Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

dur posted:

Jesus christ.

Jesus loving Christ. That is absolutely unbelievable. It's an A. Wyatt Mann cartoon in article form. And, like, all of the comments are...supportive? Hoooooooly poo poo.

Seriously.

The whole magazine appears to be an up-market Stormfront. Although you can probably get that from the fact that Steve Sailer is published there, without reading a single line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Jack of Hearts posted:

The whole magazine appears to be an up-market Stormfront. Although you can probably get that from the fact that Steve Sailer is published there, without reading a single line.
There are some minor ideological differences but, yeah, they're basically country club Nazis. Instead of listening to Skrewdriver, they're listening to classical music and studying ancient Greek architecture.

Other websites like it include VDARE and Alternative Right. In white supremacist/far right politics they fall under "national conservatives" or "radical traditionalists" and date back to Oswald Spengler. Derbyshire strikes me as the kind of guy who would've supported Hitler's rise to power, but would later get liquidated for being too closely tied to the ancien regime.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 7, 2012

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Aufzug Taube! posted:

Derbyshire strikes me as the kind of guy who would've supported Hitler's rise to power, but would later get liquidated for being too closely tied to the ancien regime.

I mostly remember Derbyshire from his obsession with buggery on NRO years ago, until he was eventually told by Respectable Conservative Hacks sotto voce to shut the gently caress up. I mostly see him as a cranky contrarian crank (and also shithead, obviously), less of a Nazi, more of an upper middle class Anglo-American muttering in tones of faux-gentility about the Jewish question and/or buggery.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Jack of Hearts posted:

I mostly see him as a cranky contrarian crank (and also shithead, obviously), less of a Nazi, more of an upper middle class Anglo-American muttering in tones of faux-gentility about the Jewish question and/or buggery.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_National_People%27s_Party

Or the Nazis were the Derbyshires for whom it didn't work out. The Nazis strike me as more or less a bunch of losers, poseurs and thugs who'd hang around beer halls and play dress up.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm So Bored With MLK

Jim Goad posted:

But can we at least dial down the MLK-worship a little, America? Seriously! The recently unveiled monument to him in DC is 30 feet tall, which, to be honest, is 24.5 feet taller than he was in real life. If we’ve learned anything from his murder, it’s how counterproductive it can be to martyr someone. All it does is make them grow.

I find it hard to be reverent about the Reverend. Whenever such a thick cloud of sanctimony enshrouds anyone or anything, my guts tell me to reach for the air freshener. Yes, I realize that there used to be segregated drinking fountains and that in some places, poor little black kids couldn’t even buy ice-cream cones from white vendors. But I think it’s time we all conceded that many places in Africa don’t even have drinking water, much less a single flavor of ice cream.

Is it a deal? Can we, as the eager urban youth like to say, “get real” about all this?

This is from a few months back on that same site, but I don't think I've seen it posted. This site is a fuckin' goldmine. I gotta give credit to the author of this piece for being at once unspeakably worthless and yet capable of using The Clash in his title.

e: Having read a bunch of his columns, Jim Goad is just the thing for this thread. His combination of smugness, racism, and overall worthlessness as a human being is actually so perfect that I cannot look away. It's...it's beautiful.

Tacky-Ass Rococco fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 7, 2012

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I can *kinda* see some truth in the argument that MLK looms a bit too large. I get the sense we've forgotten about other civil rights activists like A. Philip Randolph and Bayard Rustin.

But nope, Goad says MLK looms too large because black people should be grateful for our white benevolence. :bahgawd:

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010
What a coincidence, I just discovered Taki's Magazine through this article someone recently posted on another website I frequent:

"10 Hatefacts for Those Who Hate Facts" By Gavin McInnes posted:

I first encountered the word “hatefact” while drinking with someone—either “shock jock” Anthony Cumia at a grimy Midtown bar or VDARE’s erudite Peter Brimelow at the incurably snobby New York Athletic Club. These two characters are about as different as American men get, but they both ask a question a lot of Americans are asking: How did we get to the point where facts are offensive? This country started out with Thomas Jefferson saying, “There is not a truth existing which I fear…or would wish unknown to the whole world,” but today’s liberal-arts graduates have created an environment where anything that makes anyone uncomfortable is hate speech, even if it’s true—in many cases, especially if it’s true.

