Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

BubbleGoose posted:

Wow, this game is still popular after all these years. A true cult classic it is. drat, if only another Vampire game of this caliber would come out. :(

What I hate is that Troika is dead and gone so that even though this game is still being played and discussed and sells really well on Steam Sales, no one that made the original game gets rewarded or credited and Obsidian makes Dungeon Siege 3 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I guess at least the WoD MMO team apparently refer to Bloodlines a lot, if not for examples of stuff that worked well then for a common reference point, so maybe its legacy will live on with CCP's take on vampires in a few years time.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

the black husserl posted:

What I hate is that Troika is dead and gone so that even though this game is still being played and discussed and sells really well on Steam Sales, no one that made the original game gets rewarded or credited and Obsidian makes Dungeon Siege 3 :(
I may have missed something, but how does Dungeon Siege 3 relate to Troika's demise?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Lassitude posted:

I guess at least the WoD MMO team apparently refer to Bloodlines a lot, if not for examples of stuff that worked well then for a common reference point, so maybe its legacy will live on with CCP's take on vampires in a few years time.

If I sneak into a building in the WoD MMO and find Chunk guarding it, I'll be so happy.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

jvempire posted:

I may have missed something, but how does Dungeon Siege 3 relate to Troika's demise?

Probably because Obsidian and Troika are cut from the same cloth. I think he's trying to say that Obsidian making Dungeon Siege 3 is supposed to be sad commentary on the state of western RPG developers, but I mean, Obsidian chose that project it wasn't forced on them.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Probably because Obsidian and Troika are cut from the same cloth. I think he's trying to say that Obsidian making Dungeon Siege 3 is supposed to be sad commentary on the state of western RPG developers, but I mean, Obsidian chose that project it wasn't forced on them.

Plus they made it coming off of New Vegas, which is probably one of the best RPGs in memory. On top of that, Human Revolution is the closest game to Bloodlines in recent memory and it just came out last year from a brand new studio that was founded specifically to make games like that. The future's not dire at all.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Already finished it... but you know your really right on that score. Can you imagine them doing V:TMB on the same scale as Human Revolution?

I'd buy 8 copies

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Video games could be a good continuation of the setting, really. Action-RPGs are gaining in popularity thanks to the Fallout and Elder Scrolls settings, and people are always crying about wanting more 'mature' games with replayability and consequences - a proper VtM game with its heavy emphasis on hidden politics and every bastard ever having his own angle would fit the bill perfectly.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Loomer posted:

Video games could be a good continuation of the setting, really. Action-RPGs are gaining in popularity thanks to the Fallout and Elder Scrolls settings, and people are always crying about wanting more 'mature' games with replayability and consequences - a proper VtM game with its heavy emphasis on hidden politics and every bastard ever having his own angle would fit the bill perfectly.

Well, maybe the restructuring at CCP will prompt them to license out the IP that they're sitting on. Even if they don't want to license out VtM because of the WoD MMO, they've still got nWoD. I'd sell a kidney for a decent, Bloodlines-ish Geist game.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

DemonNick posted:

Plus they made it coming off of New Vegas, which is probably one of the best RPGs in memory. On top of that, Human Revolution is the closest game to Bloodlines in recent memory and it just came out last year from a brand new studio that was founded specifically to make games like that. The future's not dire at all.

Yeah, the future is actually looking surprisingly good for this genre. I hold out no hope for a Human Revolution treatment of V:tM because wishing is too painful. But at the very least Skyrim finally broke the Call of Duty yearly sales record stranglehold -- and while it's true that Skyrim isn't in the same ballpark as V:tM or Deus Ex as far as focus on narrative goes -- I still take it as a very good sign.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

jvempire posted:

Obsidian is supposedly the "new Troika" but dungeon siege 3 is no vampire bloodlines, if you know what I mean.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

the black husserl posted:

Obsidian is supposedly the "new Troika" but dungeon siege 3 is no vampire bloodlines, if you know what I mean.

Because it's not supposed to be. That's like saying WoW is no Diablo II because they're both RPGs from the same company.

Obsidian wanted to make a simple dungeon crawler, different from the stuff they usually make. It's not a sign of any decline in western RPGs or something.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Yeah, but they're probably getting a lot of money for it, which is good.

Personally, I'm looking forward to Dead State, which is being written by Bloodlines writer Brian Mitsoda. If he's up to the same standard he was in Bloodlines, should be good times.

