Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

chairface posted:

Emperor: Battle For Dune is newer than Starcraft but still not WC3 graphics-wise, and has some pretty big possible armies. The story and FMV cutscene acting are pretty :psyduck: but it's Dune and an RTS so that ship had already sailed anyway.

Jesus christ, it's 115 dollars new. I can get it and Dune 200 for only 220 bucks!

30 used, but wow, I guess it is a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Leper Residue posted:

I'd like an RTS that's more in the style of Warcraft 2 with large armies clashing at each other and less like Warcraft 3 with small squads with heroes playing a very prominent role. Preferably somewhat modern and not Starcraft. Multiplayer is nice, but rather inconsequential. I've given the Total War series a try, but they really didn't do it for me.

A fun game that a lot of people overlooked was Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2. Instead of single units you create armies at a time, and can lead to some pretty sweet battles. Oddly enough I played it on Xbox 360 before PC. Here's a random youtube video of some guy fightin' stuff. There actually are heroes that you can level up but they aren't as necessary as in WC3. Also you can make your own hero and pick your own powers, so that's neat too.

I always played Mordor so I would get the trolls. They're giant motherfuckers with giantass clubs that murder the poo poo out of weaker armies. The club wasn't just for show, if it swings and a unit is caught in the swing, they go flying; it's not just some canned animation like most RTS games. Mordor also gets these dragon things that I can't remember the name of that actually swoop down and pick up units off the ground and toss them through the air. I thought it was neat at the time.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 8, 2012

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

MMAgCh posted:

I didn't mention Sword of the Stars chiefly because I'd been under the impression that it was ludicrously buggy.

The second one is. To the point where the company actually offered mass refunds to anyone who bought it on release day. But the first one is definitely worth picking up.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
So, I'm looking for a game that can scratch that "deck-building"/"collect stuff" itch. It doesn't necessarily have to be a literal CCG type of game, but that could be nice. Think something like Pokemon, but maybe a bit more involved. Maybe something with a lot of collecting/team-building/customization. Really, any console [or PC] is fine.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

A fun game that a lot of people overlooked was Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2. Instead of single units you create armies at a time, and can lead to some pretty sweet battles. Oddly enough I played it on Xbox 360 before PC. Here's a random youtube video of some guy fightin' stuff. There actually are heroes that you can level up but they aren't as necessary as in WC3. Also you can make your own hero and pick your own powers, so that's neat too.

I always played Mordor so I would get the trolls. They're giant motherfuckers with giantass clubs that murder the poo poo out of weaker armies. The club wasn't just for show, if it swings and a unit is caught in the swing, they go flying; it's not just some canned animation like most RTS games. Mordor also gets these dragon things that I can't remember the name of that actually swoop down and pick up units off the ground and toss them through the air. I thought it was neat at the time.

Battle for Middle Earth 2 is awesome, and there is a big fan-patch for it and I think people still play it multiplayer. Really cool game overall. I wish EA would sell it on Origin or something since my copy is lost, but I guess they make more money by having it not available at all.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Contest Winner posted:

Battle for Middle Earth 2 is awesome, and there is a big fan-patch for it and I think people still play it multiplayer. Really cool game overall. I wish EA would sell it on Origin or something since my copy is lost, but I guess they make more money by having it not available at all.

I should probably mention that you don't even have to be a Lord of the Rings nerd to enjoy the game. I actually sat down and watched the movie trilogy because I played the game, not the other way around.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I should probably mention that you don't even have to be a Lord of the Rings nerd to enjoy the game. I actually sat down and watched the movie trilogy because I played the game, not the other way around.

Nope, it is a legit good RTS on its own merit.

The term 'Gandy' has become a joke between me and an old roommate of mine. We used to play this game all the time on LAN, and I once visited a forum for it where they listed 'Gandy' and slang for 'Gandalf'. Most games after that became at least in part a race to see who could build Gandy first.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I'll have to look into that Battle for Middle Earth 2. Assuming it goes on sale ever. The videos look pretty cool, pretty much exactly what I'm looking for too.

Bit too expensive on Amazon at the moment. Seems to be the only place I can find it too.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax

Reive posted:

I just found out my Guncon 2 won't work on an HDTV, and now am really bummed and want to find an alternative.
So are there any lightgun style games (Time Crisis, Vampire Night, House of the Dead, etc) for PC that just use the mouse instead of a gun?