Here are 10 true statements that millions of Americans find offensive:

1. IT’S NOT QUITE HEALTHY TO BE A FAT PIG
Yes, some people are born with big bones and others have a disease called “burns less calories than they take in,” but anyone who’s visited China in the past 100 years can see that Americans have a disproportionate number of fat pigs. These whales complain that they are seen as human garbage, yet they treat their mouths like fast-food dumpsters. Please explain to me how that is different from putting on blackface and complaining about racism.

2. OVERPOPULATION AIN’T SO GREAT FOR THE ENVIRONMENT
When you’re a kid, you assume being Green is recycling coffee cups and putting old newspapers in a blue bin. After reading, I don’t know, one book, you realize there is nothing an infinite population can do to sustain itself. So you take a peek at who’s doing all the breeding. Turns out, in America at least, homegrown citizens are keeping their population at about zero growth, whereas immigrants are responsible for pretty much all of it—a phenomenon called “The Wedge.” When the Sierra Club was confronted with this inconvenient truth, they split into two groups. One side decided to accept this hatefact and the other decided to pretend it didn’t exist. The pretenders have done well with funding; the hatefact-mongers haven’t.

3. IT MAY BE A BIT HARDER TO SQUEEZE OUT A CHILD AS YOU GET OLDER
This is probably my favorite hatefact because if a guy who spent six years in medical school repeats what he learned, it’s hate speech. Sorry ladies, but your ovaries have a shelf life. At 30, the hourglass turns upside down and it gets progressively harder to have kids. By 35 the sand is all but gone and it’s incredibly difficult to breed. My wife had our first kid at 32 and she was wheeled through a hateful door that said “Geriatric Mothers” on it. As is always the case with feel-good propaganda, it ends up hurting the people it purports to help. I don’t know how many of my mid-30s female peers are stunned by how hard it is to procreate. Sexist facts could have drastically improved their lives, but they were hidden because the truth hurts.

4. PEOPLE WITH DIFFERENT SEXUAL PREFERENCES SOMETIMES ENJOY DIFFERENT LIFESTYLES
When Act Up!’s Larry Kramer criticizes the gay lifestyle and insists, “We are murderers, we are murdering each other,” he is seen as a crusader for justice. If the rest of us simply utter, “Jeepers, them gays sure do gently caress a lot,” we are woefully naďve. The Daily Show’s Jon Stewart scoffed at people who assumed gays live any differently than straights by pointing out he lives in New York City, where everyone is decadent. Ahem: Jon? Circuit parties go on for three days and the attendees do so much crystal meth, they are able to fornicate nonstop throughout the entire event. This seemingly infinite amount of friction their poor bums and dinks are forced to endure has consequences. Nobody’s saying anyone deserves AIDS, but it shouldn’t come as a shock to anyone who contracts the virus at one of these parties.

5. CERTAIN GROUPS MAY NOT SHINE SO BRIGHTLY ON IQ TESTS
This one feels blasphemous to even type. Who cares if blacks score worse than whites, who score worse than Asians? We’re talking about general patterns involving millions of people. I come from a long line of incredibly stupid drunks and I feel zero shame about it because I know they’re not me. We’re told the tests are culturally biased but that doesn’t explain why Asians all over the world repeatedly outscore the rest of us. I don’t care about that, either. I feel no envy for China. This data is treated like some kind of Raiders of the Lost Ark scroll that will melt your face if you look at it, but I don’t find it disturbing at all. As is made clear in the The Bell Curve, the curves have huge overlaps showing there are thousands of blacks smarter than whites and Asians, while plenty of stupid Asians are way dumber than most of us.

