Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Phy posted:

We passed pretty much exactly this law in AB last year, and it's the strictest distracted driving law in the country. About the only thing you are allowed to do is adjust the radio, drink drinks or eat one-handed snacks like small burgers or chips. No Five Guys. You can't even mess with your phone at a stoplight.

can you still use hands free devices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

max4me posted:

Whats a bitch bike?

I think he was talking about non-cruiser riding positions. I got really interested in my lunch at that point.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

max4me posted:

Whats a bitch bike?

Why, a 250 of course?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Splizwarf posted:

I think he was talking about non-cruiser riding positions. I got really interested in my lunch at that point.

I think it means "something a bitch [girl] rides", as in anything smaller than a Dyna. Sportsters are "bitch bikes". DRZs are "bitch bikes". Anything at the MSF is definitely a "bitch bike". I don't know where things like liter bikes or metric cruisers fit in since they have big engines but obviously no real MAN would ever ride such a thing!

It's too bad you didn't ask him how, exactly, the MSF bikes were "juiced up" so that "men would ride them". That would have been worth hearing.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sagebrush posted:

Well yes, but I'm saying that being increasingly nitpicky with the standards that personal vehicles have to meet results in a negligible benefit, because they're already producing extremely clean exhaust as a whole. Our cars are burning oxygenated fuel and running three catalytic converters each, while cargo ships are burning what is basically unrefined crude oil in two-stroke diesel engines with no emissions controls whatsoever. Passenger jets burn kerosene and dump the exhaust at high altitude for maximum greenhouse effectiveness. Increasingly cleaner tailpipe emissions make cities more livable, and that is excellent, but we've reached a point of diminishing returns with their effect on planetary climate.

It's not just diminishing returns - continuing to raise the cost of operation of the nearly-zero-emissions vehicles in the fully developed world beyond an inflection point causes a lot of the commerce and industry performed by the operators of those vehicles to shift to the developing world, where vehicle emissions are far worse, actually increasing overall GHG production (along with far nastier pollutants.)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Today I overheard someone say some stupid poo poo about motorcycles but that's not that intereting

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

nsaP posted:

Today I overheard someone say some stupid poo poo about motorcycles but that's not that intereting

Relax, this isn't pyf.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Snowdens Secret posted:

causes a lot of the commerce and industry performed by the operators of those vehicles to shift to the developing world, where vehicle emissions are far worse, actually increasing overall GHG production (along with far nastier pollutants.)

Yep. The most environmentally friendly car you can currently buy is a small, lightweight, used econobox manufactured as close to where you live as possible. It uses simple technologies and cheap materials, its manufacturing debt has already been paid (the manufacturer isn't having to create a brand new car just for you), and the transportation cost from the factory is close to nil. Compare that to a Prius, which has all that battery chemistry and custom electronics, which uses virgin material, and which has to be shipped from Japan on one of those aforementioned container ships burning crude oil. All to get maybe half the tailpipe emissions of the econobox from Ohio. It'll take you decades of driving to make up the environmental debt you take on when you buy a new Prius.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sagebrush posted:

The most environmentally friendly car you can currently buy is a small, lightweight, used econobox manufactured as close to where you live as possible.

drat, only 4 out of 5 :(

Oh well, the next owner will be 5 for 5.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

KARMA! posted:

Relax, this isn't pyf.

Yeah, and this isn't a thread about emissions or dumb goons ideas on how to stop the scourge of distracted drivers.

Fortunately most of the conversations, ignoring the "overheard", still fit nicely into this thread.

I miss z3n,,,at least his walls of text seemed to make others hold their tongue.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Sagebrush posted:

Yep. The most environmentally friendly car you can currently buy is a small, lightweight, used econobox manufactured as close to where you live as possible. It uses simple technologies and cheap materials, its manufacturing debt has already been paid (the manufacturer isn't having to create a brand new car just for you), and the transportation cost from the factory is close to nil. Compare that to a Prius, which has all that battery chemistry and custom electronics, which uses virgin material, and which has to be shipped from Japan on one of those aforementioned container ships burning crude oil. All to get maybe half the tailpipe emissions of the econobox from Ohio. It'll take you decades of driving to make up the environmental debt you take on when you buy a new Prius.

