Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

invision posted:

Any ideas on what I should do with 10000 feet of LDH?

Straight roll it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004

invision posted:

1. Sell it to construction sites that need to cover jagged edges

2. Sell it to people with docks to line the edges so they don't damage boats

3. Attach to weighted sled and use for job-simulation work outs

4. Use as a cover for tools or as a pocket liner to prevent holes being worn into your bunker gear pockets

5. You can fold it in a way to create rescue dummies for your smoke house

We get people coming to the hall occasionally asking for some. Mostly for their docks at the cottage. Others ask for our smaller diameter hose to fill up their home-made ice rinks.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Reminalt posted:

Watch a probie straight roll it

FTFY

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

smooth.operator posted:

1. Sell it to construction sites that need to cover jagged edges

Heck, if you're doing vehicle rescue, chop it up to make your own post covers for patient and emergency worker safety during extractions.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Val Helmethead posted:

Heck, if you're doing vehicle rescue, chop it up to make your own post covers for patient and emergency worker safety during extractions.

This is probably the best idea I've heard so far.

okay now for less practical and more civilian uses.

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004

Val Helmethead posted:

That's what we use it for already so I didn't think we were any different from anywhere else.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

GoPro managed to do a pretty drat good job. Interior got hot enough that I could feel it on the back of my hands, and the camera kept on rockin'.

e:Yes I have a pink hood. Firefightin' Fabulous.

invision fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 24, 2012

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx-DOpY-k8I&feature=youtu.be

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don't know if this would be the right place to ask, but how do you go about becoming a military firefighter?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't know if this would be the right place to ask, but how do you go about becoming a military firefighter?

Talk to a recruiter for whatever branch you're interested in (USAF) and tell him you want to be a firefighter. He'll probably hassle you and try to get you to go Security Forces, but don't do that.

And that's about the whole thing!

invision
Mar 2, 2009

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/03/japanese-deterg/

I'd start watching out for this.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

invision posted:

I've heard of that, can't say I've seen it though.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
We've been having problems with meth labs lately. It's weird, we never had this kind of problem before, then all of a sudden the police find three meth labs in the span of a week. One of them was based out of some dudes van; there was a child's seat in it.

Dad of the year.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
(cross-posting in the EMS Thread)

I was sent the following video on my FD's listserve. It's pretty cool if you ask me. Seems like a pretty organized and calm operation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E6WIZ36E2s

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This video is trending on youtube. I didn't realize how flammable a house is. Everything seems to be on fire, even the inside of the walls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4MXm20jN1o

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Everything seems to be on fire, even the inside of the walls.

One of the worst things to deal with ever.

http://imgur.com/a/tVVFM

The time between the first photo and the excavator arriving was about 3 hours. That thing was used as a last resort.

Hommando fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 30, 2012

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

http://www.fireengineering.com/articles/2011/04/brush-training.html

A nice reminder about what's really important at the end of the day.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

invision posted:

We had a couple of those in the area (Kitsap Peninsula in Washington State) within this past year. Incredibly dangerous for those around the area of the person who is committing suicide. Generally they'll leave warning notes, but DEFINITELY do not count on that occurring.

Be very cautious.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

News photographers always take pictures at the worst possible time.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/9186667/US-Navy-develop-creepy-firefighting-robot.html

This thing is gonna get somebody hurt.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

That thing is creepy as gently caress

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Oh god, what?

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Wow. That's... a thing all right.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

My Spirit Otter posted:

That thing is creepy as gently caress
The only thing creepy about it is how much it mirrors my firefighting skills and tactics.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

http://atlantic.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120409/firefighters090412/20120409/?hub=AtlanticHome

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Arlington, TX is hiring without any certifications. Just a heads up.

Link:
http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/Arlington.pdf

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/news/fullstory/newsid/160660

There's something about emergency vehicles running red lights/stop signs that brings up a deep seated hatred from within me. All it takes is one inconsiderate cowboy, running a light and splattering grandma and her sedan all over the pavement, to undo years of trust and good faith you've built up within your community. It's not worth it, stop before proceeding. I like to slow down even if the light is green.

