Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
All I want to see is Skull Knight getting animated because I love that dude.

The trailer looks pretty good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

Go back to sk with that spergy poo poo sir!

Haha sorry, it's more due to my interest in animation techniques and less due to my enjoyment of Berserk. I nitpick, but I'm still really happy with how this looks.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ccs posted:

Haha sorry, it's more due to my interest in animation techniques and less due to my enjoyment of Berserk. I nitpick, but I'm still really happy with how this looks.

It's not that bad, at least you're not spending pages discussing why the animators decided to put OMFG FEATHERS on a character's armor, and also asking people who have seen the movie if there's an explanation in the movie as to why they're wearing said feathers.

Basic concepts like motifs and artistic liberties must be foreign to these people I guess.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Ccs posted:

While I'd say you were nitpicking a bit much, it is slightly jarring. The real problem, as far as I can tell anyway, is that it's an anime styled face. No, really. If you think about anime, you usually end up with very rounded and simplified jaw structures (except for the super-ultra-manly characters with jaws made from blocks of chiseled granite). Which is totally cool for 2D art... but that looks like a CGI Griffith, so they modeled him simplified to match the 2D art, which looks absolutely normal until you do a 3D pan of and see the cartoony shape of his head amidst the Disney-level detail of the ballroom. Now you can tell that his head resembles early PS2 CGI openings with a better cel shader.

:eng101:: I also study animation here and there, so I can see where he's coming from. As for Corkus, it's on the previous page and I'm too lazy open a new tab to see if it's just that he's CGI or not.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Well the Corkus thing just jumped out at me, it was like "woah, those two things aren't the same medium." Which is weird, considering the renderer is built to render characters as if they were cell shaded and outlined with ink. I don't know if the reason CG cell-shaded animation looks so jarring is due to the way it's rendered or due to the movement. But even when I look at a still frame I can usually tell whether it's CG or drawn. The CG frame just doesn't look right and I can't explain why, though I've tried.

Edit- God, the more I watch that Griffith rotating shot I CAN'T understand why it looks odd, since every frame seems to make sense and perfectly keeps the solidity of the character's head. This is driving me crazy. I'm sure if they had drawn every frame for him rotating like that it would look great, even amazing! Even if they traced over the lines the computer made. Do human hands actually drawing the lines really make that much of difference?

Ccs fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 24, 2012

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ccs posted:

The CG frame just doesn't look right and I can't explain why, though I've tried.

Edit- God, the more I watch that Griffith rotating shot I CAN'T understand why it looks odd, since every frame seems to make sense and perfectly keeps the solidity of the character's head. This is driving me crazy. I'm sure if they had drawn every frame for him rotating like that it would look great, even amazing! Even if they traced over the lines the computer made. Do human hands actually drawing the lines really make that much of difference?

It's not hard to understand, you're explaining it yourself. Your head makes sense of it. CG is most of the time, perfect. Your brain recognizes it is CG because it doesn't offer flaws. It becomes a mathematical model, and your brain finds it weird because we're not (simple) mathematical models. Even algorithms to make the cel shading outlines look like hand-drawn outlines are still algorithms and eventually you'll make sense out of it.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 24, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Can somebody explain what this is, besides a hilarious sight-gag? I looked up the name and I see that he was an influential anime director, but is it something specific?

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam
Apparently the first of the new Berserk movies is coming to DVD in May. Does anybody know roughly which volumes of the manga that movie covers? I'm currently reading it.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

busfahrer posted:

Apparently the first of the new Berserk movies is coming to DVD in May. Does anybody know roughly which volumes of the manga that movie covers? I'm currently reading it.

It will cover volumes 3-6. If you want to know the exact scene it ends at, it ends with Guts walking away after Griffith tells Charlotte what he considers a true friend to be.

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 1, 2012

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

notZaar posted:

Can somebody explain what this is, besides a hilarious sight-gag? I looked up the name and I see that he was an influential anime director, but is it something specific?

Puck appears as Jim Hawkins from the 1978 TV anime adaptation of Treasure Island, Takarajima.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If they make a movie out of the eclipse, I will love them for it, but I will not see it. That part of the manga hurt, and it took my wife and I almost a year after we bought the DVD before we actually watched it. I don't think I can bear to see it again.

One of the things that I'm scared of reading the ongoing manga right now is thinking that we're watching another golden age for Guts and it's all going to come crashing to pieces.

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

Lotish posted:

One of the things that I'm scared of reading the ongoing manga right now is thinking that we're watching another golden age for Guts and it's all going to come crashing to pieces.

Guts will be provided the opportunity to sacrifice his friends just like Griffith, he will tell them to go gently caress themselves, and then everyone will die anyway.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

ArchDemon posted:

Guts will be provided the opportunity to sacrifice his friends just like Griffith, he will tell them to go gently caress themselves, and then everyone will die anyway.

If anyone survives past the end of Berserk, something has gone wrong.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

NightHunter posted:

If anyone survives past the end of Berserk, something has gone wrong.

Isidro will be the sole survivor of the party, and he will be horribly scarred (emotionally and physically) by his experiences. He'll then swear revenge on something or someone and the last scene will be him going off to murder tens of thousands of people.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Isidro will be the sole survivor of the party, and he will be horribly scarred (emotionally and physically) by his experiences. He'll then swear revenge on something or someone and the last scene will be him going off to murder tens of thousands of people.

I guess Guts could become a new version of the Skull Knight for him as well.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

First movie will be out in North America this fall: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-04-07/viz-media-licenses-berserk-film-trilogy

I don't really keep track of anime all that much, but isn't Viz pretty decent as far as handling this poo poo goes?

