Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

Tanon posted:

But, speaking of WMW, anyone planning on going to any of the upcoming cons this year? Off the top of my head we have Adepticon this month, Lock n' Load, Diecon, and Wargamescon in June, Gencon in August, and WMW in November (I think those are all the major ones?) Seriously is gonna be a crammed year.

I'll be attending DragonCon this year. I know from experience there is a pretty strong Warmahordes group there every year.

Edit: Quote for new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Since I live in Canuckistan I'm kinda boned for going to any WMH conventions. Instead Im debating weither to being my battle boxes (Menoth, Cygnar and Skorne) up to Calgary during the Calgary Comics Expo and demo a few games to try to grow the franchise.

It'd be a fun thing to do but Im terrible with the rules.

Oh hey I'll be up at the same event as well, maybe we'll have some goon on goon action. :v:

Going down to L&L as well, kinda got shafted with how fast poo poo filled up but I'm only number 4 on the masters wait list. If worst comes to worst I'll buy a spot from someone heh.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
I help plan Diecon every year, and there's no reason for anyone in the midwest to pass on Warmachine Weekend. I'll be at both.

This reminds me: dexefiend, you going to Springfield Saturday? Mecca Games is running a 50 point SR.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
If any of you nerds go to PAX like I do, they have a fairly large room dedicated to wargaming, and the vast majority of the players there are Warhors.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Feeple posted:

I help plan Diecon every year, and there's no reason for anyone in the midwest to pass on Warmachine Weekend. I'll be at both.

This reminds me: dexefiend, you going to Springfield Saturday? Mecca Games is running a 50 point SR.

I can't. I am in study mode until May 11. :smith:

:emo:-Actuary

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 6, 2012

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I was reading through Wrath and the Mercs book, and I just wanted to make sure I have something correct. Steelhead Rifleman can CRA (and get a neat little reroll if they miss, thanks to Combined Arms). So if you take a full squad and pair them up, that gives you 5 RAT7 POW13 shots, right? (they are normally RAT5, POW11).

Now, Damiano can give them Money Shot, which is +2 to all ranged attack and damage rolls. That stacks, right? So for that turn you could deliver 5 RAT9, POW15 CRAs? Or, if you are feeling ballsy, a single RAT17, POW23 shot?

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 6, 2012

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
I'm trying vey hard to make it to WMW this year. It's about a 12-13 hour drive from my house, so it wouldn't be too terrible. If we get a bunch of goons going, maybe we can try to get a monopoly on one of the eight man scrambles and have a Goonoff. That'd be pretty fun

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Ashcans posted:

I was reading through Wrath and the Mercs book, and I just wanted to make sure I have something correct. Steelhead Rifleman can CRA (and get a neat little reroll if they miss, thanks to Combined Arms). So if you take a full squad and pair them up, that gives you 5 RAT7 POW13 shots, right? (they are normally RAT5, POW11).

Now, Damiano can give them Money Shot, which is +2 to all ranged attack and damage rolls. That stacks, right? So for that turn you could deliver 5 RAT9, POW15 CRAs? Or, if you are feeling ballsy, a single RAT17, POW23 shot?

Yes, Damiano owns.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, goddamn. Paymaster is crazy good. The only bad thing about him is that now I apparently need to buy all the Steelheads I can find.

Edit: On this topic - someone sell me lots of steelheads cheap, thanks!

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 6, 2012

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Im going to try really hard to get to WMW this year. I think Gencon may be out of the question at this point, so I want to hit up WMW. Its around my birthday so that might be my excuse to take the trip :v:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

dexefiend posted:

I can't. I am in study mode until May 11. :smith:

:emo:-Actuary

Sup Warmachine Actuary buddy. Which exam are you studying for?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Reik posted:

Sup Warmachine Actuary buddy. Which exam are you studying for?

I have 3L in May, followed by MFE in August. I have passed 1, 2, and 4. I keep telling myself ACAS by next spring.

How bout you?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

dexefiend posted:

I have 3L in May, followed by MFE in August. I have passed 1, 2, and 4. I keep telling myself ACAS by next spring.

How bout you?

I'm not as far along as you. I graduate in May, plan on having FM done by the end of the summer, only passed 1P so far.

