Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

KataraniSword posted:

That's probably the most patently unfair. I'd argue that trying to let Mari-Kresnik kill Kudlak is more bullshit, though, considering there's a myriad of different things that can go wrong that are entirely out of your control (Kaido killing Kudlak, Kudlak killing Kaido, Kudlak killing Mari, Kudlak escaping before you have a chance to pen him in, Mari being a drat idiot and never doing any damage...)

That's an easy battle. He's can be petrified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Axle_Stukov posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if Viles were somehow bugged when used by the enemy and get faster turns instead of slower. I mean when I watch a team with a Vile get 3 turns to my units 1 turn I really think something's up.

What's tricky is that Dragons/Viles take more time to attack, but their targets also take more time to counterattack. Normally, attacking takes 2 units of time and counterattacking takes 1, but (or so I've read,) Dragon/Viles boost that to 3 and 2 respectively. So the attacker still only pays one more time unit than the defender, but also prevents them from taking any action.

Let's say you move (2) and attack (2) some other enemy unit, then heal (1), for a total of 5 units of delay. A Vile moves (2) into range and attacks (3), putting you up to 7 units of delay while only paying 5 itself. The vile gets its next turn when your delay hits 2, putting you back to 4 units while only paying 3. The vile then gets a third turn in a row, with both your delays ending up at 3 by the end. Hopefully, since you moved first, your delay is actually slightly less than 3, allowing you to finally take another turn.

Of course, that's a 1-on-1 situation. If the Vile has a buddy run in and get slaughtered immediately, that's still 1 extra unit of delay for the defender, giving the Vile an extra turn. If a second Vile starts targeting the defender, they can force the defender to accumulate delay faster than he can spend it, locking him down indefinitely. Having counterattacks incur delay works against an outnumbered team, i.e. the player's.

I'm not sure if the defender taking an extra unit of time to defend is a bug, or if it's meant to help the AI now that all humans move 4 squares and nearly all demons move 3. On the one hand, it improves all the mobility-enhancing demons (and Snakes), which makes the game more interesting than if you could rely solely on brute force. On the other hand, losing all your actions due to an obtuse mechanic is frustrating. I just wish they didn't hide the time delay bar! What was the point of doing that?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Jungo is the best character because he's practically a caveman. JUNGO MAKE SOUP. YOU EAT! JUNGO FIND CAT. WHY CAT NOT MOVE? JUNGO SAD. JUNGO SAVE CAT!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Catalina posted:

Yay! Devil Survivor 2 arrived in the mail today! :j:

I've played for two hours, and it's already managed to shock me: The game is not over if the Main Character dies in battle. That's blasphemy; this is a Shin Megami Tensei game!

:goonsay: Actually, at least one (I think it's both) of the first two main SMT titles let you continue as long as you had one human left (though you don't always have more than one human character).

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

vilkacis posted:

:goonsay: Actually, at least one (I think it's both) of the first two main SMT titles let you continue as long as you had one human left (though you don't always have more than one human character).

SMT1 and SMT2 both let you continue as long as a human is alive. SMTif... boots you back to the last healing spot if your main character dies. Majin Tensei and Majin Tensei 2 gives you game over if any of your human characters die. Devil Summoner and Soul Hackers gives you game over if your main character dies. Persona and both versions of Persona 2 don't care if your main character dies or not.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

vilkacis posted:

No SMT-related title did the "MC death = game over" thing until Nocturne, if I recall. It's pretty much entirely a recent thing. It's just that no one plays anything made before Nocturne anymore, if they even go back that far.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
gently caress. It started with P3FES, I then bought SJ, and I just ordered DS1. I think I caught the bug.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Rascyc posted:

Were they recycled from DS1? It's been forever since I touched DS1 so I honestly couldn't remember. I figured that was the case.

Yes. The policeman thing bugged me too because in this one they aren't evil :smith:

Edit: The whole ranged thing is bugging me too. I just lost Joe to the final battle (stage 1) because one of the guardians got FOUR TURNS* before his buddy finally came over and finished him off. I know the game punishes dogpiles but man I forgot how obtuse and weird the turn order gets.

* the guardian wasted them all on attacking since Joe was casting Wall

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 3, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Oldstench posted:

gently caress. It started with P3FES, I then bought SJ, and I just ordered DS1. I think I caught the bug.

It's not bad until you have a gamestop in Ohio order you a copy of Devil Summoner 1 from Virginia.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment screenshots

Mostly old ones except for the anime cutscene pictures.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Policenaut posted:

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment screenshots

Mostly old ones except for the anime cutscene pictures.

