for autoX. Wish the ones I went to had half as nice surfaces (except Castle AFB which has the best (worst on tires) surface I have been to. A lot of fun.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

This ^. Nice setup with duel GoPro's? Though it is a new surface, that looks like one nice site for autoX. Wish the ones I went to had half as nice surfaces (except Castle AFB which has the best (worst on tires) surface I have been to. A lot of fun.

One GoPro (on the side) and one iPhone (on the windscreen). The telemetry is by the VideoPro app for the iPhone.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

whiskas posted:

RS3s don't heat up nearly as quick. Star Specs are the way to go.

Not heating up as quick hasn't been a real problem in Colorado, even with our winter events. When the Star Specs overheat and require more than 5 minutes to cool down however, that can be a major issue.

Star Specs are ok tires. Certainly not bad if you are looking to have fun or only be locally competitive.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Oh man, if any of you ever get the chance go for a ride in a car with bias ply slicks. I went for a ride in an original Shelby Cobra with period correct race tires on at the last autocross. It wasn't the fastest car and didn't have the most grip, my S2000 on S.Drives was pretty close to its times, but it was so much fun to ride in. Sliding around in those is just like a nice fast gentle ride compared to the C6 Z06 on A6s I thought was going to break my neck.

Also old 4 points need an instruction manual to put on.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Sadi posted:

The thing that jumped right out at me is you are really over-driving the slower corners, which is really common for folks new to autocross.

Any time that you turn the steering wheel, and you feel like the car is skidding forward along with turning (this is called understeer, or push), you are losing time. Slow down a bit to allow your tires to make the turn smoothly without sliding wider in the corner, and your times will drop.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Muffinpox posted:

Oh man, if any of you ever get the chance go for a ride in a car with bias ply slicks. I went for a ride in an original Shelby Cobra with period correct race tires on at the last autocross. It wasn't the fastest car and didn't have the most grip, my S2000 on S.Drives was pretty close to its times, but it was so much fun to ride in. Sliding around in those is just like a nice fast gentle ride compared to the C6 Z06 on A6s I thought was going to break my neck.

Also old 4 points need an instruction manual to put on.

My old CP car had bias ply slicks. It takes a seriously different driving style to make a car on those things fast, as they like LOTS of slip angle. Somewhere between a 10-15% slip angle on bias ply's can be really fast, whereas if you try to do that on A6's, you'll spin.

Once they are hot, a good set of bias ply (modern - like Hoosiers) slicks will generate a ridiculous amount of grip, but they heat-cycle quickly, and lose grip at least as fast if not faster than A6's as you put runs on them.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

The Locator posted:

The thing that jumped right out at me is you are really over-driving the slower corners, which is really common for folks new to autocross.

Any time that you turn the steering wheel, and you feel like the car is skidding forward along with turning (this is called understeer, or push), you are losing time. Slow down a bit to allow your tires to make the turn smoothly without sliding wider in the corner, and your times will drop.

When it comes to slow corners/turn-arounds, you need to be extremely patient. It sucks, but it's quicker in the grand scheme of things.

Having understeer in autocross isn't exactly bad in general, unless if it's going into a turn-around 20mph faster than you should. The rule of autocross thumb is that having the car push through stuff is faster; however, you have to have autocross experience/skills for this to be true.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I came here to basically say the same thing, you steer. too. drat. hard. It looks like every corner is too fast, than you yank the wheel to make the car understeer, than slam on the brakes to make it oversteer a little, than accelerate slowly to the next corner. make smooth gradual moments and dont ever touch the brake unless you have to. If you think you will need to brake for a slalom, try not accelerating so much beforehand. The miata is a momentum car (basically by design it sacrifices acceleration for grip) and you killed the momentum every chance you got.

That being said, i want that telematry. Does it do the corner map for you?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I'm so jealous of telemetry as well. You guys should critique me, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1IZufXB9jk and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pDMw2mWYP4

Understeered in some spots, and not a great course, but I am always looking for constructive criticism.

The car is significantly faster with proper rear bushings, I have so much more confidence keeping the power down through a corner now.

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 10, 2012

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

I came here to basically say the same thing, you steer. too. drat. hard. It looks like every corner is too fast, than you yank the wheel to make the car understeer, than slam on the brakes to make it oversteer a little, than accelerate slowly to the next corner. make smooth gradual moments and dont ever touch the brake unless you have to. If you think you will need to brake for a slalom, try not accelerating so much beforehand. The miata is a momentum car (basically by design it sacrifices acceleration for grip) and you killed the momentum every chance you got.

That being said, i want that telematry. Does it do the corner map for you?
The app does the corner map for you. Unfortunately the accelerometer data looks over damped to me but it basically records a video file and a telemetry file and you hit a button after recording is done to make the overlay.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Curious, is there a similar app available for Android? I can get Telemetry already with the Torque app, but to get Video + Tel on the same feed would be pretty handy.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Sadi posted:

The app does the corner map for you. Unfortunately the accelerometer data looks over damped to me but it basically records a video file and a telemetry file and you hit a button after recording is done to make the overlay.

Can I plop the telemetry over another video somehow? Or are you limited to just whatever you recorded on the phone?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Ziploc posted:

Can I plop the telemetry over another video somehow? Or are you limited to just whatever you recorded on the phone?

That would be pretty solid, but as far as I am aware it only works on video taken in the app. I havent seen an option to export the data some how.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Maybe if you fully blacked out the camera, you could chromakey away the black and overlay your own footage.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Lightbulb Out posted:

I'm so jealous of telemetry as well. You guys should critique me, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1IZufXB9jk and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pDMw2mWYP4

Understeered in some spots, and not a great course, but I am always looking for constructive criticism.

