Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

King Dead posted:

Who else plays like Taskmaster? Hawkeye?

Yep, Hawkeye is a pretty good character too. I find his stuff a bit trickier to get down but at least he feels 100% consistent once you do Taskmaster stuff can be funny sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WwWuSilGl0

So another one of these things came out, and it's actually pretty useful. Not just useful if you want to use her on your team, but also useful with knowledge as to when to punish fireball spam etc. A good video!

Thanks for pointing me to this. It's good to know I understand team construction. Now to just put in the hours of execution practice...

I'm running Vergil (?)/Morrigan (harmonizer)/Doom (Beam). The good news I definitely know what I'm doing with this team. The bad news is I have no idea how to execute it.

King Dead
Apr 13, 2011

I feel like I'm going about this game wrong. I'm used to games where I can play online against people and figure out what I'm doing wrong just through experience and identifying whats happening. I mean, this is how I learn most games. But in this game all I know is I think I'm blocking and the next thing I know they land a 50-hit combo on me and my character is dead.

Also I think the game just gave up trying to find people to put me up against with my 6:40 w:l ratio and now I'm fighting people with hundreds of games and fairly positive win rates under their belts, which isn't helping.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
Nah the matchmaking sucks a big ol dick.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

OmegaGoo posted:

Thanks for pointing me to this. It's good to know I understand team construction. Now to just put in the hours of execution practice...

I'm running Vergil (?)/Morrigan (harmonizer)/Doom (Beam). The good news I definitely know what I'm doing with this team. The bad news is I have no idea how to execute it.

If you ran Morrigan on point and used Rapid Slash for Vergil and Missiles for Doom, you'd have Omniscythe's team:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aak8mAVBELs

This is back when he was still running with Wesker, but you get the idea.

blue font
Feb 28, 2011

King Dead posted:

I feel like I'm going about this game wrong. I'm used to games where I can play online against people and figure out what I'm doing wrong just through experience and identifying whats happening. I mean, this is how I learn most games. But in this game all I know is I think I'm blocking and the next thing I know they land a 50-hit combo on me and my character is dead.

Also I think the game just gave up trying to find people to put me up against with my 6:40 w:l ratio and now I'm fighting people with hundreds of games and fairly positive win rates under their belts, which isn't helping.

Speaking as someone who never got into MvC until MvC3, I can tell you that it's not as straightforward and digestible as say, Soul Calibur is. There's no getting around the fact that it just takes time and a bit of research (the srk mvc3 wiki is a good place to start) to really get a handle on some of the game mechanics at work. The guys in this thread are a great resource.

But the game is a lot of fun once you figure it out. Seriously, if you're still new, don't get discouraged by losing. Marvel is a very offensive game, and a good player is going to destroy you with an overwhelming force that you don't see as often in other fighting games. There are some shenanigans that other people use that you just won't be able to deal with until it murders you a few dozen times.

If you're on 360, I'd be happy to throw down a few matches with you. GT is Chambragne. If Marvel doesn't end up suiting your tastes, Soul Calibur 5 is actually pretty drat good as well.

For character suggestions, when I first started I was pretty rear end with any characters who didn't use quarter circles for most of their moves. I had pretty good luck with Trish and Akuma when I first started out though your mileage may vary. For you, I'd especially recommend Nova, he has some pretty good tools, and he has combos that can do huge damage for little very effort.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

ZackHoagie posted:

Nah the matchmaking sucks a big ol dick.
At this point there are so few people playing online that the game really has no choice but to pair you with killers.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Cat Machine posted:

At this point there are so few people playing online that the game really has no choice but to pair you with killers.

I'd say out of 20 matches I play 6 of them are against guys with a less than 30% record who have no idea what's going on. Having no idea what's going on can actually work in their favor a little bit because I usually don't expect them to throw out unsafe specials and hypers.

King Dead posted:

You can play online and learn Marvel. After a loss you should pause and really think about why you lost. Did you drop a combo and get hit because of it? Was there some mixup that you couldn't avoid or block?

You mentioned that you think you're blocking then the next thing you know, you're dead. Learning to block is key but if you are spending a lot of time blocking you're playing the game wrong. What you really want to do is block just enough so that you can start moving around your opponent's offense. Find angles that your opponent can't cover and get away from them. Watch them and learn when they like to teleport or superjump or whatever it is that they do, then try to avoid or counter it.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Dren posted:

I'd say out of 20 matches I play 6 of them are against guys with a less than 30% record who have no idea what's going on. Having no idea what's going on can actually work in their favor a little bit because I usually don't expect them to throw out unsafe specials and hypers.

If I had a nickel for every time I fell for a gamma crush...

King Dead
Apr 13, 2011

blue font posted:

If you're on 360, I'd be happy to throw down a few matches with you. GT is Chambragne. If Marvel doesn't end up suiting your tastes, Soul Calibur 5 is actually pretty drat good as well.

I'm on PS3 but thanks. And yeah, I was looking for a simple fighting game with a lot of "pick up and play" appeal like how I remember fighting games being. This is.. not that. Which is odd as I figured a game featuring a bunch of comic book/movie characters would be the easiest to play of the bunch.