Speaking of "up to the same standard" as Bloodlines, are there any other games besides the Half-Life series that give as much of a poo poo about the acting? Not just the voice acting, which was superb, but the way the characters move in conversations. I'll quote myself:

quote:

You know, the thing that always gets me about Bloodlines that sets it apart is the acting. When you talk to somebody in Deus Ex, Oblivion, Fallout, or whatever, they stand there and stare at you. The Bloodlines characters actually act. Prince LaCroix makes grandiose gestures with his hands and looks down his nose at you, Damsel bares her teeth and assumes an aggressive stance when she's angry, Velvet lowers her head and looks up through her eyelashes at you, Beckett smirks (except in one case, where he's visibly shaken), hell, Chunk sits and stands like a fat guy. This attention to body language makes the characters actually seem like animated characters and not just a clunky interface for a dialogue system.

Are there other games worth checking out where the creators gave enough of a poo poo? Human Revolution's characters usually seemed completely physically disinterested in the conversation.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Despite all it's other faults the mass effect series has pretty good acting. I'm sure there are other examples out there but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

Edit: oh LA Noire obviously.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 12, 2012

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I didn't see a note for this in the first few posts, but do any of the mods currently out do anything for the last...1/3rd of the game or so? Without spoiling any locations or anything, after a certain point the game devolves into constant fetch-questing and combat, and good GOD does it suck to watch a game fall that hard.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I think part of the the problem with Mass Effect is the attachment to the Paragon/Renegade system. It can make your Shep seem schizophrenic when they jump from extremely impassioned to extremely flat and back over the course of a single conversation.

Getting around that would either mean recording enough versions of the lines to make the mood consistent, or make the tough call to cut players' options if they chose the wrong tack when speaking with an NPC.

KayGee
Nov 23, 2011

Orks is da biggest and da strrrrongest.

Pope Guilty posted:

Brian Mitsoda.

I remember reading an interview on RPS with him where he says he tried to avoid making NPC's and quest givers pretty much 'vending machines' each of them has their own personality and quirks that don't make you realise they're just giving you stuff to do. They're people with personalities etc.
I've rambled with that so here's the interview
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/04/06/interview-without-a-vampire-bloodlines-b-mitsoda/

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

In case you missed the stickied thread, fans of VtM:B might be interested in Wasteland 2 which is currently in the process of being Kickstarter'ed. (Kickstarted? Whatever) The reason being that Jason Anderson (i.e. one of the founders of Troika and creative director on Bloodlines... but you already knew that, right?) is going to be writing the story for Wasteland 2. So I assume some people might be interested in chipping in somewhere between 15 and 10,000 bucks towards getting the game made (and pre-purchasing a copy, of course, Kickstarter's not a charity).

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

Are there other games worth checking out where the creators gave enough of a poo poo? Human Revolution's characters usually seemed completely physically disinterested in the conversation.

I dunno, I felt HR did and didn't. The regular conversations were lacking but I liked the persuasion conversations where they got up and walked around, stuff like Sariff picking up his baseball was really neat to me.

But yeah the regular conversations were pretty flat.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The Dark One posted:

I think part of the the problem with Mass Effect is the attachment to the Paragon/Renegade system. It can make your Shep seem schizophrenic when they jump from extremely impassioned to extremely flat and back over the course of a single conversation.

Getting around that would either mean recording enough versions of the lines to make the mood consistent, or make the tough call to cut players' options if they chose the wrong tack when speaking with an NPC.
I don't know, my Ann-Katrin Shepard has had a Paragon-Renegade ratio that gradually shifted from about 20-80 in ME1 to 40-60 in ME3 and she almost always felt like a real, consistent character to me. A woman with a dogged, almost obsessive determination to get the job done no matter what; who is willing to sacrifice nearly anything and anybody to get there; but who has also been shaped by her three games' worth of experiences and mistakes into gradually learning that, when your work involves brokering galactic alliances or managing a ragtag bunch of nutjobs, being a leader requires accepting and working around people's flaws and weaknesses that would never be tolerated on the battlefield - that winning a war is a very different affair indeed from winning a battle. The Mass Effect dialogue choices didn't offer me this particular character on a silver platter of clearly-defined paths, nor should they have tried.

Indeed, Paragon/Renegade each mean different and even contradictory things at different points: Paragon can mean "sticks by the rules even when inconvenient" or the totally opposed "breaks the rules for the sake of kindness"; Renegade choices can be "violent jerk with a short fuse" or they can be "callous bastard with a great poker face". You really, really need to think of the P/R metre as a reputation metre (do people openly admire you, or grudgingly respect and fear you?), not an inner morality or even attitude metre; a pity they only introduced the r-word in ME3, it would have avoided much confusion.