Well, as you already mentioned, you were way over driving a couple of the corners, which pushed you way out off-line a few times.

Based purely on the sound, I'd say you need to work on smoothness with your throttle inputs (and just based on experience instructing, if you are not smooth with the throttle, chances are you could probably work on your steering input smoothness as well, but that doesn't really convey well in the video), sounds like you are pretty on/off/on/off at times.

The horrible 180 degree turn-around: You are really pinching yourself off there, forcing you to drive it terribly slow. There are no cones off to the left on the entry, you could probably make a wide entry, and tight exit, and take it quite a bit faster.

Other turns - In general it appeared that you have a tendency to enter tight on the cones, and exit far away from the cones. Unless this is the way you have to drive a corner to set up properly for the next feature, this is the exact opposite of how I would normally try to take a corner. Normally you want to late-apex a corner, which would normally set you up tight on the cones towards the exit of the corner (inside cones that is), and allows you to get on the throttle faster (smoothly) on corner exit.

Only other thing, is that based on your camera 2, you can stand to tighten up on the cones on your passenger side quite a bit, you rarely got close to them that I saw (only watched it once though, I should already be in bed).

Overall, looked like some fairly quick runs, with the worst 'thing' being the horrible push in a couple of over-driven corners.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

The Locator posted:

Well, as you already mentioned, you were way over driving a couple of the corners, which pushed you way out off-line a few times.

Based purely on the sound, I'd say you need to work on smoothness with your throttle inputs (and just based on experience instructing, if you are not smooth with the throttle, chances are you could probably work on your steering input smoothness as well, but that doesn't really convey well in the video), sounds like you are pretty on/off/on/off at times.

The horrible 180 degree turn-around: You are really pinching yourself off there, forcing you to drive it terribly slow. There are no cones off to the left on the entry, you could probably make a wide entry, and tight exit, and take it quite a bit faster.

Other turns - In general it appeared that you have a tendency to enter tight on the cones, and exit far away from the cones. Unless this is the way you have to drive a corner to set up properly for the next feature, this is the exact opposite of how I would normally try to take a corner. Normally you want to late-apex a corner, which would normally set you up tight on the cones towards the exit of the corner (inside cones that is), and allows you to get on the throttle faster (smoothly) on corner exit.

Only other thing, is that based on your camera 2, you can stand to tighten up on the cones on your passenger side quite a bit, you rarely got close to them that I saw (only watched it once though, I should already be in bed).

Overall, looked like some fairly quick runs, with the worst 'thing' being the horrible push in a couple of over-driven corners.

Thanks! That was basically what I was expecting, but I like having other people give me criticism. I definitely need to keep the power on more, which keeps the car from pushing as badly. I was really bad at those hairpins.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Well I guess i'll go ahead and post the latest Yaris-Cam (tm) of my best comp run. That second chicago box you see in the video was tricky but fun when you got it right! As for these new Dunlup DZ101's? They're fairly grippy when heated up but they are garbage for retaining heat. We had some stoppages which absolutely killed the traction, as you can hear from all of the squealing going on after they cooled down. Should have gone with Star Specs or back to RS3's if they weren't so rare these days! It was a very fun course overall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pgkFqlFp2A

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Had really nice weather in Phoenix today, for the last time until next November!

I tried externally mounting the Go-pro for the first time today, and the wind noise is pretty awful, but here is my best comp run anyway, just turn down the sound if you don't like wind noise.

http://youtu.be/fI49p3TF0MM

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

Had really nice weather in Phoenix today, for the last time until next November!

I tried externally mounting the Go-pro for the first time today, and the wind noise is pretty awful, but here is my best comp run anyway, just turn down the sound if you don't like wind noise.

http://youtu.be/fI49p3TF0MM

Nice run! I'm really surprised to see a Firebird auto-x laid out as open as that one appears to be, that skidpad is so small.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Podothehobbit posted:

Nice run! I'm really surprised to see a Firebird auto-x laid out as open as that one appears to be, that skidpad is so small.

It only seems small because we are spoiled with amazing sites around us. In some parts of the country FIR would be considered an unbelievably good site. It is getting pretty bumpy though, would be nice if that could be fixed.

I used to run up north where we had to connect multiple small community college parking lots together with slaloms along the connector roads. The AZ SSS's would go into collective apoplectic fits if we ever tried to do that here. :)

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Went to a local SWVRSCCA event for the first time in a year or so and this awesome Turbo Colt was a hoot to watch.

The twin stick trans rocks.

I drove my new IQ just to see how it handled when pushed.

Only did my 4 morning runs and chickened out, on my 2nd through 4th runs I could hear this whine start at a specific part of the track and would last until I shut the car off or sat in grid traffic for a bit... May have been normal noise of the drive train getting warm or could have been the noise of me loving up my car...

Other than that it was fun, 165 series econo tires have no grip but once I slowed down and started finding the grip limits my times dropped 9 seconds. Nice and sunburnt from corner working the second half of the event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobSpelledBackward
Mar 26, 2012
Put the Hoosiers on the Sky this weekend for the start of the season. Got my rear end handed to me Saturday (Being super tired wrecks your driving skill) but pulled 2nd for BS on Sunday. Pulled a 42.4 best and the last run for one of the best C4 drivers pulled a 42.2. (best time of the day for the 1st half was a 40.6 it was a pretty fast track with a few good hairpins at the end of the straights).)

Got some good headcam footage and some datalogging on my Phone. Will see what I can make of it.

• Locked thread