Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pamchenko
Apr 16, 2011
Trying to write my Employee Statement for my AEF (AID's version of the EER). I swear this thing is an instrument of torture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Anyone know where I'd look to find regulations on getting reimbursed for having to stay in a hotel because the city is out of water and our tank/pump is broken (meaning nothing water related in the house works: sinks, toilets, distiller, laundry, etc.)?

I looked through the FAM/FAH, closest thing I found was 15 FAM (various chapters, mostly 630) but none of that expressly outlines rights of the employee/resident and more importantly remedies.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Diplomaticus posted:

Anyone know where I'd look to find regulations on getting reimbursed for having to stay in a hotel because the city is out of water and our tank/pump is broken (meaning nothing water related in the house works: sinks, toilets, distiller, laundry, etc.)?

I looked through the FAM/FAH, closest thing I found was 15 FAM (various chapters, mostly 630) but none of that expressly outlines rights of the employee/resident and more importantly remedies.

6 FAM 100? Was the the one about "Undue Hardship"??

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
Usually you just call the mgmt officer and say "hey house is unlivable, I need to stay in a hotel" and they take care of it.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Vilerat posted:

Usually you just call the mgmt officer and say "hey house is unlivable, I need to stay in a hotel" and they take care of it.

Seriously, don't do this yourself. That's what the management section is for.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

pamchenko posted:

Trying to write my Employee Statement for my AEF (AID's version of the EER). I swear this thing is an instrument of torture.

One of my favorite FS parlor games is to try to establish just how far you could exaggerate on an EER before someone would call you on it.

Consensus is that you could go pretty far. . . .

pamchenko
Apr 16, 2011

Business of Ferrets posted:

One of my favorite FS parlor games is to try to establish just how far you could exaggerate on an EER before someone would call you on it.

Consensus is that you could go pretty far. . . .

I'm thinking about just writing, "I fixed Ukraine" and leaving it at that.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

pamchenko posted:

I'm thinking about just writing, "I fixed Ukraine" and leaving it at that.

I poo poo you not I heard "superstar" actually used in an EER and that EER was promoted to 2 (which in our field is the huge bottleneck).

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Yup, until then, if/when you get water back, fill up a bathtub or a large sink with water. Then you can use that to force flush (or fill the reservoir).

The two posts I've been too don't consider hot water a life necessity meaning, they'd fix it, but just not right away that night/weekend. No water pressure however starts getting into a sanitary issue. The Posts I've been at specifically mention is an emergency and will send crews to fix it or temporarily move you into another residence if the crews can't fix your water problem.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Thanks. We got an emergency delivery over the weekend, but can't figure out how 2000 liters drained in about 12 hours in which we didn't shower, do laundry, or much of anything. No leaks that we can find. I'll bring it up with management tomorrow.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
How well written does this drat statement of interest for the FSOA have to be?

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Tyro posted:

How well written does this drat statement of interest for the FSOA have to be?

Well, you don't need to be Mr. Fancyman or anything. However, if you can't string two words together without a typo I imagine that wouldn't work in your favor. Think like a mini college admissions essay.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Hey, Diplomaticus! finally made it (got my offer in). Man, has it really been that long? I remember we both took it back in like, late '09 or early '10... The offer was higher than I expected, but wasn't a driving force. :toot:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Skandiaavity posted:

Hey, Diplomaticus! finally made it (got my offer in). Man, has it really been that long? I remember we both took it back in like, late '09 or early '10... The offer was higher than I expected, but wasn't a driving force. :toot:

Grats! Yeah, it really has been that long. '09 for me.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Has anyone that applied to the IMS position that closed in March get an invitation to OAs yet?

Miscreant Fromage
May 2, 2003

The OMS position is closed. Edit: Just checked on my application status, it says "Eligible – Referred to Next Step in Selection Process" I assume that means I just passed the basic screening questions and they still have to review my PNQs?

