Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

So I finally got my wife using Google Voice as her voicemail provider on her Atrix. She likes it except for one thing...she hates it.

She gets a lot of voicemails. Probably averages 15 or 20 voicemails a day. The features of Google Voice are nice for managing all those voicemails. The big problem is that she keeps discovering voicemails on the GVoice website that don't show up in the app on her phone, and vice versa. This is pretty lovely and unacceptable.

Anyone else run into this sort of problem?

Can't say I have, all my voicemails have been good about showing up in the GVoice app on my Atrix. However, you might want to think about either updating her phone to a CM9 build (The Jokersax ones are really good), or, well, wait until AT&T/Motorola push the ICS update. The GV app recently updated to integrate voicemail into the system's box instead of the app, which I hope/think would fix the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I just found Google's own 'Chrome to Mobile' extension, and it seems to do the job nicely for pushing stuff between my phone and PC. Any ideas on how to remove sent pages from their history within the Chrome for Android app, though? It seems to be independent of the main CfA browsing history controls.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

So I finally got my wife using Google Voice as her voicemail provider on her Atrix. She likes it except for one thing...she hates it.

She gets a lot of voicemails. Probably averages 15 or 20 voicemails a day. The features of Google Voice are nice for managing all those voicemails. The big problem is that she keeps discovering voicemails on the GVoice website that don't show up in the app on her phone, and vice versa. This is pretty lovely and unacceptable.

Does she have background data turned on?

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Thermopyle posted:

I haven't had this particular problem, but is she able to/okay with checking the messages on the computer? Google Voice has a webpage interface similar to GMail that I find pretty easy to use. You can listen to the messages, and the web version even has a few more features than the mobile version. I guess I'm operating under the assumption that the problem she's having has something to do with the app as opposed to the actual service.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've been hoping to find a car dock app that I like. Anyone have any recommendations for ones to try?

Basically, I like Car Home except for its lack of media support. I hate having to get out of the app to start/stop/skip tracks.

I tried Car Home Ultra, which is basically Car Home with a few added features, but doesn't quite work for me. I lets you add media buttons, which is nice. It also has this big "widget" (for lack of a better word) that takes up 1/4 of the screen to show speed, direction, time, and temperature, all things that my car already tells my. If it had a music widget instead, or gave the ability to remove the widget altogether and replace with by a 2x4 grid (instead of 2x3), it'd suit my needs.

Car Dock Home v3 seems do do what I want (make a 2x4 grid, place a music widget across the top, and have 6 quick dial buttons below), but it has the drawback of being butt ugly. I like the ability to give the screen a color overlay in Car Home, making every monochromatic and less distracting. Car Dark Home just shows your regular home screen icons, just stretched and pixelated if you want them bigger and easier to see.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Manky posted:

Can't say I have, all my voicemails have been good about showing up in the GVoice app on my Atrix. However, you might want to think about either updating her phone to a CM9 build (The Jokersax ones are really good), or, well, wait until AT&T/Motorola push the ICS update. The GV app recently updated to integrate voicemail into the system's box instead of the app, which I hope/think would fix the problem.

I may just move her to CM9, but I really want to minimize my tech support hours on this going forward, so it will depend upon how good it is.

I use GV on my Galaxy Nexus with the integrated voicemail. It works fine except you don't get the voicemail transcripts in any way.

big mean giraffe posted:

Does she have background data turned on?

Yes.

Blakkout posted:

I haven't had this particular problem, but is she able to/okay with checking the messages on the computer? Google Voice has a webpage interface similar to GMail that I find pretty easy to use. You can listen to the messages, and the web version even has a few more features than the mobile version. I guess I'm operating under the assumption that the problem she's having has something to do with the app as opposed to the actual service.

When I said "GVoice website" and how it didn't have some of the voicemails the phone did, and vice versa, I was talking about the webpage interface.

The problem is the constant gnawing fear in the back of her mind that she's missing an important VM, and she has to check both the website and her phone to alleviate that.

Google's customer support is...useless.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the PSX4Droid 3.0.5 APK?

The guy who was releasing it on the Market had the app removed by Google and had his Google Checkout account deleted without any word from Google. Said guy who was releasing it, put it up on his website for me.

http://www.zodttd.com/wp/2011/04/psx4droid-updated-to-3-0-5/#more-612

Sadly though, the download link now 404s on me. It was posted over a year ago though.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Does anyone else use Milocker? It's always worked perfectly for me but here in the last week or so its been doing weird poo poo. The background and button thing will vanish, and it just shows my regular background. It still works, like I can slide down where the button is supposed to be and it will unlock the phone, but I have to kind of tap around to figure out where it is exactly.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

SlayVus posted:

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the PSX4Droid 3.0.5 APK?

