Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tank9900
Mar 27, 2004

English, motherfucker, do you speak it?

Cymbal Monkey posted:

If it's bright white I'd go at that bitch with bleach and maybe a little citrisolv. Note: if your shirt isn't 100% cotten, don't use citrisolv because it will actually eat your shirt.

Just dab the white spots with bleach? The tag doesn't mention what the shirt is made of, but a quick google search shows that it is (most likely) 100% polyester, so I'll just avoid the citrisolv. The stain is already fading a bit as the shirt dries, so I guess I'll just spot bleach the parts that need it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Samopsa posted:

First: what the hell, are your friends 14 or something?

Second: You can make the group private if you are an admin. Check the group settings, under privacy. I don't think you can change the privacy settings of a single post in a group, because that goes agains the idea of the group.

They're not, but a lot of people judge people for being into it because of the lovely (and semi accurate) stereotypes of typical Warhammer players.

Just found out it was because the group was set to public without people being informed. I'm not an admin, just a regular person. I'm happy for people to see the posts if they specifically open the group in FB but not keen on it going on everyone's status feed. Is there a setting for that? The admin set the group back to "Closed" which I believe makes all the posts invisible unless someone's a member?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yeah, if the group is closed only members can see posts. I don't know about posts showing up in other people's feed though if it's public. I don't think you can avoid that.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
That sucks. Chalk another one up for FB and idiots in charge of privacy.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Daedleh posted:

They're not, but a lot of people judge people for being into it because of the lovely (and semi accurate) stereotypes of typical Warhammer players.

Just found out it was because the group was set to public without people being informed. I'm not an admin, just a regular person. I'm happy for people to see the posts if they specifically open the group in FB but not keen on it going on everyone's status feed. Is there a setting for that? The admin set the group back to "Closed" which I believe makes all the posts invisible unless someone's a member?

That should keep it from showing up on your feed to anyone who is a non-member. However, a private group that I am in recently had a scare of pictures and videos showing up on members' feeds that were shared in the group. As it turned out, though, they only showed up on our feed to other members of the group (so random other people didn't get them). And it only happened with members who had the new timeline, not with people who hadn't switched over yet. Stupid Facebook bugs...

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

tank9900 posted:

Just dab the white spots with bleach? The tag doesn't mention what the shirt is made of, but a quick google search shows that it is (most likely) 100% polyester, so I'll just avoid the citrisolv. The stain is already fading a bit as the shirt dries, so I guess I'll just spot bleach the parts that need it?

Yeah, bleach will most like get rid of the stain.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Dabizi posted:

I "get" (mostly) how GPS works, but with the recent Tomtom GPS leap year bug in the news, I'm at a loss to explain what exactly is the technical problem here. It seems like if the leap year occurred and the Tomtoms weren't ready for it, they'd still be accurate. Their dates would be one day ahead, but since the minuscule time difference is what actually matters, as long as the dates are consistently wrong, they should still work.

But apparently this is wrong! Can someone explain?

The problem is likely only tangentially related to the leap year - computers don't keep track of dates in the same way that we do. (They tend to measure the number of seconds since some epoch date, traditionally Jan 1, 1970, 00:00.0000, although I'm not sure if this is actually what GPS uses.) GPS satellites transmit the current time, along with information about their orbit. A receiver can use this information to figure out how distant the satellite is, and draws a 3D sphere of all possible positions that the device could be in. It uses 4 satellites to draw 4 separate spheres, and concludes that the receiver is in the position where they all overlap.

If I had to guess, I'd say that someone lost a leap-second somewhere, causing the GPS receiver to think that each satellite should be 1 second behind where it actually is in it's orbit. Drawing the spheres around each of the 4 satellites wouldn't result in a single consistent intersection point, and the GPS device wouldn't be able to pintpoint it's actual location.

idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Try Handbrake.

Which oddly, does MPEG-4, not MPEG-2. Or h.264

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830
I know that all the craters on the Moon are due to meteor impacts but why are there no visible meteors leftover? Some of those craters are very large and it seems as if there should be some remnants leftover even if it does shatter upon impact.

Or does it shatter to the point where it becomes dust or very small fragments not visible from pictures?

Julien Sorel fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 6, 2012

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Oncogene posted:

I know that all the craters on the Moon are due to meteor impacts but why are there no visible meteors leftover? Some of those craters are very large and it seems as if there should be some remnants leftover even if it does shatter upon impact.

