Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...
70" tall. 16" Bauer X:60. Over tongues. No tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

Topoisomerase posted:

I've played with a lot of people who use postal service priority mail tape they get for free.

Also shinguard chat I have Warrior Method jr 12", I'm about 61" tall and I wear them over the tongue! :cool:

This is The Best Tape for shins. I used to work at a bulk mail processing facility in HS and College and have a case of it in my attic. I get odd looks, and some white knights telling me that's why the USPS is going broke, but haters gonna hate.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

cenzo posted:

This is The Best Tape for shins. I used to work at a bulk mail processing facility in HS and College and have a case of it in my attic. I get odd looks, and some white knights telling me that's why the USPS is going broke, but haters gonna hate.

:lol: I don't think that's why USPS is going broke.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

If anything, USPS could brag its a sponsor of USA Hockey.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Awesome Animals posted:

:lol: I don't think that's why USPS is going broke.

It's not exactly helpful that cases of tape are being used by people who aren't, in turn, spending the increased postage to ship Priority/Express mail.

I used to use it too, but yeah, it is making someone else pay for your tape. The amount you "pay" in taxes and other fees for mail don't even cover those operating costs. But who cares. The USPS sucks and isn't worth white knighting about.

And aside from "free", at least the tape I used, was terrible tape. But hey, free

69", 15" Hespeler over tongue. I think Shyguy and I might have bought the same equipment at the same time.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Are they the Classic Lite? Either way, they made great equipment.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I'm getting this rubbing happening on the back of my ankles after every game. Basically the skate is rubbing the skin raw. Anyone else experience this and know of way to prevent it?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

trilljester posted:

I'm getting this rubbing happening on the back of my ankles after every game. Basically the skate is rubbing the skin raw. Anyone else experience this and know of way to prevent it?
This is why you wear high socks.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

shyguy posted:

Are they the Classic Lite? Either way, they made great equipment.

Absolutely they are. They're so worn most of the marking have come off of them.

real_scud posted:

This is why you wear high socks.

Barefoot skate for life.

Trilljester, are your skates new? Sounds like they haven't broken in yet. Or your feet aren't used to them. Have you tried applying any sort of tape to the edge that is causing it? Is it a seam in the boot?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

Barefoot skate for life.

I tried going barefoot a couple years ago, but after a month of it. It just got gross in there, so I went back to socks. And yes, I aired out my equipment, it just felt gross.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The tighty Easton socks I use are so drat comfy I'd wear them for daily use if they weren't ten bucks a pair.

I used to never think socks mattered and used the cheapest ones I could find, but hockey has turned me into a sock primadonna.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

sellouts posted:

Absolutely they are. They're so worn most of the marking have come off of them.

Barefoot skate for life.

Trilljester, are your skates new? Sounds like they haven't broken in yet. Or your feet aren't used to them. Have you tried applying any sort of tape to the edge that is causing it? Is it a seam in the boot?

Nope, I've had them for a couple years now. It's happening right on the back of my heel, right above the ankles. I wear ski socks, but maybe I should look into specific hockey socks?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

trilljester posted:

Nope, I've had them for a couple years now. It's happening right on the back of my heel, right above the ankles. I wear ski socks, but maybe I should look into specific hockey socks?

I wear dress socks. Seems to do the trick for me.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

I switched to a softer and slightly thicker sock and now neither my goalie or forward skates give me any blisters (I used to get some bad ones). Trying different socks can work wonders.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Underarmour skate socks or I used Adidas soccer socks whichever comes up after the wash.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

trilljester posted:

Hockey socks don't do anything particularly special.. they tend to be made from synthetics to try and help with sweat problems but that's about as far as it goes. It all comes down to how you like the feel of the material and how thick the material is.

As I said, I love the hell out of the Easton ones, but before that I wore dress socks and they worked fine too.

The Easton ones have tighter elastic, so they do a good job not sliding down my ankle.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Played my first Silver B game (one step up from my usual Bronze beginners/sandbaggers league) on Monday and I... actually did well? It was a bit quicker, but it really wasn't as fast as I anticipated it being. I'm liking this team a lot, especially since they run a short bench, which means a lot of ice time.