The guy who was releasing it on the Market had the app removed by Google and had his Google Checkout account deleted without any word from Google. Said guy who was releasing it, put it up on his website for me.

http://www.zodttd.com/wp/2011/04/psx4droid-updated-to-3-0-5/#more-612

Sadly though, the download link now 404s on me. It was posted over a year ago though.

3.0.6? Like, ninth hit on google
http://gallery.mobile9.com/f/1836635/

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Speaking of Google Voicemail, has anybody had any problems lately with being unable to play messages from your phone? My mom called this morning and left a message, but when I try to play it, it just hangs on loading indefinitely. The really weird part is that I got a (poor) transcript via SMS, but when I look at the voicemail from the Google Voice app, it says the transcript is not available.

The voicemail plays fine through the web browser, though.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

spixxor posted:

Does anyone else use Milocker? It's always worked perfectly for me but here in the last week or so its been doing weird poo poo. The background and button thing will vanish, and it just shows my regular background. It still works, like I can slide down where the button is supposed to be and it will unlock the phone, but I have to kind of tap around to figure out where it is exactly.

I downloaded it the other day, and while it looked nice, it wasn't working properly for me. Half the time it seemed like when I would go to unlock the phone, the lock screen wouldn't even be there, it would just open right to the home screen. When it did work it looked very nice and had some great themes, but it was slower than balls for me. I am not sure if both problems can be attributed to my phone being kind of lovely, but I just bought a new phone and was going to try and revisit it once I receive it.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Porkchop Express posted:

I downloaded it the other day, and while it looked nice, it wasn't working properly for me. Half the time it seemed like when I would go to unlock the phone, the lock screen wouldn't even be there, it would just open right to the home screen. When it did work it looked very nice and had some great themes, but it was slower than balls for me. I am not sure if both problems can be attributed to my phone being kind of lovely, but I just bought a new phone and was going to try and revisit it once I receive it.

You're not the only one who was experiencing these problems so don't feel bad.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Well, gently caress. If Milocker's going tits up, what are some good alternatives?

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I have used Go Locker and it works a little bit better, albeit it still seemed to be pretty slow.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
WidgetLocker? I've used it for a year or so now, and I've been pretty happy with it. It seems that it needs to be updated, though.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of a free alternative to USB/BT Joystick Center?

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Porkchop Express posted:

Go Locker

Downloaded this but didn't realize I had to have go launcher to run it. I'm using adw right now, do I need to uninstall that first before I get go launcher? I'm pretty happy with adw, how do they compare?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

spixxor posted:

do I need to uninstall that first before I get go launcher?

Nope. Install a new launcher and the first time you tap Home it will ask you which launcher you want to use so feel free to try a new launcher and nothing will change with your old one if you want to go back to it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

brc64 posted:

Speaking of Google Voicemail, has anybody had any problems lately with being unable to play messages from your phone? My mom called this morning and left a message, but when I try to play it, it just hangs on loading indefinitely. The really weird part is that I got a (poor) transcript via SMS, but when I look at the voicemail from the Google Voice app, it says the transcript is not available.

The voicemail plays fine through the web browser, though.
I've gotten this occasionally for years.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Nope. Install a new launcher and the first time you tap Home it will ask you which launcher you want to use so feel free to try a new launcher and nothing will change with your old one if you want to go back to it.

But ADW is the best so you won't like it

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.
I downloaded Tunnel In radio a couple of months ago but only started using it heavily today. I had zero expectation of it integrating with the lock screen music player functionality but it appears that it does. Pretty sweet seeing how I usually have no idea who I'm listening to on the radio.

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.
Android problems. Android life.

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Holy poo poo Go Launcher is snappy. And just effectively eliminated the need for at least 2 of my apps. Think I might just stick with it.

The screen transitions are fun to play with too.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Steriletom posted:

Double post problems. Double post life.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

UncleNaughtyFingers posted:

I was using Pocket Casts since it was a Amazon AOTD, after it started acting up I ended up buying DC

The author was getting absolutely no money from Amazon AOTD sales (as in, Amazon basically gave away his app without asking and gave him nothing for it), and the app refreshes quickly by hitting up his server which pre-caches the podcast, so AOTD "buyers" were creating traffic on his server without actually having paid anything to support it because Amazon is dicks.

