Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I was reading Tom's Formspring and, uh this came up

http://www.formspring.me/gunnerkrigg/q/312710414666302067

:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

A Bloody Crowbar posted:

"You saw three Ysengrins tonight: the way others see him, the way he sees himself, and the way he truly is. I want you to keep in mind the real Ysengrin!"

The best part about this is that we don't know for sure which is which. My theory was that the ether form is the way he truly is, the tree form is how others see him, and the scraggly dying wolf is how he sees himself.

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011

Heliotrope posted:

I was reading Tom's Formspring and, uh this came up

http://www.formspring.me/gunnerkrigg/q/312710414666302067

:catstare:

His particular style of dry humour always cracks me up.

Having said, wow that's a rude thing to ask a stranger.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Regy Rusty posted:

The best part about this is that we don't know for sure which is which. My theory was that the ether form is the way he truly is, the tree form is how others see him, and the scraggly dying wolf is how he sees himself.

That's funny, I thought it was obvious it was meant to be like that.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
You could make the argument that he sees himself as the tree wolf and those that knew him before see him as a twisted freak (seriously look at his introduction and the headmasters reaction to him) with the ether form being his true self, though it maybe revealed that an ethereal image is based on your subconscious self image which would mix things up

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
You can take the depressing view of others see the strong tree-wolf, he sees himself as his regal etheric form, but his real form is a weak, atrophied wolf.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Regy Rusty posted:

Rumda posted:

You could make the argument that he sees himself as the tree wolf and those that knew him before see him as a twisted freak (seriously look at his introduction and the headmasters reaction to him) with the ether form being his true self, though it maybe revealed that an ethereal image is based on your subconscious self image which would mix things up

Elysiume posted:

You can take the depressing view of others see the strong tree-wolf, he sees himself as his regal etheric form, but his real form is a weak, atrophied wolf.

Hence why no one except Tom knows which is which. :v:

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
It's fun to speculate the meaning, though. The only thing you can't really argue for is the ether-form being the way that others see him, since the only one that comes to mind is pretty weak (i.e. others see him as a regal beauty).

My first reading was that the atrophied wolf was how he sees himself, the tree-form was the way others see him, and the etheric being was his true form. When I read over it again, I'd reversed the first and the last. It's interesting, if nothing else.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm pretty sure that if nothing else, the tree form is the way others see him. After all, it is the way we see him in normal circumstances.

The trick is figuring out which of the other two is which.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That seems square on the money to me, personally.

You know, flicking through the avatar megapost really makes me want to reread the comic. The City Face stuff, for example, seems pretty vibrant, when I kinda glanced over it and skipped ahead on my first reading, mostly because I wanted to get back to the stuff in the Court :shobon:

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?
This place seems like good stomping grounds so I figured I'd hop on over. I voted for GKC in that comicmix poll against Homestuck, THEN read it and I'm hoping that it trounces Goblins, which I read today in its entirety. It wasn't pretty.

The things I'll do so internet strangers can't call me ignorant...

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Allan Assiduity posted:

That seems square on the money to me, personally.

You know, flicking through the avatar megapost really makes me want to reread the comic. The City Face stuff, for example, seems pretty vibrant, when I kinda glanced over it and skipped ahead on my first reading, mostly because I wanted to get back to the stuff in the Court :shobon:

City Face is wonderful. Don't Skip Cityface is like the Gunnerkrigg equivalent of Homestuck's Don't Skip the Intermission.

Even if you don't reread the whole thing, I highly recommend you go back to all of the Cityface segments and reread them.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

QueerPope posted:

City Face is wonderful. Don't Skip Cityface is like the Gunnerkrigg equivalent of Homestuck's Don't Skip the Intermission.

Even if you don't reread the whole thing, I highly recommend you go back to all of the Cityface segments and reread them.

City Face takes place in the future of Gunnerkrigg Court.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
So someone made fanmusic.

It's pretty cool.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

tinaun posted:

It's pretty cool.

Ehh, it sounds way too much like end-boss music for a comic without even a real antagonist yet.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.

A Bloody Crowbar posted:

I just blasted through this over the course of this morning/afternoon because of the lull Homestuck is currently in.

Oh man.

The art is beautiful, the plot is hauntingly intriguing, the pace is never slow or uninteresting and everything is just so fantastic. :allears:
I almost choked up during a few parts - the artwork resonated with me so much. I was absolutely in awe at chapter 26.
"You saw three Ysengrins tonight: the way others see him, the way he sees himself, and the way he truly is. I want you to keep in mind the real Ysengrin!"
The panels and the dialogue worked together brilliantly for that entire sequence.

My only regret is now I have to wait for updates. :(

I decided to read a chunk of the comic today in lieu of studying for my exam monday and re-remembered my favourite exchange.