When it comes to following another apparatus, I put some serious distance between me and them.

TRUST NO ONE

I'm paranoid as gently caress and tend to assume the driver only pulled over for the first truck and he doesn't see me.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I was driving the meat wagon, transporting to a hospital outside our normal area with a patient's relative up front. I was approaching a green light (without my lights and sirens) and I heard sirens coming. I stopped, let the unit go through the intersection (they had the red) and then.... waited.

The family member in front asked me, "Why are you go-", right as a second truck and a Chief's buggy blew the intersection.

To which I replied, "That's why...". I'm not a regular driver, but I always assume there are multiple units. Especially now that most departments get a transport unit and a suppression unit on every medical and fires/alarms usually get 2+ units.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

dexter6 posted:

I was driving the meat wagon, transporting to a hospital outside our normal area with a patient's relative up front. I was approaching a green light (without my lights and sirens) and I heard sirens coming. I stopped, let the unit go through the intersection (they had the red) and then.... waited.

The family member in front asked me, "Why are you go-", right as a second truck and a Chief's buggy blew the intersection.

To which I replied, "That's why...". I'm not a regular driver, but I always assume there are multiple units. Especially now that most departments get a transport unit and a suppression unit on every medical and fires/alarms usually get 2+ units.

Dudes that just straight up run red lights are morons. There is never an emergency severe enough to scream through a red light. Unfortunately a lot of departments have this kind of reckless driving ingrained in their culture and have simply been lucky enough not to have killed someone. These same departments usually have idiots that videotape this kind of stupidity and post it to youtube, since they feel it makes them some kind of Rescue Hero. I want to find these idiots and beat their face with a tire iron.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
The county I work in has two stop lights in the entire county, and without fail every time theres a fire call (twice a year maybe) they fly through town, run the stoplight and at least one truck either gets hit or hits somebody. And the firetruck driver always gets a ticket.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
How hard is to actually get a foot in the door if I want to look into this as a career? I'm about to graduate with a liberal arts degree but I've always really wanted to do something more hands-on with my life, firefighting always seemed like a very rewarding career path. I'll be getting out with a 3.9 GPA and I'm pretty fit, but I don't know what I should be doing in terms of preparation. What would make me more competitive (aside from things like veteran points that I don't have)? Do I need to start as a volunteer and just kick rear end at it in the hopes that I get a job offer?

Basically, do I even have a chance?

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

Honey Badger posted:

How hard is to actually get a foot in the door if I want to look into this as a career? I'm about to graduate with a liberal arts degree but I've always really wanted to do something more hands-on with my life, firefighting always seemed like a very rewarding career path. I'll be getting out with a 3.9 GPA and I'm pretty fit, but I don't know what I should be doing in terms of preparation. What would make me more competitive (aside from things like veteran points that I don't have)? Do I need to start as a volunteer and just kick rear end at it in the hopes that I get a job offer?

As much as anyone else does, if you want it bad enough. What qualifications you need vary wildly by department and region. In Texas, many departments run EMS as well so you will either need to be willing to go to EMT/Paramedic school or go on your own.
If you can tell us where you live/want to work maybe someone from that area can give you a better idea.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Assuming you're just going to be paid:

Really, it depends on the qualifications that any individual department wants before they hire you. You might have a department that will train you and doesn't care so long as you've got a high school diploma (or equivalent) and can pass a civil service test. Most paid departments around here (Western Pennsylvania) want you to have at least FF1 and First Responder certs to start, and expect you to get FF2 and EMT by the end of your first year.

You might have to go volunteer for a bit just to get some of the necessary qualifications to apply.

Speaking of qualifications... got my FF1 practical on Sunday. 'bout freakin' time! After that, I get to debate whether I take First Responder or just go straight for EMT. Got a lot of folks who are saying just skip First Responder, but I'm not sure when an EMT class is going to open up that I can easily make. Most are during the weekday.