PC light gun games: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/list-239

I don't know what the rest are like on PC but I've played Virtua Cop 2 with a mouse and it worked well enough. Also there are some light guns like the Top Gun which are supposed to work on HDTVs, never tried it though. Can buy it from Play Asia: http://www.play-asia.com/EMS_TopGun_III/paOS-13-71-1i-49-en-70-4e7s.html

Tokyo Incident fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 8, 2012

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I'm looking for a PC RPG or Action game with amazing gameplay.

Games I loved:
Batman Arkham City
Mass Effect series

Games I hate:
Skyrim. (The combat system just doesn't excite me at all.)

Really the only thing I care about is the actual gameplay. Deep story and immersive world is a bonus, but if the gameplay isn't there (like Skyrim or most MMOs in my opinion) then I won't care.

Deep upgrade/economy system would be a huge plus. As are fun travel mechanics (ala Arkham city, Assassin's creed, spider-man.)

Oh, already played Human Revolution (was fun but the boss fights kinda soured me on it.)

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 8, 2012

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

spidoman posted:

Games I loved:
Batman Arkham City
Mass Effect series

Games I hate:

Really the only thing I care about is the actual gameplay. Deep story and immersive world is a bonus, but if the gameplay isn't there (like Skyrim or most MMOs in my opinion) then I won't care.

Deep upgrade/economy system would be a huge plus. As are fun travel mechanics (ala Arkham city, Assassin's creed, spider-man.)

Oh, already played Human Revolution (was fun but the boss fights kinda soured me on it.)
Divinity II DKS might be worth looking into. If you just want great combat though, Mount & Blade: Warband is awesome, and it has some RPG elements. Not much on the story side though as it's definitely a sandbox game at heart.

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010

spidoman posted:

Games I loved:
Batman Arkham City
Mass Effect series

Games I hate:

Have you tried The Witcher series? I never finished the first Witcher but the second was great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aloofa posted:

Have you tried The Witcher series? I never finished the first Witcher but the second was great.

I got the first Witcher yesterday but I didn't care for it. Unless the combat gets a LOT more complex than "click on a dude three times", I need more. Also alchemy didn't look like something I wanted to gently caress around with and the characters have this weird uncanny valley thing going on.

I'm taking a break from WoW until the next expansion, but I still want to play something like it. Basically I want a single player MMO, something with actual combat rotations rather than just "click on a dude, right click every once in a while". Also I want WASD movement.

I recently reactiviated my Steam account, and already had Titan's Quest and Torchlight, and they were just boring me. I guess I'm just addicted to the WoW-style MMO gameplay and am wondering if there's anything like that for the single player?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

spidoman posted:

Games I loved:
Batman Arkham City
Mass Effect series

Games I hate:

A PC port of Dark Souls has just been announced, and will be released in August. That's still quite a ways off, but that game has just about the best gameplay of any action RPG I've ever played, so just wanted to give you a heads-up.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

zoux posted:

I got the first Witcher yesterday but I didn't care for it. Unless the combat gets a LOT more complex than "click on a dude three times", I need more. Also alchemy didn't look like something I wanted to gently caress around with and the characters have this weird uncanny valley thing going on.

I'm taking a break from WoW until the next expansion, but I still want to play something like it. Basically I want a single player MMO, something with actual combat rotations rather than just "click on a dude, right click every once in a while". Also I want WASD movement.

I recently reactiviated my Steam account, and already had Titan's Quest and Torchlight, and they were just boring me. I guess I'm just addicted to the WoW-style MMO gameplay and am wondering if there's anything like that for the single player?

So basically, you want good combat mechanics?

Two games you might like to try: Prototype and Vindictus. The former is a game about having superpowers and flipping out and slaughtering innocents and/or soldiers and/or zombies. The latter is an actual MMO (so, multiplayer), but with surprisingly good, complex, actiony combat. It's also free-to-play, give it a shot!

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

A PC port of Dark Souls has just been announced, and will be released in August. That's still quite a ways off, but that game has just about the best gameplay of any action RPG I've ever played, so just wanted to give you a heads-up.

I played about 3 hours of Dark Souls on the PS3, after failing the second or third fight for an hour I gave up. I used to be good at video games. :(

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

Witcher 2 is radically different and I think you'd dig it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Witcher 2 is radically different and I think you'd dig it.

Do I have to have played the first one to get what's going on?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

spidoman posted:

I played about 3 hours of Dark Souls on the PS3, after failing the second or third fight for an hour I gave up. I used to be good at video games. :(

Let me guess, the undead burg/taurus demon? I got stuck there for four hours before it clicked and I was able to start making real progress. When I started a new character, I tore through the undead burg in less than 15 minutes. It's worth sticking with!