While on the surface this might come off as a criticism of the entire system, my experience has been that it actually works magnificently if you truly *know* who your Shepard is. Why? Because real characters have motivations that are far more complex than simply "respects the rules" or "flaunts the rules", and Paragon/Renegade would be a complete failure if they attempted to be that.

Pope Guilty posted:

Personally, I'm looking forward to Dead State, which is being written by Bloodlines writer Brian Mitsoda. If he's up to the same standard he was in Bloodlines, should be good times.

Ughhhh... I confess it, I have one of the worst possible traits for a fan of choice-heavy RPGs: I hate post-apocalyptic settings. Worse than hate, actually: I am bored by them. No matter how much I tried to get into Fallout (1, 3, and Vegas) I found myself distinctively not having fun and not giving a poo poo about the crapsack world surrounding me. So I find myself having very mixed emotions about the upcoming releases of both Dead State and Wasteland 2.

Hopefully there will be enough for me to like in Dishonored at least.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The Paragon-Renegade system had two distinct problems. I liked the idea of 2 concurrent bars, because in theory it should allow more wiggle room in your actions, but they screwed it up in 2 ways:
1.There are very very few cases where one has to deviate from their chosen alignment. In most cases paragon and renegade do the same thing. In the mission where you had to negotiate a hostage situation with the biotic fanatics in 1, paragon and renegade both settle the situation with the hostages not dying (And not doing either results in everyone dying, which is bad game design for an entirely different reason).
Only a few cases show up in the game where you might deviate, like the rachni queen.
2.The way the system checks if you pass/fail a persuasion check railroads you really loving badly. They don't tell you this but whether you pass a check or not more or less boils down to: How many times did you pick Renegade or Paragon when give the choice divided by the number of moral choices you were given over the course of the game. It's slightly more complicated than that, and you do have your Paragon/Renegade skill to give a little boost but that's just jist.
If you don't stick strictly to one option for most of the game you're going to find yourself unequipped to deal with some of the later game persuasion options. So like most of bioware's morality bars you are still being railroaded into picking one side, and punished for remaining neutral. It's a bad system.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I don't see (1) as a problem, more of a weaker implementation. Yes, we would love it if there had been a lot more actual, physical divergences (which is why most of us have a giant boner for Alpha Protocol but feel conflicted about Bioware); but even if they have the same result, giving me two different ways to approach the issue still helps me roleplay, and still has plenty of value. Hell, look at the thread we're in: I'd say that on c&c Bloodlines isn't that much better than Mass Effect, you can piss off or make friends with various factions but the core plot is overwhelmingly static.

Fully agree that (2) was the biggest fuckup of the system, however. They did finally fix that in ME3, but it was two games too late.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
So with the Cam mod, should Trip have an empty shop, because he has nothing to sell me, and it's making my firearms run pretty difficult.

Deadlink
Aug 18, 2003
Va Va Voom bought me this account, what a fine gentlemen he is

Teim posted:

So with the Cam mod, should Trip have an empty shop, because he has nothing to sell me, and it's making my firearms run pretty difficult.

you need to either have high enough persuasion to talk him into selling you guns or you need someone else to tell him to sell them to you, either the bail bonds guy, the ghoul or ... maybe mercurio too? I can't quite remember.

edit: actually, not even sure if persuasion is an option with the mod anymore

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Deadlink posted:

you need to either have high enough persuasion to talk him into selling you guns or you need someone else to tell him to sell them to you, either the bail bonds guy, the ghoul or ... maybe mercurio too? I can't quite remember.

edit: actually, not even sure if persuasion is an option with the mod anymore

Actually Mercurio said he'd call him about it, but I'd already failed to persuade Trip. Maybe I bugged it out? He also doesn't sell anything else either..

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Teim posted:

Actually Mercurio said he'd call him about it, but I'd already failed to persuade Trip. Maybe I bugged it out? He also doesn't sell anything else either..

He should still sell the hacking book. Sounds like you']re bugged. On the plus side, you're barely 20 minutes into the game. Restart!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Actually I just blew up the Sabbat warehouse, but yeah time to restart!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Teim posted:

Actually I just blew up the Sabbat warehouse, but yeah time to restart!