Mister Sleepy
Apr 3, 2012

Honey Badger posted:

Of course. It is very competitive, but as long as you have the minimum requirements you are in the same boat as everyone else applying. And just about every fire department test will consist of a civil service exam and an oral interview, and will rank every candidate based on their scores on those two components. If you are #1 on the list, you're probably going to get a job.

Like everyone else has been saying, the requirements and specifics vary from region to region so you really have to do some research of your own to figure out what kind of cert the departments in your area require.

911hotjobs.com is a good resource for that purpose. It gives a brief description for every town hiring and lists the minimum requirements for you, so you can see what they are looking for.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Val Helmethead posted:

I get to debate whether I take First Responder or just go straight for EMT.

If you can find an EMT course that isn't an inconvenience to your work schedule, go with that. If at some point down the road you decide that you want to go the EMS route you'll have the certs along with experience on your résumé. MFR is fine if you want to stick to primarily firefighting.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.

invision posted:

Make a faux hosebed topped with plexiglass as a table.

invision posted:

GoPro managed to do a pretty drat good job. Interior got hot enough that I could feel it on the back of my hands, and the camera kept on rockin'.

e:Yes I have a pink hood. Firefightin' Fabulous.

Awesome looking.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.

Crazy Dutchman posted:

As much as anyone else does, if you want it bad enough. What qualifications you need vary wildly by department and region. In Texas, many departments run EMS as well so you will either need to be willing to go to EMT/Paramedic school or go on your own.
If you can tell us where you live/want to work maybe someone from that area can give you a better idea.

I actually live in Austin, Texas, coincidentally, and that's where I'll be going after I graduate next month.

I don't mind getting certifications (do I do these on my own time before even applying, or is one of those things where if you are being considered for the job they set you up with courses to go to?), and I was actually considering EMT work as potential job as well, so any EMT certifications / training wouldn't hurt regardless.

Is it a good idea to do volunteer work if possible? I don't know if they even have a volunteer group in Austin, but some sites say you should always start as a volunteer while others say you can bypass that step completely.

Thanks to everyone for all the help, hopefully I can do something with this. I'm really motivated and I have no problem putting my all into it, so I just want to be as informed as possible.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Honey Badger posted:

I actually live in Austin, Texas, coincidentally, and that's where I'll be going after I graduate next month.

I don't mind getting certifications (do I do these on my own time before even applying, or is one of those things where if you are being considered for the job they set you up with courses to go to?), and I was actually considering EMT work as potential job as well, so any EMT certifications / training wouldn't hurt regardless.

Is it a good idea to do volunteer work if possible? I don't know if they even have a volunteer group in Austin, but some sites say you should always start as a volunteer while others say you can bypass that step completely.

Thanks to everyone for all the help, hopefully I can do something with this. I'm really motivated and I have no problem putting my all into it, so I just want to be as informed as possible.

What's up Texas buddy?

Some of the really large departments will take people with no certifications (see my post about Arlington three or four posts up.)

By having an EMT-B cert and going to the fire academy, you'll increase your odds of becoming a firefighter dramatically since those two are pretty much required statewide, with the few exceptions of the bigger departments like I said. Austin proper is served by Austin FD, which afaik doesn't have any volunteer slots. Your best bet is to find a smaller town or suburb around Austin and try to join there, though it's kind of a wash as to whether volly experience will get you hired.

I know ACC offers both EMT AND fire academy. You have to have an EMT cert before you can get into most (all?) fire academies in Texas.

Texas has the TCFP - Texas Commission on Fire Protection which lists almost all of the departments that are hiring in the state, and what they require:
http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp

If they say "______ Seeks Firefighter" then you're generally okay to apply without certs. If they say "______ Seeks EMT/FF" then you have to have those certifications.

Hope to see you at the testing for Arlington!

e:Looks like Lockhart down near San Marcos is also hiring - I don't know if they want certs or not, but here

Fire Fighter
FIRE FIGHTER
The City of Lockhart will be holding a Civil Service Exam for Firefighter on Saturday, May 19, 2012 to establish an eligibility list.

