Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Store
May 2, 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fastball_Special

the top of the page posted:

This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
It needs additional citations for verification. Tagged since May 2009.
Its factual accuracy is disputed. Tagged since February 2011.
It describes a work or element of fiction in a primarily in-universe style that may require cleanup. Tagged since October 2009.
It may contain original research. Tagged since February 2011.
It may contain previously unpublished synthesis of published material that conveys ideas not attributable to the original sources. Tagged since February 2011.
Its tone or style may not reflect the formal tone used on Wikipedia. Tagged since February 2011.

quality

edit: fastball snype

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

got dat wmd posted:

Alternatively, cooties can be immunized through one child creating a square using his or her index and middle fingers (making a peace sign in each hand and laying one on top of the other).
this doesn't make a square!!! complaining on the Talk page

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

got dat wmd posted:

Alternatively, cooties can be immunized through one child creating a square using his or her index and middle fingers (making a peace sign in each hand and laying one on top of the other). The other child then pokes his index finger through the square, at which point he becomes immunized from cooties infection.

:siren: WIKIPEDIA IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE :siren:

MachDecimal
Aug 14, 2009

The presence of low-level light at night accelerates recovery rates in both east- and west-travelling hamsters of all ages by 50%; this is thought to be related to simulation of moonlight.[15]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_lag

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Did anyone ever find out what happened with the fyad wikipedia vandalization contest? I always wanted to see what hilarious crap they posted...

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

its fyad, so they probably just added "hitler" or "niggers" to a bunch of random articles and thought they were comedy geniuses

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
The Trevi fountain is featured in Respighi's symphonic pictures Fontane di Roma, and was the setting for an iconic scene in Federico Fellini's film La Dolce Vita starring Anita Ekberg and Marcello Mastroianni. The fountain was turned off and draped in black in honor of Mastroianni after the actor's death in 1996. The fountain is used for some scenes in the 1953 film Roman Holiday, starring Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck. Part of the fountain is replicated at the Italy Pavilion at Epcot in Walt Disney World, United States. The fountain itself is also a stage in Tekken Tag Tournament 2.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

Sweevo posted:

its fyad, so they probably just added "hitler" or "niggers" to a bunch of random articles and thought they were comedy geniuses

they killed a man

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Panic! At The cisco posted:

they killed a man

anne frank fanfic owns

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Panic! At The cisco posted:

they killed a man

i keep hearing about this but i would like an overview

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Nevergirls posted:

i keep hearing about this but i would like an overview

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2210

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

thanks

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

yessss

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Disease, condition or infestation?

I am not convinced that the lead sentence in this article, which defines cooties as a disease is accurate.

In the USA Pacific Northwest, where I became familiar with cooties, the condition of having cooties was definitely an infestation, perhaps parasitic, in which the large but invisible vermin could move under their own volition short distances. Also, they could survive for a short while on a chair, swing, or sofa if they happened to crawl off their host while she was seated, making such seats unsafe for a short period of time after they had been occupied by a person suspected of having this condition.

Furthermore, I am pleased to report that, in the region of my childhood, despite the danger of infestation to both sexes, only girls were ever noted to actually having been infested. Unfortunately, both the infection rate and recidivism rate were tragically high. dpotter 15:19, 3 September 2006 (UTC)

Good question. But a chronic infestation can be classified as a disease, I think. Also, in response to your claim that only girls were noted to be infested in the place of your childhood abode, it's quite possible the region was inhabited by a strain of cootie that is immediately lethal to boys, and hence you never saw any live boy so afflicted. (I have heard rumors that such a strain existed in oral histories, but have never personally come across it, until, possibly, now) The fact that girls could survive infestation would potentially lead to them acting as carriers on the order of Typhoid Mary, which is another specificity or limitation of effect that, to my knowledge, we find attributable only to diseases. --Markzero 08:39, 21 October 2006 (UTC)
[edit]

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Pigsonthewing#Jim_Hawkins_.28radio_presenter.29

british radio guy has a bio page on wiki, some guy keeps editing his birthdate and the town he lives in itno the article, british guy gets upset, so much that jimbo himself and all these other admins plead the editor to stop making edits to the article over and over

editor's response "I'm not responsible for his feelings"

IN THE NAME OF ENCYCLOPEDIC KNOWLEDGE!!!

got dat wmd fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 7, 2012

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
He showed many of the characteristics that are indicative of Asperger syndrome.[5]

first loving paragraph of alan turing's article

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
You're a good person. You do good work. You've been subjected to great difficulty by a BLP subject. I understand why you might have a chip on your shoulder and might not want to let this go. But I beg you to rise above it. Walk away with dignity. For whatever reason that you'll likely never be able to understand, the poor man has a problem with you editing his article. He expresses pain about it. Neither you nor I fully understand why. So be it. Let him go. Please.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 10:13, 3 April 2012 (UTC)

jfc you own the drat website just ban him

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

got dat wmd posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Pigsonthewing#Jim_Hawkins_.28radio_presenter.29

british radio guy has a bio page on wiki, some guy keeps editing his birthdate and the town he lives in itno the article, british guy gets upset, so much that jimbo himself and all these other admins plead the editor to stop making edits to the article over and over

it'd be hard to program a computer to be any more stubborn than that Andy Mabbett, jesus

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
if wikipedia is good for anything as a community it's that they seem to apply bans to topics and other things that are self enforced and for the most part people actually seem to honour them. there was something on the admin page about a guy who was told to stop using wikipedia all together for like a year after making a ton of lovely edits and the guy restrained himself

wikipedia is some serious loving poo poo to some people

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

yeah i just wish that the community cared more about proper journalistic principles than pedophilia and taking pictures of their own dicks

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theflyingexecutive posted:

yeah i just wish that the community cared more about proper journalistic principles than pedophilia and taking pictures of their own dicks

id say that caring about pedophilia in the way they do (all pedophiles get banned) is p good

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Install Gentoo posted:

id say that caring about pedophilia in the way they do (all pedophiles get banned) is p good

reminder from page 156

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

theflyingexecutive posted:

The “Anime News Network” has the dubious distinction of being one of the most-linked domains from Wikipedia pages.

