Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

So for some reason I have this compulsive urge to get a KTM 690 because they look amazing and are more inline with my riding style (I don't like roundabouts and speed bumps or California roads for that matter). What are the differences between the various models? Z3n tells me that the SMC would be best for all-around riding (it will be my daily rider and I'm gonna put about 200 miles a week on it or more).

Anybody have anything to chime in with? My original plan was to get a sport tourer but my dad said he'd buy me a trailer and pay for my gas to visit him if I promised I wouldn't take the bike on long highway trips and it's the only thing he has never felt comfortable with me doing (I mean, it's my bike and decision and all, but I love the guy and respect his wishes) so I figured, eh, why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The SMC is basically the E (or Hard Enduro) with stiffer forks, stiffer rear shock, 17" wheels and better brakes (seriously good brakes). This also means it's very flexible if you wanted to get a set of dirt wheels for the weekend, or just take it for some light off-road on your 17s.

The SM, SMR and Duke 690 are all more road-oriented, with comfier seats (unlike the SMC/E plank), less suspension travel and The SM develops a few less HP than the SMC/SMR/Duke but it's really not noticeable, and you can always just chuck in the hotter cam from any of those models.

Some people do long trips on SMCs, but unless mine is the exception (it isn't) the bike is not set up at all for distance; twitchy power delivery, iron beam seat, 12l tank (only about 100mi range if you're careful). At a constant speed in any gear less than 4th mine softly surges as the unpolished EFI tries to lean out the mix. It won't shake as many parts off as the old models thanks to a new balancer cam but it's still hard on a lot of external parts like indicators, plates and insurance/tax holders. The manual calls for an oil change every 3k miles, but if I leave mine much more than 2k my cam chain tensioner starts to lose pressure (also not an exception). Basically your dad will never have to worry about you going any distance on this thing.

Hmm, that sounded kind of negative, let me be clear, for all it's downsides the SMC is more fun than a bouncy castle full of oiled strippers. The service intervals are great for a bike of this performance and it's a breeze to work on, even with limited tools. They also hold value quite well and with KTM suspending imports to the US that is unlikely to change for the moment.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 5, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ReelBigLizard posted:

The SMC is basically the E (or Hard Enduro) with stiffer forks, stiffer rear shock, 17" wheels and better brakes (seriously good brakes). This also means it's very flexible if you wanted to get a set of dirt wheels for the weekend, or just take it for some light off-road on your 17s.

The SM, SMR and Duke 690 are all more road-oriented, with comfier seats (unlike the SMC/E plank), less suspension travel and The SM develops a few less HP than the SMC/SMR/Duke but it's really not noticeable, and you can always just chuck in the hotter cam from any of those models.

Some people do long trips on SMCs, but unless mine is the exception (it isn't) the bike is not set up at all for distance; twitchy power delivery, iron beam seat, 12l tank (only about 100mi range if you're careful). At a constant speed in any gear less than 4th mine softly surges as the unpolished EFI tries to lean out the mix. It won't shake as many parts off as the old models thanks to a new balancer cam but it's still hard on a lot of external parts like indicators, plates and insurance/tax holders. The manual calls for an oil change every 3k miles, but if I leave mine much more than 2k my cam chain tensioner starts to lose pressure (also not an exception). Basically your dad will never have to worry about you going any distance on this thing.

Hmm, that sounded kind of negative, let me be clear, for all it's downsides the SMC is more fun than a bouncy castle full of oiled strippers. The service intervals are great for a bike of this performance and it's a breeze to work on, even with limited tools. They also hold value quite well and with KTM suspending imports to the US that is unlikely to change for the moment.

Wow you're really selling it there.

:smugdog::smugdog::smugdog::smugdog::smugdog::smugdog::smugdog:DRZ Supremacy:smugdog::smugdog::smugdog::smugdog::smugdog::smugdog::smugdog:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Wow you're really selling it there.

:smugdog::smugdog::smugdog::smugdog::smugdog::smugdog::smugdog:DRZ Supremacy:smugdog::smugdog::smugdog::smugdog::smugdog::smugdog::smugdog:

Because a DRZ is a paragon of comfort that never shook off a license plate, am I right?

:iceburn:

I figured there's enough posts in this thread on how amazing the 690 is. That said the faults I list are a single drop of piss in a swimming pool of awesome.

Also the swimming pool has a wave machine, and slides.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Riding a DRZ for the first time is like a fleshlight.

Riding a 690 is the real thing baby.

DRZ's are great and all... yanno... if you're into that.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I want a bouncy castle filled with strippers. :saddowns:

Are the oil changes expensive? That's basically an oil change every ~3 months right?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

They can be, if you use the Motorex KTM blood full synthetic.