P5's main character needs to be that cat.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
So I have a DS, but no 3DS. Should I just play DS1 now or wait til sometime down the line when I have a chance to get a 3DS cheap and play the updated version?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Davos posted:

So I have a DS, but no 3DS. Should I just play DS1 now or wait til sometime down the line when I have a chance to get a 3DS cheap and play the updated version?

There's not really enough new content to justify the wait, in my opinion at least.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

More new stuff about Persona 4 The Golden! Straight from this week's issue of Famitsu (looking for scans)

I'll summarize here
  • New TV shows! All of these can be watched after school.
    - A currently unnamed show will feature Soejima's art. It sounds like it might be ABOUT the art though
    - "A month long special" with a ton of anime clips to watch.
    - "Hey Hey Hoo! Music King" which lets you listen to some of the new songs in The Golden
    - "Midnight Quiz" is a quiz show hosted by Teddie.
  • Player Profiles!
    This is linked to The Golden's "Rescue System", where you call out for help in real time over 3G/Wi-Fi to other P4G players and they can respond with assistance such as a healing or temporary buff. When you perform this action, you will trade a "Player Profile Card" with the other player. They detail your rescue count, your handle (PSN) name, a personal message (PSN message maybe?), and an icon representing your favorite character
  • Newly evolved persona!
    - Naoto's Persona can now evolve into "Kamuy-Mosir"
    - Teddie's Persona can now evolve into "Sumera Mikoto"

A comment on the article notes that they may have accidentally translated the Persona names incorrectly for the characters, and that Naoto and Teddie's should be swapped.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Yeah those names are mixed up, looking it up Kamuy is an Ainu word that means god/diety/BEAR. So Kamuy-Mosir has got to be Teddie's.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
So with the new evolved Personas, do they evolve from the old evolved ones? For example, it's like Jirya->Susanno-o->New one? And do we know how they become the new one?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Policenaut posted:

- "Midnight Quiz" is a quiz show hosted by Teddie.

YES.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Thuryl posted:

Does Evil Flow stack with Chaos Breath? I'm assuming not, but having 8 attack range would be pretty amazing.

It does.

Have fun nailing even many bosses from outside their range; the day 7 boss even only has 7 range.

skog
Aug 20, 2009
I'm teetering on getting Persona 1&2 on the Vita. Since I've only played 3 and 4, am I going to hate them?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

skog posted:

I'm teetering on getting Persona 1&2 on the Vita. Since I've only played 3 and 4, am I going to hate them?

Maybe! They're radically different beasts than 3 and 4, and are very much products of their time. Persona 1 is pretty archaic and confusing, and, well, it's an ugly game. I like it, Technique likes it, but I fear we are the only two people here who do. Persona 2 Innocent Sin has some serious loading issues that can really drag down your desire to deal with the older, PSX-era conventions.

They're both primarily dungeon crawlers with frequent random encounters, and far, far less talky than P3 and P4, which led some folks to feel like the games move too fast.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I went back and played Innocent Sin after I finished P4, and I feel that Innocent Sin has the best SMT story out there (admittedly going through Eternal Punishment now so who knows if that's better) but Innocent Sin is definitely worth playing, if only for the story.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Beat DS2 :toot:

Don't know what I would have done without Jungo. He did like 4200 damage in one combat thanks to Deathbound.

Also I agree with the "holy cow" on the boss. The left arm is insane. Physical stuff does so much damage in DS2 compared to magic and now the physical dudes are the ones to really watch out for.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Dragongem posted:

Beat DS2 :toot:

Don't know what I would have done without Jungo. He did like 4200 damage in one combat thanks to Deathbound.

Also I agree with the "holy cow" on the boss. The left arm is insane. Physical stuff does so much damage in DS2 compared to magic and now the physical dudes are the ones to really watch out for.

Yeah, physical attacks are powerful enough, physical skills are diverse enough and physical reflection is rare enough that you could probably have as many as three solid physical teams in DS2 if you really wanted. Magic is still totally usable and has its own advantages, but physicals just straight-up wreck enemies.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

skog posted:

P1 is, as mentioned, a love it or hate it game, but if you haven't played P2 then i just feel bad for you. Please play P2!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It's Quiz Time! C'mon grab your friends!
And go to very distant lands! Teddie the Bear and Yosuke the Human!
The fun will never end! It's Quiz Time!

Check out my sick new hat

Okay so click the picture to see more hot quiz action (and the new Personas and stuff)

Anyway, here's an update on that new stuff from Famitsu on The Golden. Out of the 4 new channels, 3 of them are designed to be content viewers for new content in The Golden. You'll be able to re-watch anime clips, check out art for the game, and listen to the soundtrack through them. Midnight Quiz, on the other hand, appears to be a fully-fledged quiz game. I can't wait to see how that turns out!