Didn't they completely gently caress up Monster and only one DVD set was released or some poo poo? (which would be pretty loving criminal, it's an amazing show and deserves a lot better)

Also Miura apparently provided some custom artwork for the Blu-ray release:

Pretty awesome.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Awesome Welles posted:

First movie will be out in North America this fall: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-04-07/viz-media-licenses-berserk-film-trilogy

I don't really keep track of anime all that much, but isn't Viz pretty decent as far as handling this poo poo goes?

Didn't they completely gently caress up Monster and only one DVD set was released or some poo poo? (which would be pretty loving criminal, it's an amazing show and deserves a lot better)

Pretty awesome.

Aw man, Miura, don't give me a reason to keep a slipcase. I always throw the drat things out, but...

When's it hitting stores in Japan? When can we expect to see it as :filez:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hatter106 posted:

When's it hitting stores in Japan? When can we expect to see it as :filez:

May, I believe.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Awesome Welles posted:

Pretty awesome.

I wonder what the chances of this getting released in the UK are. :/

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming
I just bought this since apparently I have a problem when it comes to disposable income.

It just looks so drat bad rear end that I couldn't help myself.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
What did that thing cost you and where can we get one?

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming
Now don't gawk at this but it cost 64.99. I got it off Newegg but I have also seen it on Amazon for about the same price.

After looking taat up I noticed there are quite a few figures made of Berserk stuff. A lot of them are ridiculously expensive though. I saw a Zodd statue for almost 250 bucks. There is also a Boscogne figure for like 150. I didn't think there was enough demand for a figure of a character that was only in like two chapters.

Danny Bro Pty Ltd
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BlackCircle posted:

I just bought this since apparently I have a problem when it comes to disposable income.

It just looks so drat bad rear end that I couldn't help myself.

Something about those tiny knives seem wrong to me. On a guy like guts, he should be using machettes in place of those.

And those arms. They're like quads. Jesus christ :stare:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You mean the ones across his chest? Those are throwing knives.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Soulcleaver posted:

What did that thing cost you and where can we get one?

Its a figma Guts which came out this January. Typically for figmas, that means its long out of stock except random sellers (Amazon) or places that'll sell preowned items.

P.S. Griffith is coming out in July. If anyone wants him, I'd highly recommend preordering it since figmas can sell out quick. Amiami or HLJ are both good places.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

BlackCircle posted:

Now don't gawk at this but it cost 64.99. I got it off Newegg but I have also seen it on Amazon for about the same price.
Sorry but I gotta gawk. For 65 bucks it should come with 30 points of articulation and authentic bleeding neck symbol action. It still looks pretty cool though, just out of the non-obsessed fan's price range.

Danny Bro Pty Ltd
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

notZaar posted:

You mean the ones across his chest? Those are throwing knives.

I know, I just think on a guy like Guts who has elephant legs for arms, he'd be able to chuck machettes like throwing knives.

Hell, if we go by the Golden age, his sword was three times the size of a regular persons... therefore we must make everything he carries 3 times larger!

Hunting knife? Here, have a scimitar. Cross bow? Nah bro, use a ballista. Those little bombs he used once?

Son, he uses these.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That's just overcompensating.

Danny Bro Pty Ltd
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Serious Frolicking posted:

That's just overcompensating.

Dragonslayer.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You can't really throw a machete, they're not balanced for that. Dragon Slayer aside, I like all the research that goes on in this comic to bring up authentic and esoteric weapons and technology from the middle ages.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Berserk lost me when it started adding a bunch of kids to its roster around volume 22 or so. I haven't really read it since, because it didn't feel like Berserk anymore. It felt like a shounen almost. Does it go back to its darker fantasy roots in later volumes? Do the kids that follow Guts die?

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Himuro posted:

Berserk lost me when it started adding a bunch of kids to its roster around volume 22 or so. I haven't really read it since, because it didn't feel like Berserk anymore. It felt like a shounen almost. Does it go back to its darker fantasy roots in later volumes? Do the kids that follow Guts die?

It never left, no, and just read it. A little light-heartedness between volumes of rape, murder, and horror isn't a loving genre-shift.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DrakePegasus posted:

It never left, no, and just read it. A little light-heartedness between volumes of rape, murder, and horror isn't a loving genre-shift.

I would have disagreed with you when I was 13.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno I kind of like Guts better now. He has motivation and character other than revenge. The kids are alright too, except for that bit of fanservice with the witch girl a while back. That was almost a deal-breaker.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The Black Swordsman arc was Guts at his lowest. Guts was still kicking rear end because that is just what he does, but he lost everything and went more than a little crazy with grief and rage. I'm guessing that years of sleep deprivation didn't do him any favors, either.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

notZaar posted:

I dunno I kind of like Guts better now. He has motivation and character other than revenge. The kids are alright too, except for that bit of fanservice with the witch girl a while back. That was almost a deal-breaker.

What fanservice was this?

edit: Guess I don't remember that, or I blocked it out of memory. Sounds stupid.

Unacknowledged fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 17, 2012

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I think there was a scene where she fell nude onto Gutts while he was sleeping, which was kind of like Miura was just looking for an excuse to draw it. Sometimes the guy's motivations for drawing things seem a bit questionable.

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

Mr. Deathy posted:

I think there was a scene where she fell nude onto Gutts while he was sleeping, which was kind of like Miura was just looking for an excuse to draw it. Sometimes the guy's motivations for drawing things seem a bit questionable.

Idolmaster and all that you know :pedo:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

ArchDemon posted:

Idolmaster and all that you know :pedo:

At least he doesn't actually go after underage girls, like the guy who does Toriko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I would honestly never have imagined that the writer of Toriko was heterosexual until the first time I saw that story.