Miscreant Fromage fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 4, 2012

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

AgentSythe posted:

Has anyone that applied to the IMS position that closed in March get an invitation to OAs yet?

It'll be a while. I think I waited three or four months after the opening closed.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
EER season was more fun before having to write the drat things.

(haha it was never fun)

mute
Jul 17, 2004

AKA Pseudonym posted:

It'll be a while. I think I waited three or four months after the opening closed.

From posting close to OA was right at 4 months for me. Then one more on top of that because I had to reschedule.

In general, nothing about the process was fast.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Diplomaticus posted:

What a week. Paypal got hacked to the tune of 1200+ dollars (not including fees/charges). Car broke down. Major VIP in town, which of course I got tasked on. Sheesh.

Best way to get out of working a SecState visit: find out that she's arriving 5 hours after your wedding. Turns out you get out of all control officer and site officer responsibilities!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Yeah, Jesus Christ. If your Mgt people can't even get that right, then hell, they're worse than ours, and I life a drink to your name.

When I was in Riyadh if your air conditioner went out you had 24/7 support to get it back up and running. You'd think water would be in the same category...

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

the_chavi posted:

Yeah, Jesus Christ. If your Mgt people can't even get that right, then hell, they're worse than ours, and I life a drink to your name.

When I was in Riyadh if your air conditioner went out you had 24/7 support to get it back up and running. You'd think water would be in the same category...

Dude, when were you in Riyadh? I had a buddy who was the GSO there and he had those guys on speed dial.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

EDIT: Double. Post.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Diplomaticus posted:

And the water just died again. RIGHT after I flushed, thankfully.

Memories. Always had a water bucket just in case...

Doing lawyer-y things in NYC right now, but thinking of getting back on this horse in Oct. Just need to get someone to look over my written essays if/when I pass the the written test. Looking forward to that.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Water is fixed and I got major repairs done on my car. Yay.

If all goes well, next weekend going to be taking a vacation!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Diplomaticus posted:

Water is fixed and I got major repairs done on my car. Yay.

If all goes well, next weekend going to be taking a vacation!

Nice!! Good luck - where will you be going?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

the_chavi posted:

Nice!! Good luck - where will you be going?

Probably Zanzibar. Not entirely sure yet.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Diplomaticus posted:

Probably Zanzibar. Not entirely sure yet.

I've heard great things about scuba diving in Djibuti. And it's like a thousand times cheaper.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Counterpoint: you're in Djibouti.

Also, relevant. Can't stop reading!

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.
Coming back to Post after a medevac is the best feeling in the world. Finding your car completely dead in your garage with no way of getting in due to a lock malfunction kind of dampens that.

On the bright side, at least this will give my now-rusty Italian some practice with a locksmith who will charge me an arm and a leg.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zoots posted:

Coming back to Post after a medevac is the best feeling in the world. Finding your car completely dead in your garage with no way of getting in due to a lock malfunction kind of dampens that.

On the bright side, at least this will give my now-rusty Italian some practice with a locksmith who will charge me an arm and a leg.

No way, BP - you're a Goon?! Sup fellow Riyadh refugee...

the_chavi fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 8, 2012

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

the_chavi posted:

Sup fellow Riyadh refugee...

"Riyadh Refugee." I like it. I've also heard "Saudi Survivors and Sycophants."

I just tried to PM you, but looks like you don't have plat. Who is this? Send me a email!

Zoots fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 8, 2012

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
What's it like being an FSO in Saudi Arabia? When I studied in Austria one of my best friends was a Saudi Arabian guy who was in my German class, he was a really cool guy just really a great representative for his country. (Part of this may have had to do with the fact that both of our religions hate the papacy [I'm Lutheran :v: ])

Of course I know not all Saudi citizens are the same, but I just think it would be a very interesting change of pace to go from the rolling cornfields of the Midwest where I grew up to the sands of the middle of Arabia. I'm also interested in Islam and Semitic languages. Saudi Arabia isn't considered a "hardship" post, is it? I mean, I heard even McDonald's has a delivery service over there. :stare:

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

What's it like being an FSO in Saudi Arabia? When I studied in Austria one of my best friends was a Saudi Arabian guy who was in my German class, he was a really cool guy just really a great representative for his country. (Part of this may have had to do with the fact that both of our religions hate the papacy [I'm Lutheran :v: ])

Of course I know not all Saudi citizens are the same, but I just think it would be a very interesting change of pace to go from the rolling cornfields of the Midwest where I grew up to the sands of the middle of Arabia. I'm also interested in Islam and Semitic languages. Saudi Arabia isn't considered a "hardship" post, is it? I mean, I heard even McDonald's has a delivery service over there. :stare:

Zoots can chime in with his own impressions... we both worked very different jobs while we were there, which colors your perceptions. My job (consular section) required me to be in the office 70-80 hours a week, doing a lot of interviews and a lot more paperwork. I didn't get out to mix it up with regular Saudis all that often, so my impressions are highly informed by what people think visa officers want to hear.

Outside of the office life, Riyadh's tough. I did short stints in the two constituent posts, Dhahran and Jeddah, which showed me very different sides of the country. For me, a year in Riyadh was the hardest time in my life. I arrived when we were still an unaccompanied post (after an al Qaeda group overran our Jeddah compound a few years before and executed several staff members), and two weeks after my arrival our embassy in Sanaa was bombed, which put us on lockdown for six weeks. Once we were granted limited personal travel, we still had to take armored-up motor pool transportation everywhere, which meant that everyone knew everywhere you went and with whom you went. Later in my tour, I dated a man who did not have diplomatic immunity, so we had to leave the country to go out to dinner together. Also, that delivery McDonald's you mentioned? Doesn't matter much if the Saudi military officials guarding your compound won't let them in. =/ I learned a lot about myself while I was there, and at the end of the day I'm glad I went. I'd still rather bludgeon myself to death with a tire iron than go back.

There are tons of places to learn about Islam and Arabic/Semitic languages. You don't have to go to Saudi to learn those - indeed, I'd actually recommend you choose that place last out of all Arabic-speaking countries to learn...

Edited to add: tl;dr - Yes, Saudi's a hardship post. It's not as hard as it was when I was there, allegedly, but I'd still rather not go back!

Miscreant Fromage
May 2, 2003

the_chavi posted:

Saudi stuff

I wondered how rough it would be being stationed somewhere like that as a woman. I find this stuff pretty interesting, I'd love to hear more experiences and post reports from different places and different goons. It's interesting to hear all the different perspectives and personal experiences at various posts.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Miscreant Fromage posted:

I wondered how rough it would be being stationed somewhere like that as a woman. I find this stuff pretty interesting, I'd love to hear more experiences and post reports from different places and different goons. It's interesting to hear all the different perspectives and personal experiences at various posts.

There is a good collection here. Free membership required, but very much worth it.

Warning: the message boards there are horrible.

Miscreant Fromage
May 2, 2003

There is a good collection here. Free membership required, but very much worth it.

Warning: the message boards there are horrible.

Yeah I've been combing through those over the past couple months, haven't yet ventured onto the message boards though. It's helpful but the post reports are kinda impersonal.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Miscreant Fromage posted:

My mother lived there for a while as an expatriate. I could ask her about it if you want.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Shageletic posted:

My mother lived there for a while as an expatriate. I could ask her about it if you want.

As a note, traveling to a country, living in a country and living as a diplomat in a country can provide very different experiences. Sometimes as us overseas, we are limited to what we can do outside the Embassy, both professionally and personally for a variety of reasons which otherwise wouldn't apply to normal expats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

TCD posted:

As a note, traveling to a country, living in a country and living as a diplomat in a country can provide very different experiences. Sometimes as us overseas, we are limited to what we can do outside the Embassy, both professionally and personally for a variety of reasons which otherwise wouldn't apply to normal expats.

Hear, hear. I'll drink to that.