Again, worth it.

Mine gave me 10k absolutely trouble free miles. The only time it ever had an issue is when I didn't plug a terminal back in enough putting it back together and it threw a code about 10 miles down the road. Easy.

It lived its life on supermoto tracks and road courses, and was treated to a hard, hard life of banging off the limiter and riding out wheelies in the red.

They are amazing engines. Tough as nails, and so... SO much power. Easy to work on. Smooth transmission. Really lovely.

Like I've said before, if the 690 required that you give it a liter of your own blood every 1500 miles to keep it running, you'd do it with a smile on your face. It's that good.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Xovaan posted:

... KTM 690 ...

Anybody have anything to chime in with? My original plan was to get a sport tourer but my dad said he'd buy me a trailer and pay for my gas to visit him if I promised I wouldn't take the bike on long highway trips and it's the only thing he has never felt comfortable with me doing (I mean, it's my bike and decision and all, but I love the guy and respect his wishes) so I figured, eh, why not.

What's the going price for a good 690? I'm gonna be that guy in the SM thread talking about non-SMs, but it's a close cousin - you should consider a Buell Ulysses. It's a fantastic do-all sort of machine. It handles Seattle/King County pot holes with gusto. You can wheelie it, stoppie it, back it in, tour on it, and rip up switchbacks. Weighs about as much as a supersport. Maintenance routines are pretty relaxed too - it's pretty much ride it, fuel it up, ride it more, fuel it up again, and occasionally do a 3-quart oil change. Cost of entry is about $5000.

It handles the highway comfortably though - that may be a deal-breaker.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/2918638373.html

Here's one for sale right now. I was eyeing them but I was wondering about the reliability of Buell in general (and I don't know anything about belt drives)

They seem kind of big in general for the kind of riding I figure I'll be doing (tons of lanesplitting around town and whatnot) but I'm not completely knocking them or ruling them out. :)

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
One does not cross shop a 690SMC with a Uly :colbert:

(nothing wrong with the Uly, it's a great bike for what it is. Just considerably different style of bike than a 690)

If you have the chance to ride a 690SMC sometime don't do it. You won't be able to resist buying one.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
After I swap my Ninja for a WR250x I'm saving for either a 690SMC or a full blown converted MX-er. Then I'll have three sumos from one end of the spectrum to the other (and probably get shot dead by the cops instead of just arrested).

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I don't mind 2k oil changes and I can do the valve adjustments myself. Unless it's something stupidly catastrophic, I can do pretty much everything without the aid of a dealer. I do like the maintenance on the Uly from what I've read so far (which is to say: none, essentially), but the idea of a super slim 300lb wheelie machine is almost too good to pass up. Not that I'm a very dashing and daring rider, but the primary reason for a motorcycle for me is fun, followed by being a daily rider around my college town and sometimes trips up to Berkeley from Santa Cruz (about two hours each way). I currently put at least 200 miles a week on my SV650 and will likely be putting on more with the KTM (or even the Uly or even possibly a Tuono) if I were to get it.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I think the SM model visually looks way nicer than the SMC even though it is an inferior bike. :(

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Xovaan posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/2918638373.html

Here's one for sale right now. I was eyeing them but I was wondering about the reliability of Buell in general (and I don't know anything about belt drives)

They seem kind of big in general for the kind of riding I figure I'll be doing (tons of lanesplitting around town and whatnot) but I'm not completely knocking them or ruling them out. :)

They have a few niggles.

'06s can have dicey fuel pump wiring, but it's easy to get at to fix.

Wheel bearings are something to check every time the wheels are off, but they're inexpensive and easy to replace. '10 rear wheels have three bearings, as opposed to earlier models' two, and that's a popular upgrade.

Belts don't have a set replacement or maintenance interval. Some folks see a broken belt every 15k. Some never see one. Probably has to do with riding habits. You can replace a belt at roadside with basic toolkit tools.

'07s are probably the worst year. In '08 they got some meaningful internal upgrades, and in '06 they had better QC. Bad cranks at about 30k are a thing on '07s.

No valve adjustment interval. One throttle body; no syncing. Caveman engine tech makes incidental engine repair straightforward - you can do a DIY top-end gasket and seal job in a weekend - no cam chain retardedness.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

Riding a DRZ for the first time is like a fleshlight.

Riding a 690 is the real thing baby.

DRZ's are great and all... yanno... if you're into that.

I am into vastly more refined, yet slower vaginas.

:iiaca:

We're in Ducati thread territory here, gentlemen.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

quote:

Some people do long trips on SMCs, but unless mine is the exception (it isn't) the bike is not set up at all for distance; twitchy power delivery, iron beam seat, 12l tank (only about 100mi range if you're careful).