6. THERE’S A REMOTE CHANCE THAT INDIANS WERE NOT LIVING IN A HIPPIE COMMUNE WHEN WE GOT HERE
The accepted narrative for Native Americans is they were all playing Ring Around the Rosie until we blew germs on them and they all fell down. Though he had a helluva time getting it published, Lawrence H. Keeley’s War Before Civilization debunks that myth. The book describes common traditions such as mutilating a body AFTER it was killed to ensure the victim was doomed in the afterlife. We learn of mass graves with hundreds of scalped cadavers a good half-century before Columbus got there. Indian traditions have many wonderful traits, but let’s grow up a little and allow for the possibility they were simply incompatible with the modern world. For Christ’s sake, when we got here they hadn’t even invented the wheel. (Full disclosure: I’m allowed to consider this because the mother of my two children is a Native American.)

7. MEN END UP HAVING SEX WITH PEOPLE THEY DON’T WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH
The image of the huge black guy locked in a cell with the cowering white man is the fodder of many a bad joke, but doing the math gets unfunny really fast. The Justice Department recently came out with figures suggesting there were 216,000 victims of prison rape in 2008—that’s the number of victims rather than incidents, which are probably far higher. Even this conservative estimate puts America in the painfully uncomfortable position of being “the first country in the history of the world to count more rapes for men than for women.” You won’t see it on Jezebel anytime soon, but it appears it’s men who should be more offended when rape is trivialized.

8. SLAVERY DOESN’T DO MUCH FOR YOUR MORTGAGE IN 2012
The notion that the evil white man got rich stealing everyone else’s poo poo fits the great narrative and makes people feel better about themselves (including whites, the only group that derives pleasure from feeling bad about themselves). Here’s a hole in that argument wider than the Mason-Dixon Line: After the Civil War, the South had no wealth. The cotton money was spent. The cotton fields were burned. So even if slavery made us all plantation owners before the war—which is not the case, seeing as how a minority of Southern whites owned slaves even at slavery’s peak—we were all at a level playing field after it was done.

9. GUNS AREN’T ALL BAD
Several books have been written about this counterintuitive truth. Basically: The laxer the gun laws, the less crime. The infantilized left hears about a murder and sees it came from a gun so it says, “GUNS = BAD.” Then they pile on statistics about innocent kids playing with guns and soon we’re doing everything we can to rid the world of “the Devil’s right hand.” All this is obliterated by the countless times a criminal is deterred by the possibility of their victim being armed. We’re not only talking about the thousands of times a potential victim has brandished a weapon and said, “Not gonna happen,” but also the millions of times the perp has been forced to assume their prey may be armed. I’d hate guns too if they led to more crime, but they don’t, so I’m left to enjoy protecting my home and occasionally exploding the living poo poo out of a unopened can of cola using a .30-06.

10. FRIENDSHIPS BETWEEN MEN AND WOMEN AREN’T EQUIVALENT TO SAME-SEX FRIENDSHIPS
Nobody’s saying males and females can’t be civil with each other and thoroughly enjoy a relationship devoid of boinking, but friends? You think a married man can be best buds with a woman? OK, try this on for size, guys: “Bye honey, me and Lesley are going camping for a couple of days. We’re going to get wasted and hunt small game and build a fire and probably crash in the same tent because that’s how best pals roll. You cool with that?” Yeah, right. Bringing this up inevitably leaves one open for a barrage of examples of platonic male/female relationships. Maybe one of them even survived a camping trip. Good for you. That’s called an EXCEPTION. The “hatefact” mentality assumes anecdotal evidence erases all the evidence of a general pattern. This crippling allergy to logic isn’t merely ignorant. It discourages people from learning, and that is one of the few things I truly hate.

It's the racist, homophobic, sexist trifecta!

constantIllusion
Feb 16, 2010

Bruce Leroy posted:

:words:

Wow, it's the entire reddit thread condensed into ten points! :aaaaa:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Reddit would never refer to "bums and dinks," and would be a far funnier read if it did.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Jack of Hearts posted:

I'm So Bored With MLK

This is from a few months back on that same site, but I don't think I've seen it posted. This site is a fuckin' goldmine. I gotta give credit to the author of this piece for being at once unspeakably worthless and yet capable of using The Clash in his title.

e: Having read a bunch of his columns, Jim Goad is just the thing for this thread. His combination of smugness, racism, and overall worthlessness as a human being is actually so perfect that I cannot look away. It's...it's beautiful.