The “Anime News Network” has the dubious distinction of being one of the most-linked domains from Wikipedia pages.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

killhamster posted:

hahahahahahaha omg please tell me you have a link for this

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

got dat wmd posted:

how many man hours of wikipedia editors' time have been devoted to earnest discussion of whether some DJ's date of birth should or should not be included in his article, and what to do about one person who is obviously making a point to be disruptive but has to be treated with kid gloves and pleaded with for days on end. god drat think of what could be achieved with all that accumulated time and effort. what kind of person do you have to be to want to fritter your time away being a wikibureaucrat. time you will never get back. ive made myself sad now

Hammerite fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 7, 2012

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Hammerite posted:

how many man hours of wikipedia editors' time have been devoted to earnest discussion of whether some DJ's date of birth should or should not be included in his article, and what to do about one person who is obviously making a point to be disruptive but has to be treated with kid gloves and pleaded with for days on end. god drat think of what could be achieved with all that accumulated time and effort. what kind of person do you have to be to want to fritter your time away being a wikibureaucrat. time you will never get back. ive made myself sad now
maybe you should stop editing Wikipedia then

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

hahahahahahaha omg please tell me you have a link for this

it's prob a little outdated but here

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Number19 posted:

maybe you should stop editing Wikipedia then

i dont? i am sad on their behalf. im a sensitive soul

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Hammerite posted:

i dont? i am sad on their behalf. im a sensitive soul
I'm sorry that was too many words to read I just skimmed it

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

killhamster posted:

it's prob a little outdated but here

maybe im reading the graph wrong but isn't anime news network almost at the bottom in terms of number of links?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bill O'Riley is GENIUS posted:

maybe im reading the graph wrong but isn't anime news network almost at the bottom in terms of number of links?

it's a top 100 list, there's probably thousands of domains below there that aren't listed

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Bill O'Riley is GENIUS posted:

do you not understand the concept of "top 100"

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

got dat wmd posted:

Disease, condition or infestation?

I am not convinced that the lead sentence in this article, which defines cooties as a disease is accurate.

In the USA Pacific Northwest, where I became familiar with cooties, the condition of having cooties was definitely an infestation, perhaps parasitic, in which the large but invisible vermin could move under their own volition short distances. Also, they could survive for a short while on a chair, swing, or sofa if they happened to crawl off their host while she was seated, making such seats unsafe for a short period of time after they had been occupied by a person suspected of having this condition.

Furthermore, I am pleased to report that, in the region of my childhood, despite the danger of infestation to both sexes, only girls were ever noted to actually having been infested. Unfortunately, both the infection rate and recidivism rate were tragically high. dpotter 15:19, 3 September 2006 (UTC)

Good question. But a chronic infestation can be classified as a disease, I think. Also, in response to your claim that only girls were noted to be infested in the place of your childhood abode, it's quite possible the region was inhabited by a strain of cootie that is immediately lethal to boys, and hence you never saw any live boy so afflicted. (I have heard rumors that such a strain existed in oral histories, but have never personally come across it, until, possibly, now) The fact that girls could survive infestation would potentially lead to them acting as carriers on the order of Typhoid Mary, which is another specificity or limitation of effect that, to my knowledge, we find attributable only to diseases. --Markzero 08:39, 21 October 2006 (UTC)
[edit]

think of all the drugs or hard liquor or woman's company it could have enjoyed in its spare time instead of doing these things

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho
scents are not well understood

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Total Fat Guy posted:

i;m so fukken glad I grew out of raves and clubbing

many of *~MY FRIENDS~* haven't and it's the saddest drat thing ever

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Edge Case Sperglor posted:

scents are not well understood

on the contrary, most wikipedia editors have a ton of experience with odor

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Monoidal t-norm-based propositional fuzzy logic MTL is an axiomatization of logic where conjunction is defined by a left continuous t-norm, and implication is defined as the residuum of the t-norm. Its models correspond to MTL-algebras that are prelinear commutative bounded integral residuated lattices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

got dat wmd posted:

You're a good person. You do good work. You've been subjected to great difficulty by a BLP subject. I understand why you might have a chip on your shoulder and might not want to let this go. But I beg you to rise above it. Walk away with dignity. For whatever reason that you'll likely never be able to understand, the poor man has a problem with you editing his article. He expresses pain about it. Neither you nor I fully understand why. So be it. Let him go. Please.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 10:13, 3 April 2012 (UTC)

jfc you own the drat website just ban him

he literally can't, they took his admin abilities away due to "violating community consensus" for deleting some anime pedo poo poo

if I remember Wikipedia bureaucracy correctly the proper way to stop him is to get a Request for Comment with an administrator which is non-binding and takes months, then if that fails it goes to the Arbitration Committee which is binding and also takes months to come up with a ruling.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 8, 2012