Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Makaris posted:

Oh My loving God

I was reading this thread trying to remember an old DOS game I used to play with some early 90's stereotype in a red hat in sunglasses, roaming around a... school? there were lockers, that's all I remember... answering questions.

THE SUPER SOLVER.

And yeah those elves creeped me right the hell out.

Edit: Man, 1989? So drat long ago!

I. loving. Loved. Those. Games.

Also: Challenge of the Ancient Empires, the hardest of them all. gently caress trying to beat that one on hard.

Side note, going all the way back to this:

I was blown away when I saw my Grade 5 practicum class playing it 2 months ago. No graphics upgrades or anything, the exact same loving version as 20 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.

Light Gun Man posted:

I hated these things, even as a kid. Why not just make not-retarded proportion figures and give them removable helmets? It's not like the button turns them plainclothes or something. So much toy-rage.

PS who was the genius that made it so there was NEVER a proper Green or White ranger power coin?

I thought much more childly about them.

Billy... Blue ranger.... *flips head back around*... Billy... Blue ranger...

"hmm I wonder if I can throw him over my house"

That was the last i saw of the blue power ranger.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I was blown away when I saw my Grade 5 practicum class playing it 2 months ago. No graphics upgrades or anything, the exact same loving version as 20 years ago.

I played it fairly recently too. It's a solid game! I still like SimAnt, too.

But SimTunes is the best.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ensign_Ricky posted:

A few years back, I got a few of my students in Japan hooked on "Word Munchers" running in DOSbox. It actually makes me realize that they haven't had a good, big-name educational title in about 20 years (in the same sense of Carmen Sandiego being a household name even though most people haven't played a CS game since its Apple II beginnings); seems after a slight resurgence in the early CD-ROM days they kind of petered out.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I played this game all the time when I was a kid.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Alhazred posted:

I played this game all the time when I was a kid.
Oh poo poo, Hard Drivin'/Race Drivin'! That game was awesome.
The arcade version with the cockpit and wheel was amazing. At the time, I remember thinking that it was the pinnacle of video game realism that would never be topped.

Alas, the Genesis version wasn't nearly as fun.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

betterinsodapop posted:

Oh poo poo, Hard Drivin'/Race Drivin'! That game was awesome.
The arcade version with the cockpit and wheel was amazing. At the time, I remember thinking that it was the pinnacle of video game realism that would never be topped.

Alas, the Genesis version wasn't nearly as fun.
That's actually Stunts/4D Sports Driving. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stunts_(video_game)

Played this quite a lot on a friend's 286 (with utterly awful frame rates) back in the day. The track editor was awesome.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Light Gun Man posted:

I hated these things, even as a kid. Why not just make not-retarded proportion figures and give them removable helmets? It's not like the button turns them plainclothes or something. So much toy-rage.

You must have loved the hell out of the Transformers Animorphs line.

E: Who were only outdone in terms of action figure spinoff lines created by people who had to have been on drugs by the truly bizarre "Jurassic Park" Chaos Effect.

vv We're all angry about Power Rangers toys.

Rahonavis has a new favorite as of 23:25 on Apr 6, 2012

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Rahonavis posted:

You must have loved the hell out of the Transformers Animorphs line.

Never was into those, but I suppose I was into Transformers, where they would go from robot to car and back or whatever. Perhaps that a contributing factor.

The best Power Ranger toys were the big 8 inch figures, I don't know why they ever stopped making those. Do you want a tiny rear end Gi Joe or this HUGE GODDAMN POWER RANGER HOLY poo poo! Plus the 8 inch rangers, the robot, and the monsters were all close to scale, so your monsters worked for both VS Ranger fighting and VS. Robot fighting. Why would they ever deviate from this? I'm mad about Ranger toys.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Rahonavis posted:

E: Who were only outdone in terms of action figure spinoff lines created by people who had to have been on drugs by the truly bizarre "Jurassic Park" Chaos Effect.

I love this. "We've run out of marketable dinosaurs! I know! We'll make some weird combos and then paint them neon colors! GENIUS!"

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Speaking of Power Rangers toys and getting angry about them, I have to admit I was just a tiny bit disappointed when, for my eighth birthday, I got this:

instead of this:

It was cool and all and I didn't really get mad because hey, it was the Megazord, but you couldn't take it apart into the individual dinozords or combine it with other zords (which I didn't have either but whatever) or anything like that. :saddowns:

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Speaking of Power Rangers toys and getting angry about them, I have to admit I was just a tiny bit disappointed when, for my eighth birthday, I got this:

instead of this:

It was cool and all and I didn't really get mad because hey, it was the Megazord, but you couldn't take it apart into the individual dinozords or combine it with other zords (which I didn't have either but whatever) or anything like that. :saddowns:

This is pretty much exactly what it was like for me. I was always insanely jealous of the kids who had the whole Deluxe Megazord.