Jim Goad is human trash
http://exiledonline.com/jim-goad-begs-mark-ames-answer-me-please-jim-goads-mother-responds-in-an-exiled-exclusive/

Borneo Jimmy fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 8, 2012

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
As for Gavin Mcinnes, he's actually selling this.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Bruce Leroy posted:

To contribute, here's a recent gem from douchebag Cal Thomas:

So, you're telling me we should try to cure disease? What a brilliant idea!! I don't think anyone has ever thought of that before and we will have a revolution in medical science now that Cal has developed the idea of curing disease.

It's so simple and there should be absolutely no problems as long as these "cures" don't require any investment to develop or cost any money to implement for sick people.

Seriously, did Cal really think this was some kind of insightful or informative article to publish? Does Cal live in such a bubble with so many sycophants that no one had the balls to tell him "No poo poo, Sherlock" when he turned in this article?

What the gently caress is your problem? Every thing he said is true. We should stop focusing on tertiary care and focus on primary care. It saves money and lives.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cahal posted:

I was directed to this essay via here:

Apparently Derbyshire has been fired from the National Review for this. Even for conservatives, this turned out to be slightly beyond the pale. That's something, I guess.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

What the gently caress is your problem? Every thing he said is true. We should stop focusing on tertiary care and focus on primary care. It saves money and lives.

We need to find cures to diseases. Diseases that kill. Why isn't anyone trying to cure diseases? I mean, if we just cured Alzheimer's, Alzheimer's wouldn't be nearly so expensive! Why hasn't anyone thought of this?

This is what people like Cal Thomas say on the subject of health care when they're trying as hard as they can to avoid writing about the fact that maybe poor people deserve a little bit of health care, too.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

We need to find cures to diseases. Diseases that kill. Why isn't anyone trying to cure diseases? I mean, if we just cured Alzheimer's, Alzheimer's wouldn't be nearly so expensive! Why hasn't anyone thought of this?

This is what people like Cal Thomas say on the subject of health care when they're trying as hard as they can to avoid writing about the fact that maybe poor people deserve a little bit of health care, too.

He's literally talking about focusing on the cause of diseases over the symptoms and you're complaining?

He wants to spend less on tertiary care. Tertiary care is literally the most expensive way to treat patients. Primary care saves money for everybody involved. This man is arguing for greater funding on social programs and you're complaining because hes a conservative.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Terror Sweat posted:

He's literally talking about focusing on the cause of diseases over the symptoms and you're complaining?

He wants to spend less on tertiary care. Tertiary care is literally the most expensive way to treat patients. Primary care saves money for everybody involved. This man is arguing for greater funding on social programs and you're complaining because hes a conservative.

No, he actually argued against funding programs to prevent disease. He wants money spent on treatments that can be given after someone gets sick.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

He wants to spend less on tertiary care. Tertiary care is literally the most expensive way to treat patients. Primary care saves money for everybody involved.

Yes, that's blindingly obvious and everyone knows it. Nobody is objecting to that part. But people like Cal Thomas will never, ever talk about how we're supposed to pay for that primary care when it comes to lower-income people, and we know he's against UHC, so the unspoken conclusion is that those people aren't even worth caring about. Except when they're bleeding our emergency rooms dry. But hey, 38% of their so-called "illnesses" are their own fault anyway, right?

Some of the dumbest things in this article are the things left purposefully and perpetually unsaid by writers like this, and yours is a seriously charitable interpretation of that article which really only works if you don't know who Cal Thomas is.

Besides, if you can read this this paragraph and tell me that these are the words of a serious person worth listening to, I don't even know what to tell you:

quote:

Take Alzheimer's disease. Because of medical advances, more people are living longer, and more will likely contract this slow-progressing, eventually fatal disease. According to the Alzheimer's Association (http://www.alz.org), "Medicare and Medicaid will spend an estimated $140 billion in 2012 on people with Alzheimer's and other dementias." Worse, it says, "Caring for people with Alzheimer's disease will cost all payers — Medicare, Medicaid, individuals, private insurance and HMOs — $20 trillion (in today's dollars) over the next 40 years. The overwhelming majority of that will be spending by Medicare and Medicaid." It would cost far less if we found a cure for Alzheimer's.

