Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Chaostime posted:

Guh, are we back to filler eps again?
I almost can't put into words the gut-wrenching emotion I experienced when I started watching this week's episode after finally thinking this show was going somewhere with the assembling of the ninja army last week.

It's like a gigantic slap to the viewers' faces to have this filler episode come out of nowhere, retread plot that has already been shown multiple times, and introduce a new opening that might just be in the running for worst song of all time.

They're hurting this show sooooooo bad by not just going on hiatus and releasing episodes clear of any filler. I haven't read the manga, but was the whole "Naruto, hide in this turtle shell and gather animals" plot that happened within the canon episodes a few weeks ago made up for filler? It feels so out of place when they smash the original work with this garbage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
FYI the filler thing is part of the 10 year celebration for the show. Not sure why they're doing it now, rather than the fall when it actually started airing, but there you go. I assume part of it is to refresh memories on the early part of the show before moving in to the endgame.

Also the episode did have some manga content, only a tiny bit, but it was there.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

I haven't read the manga, but was the whole "Naruto, hide in this turtle shell and gather animals" plot that happened within the canon episodes a few weeks ago made up for filler? It feels so out of place when they smash the original work with this garbage!

I haven't watched the anime for a while, but Naruto investigating the island's wildlife (ARMADILLO PENIS!) happened in the manga, though I wouldn't be surprised if the anime expanded it.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
Finally the plot is picking up! I can't wait for the next episode. Naruto will probably do his best to befriend this Sasuke guy now that they know they have something in common. Also there were some big hints about a myth arc, like the way everyone seems to hate Naruto with no reason, and the old guy (who is he? He looked important) refusing to tell Naruto who his parents are. There's bound to be more of a story there.

What I'm really curious about is Sakura, because she's clearly important but she got sort of left out of the spotlight this episode. Seeing as she's being set up as part of a trio of main characters I'm betting in a few episodes we will be seeing her coming into her own and being on equal terms with Naruto and Sasuke. I'm kind of disappointed in that we seem to be headed for the tired old shonen romance plot where she ignores Naruto and hates him for like 300 episodes and then suddenly changes her mind and they live happily ever after, but hey, this leaves plenty of room for Sakura to pleasantly surprise us by doing something different.

I have to admit the plot is in too much of a rush for my taste -- the headband thing kind of came out of nowhere and its significance was never explained, and particularly about 3/4 into the episode the narrative became erratic (Specifically the part where suddenly Team 7 and Kakashi are out on a field trip and 2 people with gas masks and a chain come out of a puddle and attack them, without any indication for why this is happening and how exactly we got there). But I have to say I fully understand the producers there; they want to avoid the trap so many shonen series fall into, where instead of advancing the plot we retread old ground, explore useless fluff and get hung up on time-wasters instead of getting to the important points the audience cares about.

So all in all I think this shows a lot of promise, and whatever early pains this arc is experiencing will go away during the next few episodes. Let's see where this goes next week!

N.B. Did anyone else see the ending? It was totally packed with foreshadowing. There was a bit of grown-up Naruto and Sasuke sparring, some yet-unintroduced characters and a lot of focus on Sakura and this other blue-haired girl, standing there and looking worried. Who do you think the other girl is? I don't think we've met her yet...

Triple Elation fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 7, 2012

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Triple Elation posted:

Finally the plot is picking up! I can't wait for the next episode. Naruto will probably do his best to befriend this Sasuke guy now that they know they have something in common. Also there were some big hints about a myth arc, like the way everyone seems to hate Naruto with no reason, and the old guy (who is he? He looked important) refusing to tell Naruto who his parents are. There's bound to be more of a story there.

What I'm really curious about is Sakura, because she's clearly important but she got sort of left out of the spotlight this episode. Seeing as she's being set up as part of a trio of main characters I'm betting in a few episodes we will be seeing her coming into her own and being on equal terms with Naruto and Sasuke. I'm kind of disappointed in that we seem to be headed for the tired old shonen romance plot where she ignores Naruto and hates him for like 300 episodes and then suddenly changes her mind and they live happily ever after, but hey, this leaves plenty of room for Sakura to pleasantly surprise us by doing something different.

I have to admit the plot is in too much of a rush for my taste -- the headband thing kind of came out of nowhere and its significance was never explained, and particularly about 3/4 into the episode the narrative became erratic (Specifically the part where suddenly Team 7 and Kakashi are out on a field trip and 2 people with gas masks and a chain come out of a puddle and attack them, without any indication for why this is happening and how exactly we got there). But I have to say I fully understand the producers there; they want to avoid the trap so many shonen series fall into, where instead of advancing the plot we retread old ground, explore useless fluff and get hung up on time-wasters instead of getting to the important points the audience cares about.

So all in all I think this shows a lot of promise, and whatever early pains this arc is experiencing will go away during the next few episodes. Let's see where this goes next week!

N.B. Did anyone else see the ending? It was totally packed with foreshadowing. There was a bit of grown-up Naruto and Sasuke sparring, some yet-unintroduced characters and a lot of focus on Sakura and this other blue-haired girl, standing there and looking worried. Who do you think the other girl is? I don't think we've met her yet...
This is pure gold.