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Ashenai posted:

So basically, you want good combat mechanics?

Two games you might like to try: Prototype and Vindictus. The former is a game about having superpowers and flipping out and slaughtering innocents and/or soldiers and/or zombies. The latter is an actual MMO (so, multiplayer), but with surprisingly good, complex, actiony combat. It's also free-to-play, give it a shot!

Prototype is extremely fun, yes. You can feel pretty invincible at some points.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

Nope! But CD Projekt Red kindly released this video to tell you what happened(hey this link spoils the entirety of Witcher 1):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd7uTHCcMxc

I dunno how helpful it is for someone who hasn't played the game, and truth be told Witcher 1 DOES flesh out Geralt more as a character, but I played them backward and didn't have any trouble following the story.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Dark souls is some good old-fashioned eagle-jumping ninja gaiden difficulty. They do not make them like they used to.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

zoux posted:

You don't really have to know anything about the first game, it only references it story wise for the introduction and then it has nothing to do with it. Geralt doesn't really have a huge huge story arc, but rather a collection of adventures. The novels are like this as well.

There will be characters that have been long term friends of Geralt, but don't assume you're missing a big piece of information from having not 'met' them in the first game. You don't meet them in the first game either, they're just his adventure-going companions.

But yes, Witcher 2 is amazing and should be played.

Edit: I guess I'll ask for a recommendation as well since I'm just milling around on spring break without much to play. I played and beat System Shock 2 for the first time recently and fell in love with the game. Outside of Half Life, is there any other games in the same style that I should play?

the Gaffe fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 8, 2012

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

the Gaffe posted:

You don't really have to know anything about the first game, it only references it story wise for the introduction and then it has nothing to do with it. Geralt doesn't really have a huge huge story arc, but rather a collection of adventures. The novels are like this as well.

There will be characters that have been long term friends of Geralt, but don't assume you're missing a big piece of information from having not 'met' them in the first game. You don't meet them in the first game either, they're just his adventure-going companions.

But yes, Witcher 2 is amazing and should be played.

Edit: I guess I'll ask for a recommendation as well since I'm just milling around on Spring Break without much to play. I recently played and beat System Shock 2 for the first time recently and fell in love with the game. Outside of Half Life, is there any other games in the same style that I should play?

I looked at some gameplay vids, I'm not sure it's exactly what I'm looking for. I wish it had a demo, $40 is a bit steep for a blind buy for me. Maybe I'll check it out if it ever goes on sale.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

DrankSinatra posted:

So, I'm looking for a game that can scratch that "deck-building"/"collect stuff" itch. It doesn't necessarily have to be a literal CCG type of game, but that could be nice. Think something like Pokemon, but maybe a bit more involved. Maybe something with a lot of collecting/team-building/customization. Really, any console [or PC] is fine.

Going to second this, I'd love a game like that.

vv: Beaten that, but yeah that is a great game :).

Read fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 9, 2012

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Read posted:

Going to second this, I'd love a game like that.

There's an ongoing LP of Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean for GC. Go check that out and see if it appeals to you—it has fun, challenging gameplay, a neat CCG-like battle system with each party member having their own fully customizable deck, some really imaginative dungeon design, and a great visual style. The voice acting is infamously bad, and the plot tries to cram as many ridiculous twists into the second half as it can, but other than that I think it's great.

The gameplay system is very different (and worse) in Baten Kaitos: Origins, and I don't recommend that one.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I need something to scratch my customization and tinkering itch since I can't play Armored Core 5 right now. Action/shooting prefered, but an SRPG with lots of stuff to fiddle with might work too.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

I need something to scratch my customization and tinkering itch since I can't play Armored Core 5 right now. Action/shooting prefered, but an SRPG with lots of stuff to fiddle with might work too.

Have you played the Front Mission series? The first is on the SNES and I think they've transferred to PS1/2 now. There was also a Front Mission shooter on the SNES that had some customization and I thought was a pretty fun game all in all.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Played 3, Gunhazard, half of 1 and the demo of 4. 3 was by far the best of the lot and 4 seemed like several steps back.

note: tinkering/customization are more important than robots, though robots make it extra fun.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

spidoman posted:

Games I loved:
Batman Arkham City
Mass Effect series

Games I hate:

zoux posted:

Both of you have basically just described Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Diablo-like upgrade paths for gear and skills. Fun, interesting, expressive, tactile combat system. MMO style world and quest system, relatively linear dungeons that are satisfying to run through and check off the list as you complete them.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 9, 2012

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

dis astranagant posted:

Gratioutis Space Battles.

trapt
Sep 21, 2010
What would be the best 4X browser game? I'm looking for a good one to spend a few minutes on every now and then.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Neptune's Pride, if you've got friends and a lot of time...