DISEASES WOULD COST LESS TO TREAT IF WE CURED THEM. That is literally his argument. Cal Thomas got paid American currency to come up with that.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

My "problem" is that he's acting like it's some sort of epiphany that we should try to cure diseases.

Of course, we should cure diseases, even young children know that, but curing diseases is incredibly difficult and takes many years and huge amounts of money to accomplish. More importantly, it's not Cal's false choice between cures and current treatments, we can use what we currently have to help those people who presently have those illnesses while researchers work to find cures, which is exactly what happens every day.

The biggest issue with Cal Thomas' piece is that it's just one giant platitude without anything tangible or realistic and doesn't at all address how we go about funding medical research or how we pay for implementing cures once they have been developed. He doesn't address these issues because he knows that the answer is for the government to provide more funding for researchers and develop some kind of universal healthcare program, but these conflict with Cal's conservative economic ideology so he'd rather just play coy by pretending that somehow physicians and researchers are at fault for not developing cures. It's one step above those people who claim that doctors and Big Pharma are intentionally not developing cures because it's more profitable for them to keep people sick.

This is also why Cal doesn't emphasize one of the previous points made in the article he quotes, that prevention is incredibly important to reducing healthcare costs and improving public and individual health, as he knows prevention requires regular medical attention, including physical exams and other diagnostics, but he doesn't want any kind of socialized or government influenced/controlled healthcare system that would actually provide this kind of coverage.

Terror Sweat posted:

No, we're "complaining" because he's acting like doctors and researchers don't want to cure disease and that they want to focus on tertiary care or somehow just haven't thought about curing disease. Do you honestly think that they don't want cures for diseases?

Of course doctors want to cure disease, but it's not exactly a swift process to cure disease so they are primarily stuck with tertiary care and prevention, along with the few cures that are available. If anything it's the fault of conservative assholes like Cal Thomas, Senator Tom Coburn, etc. who are specifically fighting against government funding of scientific research and constantly looking for ways to arbitrarily defund the government so they can cut taxes and give away corporate handouts.

Also, patients are at fault because they are resistant to the prevention aspect of healthcare because it would mean serious changes to their daily lives, like regular exercise, watching what they eat, not drinking alcohol or ingesting tobacco products, etc. Seriously, have you seen the obesity rates for Americans? Think of all the expensive diseases that would prevented (diabetes, various kinds of heart disease, stroke, hypertension, kidney failure, osteoarthritis, gout, gall bladder diseases, etc.) if they'd stop shoveling food in their faces and get some exercise.

If you think Cal's article is intelligent or insightful, then you don't know poo poo about scientific research and medicine.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The article I'm linking to isn't the terrible article in question, but rather a response to the terrible article in question, because really, sometimes that's the only way to digest such terrible articles:

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/david-brooks-other-obama-7890505

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

DISEASES WOULD COST LESS TO TREAT IF WE CURED THEM. That is literally his argument. Cal Thomas got paid American currency to come up with that.

Sounds about right.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Diseases would cost less to treat if we prevented them before they happened. :ssh:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Armyman25 posted:

This was on my Facebook this morning.

:godwin: :suicide:

1. Right, because when people think of Hitler, the first thing that comes to mind is UHC.
2. Even if they did, Hitler didn't come up with UHC, Germany had it since the days of Bismarck, iirc.
3. Furthermore, I wonder if this person realizes that German STILL has UHC! :psyduck:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Mr Interweb posted:

1. Right, because when people think of Hitler, the first thing that comes to mind is UHC.
2. Even if they did, Hitler didn't come up with UHC, Germany had it since the days of Bismarck, iirc.
3. Furthermore, I wonder if this person realizes that German STILL has UHC! :psyduck:

4. The sterilizations and euthanasia were part of Hitler's plan to create a master race, not a cost-saving measure. Suggesting that it was is loving Holocaust revisionism. During the leadup to Obamacare, the entire Republican party was engaged in motherfucking Holocaust revisionism!