What the heck are you doing to get feul economy that bad. I was getting 3.6L/100km earlier today in my SM

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Aargh posted:

What the heck are you doing to get feul economy that bad. I was getting 3.6L/100km earlier today in my SM

Well I should be clear, KTM states 12l, the physical volume of the tank is probably more like 11.5, the fuel pump is inside the tank and takes up more room and then on the SMC if you actually fill it all the way up and loft the front wheel so much as an inch you will get fuel out of the tank breather. So it's more like 9l.

On top of that I ride it start-stop on short, small, twisty roads constantly, we don't have highways, or even more than two straight roads on the whole island.

(If you're thinking that sounds great, you're sort of right, except we have 45,000 registered motor vehicles in 25 square miles, for 65,000 permanent residents)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Where do you live again?

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001
This is the new greatest thing.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/411884/april-05-2012/dirt-bike-badass-in-the-lincoln-tunnel

:patriot:

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

Well I should be clear, KTM states 12l, the physical volume of the tank is probably more like 11.5, the fuel pump is inside the tank and takes up more room and then on the SMC if you actually fill it all the way up and loft the front wheel so much as an inch you will get fuel out of the tank breather. So it's more like 9l.

On top of that I ride it start-stop on short, small, twisty roads constantly, we don't have highways, or even more than two straight roads on the whole island.

(If you're thinking that sounds great, you're sort of right, except we have 45,000 registered motor vehicles in 25 square miles, for 65,000 permanent residents)

Ok that makes more sense, I think the SM has a 13.5 litre tank, I'll usually get 180 km to the fuel warning light (10?) in the city and up to about 300 if i'm travelling long distance. Yesterday was a lot of 60-80-120kph on a freeway for a couple of hundred k's so the engine in sixth really isn't doing too much.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

That is so awesome.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That man is a true hero.

All wheelieing and looking back and being all "sweet, right?"

Looks like a DR650 maybe?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ride along as this dude tank slaps the hell out of his DRZ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1x29AlW81s

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Ride along as this dude tank slaps the hell out of his DRZ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1x29AlW81s
Some tank slapper that gets wores and wores. I don't know how that happened.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
It looks like he purposely wiggled the bars left and right really hard and it ended up biting him in the rear end. The worst part of this is that he doesn't even have to pay for his mistakes since the DRZ is pretty well crash-proof during a low side like that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The converted S models can be a bit less stable and handle wores if you don't pay attention to the offset and fork heights. Then you do something stupid like that and you crash.

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill
After reading through this thread and browsing Thumpertalk and Supermotojunkie, I'm hooked on getting a supermoto for my first motorcycle.

I've basically narrowed it down to the WR250X or the DRZ400SM.

If you guys could recommend one of those two it would be great.

Some things to consider (in no particular order):

1. I'm short, 5'7" (67 inches), or 170cm for metric folks.
2. This bike would be mainly for street and commute to work (90% road/10%dirt).
3. I've never ridden a motorcycle before, this would be my first bike.
4. Low maintenance is key, I work long hours (occasional weekends off).
5. I don't know if this will play a part, but I have to cross a bridge to work and there's sometimes high winds. The car I drive is 2900 lbs curb weight and that shakes sometimes, if that gives any idea to how strong the winds are.
6. I probably won't get into stunting for a while, if at all.
7. Rideability for a first time rider is my biggest concern.
8. I would like a bike that will last (I would rather not purchase another bike down the line or at least for the next few years).
9. I would like the most bang for the buck.

With those factors considered, out of the two, what would be the better pick? If any of those factors conflict with each other, please let me know. I'm still new to this. Thanks!

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Ideal Paradigm posted:

After reading through this thread and browsing Thumpertalk and Supermotojunkie, I'm hooked on getting a supermoto for my first motorcycle.

I've basically narrowed it down to the WR250X or the DRZ400SM.

If you guys could recommend one of those two it would be great.

Some things to consider (in no particular order):

1. I'm short, 5'7" (67 inches), or 170cm for metric folks.
2. This bike would be mainly for street and commute to work (90% road/10%dirt).
3. I've never ridden a motorcycle before, this would be my first bike.
4. Low maintenance is key, I work long hours (occasional weekends off).
5. I don't know if this will play a part, but I have to cross a bridge to work and there's sometimes high winds. The car I drive is 2900 lbs curb weight and that shakes sometimes, if that gives any idea to how strong the winds are.
6. I probably won't get into stunting for a while, if at all.
7. Rideability for a first time rider is my biggest concern.
8. I would like a bike that will last (I would rather not purchase another bike down the line or at least for the next few years).
9. I would like the most bang for the buck.

With those factors considered, out of the two, what would be the better pick? If any of those factors conflict with each other, please let me know. I'm still new to this. Thanks!