I do feel that 1P improved my Warmachine dice math capabilities ten-fold. The calculations for the expected values of Ashlynn's feat turn were pretty fun to figure out.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
So let me get this straight:

eStryker can power surge for 3 dice, average +9 to his damage rolls, then spend 3 focus to move 6 inches then charge with a total threat range of 17? And then have 4 attacks to kill the enemy caster at pow+str 25+?

What the everloving poo poo, why haven't I taken this guy yet?

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

crime fighting hog posted:

eStryker can power surge for 3 dice, average +9 to his damage rolls, then spend 3 focus to move 6 inches then charge with a total threat range of 17? And then have 4 attacks to kill the enemy caster at pow+str 25+?

Stryker killing himself with power surge is the best thing ever. I've seen it twice.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
If I played cygnar I would use him and kraye like erryday

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Go up against a def 17 warlock with a couple transfers available and see if you still think he's that good. :smugbert:

Seriously though, he's pretty solid. Just gotta remember that he doesn't have pathfinder and a canny player will use that to gently caress you. I actually played in an April Fools tournament were in one of the rounds we had to switch casters with our opponent. Banes with his feat are pretty bitchin'

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Reik posted:

I'm not as far along as you. I graduate in May, plan on having FM done by the end of the summer, only passed 1P so far.

I do feel that 1P improved my Warmachine dice math capabilities ten-fold. The calculations for the expected values of Ashlynn's feat turn were pretty fun to figure out.

Hahahahaha. I have so many spreadsheets of odds and data. I am especially fond of the application of the Central Limit Theorem to boosted damage and additional dice! :science: The more dice you sum, the more the resulting distribution appears normal! Yes, WH/H definitely benefits from a good amount of probability knowledge. As a final aside, what is your major/university? I got Actuarial Science at Illinois State University.

Good luck on your semester and what not. Stay focused!

Back to Warmachine, ARRRGGHHH! I need to order more Menites!!! I am losing hope at ordering plastic Reckoners... I have a $523 wish list at miniaturemarket.com. I need help. (I am not going to order that in one chunk, but it is still a hell of a lot of money.)

Trolls, Legion, and Menites. Oh my!

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

Never ever go without Runewood, Squire and a Journeyman with him. Rowdy is cool too. DEF 16 (18 against melee when hugging Rowdy and no knockdown) and ARM 26 when fully turtled up. MAT 7 is what keeps him honest, but that can be fixed with Positive Charge.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Gay Polymers posted:

Templecon is pretty much the only one I hit up, but I really want to save up for Lock and Load next year...

:hfive:
Do you go to the Temple, like the actual game shop, or just their convention?

I start my new job in 2 weeks with a hefty pay bump, can't wait to really expand my Cryx army! How good are Brute Thralls? They seem hard as gently caress and I really want to run some when I can afford spending $50 on 3 models.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Brute thralls are rad and totally worth the points. With 3 on the table they might see action, but more likely they will just get shot and die before they can get to combat. But they absorb a lot of punishment before dying. Might just be better off with a unit of black ogryn.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Washout posted:

Brute thralls are rad and totally worth the points. With 3 on the table they might see action, but more likely they will just get shot and die before they can get to combat. But they absorb a lot of punishment before dying. Might just be better off with a unit of black ogryn.

Black Ogryn are really not worth it, especially compared to Brute Thralls.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Sab669 posted:

:hfive:
Do you go to the Temple, like the actual game shop, or just their convention?

I start my new job in 2 weeks with a hefty pay bump, can't wait to really expand my Cryx army! How good are Brute Thralls? They seem hard as gently caress and I really want to run some when I can afford spending $50 on 3 models.

I go to the Temple, haven't been there in a bit because of my new job sucking up all of my free time. Hopefully I'll make it down again on a Saturday soon. Temple is my fave store ever. The newest PG down there (Jeff) used to be my roommate.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
I'm gonna do L&L, which will be my first nerdcon ever. I'm pretty psyched.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
:aaaaa: Warmachine Weekend is in St. Louis? I picked a good year to get into this hobby.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

Somberbrero posted:

:aaaaa: Warmachine Weekend is in St. Louis? I picked a good year to get into this hobby.