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

4. The sterilizations and euthanasia were part of Hitler's plan to create a master race, not a cost-saving measure. Suggesting that it was is loving Holocaust revisionism. During the leadup to Obamacare, the entire Republican party was engaged in motherfucking Holocaust revisionism!

That's really not surprising. There is a large portion of the evangelical community that only supports Israel because it's required for their crazy-rear end eschatology.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Diseases would cost less to treat if we prevented them before they happened. :ssh:

But that would require Americans to make lifestyle changes, like exercising more and eating better, instead of just popping a pill.

I'm sick of seeing weight-loss commercials on TV that literally say, "...and you don't have to change your lifestyle!!" Do these people not understand that it's their lifestyle that's making them fat and potentially killing them, i.e. just because you are skinny doesn't mean you are necessarily healthy (high cholesterol, hypertension, etc.).

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
Cal Thomas would also want the cures to those diseases to be patented.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Mr Interweb posted:

Bismarck actually implemented many social safety nets and such specifically because he figured it was better to give the poor something to lose than be faced with a large mass of people with nothing to lose and everything to gain who just might decide that the country wasn't working out very well for them and if nobody was going to give them the means to survival they were going to take it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Orange Devil posted:

Bismarck actually implemented many social safety nets and such specifically because he figured it was better to give the poor something to lose than be faced with a large mass of people with nothing to lose and everything to gain who just might decide that the country wasn't working out very well for them and if nobody was going to give them the means to survival they were going to take it.

Wow, that's fairly nice in an incredibly evil way... How do you manage to pervert CHARITY of all things?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

Wow, that's fairly nice in an incredibly evil way... How do you manage to pervert CHARITY of all things?

"Don't you understand, charity just makes people lazy. If they aren't in danger of starving they won't want to work."

-Actual argument.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Charity is inherently, perhaps not evil, but certainly an affront to the dignity of humanity and also a way to cover up societies ugly truths. See this RSA Animate video featuring Zizek for a good explanation.

That said, I wouldn't call a state program guaranteeing a certain quality of life charity.

Anyway, Bismarck founded the very foundation of the welfare state, and indeed every welfare state is based upon the model he introduced, specifically to undermine the appeal of the socialists/communists (pretty much synonyms at the time). That's why it's a little funny when ignorant Americans claim European welfare states are socialism.

Edit:
Also, the welfare state helped European industry compete with America by giving European workers a reason not to immigrate, the US ofcourse not having a welfare state, one could take his chances in America, or stay relatively secure in Europe. The reason the US didn't have one and hasn't had a welfare state in anyway comparable to the European ones up until today is because in the US there was a labour shortage and a frontier, so American workers had a lot of leverage against their bosses. Quitting and just getting a different job or simply quitting and starting your own farm in some newly claimed territory were options open to American workers that would really hurt the bosses, as workers weren't nearly as easy to replace as in Europe. This all worked very well until the late 70s, early 80s, when the labour shortage turned into a labour surplus, partially due to demographic reasons, partially due to women entering the workplace, at which point the US middle class and the American Dream it represented started to seriously go to poo poo. Ofcourse, now that everywhere else is poo poo too, European industries don't need that welfare state anymore to keep their labour from packing their bags and leaving, and thus since the late 70s, early 80s, we've suddenly lost our ability to afford said welfare state, and thus it too, has been rapidly going to poo poo.

This also explains why older people in the US have trouble really understanding the situation of younger people today. "Just get a job" held true for many generations in the US, and only recently has become an absurd thing to say to an angry unemployed person.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 8, 2012

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Orange Devil posted:

Charity is inherently, perhaps not evil, but certainly an affront to the dignity of humanity and also a way to cover up societies ugly truths. See this RSA Animate video featuring Zizek for a good explanation.
...is he criticizing ethical purchasing decisions? Like, he gives the example of Starbucks advertising that it buys fair trade beans, and says that this is "cultural capitalism at its purest," that you "buy your redemption from being only a consumerist."

And then he goes on to quote Oscar Wilde, and talks about handing out bread to people, short-term cures. But how on earth does fair trade constitute an example of this?

