Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

dexefiend posted:

I can't. I am in study mode until May 11. :smith:

:emo:-Actuary
Ah HA! Diecon happens in late June!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wwen
Oct 13, 2006

I've been considering dipping my toes into this, but I'd like to take a more informed approach than I did with getting into 40k. The two player battle box looks sweet, but I'd prefer Trollbloods to the other armies. The aesthetic of the others just doesn't do it for me at the moment. So, should I get two battle groups or maybe the battlebox and add the Trollbloods? It's a bit more expensive, but perhaps it'd provide me with a little more variety. Looks like the battlebox comes with a mini core rulebook like the 40k AoBR does, which I like. Not that I don't like to read over some fluff, but I don't want to carry a hard back tome around when I'm trying to look up something.

Any feedback would be totally sweet.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Screw the 'deal' of the two player box and go with the army you like. The most important thing in the game is to play whatever you think is awesome. If you think Trollbloods are the best, my recommendation is to grab their battlebox and a good unit (fennblades would work) and go from there. That said, if you like Khador or Menoth, go ahead and grab the 2 player box, 'cause why not.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Arlaharen posted:

It's a normal advance which you can interrupt with your combat action. After you're done fighting you resume your movement and go wherever. Great way of punishing somebody who wants to trade beatsticks with a countercharge or ran to engage in order to tie you down.

So counter-charge doesn't trigger until the end of the movement after the combat action.... That's a clever way around counter-charge. I'll to remember that with my cav.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Just spent the better part of an hour removing the hands from warpwolf stalker swords and dervish sais. Now to construct the Ironbacks.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Wwen posted:

Any feedback would be totally sweet.

If you like Trollbloods, I'd recommend picking up their warpack first and playing some games with that until you feel comfortable with the rules of fury and beasts. After that, I'd pick up a heavy warbeast and a unit to bump up to a 25 point level and start learning that.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

Acceptableloss posted:

So counter-charge doesn't trigger until the end of the movement after the combat action.... That's a clever way around counter-charge. I'll to remember that with my cav.

Not sure if you get around the actual counter-charge ability but I don't have my books around so I can't check the wording. I meant counter-charge in a more "I'll put some stuff here and if he goes for it I'm going to charge him with my weaponmasters next turn" way.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't know about Counter-Charge, but you can definitely use Ride-by-Attack to get around Admonition.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
So excited to play today. Yesterday I took Kraye, 2 Hunters and a Centurion against eKrueger and two Stalkers, but we stopped end of round two. I rolled like such a boss and killed the first stalker with two boosted shots from Kraye and two boosted, aimed shots from the Hunters. The second one failed a charge on Kraye by .2 of an inch and the Centurion demolished it. My wife was pissed.

Today I'm probably going up against either Khador or Mercs. It's gonna be awesome!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Ashcans posted:

I don't know about Counter-Charge, but you can definitely use Ride-by-Attack to get around Admonition.

Countercharge occurs when an enemy model advances and ends its movement within 6". So as long as you dart in, do your action, dart out to greater than 6", you are fine.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

crime fighting hog posted:

So excited to play today. Yesterday I took Kraye, 2 Hunters and a Centurion against eKrueger and two Stalkers, but we stopped end of round two. I rolled like such a boss and killed the first stalker with two boosted shots from Kraye and two boosted, aimed shots from the Hunters. The second one failed a charge on Kraye by .2 of an inch and the Centurion demolished it. My wife was pissed.

Today I'm probably going up against either Khador or Mercs. It's gonna be awesome!

Told you that list was boss. The more I look at Centurions, the more I like them. It's amazing how much that extra 2 ARM matters on your reach heavy, especially since you can make them unchargable.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Tanon posted:

Told you that list was boss. The more I look at Centurions, the more I like them. It's amazing how much that extra 2 ARM matters on your reach heavy, especially since you can make them unchargable.

Yeah, its like saying "Hey, I take 5.5 less damage from every charge attack! Suck it!!"

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Tanon posted:

My first game today against SA forums superstar Ezekiel Rage (post more you douche) I went up against eMagnus, Rocinante, Nomad and a Renegade. First turn I move up some, nothing in range, space out my Hunters and have the Centurion run his 8 inches.

He moves everyone up 6 inches. Rocinante blew off a hunter's gun (shucks) and his Renegade's rocket didn't do much to my memory.

My round two, I give the Centurion 3 focus, cast Full Tilt and pop Horsepower. The Centurion's charge range is now 13 inches (4 base, doubled to eight, horsepower for 2 inches, and 3 for charging). 15 inch threat range with reach. I charge the Renegade in front of Magnus, hit Magnus twice and it was over.

I couldn't believe how loving far that thing went, and imagined what a Stormclad could have done instead. My mind was blown.

"I instantly demand a rematch".