The new "Player Profile Card" is created at the Velvet Room and is created through preset content. Just like with the "Everybody's Voice" feature, this is presumably to keep players from spoiling stuff while utilizing network features.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Okay so click the picture to see more hot quiz action (and the new Personas and stuff)

Anyway, here's an update on that new stuff from Famitsu on The Golden. Out of the 4 new channels, 3 of them are designed to be content viewers for new content in The Golden. You'll be able to re-watch anime clips, check out art for the game, and listen to the soundtrack through them. Midnight Quiz, on the other hand, appears to be a fully-fledged quiz game. I can't wait to see how that turns out!

The new "Player Profile Card" is created at the Velvet Room and is created through preset content. Just like with the "Everybody's Voice" feature, this is presumably to keep players from spoiling stuff while utilizing network features.

This is a phallic rainbow bear with a rose rocket shoved up its heiney. Persona 4, a game with Shadow Kanji, has out-gayed itself.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Hey, hey you! You want to replay FES!?

P3: FES coming to North American PSN as PS2 Classic next week

So yeah this probably means we're getting Europe's Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 at some point.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Sadly, with the existence of Grunty's Furnace Fun this can not be the best quiz in a game.

Real shame that.

And, man, if Square-Enix would bone up and put DQ 8 on PSN I'd hvae no excuse to hold on to my old PS2.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Call me a party pooper but I still haven't been convinced that I should care about Yet Another Persona remake. Bring us P5 already.

Better yet, a new mainline SMT game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A dumb quiz game and the bear's phallic rainbow soul are not what's going to make me spring to buy a Vita. I seriously hope that Atlus has something seriously good planned for the Vita in the future, because Golden is just not doing it for me. Anyways, I don't own a copy of Devil Survivor and I bought a 3DS recently, since I loved Devil Survivor, would Overclocked be worth my money?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

A dumb quiz game and the bear's phallic rainbow soul are not what's going to make me spring to buy a Vita. I seriously hope that Atlus has something seriously good planned for the Vita in the future, because Golden is just not doing it for me. Anyways, I don't own a copy of Devil Survivor and I bought a 3DS recently, since I loved Devil Survivor, would Overclocked be worth my money?

If you loved the original, I'd say it's definitely worth it. I thought I got my moneys worth despite 100%ing the original.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It's got about as much new content as P4 Golden. Which is to say, since you already have the 3DS, it's your decision, but it's certainly not enough to buy a system over.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well I didn't buy a 3DS for it, I needed a new DS and felt I should upgrade since I could get it cheap. Now it's just like "Okay, time to buy some games to attempt to justify the 70 bucks I got this for." and since I loved Devil Survivor I should just ask the opinions of people who actually bought it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Heavy neutrino posted:

Call me a party pooper but I still haven't been convinced that I should care about Yet Another Persona remake. Bring us P5 already.

Better yet, a new mainline SMT game.

Golden doesn't seem as cool as P3P due to the lack of a new perspective on the story. At the end of the day it's going to be exactly the same game but with a ski trip with some wacky hyjinks which probably won't really affect the plot outside of it and will be unmentioned after it's over. I'm not sure sure what a few extra cut scenes are going to add but it sounds like they are trying to sell this on the buckets of pure fanservice they are adding. The network stuff sounds totally forgettable but I'm assuming it's there to force people to use the Vita's gimmicks.

I'll probably end up getting it but I have to agree that any P5 news would be a lot more interesting at this point, especially when we've had like four Persona ports and spin offs released or announced since P4.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Given their track record P5 will be out once everyone has a PS4

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

I didn't see anyone else post this, but for those who don't know, Gideon Zhi will be releasing a translation of SMT: If shortly. Info and eventual release will be here: http://agtp.romhack.net

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

mrfreeze posted:

I didn't see anyone else post this, but for those who don't know, Gideon Zhi will be releasing a translation of SMT: If shortly. Info and eventual release will be here: http://agtp.romhack.net

Holy crap. That kind of came out of nowhere.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

mrfreeze posted:

Whoo! That's awesome! Thanks for posting the news! I always wanted to try SMT: If because it had a female protagonist option. And a Jack Frost in a school uniform. Plus, all the people complain about the game system's weaknesses made me want to try it even harder.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

mrfreeze posted:

Did he say "release" anywhere? Or are they just taking it on as a project? I'm not seeing any real information there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

MarsDragon posted:

Did he say "release" anywhere? Or are they just taking it on as a project? I'm not seeing any real information there.

There's a playable build (or some kind of demo, anyway) kicking around at PAX East right now, according to a buddy who was in the Classic Gaming Room earlier.