"[The Court] is man's endeavour to become god! How is that for an enigmatic answer?"
"Very enigmatic, it barely answers anything at all."

Now that I think of it, that could be a basis for a good custom title if I had an image to go with it...

Dammit, this comic is addictive. I wish it were a novel so I could see a complete story and devour it all at once instead of piecemeal.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Solis posted:

I decided to read a chunk of the comic today in lieu of studying for my exam monday and re-remembered my favourite exchange.

"[The Court] is man's endeavour to become god! How is that for an enigmatic answer?"
"Very enigmatic, it barely answers anything at all."

Now that I think of it, that could be a basis for a good custom title if I had an image to go with it...

Dammit, this comic is addictive. I wish it were a novel so I could see a complete story and devour it all at once instead of piecemeal.

Huh, so that's where this avatar's text comes from. Gotta thank the avatar fairy for that.

I'd totally wait until a giant chunk of chapters was done so I could read it all at once, but I can't wait that long. :(

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
City Face is the best character (after Robox, of course. That guy rules).

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I think all the robots are great.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Just read through all of this. Tried to give GC a shot a little while ago and couldn't really make it past the third chapter.

I can see why Neil Gaiman was (apparently?) into this, it is completely in the same spirit and put me in the same mood as when I read through the Bone comics as a child. What a loving gem of a webcomic. The pacing, the characterization, the incredible evolution of the art, it's just a wonderful entity, and I'm just completely charmed by the modesty and dedication of the author.

I'm totally hooked man.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

QueerPope posted:

The difference is City Face is far more important than the Felt Intermission. Everyone must read it, the rest of the comic will be ruined if you don't.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Fucknag posted:

The difference is City Face is far more important than the Felt Intermission. Everyone must read it, the rest of the comic will be ruined if you don't.

I remember skipping City Face my first time through the archives, as I tend to binge through web comics on the first go, but then I went back for a more careful re-read (as gc is something you really should take your time reading, I'm still amazed when you guys point some tiny detail that completely escaped me), I loved the little guy.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ironic Twist posted:

Ehh, it sounds way too much like end-boss music for a comic without even a real antagonist yet.

I like it, but I agree it'd have to be something less energetic. I think it's the brass towards the end that makes it a bit unfitting.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Tollymain posted:

I like it, but I agree it'd have to be something less energetic. I think it's the brass towards the end that makes it a bit unfitting.

I thought the beginning sounded pretty good for some sort of "Gunnerkrigg Court - Inner Corridors" type of music.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, like I said the latter portion was where it kind of got a bit odd.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So very tempting.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

SirSamVimes posted:

So very tempting.

The Avatar Fairy has struck again. :tinfoil:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

So very tempting.

They're all tempting. I'm still hoping nobody grabs Sky Watcher before I inevitably give in. That little dude. :3:

Still can't quite bring myself to blow money on a picture on the internet, though, yet. Avatar Fairy amazes me.

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?
I'm tempted to get a cute little Boxbot. I've been a member of the Homestuck avatar club for entirely too long.

Maybe Nettle Soup's?

Or maybe Robox just going "Yes" if there's a way to make that not look awkward with the panel structure.

FutureSushi fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 8, 2012

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
How's this?

E: Or with border:

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 8, 2012

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

So... so did Goblins win the comics thing? I sure hope not.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
e: whoops

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 8, 2012

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

FutureSushi posted:

I'm tempted to get a cute little Boxbot. I've been a member of the Homestuck avatar club for entirely too long.

Yes you should get this.

(I mean, uh, no it would be bad and terrible. Like boxbot.)

Beekeeping and You posted:

Poll ends on Monday I believe, so it's still going on. I'm really hoping Goblins loses just to laugh at Thunt and his lovely fans throwing more temper tantrums.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Beekeeping and You posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court (51%, 12,078 Votes)
Goblins (49%, 11,558 Votes)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Shugojin posted:

The Avatar Fairy has struck again. :tinfoil:

:aaa: I wasn't sure if I wanted it, but seeing it under my name makes me happy so thanks Avatar Fairy.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 8, 2012

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
It is an amazing avatar that makes you the envy of all you meet.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Whoever the avatar fairy is, I am absolutely in love with mine. :allears:

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

tinaun posted:

It's pretty cool.

That's pretty good, but for a more cinematic style this one from a few years ago is still my favorite.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

Upon reading the City Face segments, I can only hope for more City Face segments in future, for City Face segments are amazing :allears: Might need to put some money aside for a new avatar in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh man, Avatar Fairy, you're the drat best. I have the best robot as my Avatar now.

In repayment, I guess I'll go evangelise Gunnerkrigg some more.