Maybe it's not too late to return it for Soul Calibur..

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

King Dead posted:

I'm on PS3 but thanks. And yeah, I was looking for a simple fighting game with a lot of "pick up and play" appeal like how I remember fighting games being. This is.. not that. Which is odd as I figured a game featuring a bunch of comic book/movie characters would be the easiest to play of the bunch.

You'd get a lot more pick up and play appeal if you played with your friends. Being a noob and playing online is brutal no matter what game you're playing.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

King Dead posted:

SCV is way way better for pick up and play, especially if you only have online to work with, UMvC3 online is bad SCV online is good.

King Dead
Apr 13, 2011

Welp. I guess I can still watch UMVC3 tournaments online and get the best of both worlds (for me at least).

I was finally about to win a match, hiding in a corner spamming Taskmaster forward assist with Rocket Raccoon's diagonal up laser shot to which the opponent had no idea how to break.

He disconnected just as I won >:<

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

King Dead posted:

Congratulations, you just got your first rage quit. Maybe it's not too late for you to learn the game after all. :)

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

King Dead posted:

Welp. I guess I can still watch UMVC3 tournaments online and get the best of both worlds (for me at least).

I was finally about to win a match, hiding in a corner spamming Taskmaster forward assist with Rocket Raccoon's diagonal up laser shot to which the opponent had no idea how to break.

If you get people to pull their ethernet cable, you are doing something right. Welcome to playing lame. Welcome to Ultimate vs Marvel Capcom 3.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I'm currently working with Spencer/Sentinel/Akuma (a la Knives) and while I can find a decent number of resources for Spencer and Sentinel, Akuma combos on SRK seem to be either a)for vanilla or b)optimized beyond my execution level. Anyone have any basic combos for Akuma? Mid-screen, corner, no meter, anything's better than what I'm coming up with in training mode.

PS is there some secret to hitting fly combos? I'm trying a basic Sentinel - S jump j.H fly j.L j.H unfly j.H j.S - but my first j.H either never comes out or my j.L after fly is an hour late.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Omnikin posted:

PS is there some secret to hitting fly combos? I'm trying a basic Sentinel - S jump j.H fly j.L j.H unfly j.H j.S - but my first j.H either never comes out or my j.L after fly is an hour late.
It sounds like you're canceling into fly too quickly after pressing H. Let the H hit before doing the fly command. It's a slow move so slow down your inputs to match. For the L, you just have to learn the timing for when you can press a button after flying.

Break the combo into different parts then put it together later. Practice S, j. H, fly without trying to finish the rest of the combo first. Once you have that down, start trying to add the L after the fly. You can even practice fly, L outside of the combo if you want to work on the timing.

In case you want to see a similar combo in action, here's a video of Sent's mission 10 which has the S, j. H, fly, L, H, unfly, H that you're trying to do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns5WjInBUT8

As far as Akuma goes, I don't use him in Ultimate but what I remember seeing people do that works midscreen or corner: S, j. MMH demon flip L (ground bounce), land, S, j. MMH L tatsu xx super

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

Omnikin posted:

I'm currently working with Spencer/Sentinel/Akuma (a la Knives) and while I can find a decent number of resources for Spencer and Sentinel, Akuma combos on SRK seem to be either a)for vanilla or b)optimized beyond my execution level. Anyone have any basic combos for Akuma? Mid-screen, corner, no meter, anything's better than what I'm coming up with in training mode.

For akuma you want to get as many light tatsus as possible.

My akuma corner combo: j.H xx qcb.L, s.H, f.H xx qcb.L, s.L, S, j.H xx rdp.L~L, (land), S, j.M, j.M, j.H xx qcb.L xx beam super, j.S, (land), jump back, beam super. Does over 1 mil.

Not that this answers your question about sent, but the combo should be S, j.H xx fly, j.L, j.H xx unfly, j.M, dj.M, j.H, j.S, qcf.L xx qcf.LM.

The timing for the rest of the combo after the unfly is tight. It will take some time in training to get it down.

Also, if the super won't kill and you have the meter you can go into hard drive loops.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
I submit that finishing the match with a Super Skrull command taunt is an S-Tier taunt along with Tron taunt. God damnit I love this green space racist.

What assist are people using when they use Skrull (also how common is he anyway)? I'm using his Tenderizer assist since my other characters dont have great options in that front upward area. Not the greatest but it's ok I guess. I think I've asked before but is his Stone Smite assist worth anything? I'm trying to figure out gimmicky poo poo for it but the only thing I've seen with it is a wacky Frank West combo.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Waverhouse posted:

I submit that finishing the match with a Super Skrull command taunt is an S-Tier taunt along with Tron taunt. God damnit I love this green space racist.

What assist are people using when they use Skrull (also how common is he anyway)? I'm using his Tenderizer assist since my other characters dont have great options in that front upward area. Not the greatest but it's ok I guess. I think I've asked before but is his Stone Smite assist worth anything? I'm trying to figure out gimmicky poo poo for it but the only thing I've seen with it is a wacky Frank West combo.