Starting estimated salary: $32,602 and increasing to $33,352 after one year. Possibilities for additional pay include: certification pay, educational pay, longevity pay. Benefits include: 3 weeks vacation leave annually, 3 weeks sick leave annually, 12 paid holidays, 1 personal holiday, 20 yr retirement, life insurance, & health insurance.

For application packets contact Julie Bowermon at City Hall, 308 West San Antonio Street, Lockhart, Tx 78644 or via phone at (512) 398-3461. Application packets are also available on the internet by selecting the link below.

Application Deadline: May 14th at 5:00pm.

e2:I know you said that you're already in shape, but cardio is a huge loving deal. Carrying heavy things happens, but cardio is the most important aspect of fitness for firefighting. Go run stairs with a weight vest or pick up cycling or something, it'll help you tremendously. I'll see if I can track down DFW's hiring PT test and post it here later.

invision fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 14, 2012

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Arlington PFT posted:

Event 1: Rescue Maze
(maximum time allowed 2 minutes)
Each applicant will be required to wear structural firefighting PPE. Structural firefighting PPE will consist
of a bunker coat, helmet, and gloves.
Each applicant will be required to wear an SCBA with a blacked out face piece.
Each applicant will enter the rescue maze and follow 100 feet of 1
3/4
inch hose through the rescue
maze until they exit the other end.
Each applicant must not lose contact with the hose. Contact for this event is defined as: “At least one
hand on the hose at all times.”
Failure point: (hitting any failure point means overall test failure and disqualification from continuing along in the hiring
selection process)
 Exceed maximum time allowed (2 minutes).
 Lose contact with hose (release).
Event 2: Aerial Ladder Climb
(maximum time allowed 3 minutes)
Aerial ladder will be at a 70-degree angle and extended to 75 feet.
Applicant will climb the ladder using a “truck” belt and safety line.
Applicant must touch every rung while climbing up and climbing down the aerial ladder device.
Each applicant will be instructed to remain at the top climbing rung of the aerial for 10 seconds prior to
descent.
A whistle will signify the completion of the 10 seconds. After the whistle is sounded the applicant can
then start descending the aerial ladder.
Applicant must remove ladder belt after dismounting the aerial apparatus onto the ground.10
After the applicant removes the ladder belt the next event, Event 3: Fireground Evolution, will start in
30 seconds.
Failure point: (hitting any failure point means overall test failure and disqualification from continuing along in the hiring
selection process)
 Exceed maximum time allowed (3 minutes).
 Skipping ladder rungs.
Event 3: Fireground Evolution
(maximum time allowed 4 minutes)
This event consists of five separate stages; A, B, C, D, and E.
A) Charged Hose Drag
B) Equipment Carry
C) Ventilation Simulator
D) Body Carry
E) Ladder Raise
Each stage is described below.
Applicant must wait the full 30 seconds prior to starting Event 3: Fireground Evolution.
st
Early Start is a Warning
nd
Early Start is a Failure, thus disqualifying applicant from continuing along in the hiring selection
process.
A) Charged Hose Drag
200 feet of 1
3/4
inch hose will be used for this event. This hose is to be charged and maintained at
approximately 100 psi.
Nozzle shall be secured in the closed position for the test.
Each applicant will drag the hose a distance of 100 feet then return to the starting point for a total of
200 feet. Cones shall be set up that clearly define the distance.
Each applicant will return the nozzle to the starting point.
The applicant can “aim” the nozzle straight down or forward but not backwards. The applicant must
maintain control of the nozzle throughout the entirety of this event. This is for their safety as well as
minimizing damage to the equipment.
Warning point:
 Improper aiming of the nozzle.
selection process)
 Exceed total time given for entire event.11
 Lose control of the nozzle.
 Improper aiming of the nozzle.
B) Equipment Carry
The equipment used for this portion of the event will be a ventilation fan. The fan will be located on
the ground inside a 3 feet x 3 feet area marked with paint or tape.
A cone will be placed and marked 75 feet past the 3 feet x 3 feet area. Each applicant must lift and
carry the fan around the cone and return it back to the 3 feet x 3 feet area.
Each applicant must not allow the fan to touch the ground until it is returned to the 3 feet x 3 feet area.
selection process)
 Exceed total time given for entire event.
 Fan touches ground prior to reaching return area.
 Applicant touches a cone.
C) Ventilation Simulator
An eight (8) pound lead shot hammer will be used for this event.
The applicant must drive the sled 5 feet with the sledge hammer.
The applicant must maintain control of the sledge hammer throughout this event.
No pushing or pulling of the sled by the hammer. The applicant will receive one (1) warning for each
violation.
selection process)
 Lose control of the hammer.
 No pushing or pulling the sled with hammer. 1
st
violation will result in a warning; the second
warning will result in failure.
D) Body Carry
The dummy used for this event will weigh approximately 150 pounds.
When carrying the dummy, it may be either dragged or carried in any fashion as long as the head does
not strike the ground.12
Applicant must clear all cones.
The dummy must be advanced 25 feet around the cone on a bucket of sand and returned to the
starting point for a total of 50 feet.
The entire dummy must pass the finish line that will be clearly marked by a line and/or cones.
selection process)
 Dummy’s head touches the ground.
 Applicant touches cone and/or bucket of sand.
E) Ladder Raise
Standing in a designated 2 foot x 2 foot square 6 inches from the ladder, the applicant will fully raise
(extend) and lower the top (fly) section of a permanently fixed 24 foot ladder twice by using the handover-hand method.
The applicant must not allow his/her feet to step outside of the lines of the box.
The applicant must not allow the rope to slide through his/her hands to lower the fly section or step
out of the designated square. The applicant will receive one (1) warning for each violation.
Warning point:
 First violation will result in a warning of any of the following:
o Steps outside of the lines of the box.
o Allows rope to slide through hands.
o Does not use hand over hand method.
selection process)
 Second violation of any of the following will result in failure:
o Steps outside of the lines of the box.
o Allows rope to slide through hands.
o Does not use hand over hand method