I'm looking for a squad based game where I can hire/create a crack team of badarses and command them through a tough campaign. Games like this that I've enjoyed include:

-X-Com
-Jagged Alliance 2
-Fallout Tactics
-Syndicate

Anything else out there? It doesn't have to be turn-based, but if it's realtime it must have decent controls.

My platforms are PC and PS2.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 14, 2012

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Chas McGill posted:

Neptune's Pride, if you've got friends and a lot of time...

I'm looking for a squad based game where I can hire/create a crack team of badarses and command them through a tough campaign. Games like this that I've enjoyed include:

-X-Com
-Jagged Alliance 2
-Fallout Tactics
-Syndicate

Anything else out there? It doesn't have to be turn-based, but if it's realtime it must have decent controls.

If you haven't already, I really suggest checking out the Wasteland 2 kickstarter; I think it's gonna be the exact type of game you want. Obviously it won't be done for a while, but for 3 more days you can help its development and (essentially) pre-order it for $15, which is a lot cheaper than it's going to be when it comes out.

There's also a new X-Com game coming out in the fall that looks very promising.

As for games that are out now, you've touched on the major ones. I've heard mostly good things about Silent Storm, but I haven't played it yet.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Ashenai posted:

If you haven't already, I really suggest checking out the Wasteland 2 kickstarter; I think it's gonna be the exact type of game you want. Obviously it won't be done for a while, but for 3 more days you can help its development and (essentially) pre-order it for $15, which is a lot cheaper than it's going to be when it comes out.

There's also a new X-Com game coming out in the fall that looks very promising.

As for games that are out now, you've touched on the major ones. I've heard mostly good things about Silent Storm, but I haven't played it yet.

I've already slapped $55 on that Wasteland bad boy!

Mm, Silent Storm would be an idea, but the camera in that video looks really fiddly. I wish there were more fixed view isometric games out there.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm hopelessly addicted to kairosoft games. They made me realize I love running an organization/something and seeing my power and money and influence rise to the point of controlling whatever market I'm in. Numbers numbers numbers!I also love doing that in civilization games. There's something relaxing about playing these games at a low difficulty and seeing myself rise to unstoppable power.

So recommend me games like that. I want to prosper and expand! I crave it!

discgolferguy
Oct 5, 2011

by angerbutt

Ashenai posted:

Nice! Thanks for the suggestion, I just backed it as well. I never played the original, but you can tell that guy is very passionate about it. I am a big fan of unique RPGs like this; it'll be very interesting to see how wasteland 2 turns out 30+ years after the original was released. image removed

It's awesome that they were backed nearly 3x what they were shooting for - more power to them! Can't wait to play.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

So I've been on a western kick as of late. Thats western as in the old west and not made in the west. Are there any good western games beyond Red Dead Redemption? Bonus points for being an openly world game or rpg like RDR.

I've really never heard of much in that setting but man one can on play red dead, gun, and new Vegas so much.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

randombattle posted:

So I've been on a western kick as of late. Thats western as in the old west and not made in the west. Are there any good western games beyond Red Dead Redemption? Bonus points for being an openly world game or rpg like RDR.

I've really never heard of much in that setting but man one can on play red dead, gun, and new Vegas so much.

Law of the West:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrMk9RyCWKI&feature=related
(Supposedly the father of Mass Effect-like games where the conversation is dynamic and you choose from multiple responses)

and

Outlaws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPCXwbkSlp0
(the guy goes on about Gun, etc, too!)

Neither fits the open-world/RPG thing, but they are both kinda interesting Western games.

Call of Juarez 1 and 2 might be good, too, but have the same problem as the above games. Also Sunset Riders, which is completely off the mark.

Lead and Gold for PC might scratch that 'RPG' itch, since you pick classes, but it's a team-based FPS, kinda like TF2 or something.

...and the Wild Arms series, while being completely full of stupid anime cliches, is an RPG set in the 'Wild West', at least sort of.

Okay, that's all the cowboy games I can think of, pardner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

randombattle posted:

Desperados