True, but almost every good has less of an environmental impact when purchased used, by definition. Unfortunately, durable goods don't last forever so the comparison is pretty unfair - a 2012 Prius will be running long after an '89 Celica has bit the dust. What should be compared is total environmental impact over the usable life of the good. If a Prius runs for 150,000 miles like a Corolla, which of course is debatable (and assuming it doesn't need battery replacement, etc.), it will have lower environmental impact than a Corolla.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
"man that's just a little 250, how much fun could you possibly have on that thing?"

Motherfucker it's a drat near 40 year old two stroke bike. If that doesn't sound like a fun ride then you're loving broken.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Can we talk about overheard stupid motorcycle related poo poo. As much fun as talking about carbon footprints is, its not fun.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Richard Bong posted:

Can we talk about overheard stupid motorcycle related poo poo. As much fun as talking about carbon footprints is, its not fun.

I'm with Mr. Bong

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

My Harley-ridingowning colleague asked me when I was going to Man Up and get a Real Bike.

I asked him how many kilometers he put on his Fat Boy last year.

:smug:: "Oh, about 500"

:rolleyes:

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

KozmoNaut posted:

My Harley-ridingowning colleague asked me when I was going to Man Up and get a Real Bike.

I asked him how many kilometers he put on his Fat Boy last year.

:smug:: "Oh, about 500"

:rolleyes:

He sure spent a lot of money just to be able to tell people he has a Harley

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

He sure spent a lot of money just to be able to tell people he has a Harley

He's also Swedish and keeps talking about "true viking blood", while being on sick leave almost constantly.

Truly, he is a Real Man.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I didn't think it was possible to put that little mileage on a bike without some form of chastity belt preventing you from riding it

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Them Harleys are hard to maintain, better keep the miles off.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Isn't 500 km like just one tank of gas?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Probably closer to 300km.

I got looked down on by a buddy's girlfriend for only riding a 600. She of course, rides nothing. Some uncle has her frowning at my lack of literbike. She later went off about getting a CC gun and how it needed to be a big caliber for more "stopping power" of puny bullets. Don't start that debate here, but I snipped at her "would you let me shoot you with a 22?" Whatever.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

the walkin dude posted:

Isn't 500 km like just one tank of gas?

It's like 50 tanks of gas on a huge Harley.

My co-worker has a modified Harley (sorry don't know the model, but it is huge) with high compression internals, tuned, etc. that allegedly gets ~10 mpg.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

nsaP posted:

Probably closer to 300km.

I got looked down on by a buddy's girlfriend for only riding a 600. She of course, rides nothing. Some uncle has her frowning at my lack of literbike. She later went off about getting a CC gun and how it needed to be a big caliber for more "stopping power" of puny bullets. Don't start that debate here, but I snipped at her "would you let me shoot you with a 22?" Whatever.

Oooo, stupid gun related poo poo and stupid bike related poo poo from the same dumbass? Nice.

Actually I get very similar stuff from one coworker. Guns and motorcycles are just prime for uninformed people to talk about, I guess.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I seem to remember a post earlier in this thread (maybe it was somewhere else) that went something like this

"Ugh, another guy cut me off on my bike today."
"Why didn't you threaten him with your gun?"
"...What gun? I don't have a gun. Why would I carry a gun?"
"Oh sure you do, all motorcycle guys have guns. Pull it out and wave it around next time."

followed by the person in question being utterly mystified that not everyone with a motorcycle also carries a concealed handgun and itches to whip it out and blow people away at the first opportunity.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

I seem to remember a post earlier in this thread (maybe it was somewhere else) that went something like this

"Ugh, another guy cut me off on my bike today."
"Why didn't you threaten him with your gun?"
"...What gun? I don't have a gun. Why would I carry a gun?"
"Oh sure you do, all motorcycle guys have guns. Pull it out and wave it around next time."

followed by the person in question being utterly mystified that not everyone with a motorcycle also carries a concealed handgun and itches to whip it out and blow people away at the first opportunity.

Yeah. That was me. Desert southwest. I like guns + I ride a motorcycle = I carry a gun EVERYWHERE, and would use it while on a motorcycle.