In that case, why not just head downtown and buy guns from the merchant there?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

In that case, why not just head downtown and buy guns from the merchant there?

Yeah, I don't think Trip even has that good a selection of weapons to begin with, unless one of the patches/mods changes this. You're not really missing out on any guns that you can't get from regular encounters with folks.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

So this showed up on Reddit:

quote:

A few years ago, during my second play through of one of my all time favorite games, "Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines", my character was talking to Velvet Veleur in her VIP room. At the end of the conversation, she leans in, and injects my character with a syringe, which turns him to Ash (final death).

I've told people about this on the vampire bloodlines forum, but no one seems to have experienced this. Can anyone give me information about this situation? Have you seen this? Why does she do it? Is it some rare easter egg that I stumbled upon?

The guy says this was long before he knew of mods, and there's one other poster that claims to remember the scene.

Has anyone here done this? I never heard of it before.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

The guy says this was long before he knew of mods, and there's one other poster that claims to remember the scene.

Huh. I've never heard of this before but it's certainly interesting. I shot Wesp a PM on the Vampire forums asking him about it since he probably knows the game better than anybody else.

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

Despite all it's other faults the mass effect series has pretty good acting. I'm sure there are other examples out there but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

Edit: oh LA Noire obviously.

Mass effect/Dragon Age have about the same 4-5 poses/gestures they have every character give. It's really quite weak and noticeable, at least it was for me. They try to hide it with different camera angles, but the same movements are there every time.

*emphatic point while keeping elbow bent*
*pacing while maintaining eye contact until the last moment before you go back to standing still.*

There are others but those I remember distinctly, especially when I was watching a ME3 play through and both happened in the first minute or so.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The Witcher has great animations... both of them, after the Director's Cut of 1.

I have no idea about the Velvet thing... never heard of it, either, sounds a bit off, since I can't think of a reason why she'd do it, or what could be in a syringe that would ash a vampire immediately, not that this game didn't take liberties. Curious as hell now, though... might just reinstall and play through again to try to get it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone have a copy of the lightning mod in the OP. The link to it leads to a private website.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Considering you saw this on reddit, it probably just a dude setting up a "creepy pasta" story ala glitched majoras mask. Or maybe VTMB really is the creator of 29:30.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I got a response from Wesp on the matter:

Wesp posted:

I have never heard of this before and checking the map there is no hint whatsoever that this could be true! It wouldn't make any sense from the game point of view either, wouldn't it?

So I guess that settles it.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

File that into the video game hoax thread then.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
Just reinstalled with the new clan quest 3.0 mod with all of its features turned on, and now all the enemies have several hundred hitpoints and even the lowlest enemies require well over six shotgun shots from point blank to take out, and I have about a 6 in Firearms, maybe more. Is that... intended? I know it's supposed to feel more like the PnP game, but regular human chumps absorbing several shotguns shots and myself dying in about 3 or 4 swings of a tire iron doesn't make a lot of sense.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Makaris posted:

Just reinstalled with the new clan quest 3.0 mod with all of its features turned on, and now all the enemies have several hundred hitpoints and even the lowlest enemies require well over six shotgun shots from point blank to take out, and I have about a 6 in Firearms, maybe more. Is that... intended? I know it's supposed to feel more like the PnP game, but regular human chumps absorbing several shotguns shots and myself dying in about 3 or 4 swings of a tire iron doesn't make a lot of sense.

The PnP mod, as well as one of the other ones, is partially there to basically make the game much more difficult. I believe if you activate both the PnP and one other specific mod, it brings the game into Nightmare Mode.

And you turned EVERYTHING on? The descriptions of the included mods on the Planet-Vampire page includes the stuff that you really shouldn't be mixing. I'm pretty sure you shouldn't mix Camarilla Edition with the PnP mod, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

KamiTsurugi posted:

The PnP mod, as well as one of the other ones, is partially there to basically make the game much more difficult. I believe if you activate both the PnP and one other specific mod, it brings the game into Nightmare Mode.

And you turned EVERYTHING on? The descriptions of the included mods on the Planet-Vampire page includes the stuff that you really shouldn't be mixing. I'm pretty sure you shouldn't mix Camarilla Edition with the PnP mod, for example.

Yeah, this. Way to read the OP or even just the readme of the mod. You're not supposed to turn everything on, and the specific issues you're having are from the "PnP" mod, which is misnamed because it's not really like PnP at all, it's just retarded-rear end hard.

• Locked thread