There's also a certain hypocrisy I've always seen in the broader line of criticism (that charity only sustains the present state of affairs), which is that cutting off charity in the hopes of provoking some utopian rebellion would unquestionably result in great short-term suffering and has no guarantee of actually producing a situation any better than the one we started out with.

"It is immoral to use private property in order to alleviate the horrible evils that result from the institution of private property." When this is applied simply to the act of charitable giving, then while I disagree with it, I can more or less see the argument. When it's applied to the act of purchasing ethically-made goods, it's nonsense.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 8, 2012

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I think you're trying to make a distinction there which just doesn't exist in real life. Whether you just donate to charity or buy ethically the processes are identical, there's no end game to buying ethically which would ever free you from having to buy ethically (edit: obviously ethical purchasing is a good thing, but with things like Fairtrade it's just viewed as a quirk of marketing under capitalism rather than the universal state of production) just as charity donations will lessen suffering but won't stop the thing creating the need for charity. You're signing up to a piecemeal, fragmented way of helping some of the people suffering which you are free to stop doing at any time whenever money gets tight or you just don't feel like it.

Is this better than nothing? Yes.

Is it really good enough? No, not really. It's the evil of two lessers at best.

If you approach things like Fairtrade as 'I'm doing what I can; I buy Fairtrade.' then you are still very much part of the problem and having that option of buying your redemption is actually a very bad thing to fall into because it allows you to consider yourself as helping out but in a way which doesn't solve the problem.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

...is he criticizing ethical purchasing decisions? Like, he gives the example of Starbucks advertising that it buys fair trade beans, and says that this is "cultural capitalism at its purest," that you "buy your redemption from being only a consumerist."

And then he goes on to quote Oscar Wilde, and talks about handing out bread to people, short-term cures. But how on earth does fair trade constitute an example of this?

Fair trade is still based on the capitalist model of exploitation of labour. If you feel the RSA Animate video doesn't go in depth enough, you can watch the full lecture the RSA Animate video is based off here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvakA-DF6Hc

Or read the book: http://www.amazon.com/First-As-Tragedy-Then-Farce/dp/1844674282

quote:

There's also a certain hypocrisy I've always seen in the broader line of criticism (that charity only sustains the present state of affairs), which is that cutting off charity in the hopes of provoking some utopian rebellion would unquestionably result in great short-term suffering and has no guarantee of actually producing a situation any better than the one we started out with.

This is why to my knowledge nobody advocates cutting off charity in order to provoke rebellion, let alone any kind of utopia. Zizek is explicitly not utopian, by the way.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Orange Devil posted:

Fair trade is still based on the capitalist model of exploitation of labour.
This does not establish that it is bad, for anyone who does not subscribe to marxist views of labor.

Conversely, the positive effects are obvious.

quote:

This is why to my knowledge nobody advocates cutting off charity in order to provoke rebellion, let alone any kind of utopia. Zizek is explicitly not utopian, by the way.
Saying that charity is inherently immoral certainly seems to contain the implication that it should be stopped.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Strudel Man posted:

This does not establish that it is bad, for anyone who does not subscribe to marxist views of labor.

Fair enough, it's a capitalist solution to a failure of capitalism. You can believe that this is a real solution while staying in capitalist production that will work but you need to address a number of questions such as A) why was it needed in the first place? B) why is it not universally and unilaterally rolled out? C) why did it need an international organisation to turn it into a marketing angle rather than a natural process of freedom and liberation by the producers themselves? D) does it actually provide enough for those producers? E) is it a guaranteed success and what happens if the business model goes bust and what does that say for morality and ethics?

quote:

Saying that charity is inherently immoral certainly seems to contain the implication that it should be stopped.

You can believe something is a positive factor in society without believing it's a real solution. Progressive taxation doesn't solve the problems of wealth inequality but it's still a drat good idea in the meantime.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

namesake posted:

If you approach things like Fairtrade as 'I'm doing what I can; I buy Fairtrade.' then you are still very much part of the problem and having that option of buying your redemption is actually a very bad thing to fall into because it allows you to consider yourself as helping out but in a way which doesn't solve the problem.
If you think if fairtrade as 'buying your redemption,' then you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what the point is. It is not the purchase of a karmic indulgence; it is literally meant to be paying a fair price for what you buy.