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004
Like invision, I am also in Texas. I'm a FF/Paramedic with a city in the DFW metroplex. As invision said, most larger departments will hire you without any certifications. Some may or may not give you extra points/preference for already having Fire or EMS certifications. Smaller departments will want you to have your fire + either EMT or Paramedic certs already. At large depts you will be competing with hundreds or thousands for a spot, while smaller depts you may only be competing with 10 others to get hired. Keep in mind though that small depts may only hire one or two new folks a year, while Dallas, etc. hire in the hundreds. Most Texas departments run their local EMS systems, meaning that you will be riding an ambulance as well as the fire engine/truck. Austin, Arlington, Fort Worth and some other large depts, as well as really small rural departments don't run EMS, but most still will train you or want you to have your EMT-Basic certification. Starting pay ranges from mid $20's for really small depts to mid $50's for the rich suburbs.
If you elect to get certifications on your own, many community colleges have both EMS and Fire programs. EMT-Basic is a semester or less, while Paramedic ranges from 9 months to two years, depending on the programs format. Fire academy is about 3 months long.
Invision is incorrect about fire academy requiring EMT before you can go. What IS required is in order to get your basic firefighter certification from the TCFP, you have to have a certain amount of medical training. Most people elect to just get their EMT training, since they will need that anyway. I think technically you can get a red cross first aid cert, but that is otherwise useless.
Having a paramedic certification is usually worth more than your fire certification, since paramedic school is much longer, and the test is much harder. Anyone with a pulse and half a brain can pass the TCFP exams, but the National Registry Paramedic test is a bit tougher.
As far as being in shape, the Arlington test is one of the harder ones I've seen. You don't have to be in awesome shape to be a fireman, but it makes the job a whole lot easier and helps with injury prevention.
Volunteering is not really beneficial as far as getting hired, unless you are making personal connections with someone who can get you a paying job. It can help you decide if you want to do this for a living, but there really is a difference between doing this as a volunteer and getting paid to do it.
This site: http://tml.associationcareernetwork.com/JobSeeker/Jobs.aspx?abbr=TML
is also a good place to look for openings as well as the TCFP site invision linked in his post.

• Locked thread