Game two I lost, simply because I forgot to give the Centurion pathfinder to get over the wreck base of a Nomad to get to Magnus. Kraye died to Rocinante very easily. I'm still not used to dealing with focus and jack attacks since I've really only played as Terminus before. But it's lots of fun!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Shamelessly stealing this list from Muse on Minis:

Army Name: Doomshaper2 likes Double Bombers
Trollbloods
50+6 points, 19 models

Hoarluk Doomshaper, Rage of Dhunia +6 points
* 2x Dire Troll Bomber 10 points each
* Mulg the Ancient 12 points
* Pyre Troll 5 points
* Troll Axer 6 points
* Troll Impaler 5 points
* Runebearer 2 points

4 Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes 3 points
Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew 1 point
Troll Whelps 2 points

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I tried out the wraith engine yesterday and it was pretty sweet! I like the idea of running it with scaverous, so heres a potential 50pt list:

Lord Exhumator Scaverous (*5pts)
* Nightwretch (4pts)
* Ripjaw (5pts)
* Deathjack (12pts)
* Skarlock Thrall (2pts)
Wraith Engine (9pts)
Bane Thralls (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Bane Thrall Officer & Standard (3pts)
Bile Thralls (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Mechanithralls (Leader and 9 Grunts) (5pts)
Warwitch Siren (2pts)

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
This was the list I tried out yesterday. Went fairly horrible, because stealth is the only thing that completely fucks it over and my opponent was playing Menoth and had a bunch of stealthy units and a caster with Occultation. Still, fun game. Dropping covering fire on your caster is an awesome way to protect him from melee attacks from sisters of flame and the like.

System: Warmachine
Faction: Vyros - Dawn's Talon (NQ35)
Casters: 1/1
Tiers: 4
Dawnlord Vyros (*6pts)
* Hydra (8pts)
* Hydra (8pts)
* Manticore (7pts)
* Manticore (7pts)
Heavy Rifle Team (Leader and Grunts) (2pts)
Arcanist (1pts)
Arcanist (1pts)
Dawnguard Destor Thane (4pts)
Dawnguard Scyir (2pts)
* Griffon (4pts)
Dawnguard Scyir (2pts)
* Griffon (4pts)

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Swags posted:

This was the list I tried out yesterday. Went fairly horrible, because stealth is the only thing that completely fucks it over and my opponent was playing Menoth and had a bunch of stealthy units and a caster with Occultation. Still, fun game. Dropping covering fire on your caster is an awesome way to protect him from melee attacks from sisters of flame and the like.

System: Warmachine
Faction: Vyros - Dawn's Talon (NQ35)
Casters: 1/1
Tiers: 4
Dawnlord Vyros (*6pts)
* Hydra (8pts)
* Hydra (8pts)
* Manticore (7pts)
* Manticore (7pts)
Arcanist (1pts)
Arcanist (1pts)
Dawnguard Scyir (2pts)
* Griffon (4pts)
Dawnguard Scyir (2pts)
* Griffon (4pts)

Not going to dissect the list since I know it was for built for funsies, but I'll just say that the Phoenix is a great antidote to Daughter of the Flame, and goes great with Vyros, in general.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Swags posted:

This was the list I tried out yesterday. Went fairly horrible, because stealth is the only thing that completely fucks it over and my opponent was playing Menoth and had a bunch of stealthy units and a caster with Occultation.

Uh Menoth doesn't have any units that naturally come with Stealth. The caster you are talking about is Thyra who comes with Occultation. Was he doing the carry over of Daughters had Stealth in mk1. I still find people doing that even though it is incorrect.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Yeah, Stealth should only affect one unit, unless the Menite had Mercs with him, as they can hire some dudes w/ Stealth.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
The main things that had stealth were the Idrians, due to Occultation, and then Thyra, because of upkeep and then cast type of nonsense. Also, Nicia. The daughter didn't have Stealth, but he managed to spread them out far enough to avoid all AoEs until they finally got into melee.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Swags posted:

The main things that had stealth were the Idrians, due to Occultation, and then Thyra, because of upkeep and then cast type of nonsense. Also, Nicia. The daughter didn't have Stealth, but he managed to spread them out far enough to avoid all AoEs until they finally got into melee.

But upkeep then cast doesn't really matter because Stealth is on the model / unit that currently has the upkeep on them. It's not like Snipe where you upkeep and activate that unit to get the benefit then activate caster and cast it on someone else for them to get the benefit; when they activate.

Though you are right Nicia does have Stealth as well. Anyway I don't mean to armchair quarter back I'm just trying to make sure you weren't cheated.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

So I now have a unit of Kayazy assassins to use along with my WGDS.

...How the gently caress do I play with so many infantry on the table and not jam myself/play a turn in a timely manner?

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Use the Kayazy to secure a flank while you jam the middle/objectives with Winterguard, Kayazy zip in and murder everything that hasn't died to sprays/rockets. As to how to do it quickly, get two unambiguously different colors of dice and roll to-hit and damage at the same time (a good practice in general for speeding up infantry activations).

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Cross posting this junk since it is my first attempt at doing snow bases:

Here is the Man-O-War unit assembled on a snowy field.

These two troopers are displaying the small arms fire they took in an earlier battle.