That said, playing on two teams owns, even if it is expensive. I have 3 games next weekend between the two teams. :getin:

e: sockchat: I use the over-priced Bauer socks, only because I forgot my regular socks one time and had to make due with what the rink shop had.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
You guys and your socks discussion. Try wearing no socks at all, you'll never go back :D

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Awesome Animals posted:

You guys and your socks discussion. Try wearing no socks at all, you'll never go back :D
gently caress that, I had to do it once cause I forgot my socks and it was loving awful. Just like it was awful the one time I forgot the shirt I wear under my pads. Never again

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Awesome Animals posted:

I did, and hated it. Foot felt like it was swimming.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Y'all are weird. I'm completely naked underneath my equipment. Any sort of undergarments feels restricting and hot.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Awesome Animals posted:

Y'all are weird. I'm completely naked underneath my equipment. Any sort of undergarments feels restricting and hot.

I played in high school with a guy like that. Other than socks, I am naked too.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Awesome Animals posted:

I've tried it. I went back.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I do no socks for when I play outdoor. My outdoor skates are already so nasty I don't mind. I don't want to subject my indoor skates to the same fate

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Got my first pair of skates today and HOT drat DO THEY FEEL AWESOME. Thanks to the OP I knew kinda what I wanted. Learned that my foot is a bit wide and that according to the Proshop guy, I'm like a mini Chris Pronger. Nice floppy elbows in your face and tiny feet. No really, I normally wear a 9 but have a 5 1/2 in these CCM U+ 10s. I think that's the name of them at least.

I also got some shinguards cause I'm going to fall like a bajillion times learning crossovers n'at. Got CCM U+ CL s in 13in cause I'm only like, 65in tall. Wearing these bad boys OVER the tongue.

I can't wait to get on the ice again. :D

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Heh. I wear a 5.5 skate too. Saves money having junior skates...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm right on the edge between a "small" and "medium", I'm not super happy with the small skates because I get one less eyelet around the ankle and it feels like I don't get as much support because the boot isn't as high. But on the medium skate my foot floats around.

Pretty sure the skates I have are fine from a performance and safety standpoint, but they don't "feel" quite right.

I've also thought about getting some stuffing or something for the toe cap area (kind of what the MLX skates do), the tips of my toes graze the cap so it's fine there, but when I bend my toes upward I can't feel the top of the toe cap which I don't really like. Getting it a little more snug seems worth experimenting with.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

xzzy posted:

I'm right on the edge between a "small" and "medium", I'm not super happy with the small skates because I get one less eyelet around the ankle and it feels like I don't get as much support because the boot isn't as high. But on the medium skate my foot floats around.

Pretty sure the skates I have are fine from a performance and safety standpoint, but they don't "feel" quite right.

I've also thought about getting some stuffing or something for the toe cap area (kind of what the MLX skates do), the tips of my toes graze the cap so it's fine there, but when I bend my toes upward I can't feel the top of the toe cap which I don't really like. Getting it a little more snug seems worth experimenting with.

With the small, you could either use long laces, and wrap them one extra time around your ankle, or use duct tape. Might not be the coolest looking fix, but it's pretty effective.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Doctor Butts posted:

Heh. I wear a 5.5 skate too. Saves money having junior skates...

I wear a size 3-3.5 skate. It does save money on the purchase price at face value, but they are also made more cheaply and I have to buy them more frequently, it seems like.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anders posted:

With the small, you could either use long laces, and wrap them one extra time around your ankle, or use duct tape. Might not be the coolest looking fix, but it's pretty effective.

I've heard too many people say that wrapping laces will destroy entire worlds to consider trying it.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

drat, some of you have small feet.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Regarding how tight skates should be about your ankles, remember that tighter is not always better. You should be able to flex your ankles a fair amount with laced up skates. If your skates are too tight at the top, that is going to inhibit things like bending your knees and getting really comfortable on your edges as your lower leg will be just one unbending unit.