Or does it shatter to the point where it becomes dust or very small fragments not visible from pictures?

I assume the lack of an atmosphere would cause them to not burn up, so the resulting explosion would be much bigger than it would be on earth. Just my theory on it.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

idoliside posted:

Which oddly, does MPEG-4, not MPEG-2. Or h.264

h.264 technically is MPEG-4, but if your disc doesn't have copy protection, MPEG Streamclip will do everything you're asking for and more.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Wagonburner posted:

I saw this on modaco forums, in the walmart fabric section there's this clear vinyl stuff like is used for screen protectors on a new clock radio or something when its in the package. It's like $1 for a big sheet of it. I made some protectors with it before for old winmo and symbian phones, get the screen a tiny bit wet and it goes on easy.

Don't know how well it would work on touchscreen things though, I've tried some pre-made screen protectors more rigid than this stuff on my android and I don't like them, would probably like this less, but that's mainly because it feels weird to swipe or slide across. If all you're doing is hitting a button here and there it may be just great.

I just looked at a video about that, I think I'll try it. It says it works on touch screens. My GPS units are not touch screen but they get dropped and abused and ran over with ATVs and whatnot and by the end of the season the screens are scratched to hell. Just trying to delay the inevitable. Thanks!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Oncogene posted:

IANA astronomer, but bigger craters would also mean bigger explosions and more likelihood of vaporising the meteor. Plus debris raining down would probably cover any remains, so there may well be buried meteorite at the centre. See if NASA has anything on it - nickel-iron meteorites at least should show up on magnetometer readings, though I'm not sure how sensitive the detectors on the lunar orbiters are.

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!

Mak0rz posted:

I need a quick and dirty way to convert segments of video files (WMV or MPEG) into animated gifs. Is there a program out there that I can feed a video file and designate a timeframe(s) (e.g. 1:32 to 1:43) and it spits out a gif of the video between those times?

Windows preferred, but I can use Linux and OSX programs too if it comes to that.

VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod if you require MKV, OGM or Dolby AC-3 support.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Oncogene posted:

The impacts are always really powerful, destroying any meteor on impact. All the contents of the meteor will be spread around the impact site, mixed with moonrock. I think to avoid such an explosion the diameter of a meteor needs to be around a few meters max, depending on speed of course.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Oncogene posted:

I spent a few minutes looking around moon.google.com for you. Here you go: http://www.google.com/moon/#lat=-43.739352&lon=-8.305664&zoom=6&apollo=

There's a huge lump sticking out of the middle of that crater and I'm going to go ahead and assume that it's a meteor.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tarepanda posted:

There's a huge lump sticking out of the middle of that crater and I'm going to go ahead and assume that it's a meteor.

The "lump" in the center of craters are caused by impact recoil. They aren't meteors.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The levels of energy involved in a meteorite impact are so high they go beyond common sense. The rock literally splashes as if it was liquid, and the meteorite itself penetrates completely into the ground. Anything that breaks in the process doesn't become a couple of large shards like a broken glass on earth, it gets completely pulverized and spread over a wide area.

The thick sand-like dust covering the moon was formed from every meteorite impact over the billions of years the moon has been around.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a term for the phenomenon where you go into Wikipedia to look at one thing and then an hour later you have like 50 unread wikipedia tabs open?

I mean other than "curiosity" :haw:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Is there a term for the phenomenon where you go into Wikipedia to look at one thing and then an hour later you have like 50 unread wikipedia tabs open?

Tv tropes has Wiki Walk, but...TV tropes. It's not a bad term, aside from that fact.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Martytoof posted:

I'm not sure if you'd find such a word on anything but UrbanDictionary, but it has two terms for that: "Wikipedia bender" and "Wikipedia attack."

I like "Wikipedia bender" myself :haw:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I'm now trying to identify my vending machine. It's a Vendo machine with a coke logo on the front, and the safety manual I found inside of it is from 1986. I was able to find the serial number location, but the only numbers I could decipher were these from the serial number part: 040914. There are some pictures here. Can anyone help me figure out what model this is, so I can get a user's manual and figure out how to work the electronics? I'm obviously going to get more money selling it with those in working order than without.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Martytoof posted:

Falling into a Wikihole.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Lance Streetman posted:

Tv tropes has Wiki Walk, but...TV tropes. It's not a bad term, aside from that fact.