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Double post problems. Double post life.

Triple, to be exact.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

(as in, Amazon basically gave away his app without asking and gave him nothing for it)
While Amazon is certainly not blameless in misrepresenting (at least to the public) the success (or lack thereof) of FAOTD on app revenue, according to shiftyjelly, Amazon did ask them if they wanted to be a FAOTD first, and did clarify the 0% revenue share up front. In fact, there was even email clarification over that point.

If it was uneconomical for shiftyjelly to make Pocket Casts a FAOTD due to bandwidth costs, then honestly it was their mistake for doing it.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
Can anyone recommend any awesome picture frame / information apps, or anything really snazzy?

I have an HP Touchpad running CM9 / ICS and its attached to my wall like a digital picture frame For the last few months I've had it on the basic android desktop with a few widgets, namely Beatiful Widgets and some others. It shows a big clock so I can read it across the room, and moderately sized weather and temp. Additionally I got some widgets that let me show facebook updates and email updates. And in the corner is a iTunes remote app so I can remotely play my iTunes library through my AppleTV to my stereo system.

I was wondering if there was anything awesome that I can have running there that offers integration or snazzy effects, I don't know. Any major app thats made for a device that sits there, constantly on, like an integrated clock / weather / info app or something? Or any other app that would look great running 100 percent of the time but serves a purpose.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Has anyone attempted to use Battstatt on a Galaxy Nexus? The app itself works fine, but will crash / not load if you set the on-click to Battery Usage. Which is sort of important to me.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Has anyone attempted to use Battstatt on a Galaxy Nexus? The app itself works fine, but will crash / not load if you set the on-click to Battery Usage. Which is sort of important to me.

I just use Minimalistic Text to create the text battery widget with the same behavior. Works perfectly fine on my Galaxy Nexus.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

spixxor posted:

Holy poo poo Go Launcher is snappy. And just effectively eliminated the need for at least 2 of my apps. Think I might just stick with it.

The screen transitions are fun to play with too.

It really is my favorite non-ICS launcher. They put out pretty regular updates for it too.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I switched to GoLauncher from Launcher Pro plus and never looked back. Best launcher out there imo

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

explosivo posted:

Yeah I switched to GoLauncher from Launcher Pro plus and never looked back. Best launcher out there imo

I might go back to Launcher Pro if it ever gets updated, but I've been having a good enough experience with Go Launcher in the interim. I just wish the app drawer would freaking close when I launch an app from it! That's by far my biggest annoyance.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

anakha posted:

I just use Minimalistic Text to create the text battery widget with the same behavior. Works perfectly fine on my Galaxy Nexus.

Works great, but one minor issue: it puts the battery temp (which isn't really important, so I might not even use it) in Celsius. Is there any way to put it to Imperial?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Works great, but one minor issue: it puts the battery temp (which isn't really important, so I might not even use it) in Celsius. Is there any way to put it to Imperial?

According to this list, that still needs to be added to the app as an option.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I will have to live with this title since I am too cheap to buy a new one.
I'm sure there is an easy answer for this but are there any good apps out there that will do an alarm and then sort of greet you with a: "Here is today's weather and schedule" type thing?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Now that my Galaxy Nexus has replaced my stolen HTC Desire I want to know what the best theft app is. I would prefer if it worked without root and all it needs to do is wipe the phone remotely.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Red_Fred posted:

Now that my Galaxy Nexus has replaced my stolen HTC Desire I want to know what the best theft app is. I would prefer if it worked without root and all it needs to do is wipe the phone remotely.

Cerberus works without root but has additional features when it has root privileges.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lsdroid.cerberus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icechris
Aug 26, 2008

Nothing is hotter than a chick who could kill you with her bare hands
Is there any easy way to get my apps linked back to the market so they get updated? I had to reset my phone and it reinstalled everything automatically but for some reason various apps are not showing up in the installed list or are showing up on not installed despite being installed.

I've tried clearing the cache and data for the Play Store app but that hasn't worked.

If i goto the apps page itself it recognises its installed.

Edit: Ok thats strange, its showing all those apps now that I've asked. Literally 50+ apps just appeared on the list.

icechris fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 9, 2012

• Locked thread