Orbital grudge assist is really really solid. Does a lot of block and hitstun, and has super armor.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Waverhouse posted:

Tenderizer is there for incoming character mixups, really - you can use it for other things, but to get the most bang for the buck, you want to catch an incoming character with it to make him guess. Orbital Grudge can be pretty good in some situations as mentioned above, though Skrull doesn't quite have any assists that are on the level of Hidden Missiles or Shopping Cart.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I wish I could find all these godlike players, I keep running into beginner players or people that get two wins via online tactics before I go undefeated. Perhaps more people are playing on psn? I guess it could also be because I play player matches exclusively.

I wish throws were on the M button, it would fix so many stupidly good option selects and make me not want to throw my controller every time I have to fight Taskmaster.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NpqcyKf1t0

Tron's still got it.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
As someone who is crap at this game I just want to ask a few question. How do you discover who you're good at? Also if I'm getting horribly air comboed how the hell do I get out of it?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Lucinice posted:

As someone who is crap at this game I just want to ask a few question. How do you discover who you're good at?

You either pick the guys you want to use because they look cool and you want to use them, or you watch a couple of matches and go "hey, that doesn't look too hard, I could do that."

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Lucinice posted:

As someone who is crap at this game I just want to ask a few question. How do you discover who you're good at? Also if I'm getting horribly air comboed how the hell do I get out of it?
Play Mission Mode with each character and see which combos and moves you like. You can watch match videos/tutorials to deepen your understanding of how a character is being used too.

You can't get out of an air combo unless your opponent goes for a Team Aerial Combo (direction+S), which allows them to tag out in the air. You can counter those by doing the same direction + S as them.

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003
Is anyone playing heroes vs heralds on xbox? It seems like such a cool idea but the only time I've ever been able to play with anyone I just kept getting matched up with the same person over and over again, it felt like he was the only person playing besides me.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Nate Breakman posted:

Is anyone playing heroes vs heralds on xbox? It seems like such a cool idea but the only time I've ever been able to play with anyone I just kept getting matched up with the same person over and over again, it felt like he was the only person playing besides me.
H&H is a cool idea in theory but in reality it just turned into a Luke Cage/Sabertooth fest and everyone got sick of it and quit.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

Nate Breakman posted:

Not really. It would be fun for playing with friends where you could both run the same gimmicky deck or something, but it's nearly unplayable against strangers with no restrictions.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If anyone wants to throw down on the 360, my GT is topologic. I suck and my win rate is like 30%, so don't expect much.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

The Rokstar posted:

H&H is a cool idea in theory but in reality it just turned into a Luke Cage/Sabertooth fest and everyone got sick of it and quit.

I've still yet to play H and H, what do the Luke Cage and Sabertooth cards do?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Luke Cage gives you really good defense, Sabretooth gives you really good health regen.

iirc most people rolled Luke x2 for a defence level that quartered the damage you took. This meant that any health you lost in a combo or through chip was essentially negated because Sabretooth could replenish your health faster than any combo could break it down.

Two players playing Luke x2 + Sabretooth was essentially like enabling P2 in training mode and going at it, matches would either be draws or come down to who could land the smallest iota of chip in the last second

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 8, 2012

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

Cat Machine posted:

Luke Cage gives you really good defense, Sabretooth gives you really good health regen.

iirc most people rolled Luke x2 for a defence level that quartered the damage you took. This meant that any health you lost in a combo or through chip was essentially negated because Sabretooth could replenish your health faster than any combo could break it down.

Two players playing Luke x2 + Sabretooth was essentially like enabling P2 in training mode and going at it, matches would either be draws or come down to who could land the smallest iota of chip in the last second

Wow that seems pretty dumb.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
WRT Skrull: I run Haggar/Skrull/Task, and Orbital Grudge helps Haggar OTG pretty well while preserving ground bounce. I just wish I could find current tutorials and such on him.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

SpaceBees posted:

Sabretooth also makes you a bit faster as well. ran into someone running Hulk/Doom/Strider with the Sabretooth + Lukex2 team. he just did gamma wave and spammed Vajra assist the whole game. it was very fun.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NpqcyKf1t0

Tron's still got it.

God drat, this makes me want to pick up Tron.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

SpaceBees posted:

Yeah it's a shame because the mode had a lot of cool potential (Rocket Raccoon with unlimited invisible airdashes :allears:)

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

AXE COP posted:

Yeah it's a shame because the mode had a lot of cool potential (Rocket Raccoon with unlimited invisible airdashes :allears:)
Yeah there was so much potential in some of the cards, especially with the cancel ones and the mobility ones, but Luke Cage and Sabretooth are so good that nobody ever bothered to explore it.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

The best thing to come out of H&H was Desk's combo video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Lucinice posted:

Play, play and play some more, normally you know you are good at a character when you understand their options at neutral. Combos are significantly easier to learn then understanding neutral, like I know some characters combos in and out but can't play them worth a drat.

• Locked thread