What do people have against TV tropes, out of curiousity? Is it just that it expanded way beyond the scope of television? The "Tv tropes" themselves seem to be relatively accurate.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

RaoulDuke12 posted:

What do people have against TV tropes, out of curiousity? Is it just that it expanded way beyond the scope of television? The "Tv tropes" themselves seem to be relatively accurate.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470622

There are a lot of things wrong with tv tropes. The This Troper series on youtube sums it up pretty well.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Ah okay, I've never ventured into the forums or outside of the TV portions of the wiki really, so I just thought it was horribly unorganized and bloated. That's insane.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BottleEpisode

I thought it was just pretty much stuff like that.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 6, 2012

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Similar to Martytoof's question and the SA-coined term, "wikigroaning," is there a term for the anguish of finding a TV Tropes article that doesn't acknowledge key pieces of classic literature, yet has hundreds of references to anime, webcomics, and lovely fanfiction?

For example, several articles on dystopias and the far future of the earth don't even mention HG Wells and his half-dozen books that pretty much invented these tropes.

buzz wing wow
Aug 2, 2010
Is there a thread or website similar to youtubes but with audio only? So people upload audio for everyone to listen to? Not original music, like soundcloud, but funny audio recordings? A pretty out there question, but just wondering.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

buzz wing wow posted:

Is there a thread or website similar to youtubes but with audio only? So people upload audio for everyone to listen to? Not original music, like soundcloud, but funny audio recordings? A pretty out there question, but just wondering.

Tindeck's the closest I know. Although there's no handy related section, just "what is popular now," which is always like 90% homestuck poo poo.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Is there any sort of program I can use to check if a scratched disc, such as a PC game, is still 100% readable and working or not? Essentially I'm trying to avoid getting several hours into a game only to find out the disc is hosed.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
My anniversary is coming up fairly soon, and I'd like a mirror and brush set kind of like this. Everything I've seen so online is either vintage stuff that's not in good shape/has someone else's initials embossed on it or to be blunt, cheap junk. Where can I find something like this new? Jewelry store? Upscale department store? What the heck are they even called? I don't mind spending some money on this if I can find something I like.

e: This would be a gift for my wife, not for me in case that wasn't clear.

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 7, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
How come silicone cookware is so popular now instead of glass/pyrex, plastic, or metal?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Panic Restaurant posted:

Is there any sort of program I can use to check if a scratched disc, such as a PC game, is still 100% readable and working or not? Essentially I'm trying to avoid getting several hours into a game only to find out the disc is hosed.

Try copying the contents of the disc onto a folder on your hard drive. If it can finish without throwing any errors at you, then the disc is readable all the way through.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

tarepanda posted:

How come silicone cookware is so popular now instead of glass/pyrex, plastic, or metal?

Have you tried it? It's bloody awesome! It's way easier to get your stuff out of, easier to clean, and it even comes in funky colours and shapes!

Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011
Looks like some rear end in a top hat's trying to rip me off, the tracking number he gave me isn't working. Claims to be located in Hong Kong, did a whois and the website server's registered in Canada.

Paid online via a Visa CC, what's the process for filing a chargeback on this fucker?

e: Need specifics, what evidence I should gather when filing my claim and everything

Zotwoz fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 7, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

BonHair posted:

Have you tried it? It's bloody awesome! It's way easier to get your stuff out of, easier to clean, and it even comes in funky colours and shapes!

I agree! I'm just wondering what drove them to be so popular recently.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
My company's making me travel suddenly, which means I'm spending my own cash on the things I need to travel for them. A suitcase, meals out, etc. Can I claim these as work expenses on my taxes next year? And if so, what will I need? Just the receipts?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Liar posted:

My company's making me travel suddenly, which means I'm spending my own cash on the things I need to travel for them. A suitcase, meals out, etc. Can I claim these as work expenses on my taxes next year? And if so, what will I need? Just the receipts?

They don't reimburse you for meals? Wow...that's lovely. How do they get away with that?

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
Can someone help me find a Family Guy bit? There was this one part of an episode where Peter's voice was changed into a regular guy's voice. He was sitting at the bar with his buddies but instead of being all whiney he had a clear deep voice and was like "could you guys keep it down? we're trying to enjoy the bar!" or something eequally dorky. I don't know the season or episode or anything, and since there's a lot of voice gags on FG google isn't helping me. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Liar posted:

What sort of company doesn't have you fill out an expense report and won't reimburse you for business-related expenses?