I'm not left-handed, and using a gun from inside a car is hard enough. Maybe stopped, but then you've got a gun in your hand, and nothing on the throttle and this is sounding like a worse and worse idea. Shotgun? You don't have to aim those... Hand grenades. That's the ticket.

You know what? I live in the desert. I'm going to try to practice some drivebys with my pistol on a motorcycle next time I'm out dicking around with both these items in my possession. I may forego aimed fire.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

He's also Swedish and keeps talking about "true viking blood", while being on sick leave almost constantly.

Truly, he is a Real Man.

Actually Swedish, or an American who had a Swedish ancestor 100 years ago?

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Yeah. That was me. Desert southwest. I like guns + I ride a motorcycle = I carry a gun EVERYWHERE, and would use it while on a motorcycle.

I'm not left-handed, and using a gun from inside a car is hard enough. Maybe stopped, but then you've got a gun in your hand, and nothing on the throttle and this is sounding like a worse and worse idea. Shotgun? You don't have to aim those... Hand grenades. That's the ticket.

You know what? I live in the desert. I'm going to try to practice some drivebys with my pistol on a motorcycle next time I'm out dicking around with both these items in my possession. I may forego aimed fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaSnwgJ_xQM

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

nsaP posted:

Yeah, and this isn't a thread about emissions or dumb goons ideas on how to stop the scourge of distracted drivers.

God forbid an intelligent thought bubbles up through the morass of played out observations regarding the HD universe.

Congratulations, you've earned your Webelos Junior Moderator Activity Badge.

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!

Thanks to the internet, I just learned that the big bad biker dude is riding a 500cc Honda. (I thought I saw a radiator and became suspicious.)

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Bow TIE Fighter posted:

Thanks to the internet, I just learned that the big bad biker dude is riding a 500cc Honda. (I thought I saw a radiator and became suspicious.)

Leonard Smalls. Big feller. Rides a Harley. Dresses like a rock star.

Well, Nathan Arizona got two out of three right...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Armyman25 posted:

Actually Swedish, or an American who had a Swedish ancestor 100 years ago?

Tall, blond, blue eyes, cookie-cutter actual Swede living in Sweden. He works at the same company as me in Copenhagen.

So yeah, he prattles on about his "true viking blood", while surrounded by Danes and other Swedes, as if it's a big deal.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Tall, blond, blue eyes, cookie-cutter actual Swede living in Sweden. He works at the same company as me in Copenhagen.

So yeah, he prattles on about his "true viking blood", while surrounded by Danes and other Swedes, as if it's a big deal.

Speaking as a guy whose family came from Sweden 100 years ago... I think the Danes were more hardcore Vikings than the Swedes.

Also, the whole "true Viking blood" is the kind of obnoxious poo poo I'd expect from Americans, the way every twat likes to talk about how they're 1/4 Irish and 1/16 Cherokee.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

Speaking as a guy whose family came from Sweden 100 years ago... I think the Danes were more hardcore Vikings than the Swedes.

Also, the whole "true Viking blood" is the kind of obnoxious poo poo I'd expect from Americans, the way every twat likes to talk about how they're 1/4 Irish and 1/16 Cherokee.

Holy gently caress this is embarrassing to even be around, like the 2nd hand embarrassment. I was dating a woman who was actually from Ireland and had the accent so every person she met would say...
:downs: "I am 1/4 Irish my grandma blah blah blah"

"Oh..."

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Was looking for some boots, clerk was helping this guy who said he didn't have a license yet but was looking for some gear to start out. Clerk asks what kind of a bike he plans on riding once he passes the test and his reply is "a fast one".

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Sagebrush posted:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What, did I say something stupid? Or were you just quoting it for emphasis?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I knew a guy once who had a gun. Totally got shot.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
That wouldn't have happened if he'd had...oh wait

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Sagebrush posted:

What, did I say something stupid? Or were you just quoting it for emphasis?

Actually, I had a gif attached but it didn't show!

Let me try again:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

KARMA! posted:

Actually, I had a gif attached but it didn't show!

Let me try again:

You know that's gotta be a Hi-Point.

edit: Kel-Tec is also acceptable.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Looks like a kel-tec.

• Locked thread