DRZ. also "I would rather not purchase another bike down the line or at least for the next few years" is going to seem so ridiculous to you in like 3 months.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

For a first bike either one would be fine, but the DRZ is going to be a lot easier to find for a good price. I'm looking for a WR and they tend to be overpriced on CL (when there are any).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It's a tossup until you hit 8 and 9. Both of those lean DRZ, so get that.

Also comfortably handling wind is all about riding technique. Stay light on the bars, relax, and gently correct into the wind and you'll be fine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I know this isnt surprising coming from me, but I say DRZ. I do really like the WR's, they're great bikes, but they are overpriced at the moment, whereas the DRZ's are holding their value, but mostly priced OK

The DRZ is basically bombproof, and has a huuuuuuge aftermarket, so you can turn it into whatever you want.

goku chewbacca posted:

Some tank slapper that gets wores and wores.

Its funny because when you listen to the video, he appears to speak English decently enough, but written English is apparently a foreign concept to him.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 7, 2012

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill
For the DRZ, is there a version that's fuel injection? I've searched around and there seems to be conflicting information.

Also, how does fuel injection vs. carburetor affect supermoto riding? If it does at all? Does it only affect mileage? On the current websites for Suzuki and Yamaha, the DRZ claims 65 MPG and the WR250X claims 71 MPG, which is really quite close, despite the engine size differences.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

The WR is good for 4 reasons.

1. It has a 6-speed transmission for slow trails work as well as highway riding.
2. It has a large (350W) stator.
3. It does not need to be jetted for altitude (FI).
4. It has very long claimed valve adjustment intervals (25K).

That's it. It is an excellent bike for a very specialized use, and a good bike overall. The DRZ will give you better bang for your buck.

MPG is going to be in the 40s for either bike if you gear them right and romp on the throttle.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ideal Paradigm posted:

For the DRZ, is there a version that's fuel injection? I've searched around and there seems to be conflicting information.

Also, how does fuel injection vs. carburetor affect supermoto riding? If it does at all? Does it only affect mileage? On the current websites for Suzuki and Yamaha, the DRZ claims 65 MPG and the WR250X claims 71 MPG, which is really quite close, despite the engine size differences.
DRZ is carb only. WR is FI only. It doesn't affect riding other than altitude adjustments, which may be a factor depending on where you live. Fuel economy is negligible. To put that difference into real terms, that means every 100 miles, you'll need to purchase an extra 0.13 gallons of gas. (Assuming you can actually get those numbers and LOL.)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The stock DRZ carb will be decently self-adjusting with regards to altitude unless your daily commute involves going from the top of a mountain to the bottom and back.

Even with the FCR, you wont need to readjust under most circumstances, even if you do, an R&D Flex Jet or extended fuel screw should solve it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Don't be too worried about adjusting the carbs for altitude. My SV (carbed) and the DRZ (FCR) when I had it regularly see 4000 foot altitude changes with no noticeable power loss.

I agree with everyone else, bang for your buck goes to the DRZ by far. I've been trying to find a WR and they are expensive as well as harder to find.

On a side note took the CRF out yesterday for a quick spin to make sure it's ready for the track day. 15 mile look and I managed to jump, wheelie, stoppie, 2 wheel slide, nearly crash and get a thumbs up from a cop.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The WR's are a great bike released at the wrong time. Suzuki put the DRZ SM out in 05, right at the peak of supermoto frenzy in the US and around the world, and consequently sold a ton. The WR's came out in 08(?) when that frenzy had died down some and they didnt sell as many. That and the "lol 250" factor, despite it not being that big of a deal on the WR.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I love the poo poo out of my WR. I sold a 125hp supersport to ride around at 85mph tops. It's light, fun, the 6 speed is amazing (although I'm -1 in front, yet it's still amazing) as well as the FI. The only downside of the FI is if you wanted to try to squeeze a little more power out of it you'd have to get a power commander or FMF thingy instead of tuning carbs and doing needles or something.

I dunno, I start it in the morning, by the time my helmet and gloves are on it's ready to romp on. A buddy has a DRZ and here in oh so chilly SoCal, I don't think it really matters wether it's FI or carb'd, but the 6spd was the major selling point for me.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

The only downside of the FI is if you wanted to try to squeeze a little more power out of it you'd have to get a power commander or FMF thingy instead of tuning carbs and doing needles or something.

Depends on what you consider a downside. I've been putting off rejetting the Husky forever because it seems like it usually takes three tries to get it right and I don't feel like messing around with tiny parts. I'd rather spend the $300 and just plug something in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm definitely a WR fan, its just too bad they didnt sell more, and that Yamaha pulled them.

• Locked thread