As for content:

I read every single one of these books as a kid, multiple times. Every time I bring it up to people around my age, I get one of two reactions: "Huh?" or "gently caress YEAH BUNNICULA!"

I still have some of the books on a shelf at home. I should really dig through them and read them again, the last time I reread them was in high school, and they were still good.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I. loving. Loved. Those. Games.

Also: Challenge of the Ancient Empires, the hardest of them all. gently caress trying to beat that one on hard.

Well here goes my afternoon-

only seems to work with intel macs, but holy hell- http://www.virtualapple.org/numbermunchersdisk.html

E: wow I suck at this, my 7 year old self would be so disappointed.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Speaking of weird 90's poo poo, can everyone please turn your eyes to this Burger King video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2raNFYvDB0

Was this only in certain locations? I can't imagine Burger King having full blown dinners with people waiting on you. And popcorn! But I have the oddest, faintest memory of it so maybe at least the commercials were shown places?

e: I do remember the Wendy's Super Bar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4iQq4oTcmI

I loved this thing when I was little. I got to pick out whatever food I wanted to eat, and then I got chocolate pudding for dessert! :3:

Wandering Knitter has a new favorite as of 01:17 on Apr 7, 2012

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Daeren posted:

This is pretty much exactly what it was like for me. I was always insanely jealous of the kids who had the whole Deluxe Megazord.
To be fair, when I asked my parents for the Megazord I had no idea the cheaper version even existed, and they had no way of knowing that it was the more expensive one I wanted. From what I remember, that thing cost an arm and a leg (especially in mid-90s Finland) so I'm not sure if I would have gotten it anyway.

More toys from my childhood, here's the Biker Mice from Mars! Those bikes were the poo poo:

The Biker Mice from Mars cartoon was pretty much utter garbage in retrospect, but the Finnish dub has become something of a cult classic among 20-something nerds due to the fact it had a whole bunch of sexual references and swearing for some reason. I haven't seen the original English-language version of the show, but I assume it was a lot cleaner. I also believe the Finnish dub became the way it was because whoever was translating it went "Oh gently caress this, another one of these lovely Ninja Turtles ripoffs, I need to do something interesting with this or I'm gonna drink myself to death," wrote the most ridiculous translation he possibly could, and nobody cared enough to do anything about it once the show aired. (I have absolutely nothing to base this on, it's just what I probably would have done in the same situation)

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
This was my favorite cartoon of the 90's. I think I had a toy of the Cadillac?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9c2K4Jl5LI

also, THIS poo poo

The Thunderbirds Island playset! I had all the toys, the ridiculously large (in comparison) figures, even the silly pink car. I remember that it had a button that would play a sound effect for each of the different ships launching, and another button that would say "Thunderbirds are go!"

treiz01 has a new favorite as of 02:45 on Apr 7, 2012

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Daeren posted:

I read every single one of these books as a kid, multiple times. Every time I bring it up to people around my age, I get one of two reactions: "Huh?" or "gently caress YEAH BUNNICULA!"

I still have some of the books on a shelf at home. I should really dig through them and read them again, the last time I reread them was in high school, and they were still good.

One of the guys in the department came to the Halloween party as Bunnicula. Only two of us got it, but I was one of them :smug:.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
For some reason, this song was everywhere in the early 90s even though it was released in '88 (I think). Behold, She Drives Me Crazy by Fine Young Cannibals!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSCJJkFgt_w

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
this is what 1990 was like.PNG

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

ServoMST3K posted:

For some reason, this song was everywhere in the early 90s even though it was released in '88 (I think). Behold, She Drives Me Crazy by Fine Young Cannibals!

Ever since I was 6 or 7 and first heard it, I can't help but think the first couple of lyrics are "I can't stop wettin' the bed."

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Popcorn posted:

this is what 1990 was like.PNG

The truest post :c00l: And the Neon '90s are coming back with a vengeance. A horrible, exacting vengeance.

In that Cadillacs and Dinosaurs video, does that guy shift his car's automatic transmission and then immediately shift a manual? Am I seeing that right?

72o
Dec 14, 2007

ServoMST3K posted:

I hated the singer's face so much (still do, apparently!). I had to turn off the TV whenever their music video came on.

Dr Mantis Toboggan
Feb 22, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Why don't toys smell the same as they did in the 90s? I was hanging with my nephew when I noticed this, they are missing that strangely chemical odour.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
If nothing else the lyrics firmly plant this in the 1990s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJS3xnD7Mus

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Sizone posted:

Pauly Shore is doing two standup shows at a bar just down the road from me next month sometime. Tickets are $25.00 though - otherwise I'd probably go.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

instead of this:

I was about 13 when this show came on and I love how much of a hypocrite I was.

"This is BULLSHIT! The giant robot is just a loving Voltron ripoff!....well since it's ON, I might as well watch it..."