I wish there was a breakdown of every filler episode like this, such as looking into the symbolism the show creators fit into Naruto's urine rainbow.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 7, 2012

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not a single post since 4/7. I'm not far enough along to know, but is it filler all the way down from there?

Also that Naruto picture makes him look like Kankuro turned his corpse into a puppet or something

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 29, 2012

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

Not a single post since 4/7. I'm not far enough along to know, but is it filler all the way down from there?

Yes. The last one I watched didn't even have a single frame of original animation, they just cut and pasted from pre-shippuuden episodes

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Haha loving hell, what the gently caress is wrong with this series

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

Haha loving hell, what the gently caress is wrong with this series

They're recapping the events of the last 10 years

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if you're being critical of the product or trying to defend it, but we've seen so many recaps of previous moments in the anime at this point that dedicating an entire few blocks of episodes to it is ridiculous. They sure as hell didn't recap stuff at this point in the manga.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

A little of both, but you have to realize this is a kids' show, and there is a whole generation of 10 year olds that have never seen the backstory.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
10 year old kids are watching Naruto Shippuden subs? I mean, I guess some of them probably are, but I can't imagine that's the reason they're doing the recaps.

Anyway I'm only on 250 right now and it rules pretty hard, I'm just setting myself up for gradual disappointment.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Aesop Poprock posted:

10 year old kids are watching Naruto Shippuden subs? I mean, I guess some of them probably are, but I can't imagine that's the reason they're doing the recaps.

Anyway I'm only on 250 right now and it rules pretty hard, I'm just setting myself up for gradual disappointment.

You do realize this is a Japanese childrens show? So no they don't watch the subs they just watch their cartoons therefore they do these recaps to get the newer kids caught up.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Japan doesn't believe in re-runs. It's much cheaper for them to make new episodes rather than run re-runs apparently. (Or they just really love wasting money.)

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tae posted:

Japan doesn't believe in re-runs. It's much cheaper for them to make new episodes rather than run re-runs apparently. (Or they just really love wasting money.)
And I've read somewhere (I have no idea if this is true or not) that if they lose a timeslot by going into reruns or going on hiatus for a time, that's pretty much it for a show, it's over.

Maybe that's why they stuff so much filler into these multiple-hundred episode shows: just to stay on the air.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 29, 2012

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

And I've read somewhere (I have no idea if this is true or not) that if they lose a timeslot by going into reruns or going on hiatus for a time, that's pretty much it for a show, it's over.

Maybe that's why they stuff so much filler into these multiple-hundred episode shows: just to stay on the air.

That's exactly why. Naruto (and the other superpopular shonen shows like One Piece and Fairy Tail and stuff) are all in The Best Time Slots which cost a pretty penny to keep, and are the best for a reason. If they stop producing new content, then they will lose their slot and then the show they lose the slot to will just keep it forever. It's cheaper in the long run to just produce poo poo and hang onto the slot than it is to bother with backroom wheeling and dealing to politic their way back into their sweet time slot, assuming that's even on the table depending on who took it from them.

It's becoming more and more prevalent for the source material of these shows to have worlds or plotlines that are specially constructed so that the animation studios can just make up bullshit that kindasorta fits nearish to where the plot aught to be if you squint real hard, thus allowing the show to keep the timeslot, get made forever and ever and never end, and ultimately make Shonen Jump and the mangaka a shitload of money in rights and merchandising.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Imagine how much better it would have been if they just did 24 episodes of Naruto and then 24 episodes of Bleach? Could have avoided filler for both.

Incompl
Mar 23, 2008

FINALLY they are beginning the war!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Really digging the set up they went with for this episode---nice to see it back and in top form in terms of pacing and all else.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
Not so fast.

Next episode: Flashbacks to the search for Sasuke takes 1, 2, 3, 5, 8 and umpteen; 2nd bell test; Naruto & Sakura vs. Sasuke; Sasuke vs. Itachi; Sasuke deciding to kill everyone.

Episode after that: Recap of all the "sailing to turtle island" episodes. Naruto passes the special broom technique from the ghost ship episode on to Konohamaru.

Episode after that one: Recap of all scenes relating to the grudge between the Hyuuga main house and branch house. Ends on an optimistic note with everyone singing "Jitensha" A-capella.

Episode after that: The Oogakari invade and give Naruto god mode powers with which he proceeds to wipe out Akatsuki single-handedly. Just when things start looking up, Sakura wakes up in her bed on the first day of the Chuunin exam. Again.

Episode after that: We find out that under the mask under Kakashi's mask there's another mask.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Triple Elation posted:

Not so fast.

Next episode: Flashbacks to the search for Sasuke takes 1, 2, 3, 5, 8 and umpteen; 2nd bell test; Naruto & Sakura vs. Sasuke; Sasuke vs. Itachi; Sasuke deciding to kill everyone.

Episode after that: Recap of all the "sailing to turtle island" episodes. Naruto passes the special broom technique from the ghost ship episode on to Konohamaru.