When I was about 12 I went to a Laura Stamm clinic and they loosened practically everyone's skates; I became a better skater as a direct result of that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Small and Medium of what?

Honestly dude, get custom skates, post a trip report about the process, tell us what the Bauer or whatever professional says about your foot.

I've never seen someone struggle with the fit of their skates this badly. Not saying it's your fault or anything but you really shouldn't have to MacGuyver a new pair of skates this much to get a fit you're ok with.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Custom skates aren't going to happen soon. I've spent way too much on skates already in the past year, I'm not buying more until I decide my current ones simply cannot be made to work.

In some ways it's been interesting, feet are way more complicated than I thought they were and since I'm kind of a nerd, the problem has its hooks in me.

My next pair of skates definitely will be custom, it's really just a question of how far down the road they are.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Update my entry, I switched to Reebok 9k shins 2 weeks ago, They feel great and offer more protection at less weight than the one 30's I replaced, over the tongue still.

Last night I turned into a headcase. I'm playing in an adult clinic again and during the scrimmage I slowly devolved into an angry ball of hate. Sometimes that helps when I'm playing D but I was on L wing. There are only 10 guys in it so the talent level is spread thin. My line was having puck possession issues and it was wearing down on me. I try to have patience, some of the guys are never plays and I was in that spot just a couple years ago. But I felt like I had to do more than I needed to. But I was having a bad game on top of it losing some passes and letting a break away get away from me. Towards the end I knocked a pass off in the neutral zone and got a break away. I ended up over pushing the puck, raced to catch up only to over skate it at the net and lose it, I screamed motherfucker so loud in frustration, it seemed to get a lil quiet after. I hate it when I loose it like that, I need to work on my zen. It works much better playing offense. The screwy thing is I had about the best game ever just last week scoring twice with a few assists too.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Thufir posted:

To bring back bagchat, I just pulled the trigger on one of these: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/reebok-hockey-equipment-bag-pro-36in.html

hopefully it holds up better than what it's replacing.

So I got this today and holy poo poo is it huge, probably 30-40% bigger than my 32" Bauer.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

xzzy posted:

I've heard too many people say that wrapping laces will destroy entire worlds to consider trying it.

Maybe, but I've always done it, and I skate alot better and faster when it's super tight, especially at the ankles. Maybe if I could skate more often than two months each year, I'd start to build enough muscles to be able to wear them looser, but until then, I'll continue wrapping them around.

... If you are afraid of your locker room, do it discreetly and pull the socks over.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

This is pretty much like the "everyone calls me a weenie for my wheelie bag" discussion where if the people you play with are big enough douches to care if your bag has wheels or you wrap laces around your ankles in beer league, they can go gently caress themselves.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation
E.^^^^this is not at all like the stupid wheelie bag thing (which was stupid) this is a legit issue where doing something is actively bad for the player.

Anders posted:

Maybe, but I've always done it, and I skate alot better and faster when it's super tight, especially at the ankles. Maybe if I could skate more often than two months each year, I'd start to build enough muscles to be able to wear them looser, but until then, I'll continue wrapping them around.

... If you are afraid of your locker room, do it discreetly and pull the socks over.

Yeah, don't do this. You want it tight at the ankles thats fine, but wrapping prevents you from properly leaning forward which limits how much and how deep you can bend your knees. Seriously, it's bad, it's a crutch, and relying on it will hurt your develloppement.

Minister Robathan fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Minister Robathan posted:

E.^^^^this is not at all like the stupid wheelie bag thing (which was stupid) this is a legit issue where doing something is actively bad for the player.

Yeah, don't do this. You want it tight at the ankles thats fine, but wrapping prevents you from properly leaning forward which limits how much and how deep you can bend your knees. Seriously, it's bad, it's a crutch, and relying on it will hurt your develloppement.

Lack of ice hurts my development way more, and my skating, is belive it or not, actually pretty good, so I'd rather skate around for longer having fun while I have the chance to skate, than having to cut the sessions short because my feet starts to hurt due to the strain on my muscles.

I would still recomend everyone who has an issue with having their skates loose at the ankles to wrap until their muscles are strong enough to make it a none issue.