Buh
May 17, 2008

Dr Mantis Toboggan posted:

Why don't toys smell the same as they did in the 90s? I was hanging with my nephew when I noticed this, they are missing that strangely chemical odour.

I've got a 25 year old toy that has inexplicably maintained that new plastic smell. It's ridiculously how powerful the scent is in activating nostalgia. Like an oralfactory time capsule.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Wandering Knitter posted:

I love this. "We've run out of marketable dinosaurs! I know! We'll make some weird combos and then paint them neon colors! GENIUS!"

I remember reading that these were planned to tie-in with a Jurassic Park TV Show that never got made. After the show was scrapped, they just released them anyway.

The TV show would probably have been insanely awful.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

OldMemes posted:

I remember reading that these were planned to tie-in with a Jurassic Park TV Show that never got made. After the show was scrapped, they just released them anyway.

Or absolutely amazing, depending if you were between the age of 7-10 when it came out.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

instead of this:

My parents were the best. I first got the top one, but a couple of months later they saw the second one in the shops and bought it for me because it was so much better.

A friend's dad was on business in Japan a lot and bough him the next generation's set (the one with the toad, I think). Because the series hadn't progressed to that point yet in our country we thought it was some cheap knockoff and didn't like it as much, and he got rid of it pretty quickly. I never understood why back then, but now I realise he was a spoiled brat that was hooked on Nintendos and Gameboys at a very young age, and simply couldn't enjoy simple toys as much as I could. He also never liked legos. loving weirdo.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Pseudonym posted:

In that Cadillacs and Dinosaurs video, does that guy shift his car's automatic transmission and then immediately shift a manual? Am I seeing that right?

It might appear that way from your 21st century perspective, but in the 26th century, :goonsay:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Like there'd even be manual transmissions by then :rice:

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

WescottF1 posted:

Pauly Shore is doing two standup shows at a bar just down the road from me next month sometime. Tickets are $25.00 though - otherwise I'd probably go.

I was just wondering the other night what modern kids who watch "A Goofy Movie" must think of the character voiced by and very much based on Pauly Shore?

OldMemes posted:

Heck with "Jurassic Park", we almost got an "Aliens" cartoon! (It doesn't look like it would have been very good.)

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

WescottF1 posted:

Pauly Shore is Dead was pretty damned funny. He just made fun of himself for 2 hours.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

WescottF1 posted:

I assume you mean that they pay you $25?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Palpatine MD posted:

I don't think we mentioned this staple of 90's videogaming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KA9S91A66k

Earthworm Jim!

I loved the hell out of EWJ and the only reason I don't wish for a new game is because Doug Tennapel, the creator of the series, is a truly terrible human being. :(

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Good luck trying to find something more 90s than this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QNah-lHpl0

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Speaking of weird 90's poo poo, can everyone please turn your eyes to this Burger King video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2raNFYvDB0

Was this only in certain locations? I can't imagine Burger King having full blown dinners with people waiting on you. And popcorn! But I have the oddest, faintest memory of it so maybe at least the commercials were shown places?

This seems to me like one of Burger King's typical menu item quirks that pop up from time to time, and never last long. Like the tacos they had in the early 2000s or ribs they had a few years ago. Although that seems to be really peculiar for a fast food restaurant...based on the ad it almost seems like they were trying to compete on some level with a chain diner like Dennys. And likewise, I can't seem to recall that on the menu either nor can I recall the commercial; it was probably test-marketed in a few cities and died a quiet death.

e: I do remember the Wendy's Super Bar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4iQq4oTcmI

I loved this thing when I was little. I got to pick out whatever food I wanted to eat, and then I got chocolate pudding for dessert! :3:

I remember this being the reason why I always wanted to eat in at Wendy's when I was in grade school. However, like most things remembered from one's childhood I should have let it stay a happy memory. Shortly after graduating highschool (2001) I traveled to Ft. Benning, Georgia with a friend's parents after he finished Army basic training and there was a Wendy's whose franchisee must have been a straggler and still had the Super Bar...I'm not sure if it was just that particular restaurant, but aside from the salad bar everything they served was awful, reminiscent of school cafeteria food.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 09:17 on Apr 8, 2012

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978
Holy crap I had completely forgotten about the super bar. Strange thing is I didn't become a fan of it until my junior year of highschool. Previous to that I hated Wendy's (for reasons I can't explain), so the super bar was long gone by the time I was a fan of the chain. I did have it a couple times though - there were a few times that my Dad simply got tired of my picky rear end and made me eat somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Vanderdeath posted:

I loved the hell out of EWJ and the only reason I don't wish for a new game is because Doug Tennapel, the creator of the series, is a truly terrible human being. :(

Elaborate. Wikipedia doesn't say anything about any nefarious deeds.

• Locked thread