There is also something of a reverse tragedy of the commons here. My own refusal to give to charity or to purchase items at a fair price is not the event that will spark The Revolution That Ends Privation Forever. Nor will it affect other people's giving. If I stop giving to charity, all that changes are the particular circumstances of the people who were helped. How, then, are the things in which I am interested (human welfare) in any way improved by my refusal to give to charity?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

namesake posted:

... a real solution ... universally and unilaterally ... guaranteed success ...
Here again is this utopian angle. You want a guaranteed, universal, permanent solution to poverty and suffering. That's noble - I'd like to have the same. But there is no actual mechanism for this to be achieved, so you pin your hopes on The Revolution, and attack anything that actually makes things better for actual people on the basis that it forestalls The Revolution.

It's a classic case of the perfect being the enemy of the good.

namesake posted:

You can believe something is a positive factor in society without believing it's a real solution. Progressive taxation doesn't solve the problems of wealth inequality but it's still a drat good idea in the meantime.
You can indeed. And if you believe that something is a positive factor in society, you probably wouldn't call it inherently immoral.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 8, 2012

zero alpha
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
He's just saying that lifestyle changes by Upper Class first-worlders is woefully inadequate. Yeah it's good, but don't treat it like a substitute for real political and economic change, or think that just paying what some Starbucks exec tells you is a "fair price" fixes deep systemic problems.

Unless he's actually an accelerationist, in which case screw him.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Strudel Man posted:

There is also something of a reverse tragedy of the commons here. My own refusal to give to charity or to purchase items at a fair price is not the event that will spark The Revolution That Ends Privation Forever. Nor will it affect other people's giving. If I stop giving to charity, all that changes are the particular circumstances of the people who were helped. How, then, are the things in which I am interested (human welfare) in any way improved by my refusal to give to charity?

No one is asking you to actually stop doing these things though, only to think bigger than the temporary buoying of commodity values to a few select communities.

quote:

If you think if fairtrade as 'buying your redemption,' then you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what the point is. It is not the purchase of a karmic indulgence; it is literally meant to be paying a fair price for what you buy.

Yes this is back to 'I'm doing what I can; I buy Fairtrade.'. Why aren't you questioning why it's even a choice for you NOT to pay a fair value for something? Could it be a systemic problem with our system of production?

quote:

You can indeed. And if you believe that something is a positive factor in society, you probably wouldn't call it inherently immoral.

I'm not seeing where the inherent part comes into it. However if you believe that a radical re-alignment is needed to fix a desperate problem, halfarsing it with some minor reforms and then stopping is pretty immoral yeah.

namesake fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 8, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Paying a fair price: Good, relative to your other currently available options.
Thinking it's a real solution to poverty and exploitation: Bad

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

namesake posted:

No one is asking you to actually stop doing these things though, only to think bigger than the temporary buoying of commodity values to a few select communities.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Paying a fair price: Good, relative to your other currently available options.

zero alpha posted:

He's just saying that lifestyle changes by Upper Class first-worlders is woefully inadequate. Yeah it's good,
Except that he says it's immoral. Which implies that it's not good (and should not be done).

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

namesake posted:

Yes this is back to 'I'm doing what I can; I buy Fairtrade.'. Why aren't you questioning why it's even a choice for you NOT to pay a fair value for something? Could it be a systemic problem with our system of production?
It could be, sure. And I would be in favor of better international trade controls to make it less an option and more of a standard state of affairs. However, I control only my own actions, not those of governments or multinationals or societies.

Furthermore, I am going to be very skeptical of anyone whose solution is "destroy the current state of affairs entirely and implement my new system which will totally be better," for reasons that should be obvious.

quote:

I'm not seeing where the inherent part comes into it. However if you believe that a radical re-alignment is needed to fix a desperate problem, halfarsing it with some minor reforms and then stopping is pretty immoral yeah.
But again, you're confusing the individual with the collective. I cannot create a radical realignment, even disregarding all the suffering that such a realignment would create in pursuit of a goal that might not even be realized. All I can do is help others on a small, limited scale, or not.

• Locked thread