Episode after that one: Recap of all scenes relating to the grudge between the Hyuuga main house and branch house. Ends on an optimistic note with everyone singing "Jitensha" A-capella.

Episode after that: The Oogakari invade and give Naruto god mode powers with which he proceeds to wipe out Akatsuki single-handedly. Just when things start looking up, Sakura wakes up in her bed on the first day of the Chuunin exam. Again.

Episode after that: We find out that under the mask under Kakashi's mask there's another mask.
The sad thing is that I actually had to check the names of the next episodes on wikipedia to confirm that you're joking. That's how bad this anime has gotten in terms of filler.
Even this last episode with the mobilization of the army felt stretched out. All we got were a few little conversations with the reanimated corpse characters and a cliche "let's all get along" speech by Gaara.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

and a cliche "I love Naruto" speech by Gaara.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Well they had to justify Gara's face tattoo...

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Pretty drat awesome speech by Gaara.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

262 the latest episode is great. Looking to be everything the recent animated One Piece war arc wasn't (competant filler, rather than padding for the sake of padding).

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
It's good to see this show getting fun to watch again

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

If you want to see Naruto repeat the Chuunin exam you should watch the latest movie. Bonus prison rape included.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Movie spoiler: The Chuunin thing was really cute, but I grow tired of that running gag. I just wanna see him get a jacket dammit.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

So... it's been months since the last post. Anyone besides me still watching week to week?

I feel like it's just meandering and boring now. There are still fights, but they're essentially meaningless, since the author seemed to just pull a "back-from-the-dead" card with a lot of the villains.

Nothing has hit the same heights of the Pain arc since then. They should have just ended the whole story right there, forget Madara ever existed, and tie up Sasuke right before the final fight and make Naruto the Hokage for saving the world from Pain. THE END.

Ugh, but no, this whole Ninja War thing started, shown sparsely from week to week intermittently with filler episodes. It's horrible. Even the preview for next week seems (?) to be yet another Sasuke-Naruto "remembering the good times" filler flashback episode.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I've mostly been keeping up with the english dub and the Rock Lee SD spinoff (find out which episodes have Orochimaru in them and watch those, not even kidding they are the best :swoon:). Worth noting that the dub is at episode 154, just when Naruto decides to go train at the Toad mountains. I dropped the anime during that random filler splash after the Pain arc so I can't say anything about this arc.

Hasn't Road to Ninja come out recently? Is that any good? All I've seen is Tumblr shipping rage :v:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Sadly I actually think next week's episode is mostly (if not all) canon.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm still watching week to week. :smith:

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
I'm still watching week to week also, and I think it's easier this way, because I only have to sit through a half hour of boring filler, instead of twenty episodes of boring filler in a row. :unsmigghh:

I think it's kind of like being the victim in an abusive relationship. You stay because you're sure that one day, everything will be just like the good old days. In reality it's just pushing you deeper and deeper into insanity, and one day you'll finally reach your breaking point, flip out, and stab it 68 times with a rusty carving knife.

But seriously, how loving thick-headed can the son of two WunderNinjas™ really be? If this is a nature vs. nurture argument, every single person in this village has failed.

Edit: Ok, when I typed this I hadn't yet watched episode 275, which was ok. And the last few that were actually advancing the plot were good. I just know that one of these days, something awesome is going to happen, and then it'll immediately switch to a filler arc where we follow Ten Ten Lee Genma Konohamaru in his quest to obtain the fabled Sexy Fingerpaint no Jutsu! (Which he'll use once at the end of this episode, wiping out 100,000 clumsy ramen thieves.) Then he'll decide this jutsu is too powerful to use against any other people, like oh, say the 100,000 strong white zetsu army, and promtly forget it.

One Legged Ninja fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 25, 2012

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.
Maybe a fan group will put together Naruto Shippuuden Kai.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Ok just watched 279, it was filler, and it was loving terrible. Also looks like next week is more filler.

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

Where is the anime right now? Specifically, has it gotten to [major spoiler, only for manga readers:]Naruto meeting his mom or fighting the fox yet?

vvv thanks!

Rekkit fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 27, 2012

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.

Rekkit posted:

Where is the anime right now? Specifically, has it gotten to [major spoiler, only for manga readers:]Naruto meeting his mom or fighting the fox yet?

Shippuden 281 came out this week. That arc happened in 245-249, so it's not a spoiler. That includes the fight between Minato/Madara.

^^^ Glad to help - these are some of my favorite episodes in the series.

Stoph fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 27, 2012

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
There are two types of scenes in this series that are the reasons I love it. One is the type of scene that tugs at my heart strings. Such as the Minato/Kushina episodes. The other are the :black101: scenes. Some day I hope someone takes all the episodes and compiles them into a collection of just these things and any relevant plot advancement. It would be the greatest hour-long show ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

For anyone interested, the war arc continues to chug along, and will start going into some more war arc filler featuring the Seven Swordsmen starting next week.

It appears they'll be doing episodes over some of the Edo Tensei ninja, the type of filler which is good, versus the poo poo padding One Piece got during its war arc.

• Locked thread