If you tell me you live in St. Louis I call dibs on your couch! :v:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Is WMW a big tournament or is there other stuff to do for guys who suck at playing the game but enjoy the hobby anyways? I'm really considering taking the train out there, it's only 8 hours away.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Tanon posted:

If you tell me you live in St. Louis I call dibs on your couch! :v:

I call the floor.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

dexefiend posted:

Hahahahaha. I have so many spreadsheets of odds and data. I am especially fond of the application of the Central Limit Theorem to boosted damage and additional dice! :science: The more dice you sum, the more the resulting distribution appears normal! Yes, WH/H definitely benefits from a good amount of probability knowledge. As a final aside, what is your major/university? I got Actuarial Science at Illinois State University.

Good luck on your semester and what not. Stay focused!

My major is Mathematics, with a minor in Actuarial Science at the University of North Texas. We don't have a big program here, but I feel pretty prepared for entry-level positions.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

Is WMW a big tournament or is there other stuff to do for guys who suck at playing the game but enjoy the hobby anyways? I'm really considering taking the train out there, it's only 8 hours away.

There are TWENTY events over the three days, both super casual and hardcore. The crowning event is the WMW Invitational, which is basically the WMH tournament of champions. But, there are paint events, demos, prizes, Iron Arena, vendors, and there is supposed to be a ton of IK RPG stuff to do, since it will be out by then. It's a WarmaHordes and Iron Kingdoms dream event.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

We should get a goonmeet going at a nearby bar, as long as we don't talk about warmachine.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

We should get a goonmeet going at a nearby bar, as long as we don't talk about warmachine.

Goons not talk about nerd poo poo in public? Unpossible.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Had my 3rd game as Khador today, against circle, 20 points. After he failed his charge with his big jack killer, and pushed my juggernaut back, I had to do some crazy pythagoras math to see if I could conceivably charge his character heavy beast. So I pulled up my calculator and punched in the numbers that I gleaned from the control area around Sorscha. 5" to the dude I wanted to charge, and 7 to my Juggernaut.

Thankfully it was a relative 90 degree triangle, so I punched in 5^2+7^2=74. And taking the square root of that, came out to be 8.6, so I loaded up my Juggernaut with 3 focus, moved sorcha into position and feated everything, plus casting the charging spell on my Juggernaut. My 5 Man-o-Wars charged one of his heavy beasts and promptly reduced it to a pulp. For the grand finale, my Juggernaut charged into his heavy character beast, and after 3 quick auto-hit ice axe's to the face, was reduced to rubble.

:black101: gently caress Yeah, Khador.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 7, 2012

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

DJ Dizzy posted:

:black101: gently caress Yeah, Khador.

More like gently caress Yeah, Pythagoras!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Hey, it was legal after all. All I did was measure my control range.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

DJ Dizzy posted:

Hey, it was legal after all. All I did was measure my control range.

I'm not call shenanigans or anything. I applaud your triangulation skills. Calculating ranges properly is a big part of that game, and I'll have to remember to start taking a calculator to my games.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Just remember, that if your dude is within your control range, and the enemy dude is within your control range. You can somewhat accurately calculate the charge distance required.

EDIT: Goddamn, next level metagaming. Using spreadsheets on laptops to triangulate distances. :wtc:

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 7, 2012

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Arlaharen posted:

This a million times. Charging with your Stormclad is a trap unless you're going for the assassination or taking out a major key piece. Full tilt, advance 3" or so, electroleap all over the place and then back up 7". Should be out of charge range of most infantry. Protect your precious beatstick. That poo poo's so cash.

I was thinking Ride-by Attack had to be in a straight line. Is that not the case?

Ashcans posted:

Yep. Steelhead Rifles are money with Damiano. I've not bought them because I think Gun Mages are the better ranged option for most other Highborn/mercs lists, though some people really like them with pMags since they are more mobile than Long Gunners.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Oath Thread Update XPOST!

I am really stoked by how these are turning out!!! I need to finish up the reds, golds, wash smokestacks and do the edges. I also plan on experimenting with some iron oxide pigments to model soot. Oh, and figure out how I want to paint the weapons.

Weeeeeeeeeeee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

Acceptableloss posted:

I was thinking Ride-by Attack had to be in a straight line. Is that not the case?

It's a normal advance which you can interrupt with your combat action. After you're done fighting you resume your movement and go wherever. Great way of punishing somebody who wants to trade beatsticks with a countercharge or ran to engage in order to tie you down.

• Locked thread