The bottom section of the halberds were missing when I got this set in the mail. I guess their previous owner didn't like them? I don't know it looked okay to me so I left them shortened.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

You all can eat my big, fat

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/books/warmachine-colossals

E: A video talking about the KRAKEN HAS BEEN RELEASED

http://privateerpress.com/community/privateer-insider/insider-4-9-2012

crime fighting hog fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 9, 2012

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Also, took on eVayl yesterday with Kraye in 15 mangled metal. Holy poo poo what a close game, I barely pulled a win out. The Centurion took out a Scythian easily, then fell to a Ravagor, with which 4 rounds of Hunter shots and lovely dice rolls left it with 1 box alive several times. I couldn't believe that monster's luck.

He pulled it into a forest and I dropped Mage Sight and rolled just enough damage to finally kill it with my last Hunter shot. eVayl hit Kraye with 2 spells, knocked him to half-boxes and then charged in a Shredder and knocked Kraye to 1 box and conceded. Jesus, the luck on both sides of such a small point game made it way more fun than most of my bigger games.

I still can't believe how wonderful Full Tilt+Horsepower on a reach jack is.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

crime fighting hog posted:

Also, took on eVayl yesterday with Kraye in 15 mangled metal. Holy poo poo what a close game, I barely pulled a win out. The Centurion took out a Scythian easily, then fell to a Ravagor, with which 4 rounds of Hunter shots and lovely dice rolls left it with 1 box alive several times. I couldn't believe that monster's luck.

He pulled it into a forest and I dropped Mage Sight and rolled just enough damage to finally kill it with my last Hunter shot. eVayl hit Kraye with 2 spells, knocked him to half-boxes and then charged in a Shredder and knocked Kraye to 1 box and conceded. Jesus, the luck on both sides of such a small point game made it way more fun than most of my bigger games.

I still can't believe how wonderful Full Tilt+Horsepower on a reach jack is.

I really want to wait for the Centurion chassis plastic box before I get one, so the only reach jack I have is the Gallant, good thing it fills the same point hole perfectly. The extra mat and def sort of make up for the lost armour and strength.

Also, for the Kraken video... I'm... not a big fan. I wish they had gone with all tentacles or all legs. Both of them on there just makes it a busy looking, in a bad way.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I'm liking the Kraken model. It has this kind of bulldog style aggressiveness about its design, where all the...flow of the model I guess, is towards the front. It'll be nice to get a big heavy hitter in Cryx since I've resisted getting the Deathjack. I love the concept art for the Deathjack but I just can't stand the model for some reason. I think its the hands.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

AttackBacon posted:

I'm liking the Kraken model. It has this kind of bulldog style aggressiveness about its design, where all the...flow of the model I guess, is towards the front. It'll be nice to get a big heavy hitter in Cryx since I've resisted getting the Deathjack. I love the concept art for the Deathjack but I just can't stand the model for some reason. I think its the hands.

Total derail but where is your avatar from?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

AttackBacon posted:

Yea, I hate how big the Scyrah jacks are, but the Krakken looks sweet! I cannot wait to read its rules. I saw the page on their website for the book, is it actually out / out soon, or is it not coming out until the models drop next month?

Aristocrat
Dec 24, 2005
The Kraken looks amazing. I kind of wish it had three legs instead of four though.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That's funny, because I was thinking that it would look better with six instead of four! I do think it looks pretty sweet, though, and I'm interested to see what the torture-fuel mechanic is. The way they describe it makes it sound like more than just corpse/soul tokens.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Total derail but where is your avatar from?

Dark Souls. If you have either an Xbox 360 or PS3, you should buy it. There's a dude name Solaire, and he's the best bro you'll ever find. He's just so Grossly Incandescent.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

gobbledygoat posted:

Also, for the Kraken video... I'm... not a big fan. I wish they had gone with all tentacles or all legs. Both of them on there just makes it a busy looking, in a bad way.

Yep, should have actually made it look like an octopus (or for once, an actual spider model). even if it's awesome I won't buy it just because it looks pretty retarded. It's a loving mutant narwhal. The big gun in the middle is just completely out of place and so are the tentacles. Someone high up at pp has terrible taste.

Washout fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 10, 2012

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Nah that model is just payback for all the bullshit broken rules. :v:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

That model loving owns, and you're all gonna get owned by it. Sorry bros.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

It's got a War of the Worlds vibe that's growing on me. Might try to give it tentacle legs instead of the spider ones.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Locomotive breath posted:

Dark Souls. If you have either an Xbox 360 or PS3, you should buy it. There's a dude name Solaire, and he's the best bro you'll ever find. He's just so Grossly Incandescent.

It's also coming out for PC in an expanded edition so if you have a good PC wait for that!

Anyways derail over: One thing that is really interesting about the Kraken is that it looks to be almost primarily a ranged threat, something Cryx is light on. It has the Nartillery Cannon, the Trigun, and I would be shocked if the tentacles didn't have a ranged attack as well (like Proteus) or at least Chain Strike for the 4' reach. I wonder what you could pull off with Black Spot or Mortenbra humping it.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

AttackBacon posted:

the Nartillery Cannon

Holy poo poo, best name ever. I think the Kraken looks really sweet... NOW WHERE'S MY JUDICATOR?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

S.J. posted:

That model loving owns, and you're all gonna get owned by it. Sorry bros.

• Locked thread