Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Cannot wait for Garbala post.

My rationale for having that much ammo was pretty much so you didn't have to be thrifty with the ammo. Ideally, the gauss rifles will be firing every turn. The amount of MRM ammo is probably a little optimistic, but I do love me some symmetry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Quornes posted:

5 minutes after sending in my design I realized it's not very good at all. You can just count it out.

Not to drive votes to your 'mech, but I wouldn't say it was bad. It is quirky and that counts for something, right? Also, I have a soft spot for ballistics, even if the ammo is just going to get you killed.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I have absolutely no idea what any of the numbers mean in a practical sense. So I'm voting on weapons and descriptions.

DS24- Gunslinger by the Ungoon Talon. I enjoyed his text.
DS7 - Mackie by Knoxzone. HV AC/10 and Heavy PPC? I'm in!
CC15- Pepperpot because not-Urbie! :kimchi:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
The Baba Yaga is such a good name. But I've learned from earlier votes not to vote early.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Remember people, the Liquidator, designation CC17 is a Draconis Suns 'mech! What's more, it's a giant Enforcer that has both the Heavy PPC and the HVAC! How can you go wrong?

Vote CC17 today! As your DS 'mech!

Hell, it's the Justin Xiang of 'mechs...it looks Capellan but bleeds Suns red!

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
DS10 Sunfire
DS24 Gunslinger
CC3 Po

CC15 Pepperpot is also great.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

All votes are random

DS9
DS21
CC15

That said

:argh: Don't judge my head ammo choice, sometimes mech designers are dumb.

The lasers,I see you saw what I planned there huh? Well its not a pair of medium lasers at least.

Patchouli
Mar 30, 2011
DS7 because there's something about the idea of new technology being mounted on the oldest chassis that I find amusing.

CC23 for the image of a hopping zombie mech.

And DS29 because I like it the most out of the quads.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Haha, sorry about the leg and head ammo, I just have old min-maxy habits tucked away in behind my love of absolutely weird crap. That stuff I'd wager is easy enough to retcon though.

Also I couldn't help but pick the standard ammo, it fit my sense of symmetry. :v:

As far as votes go...

DS8 Battlemaster
DS27 Yasai-Batsu Yabai-Yatsu

and

CC10 Red River

Because of the sketches I've got lined up, finished or otherwise, I think they're the prettiest of the lot. I also can't vote for my own designs in good conscience, but I'm perfectly willing to vote for designs I've been asked to help out.

EDIT: Hitting a bit of a brick wall on the Yorinaga since a good Warhammer that isn't a Macross Tomahawk is surprisingly difficult to think up. Gonna fast-track the Liquidator and dis astranagant's Battlemaster since their base sketches are done and I can finish those up before Easter's done--not really looking forward to the Easter Brunch shift and I hope a busy day at my day job won't kick my rear end too much. Yabai-Yatsu will probably be sent sometime before sunrise. Also, I really like how the Liquidator turned out but when it came to toss the coin I had to side with the Battlemaster since, well, I really really like Battlemasters.

Runa fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 8, 2012

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
Odd, I don't see any of my entries in there. I was fairly certain I sent them to you via gmail. Did I mess up the format or something?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Hey Xarbala is there any chance of my stalker getting a drawing? I'd like to see it before the votes make it :frogout:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Wind Tempest posted:

Odd, I don't see any of my entries in there. I was fairly certain I sent them to you via gmail. Did I mess up the format or something?

There was one I passed on because it wasn't plain text; and I might have missed a couple if they didn't have Mech somewhere in the title (you have no idea how full my gmail inbox is--it's hard to sift through, so if I couldn't find them immediately I'm afraid they probably got lost to the archives).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Draconis Suns vote:

While I love Picard Day's Tadakatsu for rear-mounted weaponry and bar none the best name of the DS-prototypes, and KnoxZone's Mackie for rear-mounted armament and sweet fluff and using both experimental techs and also, y'know, being a loving Mackie (nice form, sir!), I gotta go with DS11, Leperflesh's Wildebeest. Great fluff, and I am a huge fan of kinda-crunchy cheap-rear end artillery pieces.

Capellan Confederation vote:

I adore Hob Gadling's Illuminati and I hope it gets consideration for showing up at some point regardless of the vote results strictly as an example of how messed up House Liao is. House Liao: "Yeah, we do what we drat well want, eat it." Vlad Antlerkov's Pillager rocks the house too (holy poo poo, indeed!). I would have voted for T.G.Xarbala's Bloodbeak if not for that head-mounted ammo (which I, too, hate) on style points alone. In the end I almost went with CC3, Picard Day's Po. Dedicated Ambush Mechs really fit my conception of the Cappies.

But nope. It's gonna be CC15, AJ_Impy's Pepperpot, because holy poo poo who couldn't love that thing. It's adorable! Like a little missile turret that moves around slowly! I want to give it hugs! How could anyone not love the Pepperpot? Even Pepper Potts loves the Pepperpot. Field a hundred of them with a couple of Ravens as spotters and hot drat it's a party. Missile volleys like fuckin' Macross up in here.

Honorable mention/vote number 3 'cause holy poo poo we get a third vote:

DS29, Plek's Oni, as mammoth zombie unkillable quadmechs are bad-fuckin'-rear end. I always loved quad 'Mechs. For virtually no reason; I just like 'em.

(edit: Seriously if you don't vote for the Pepperpot you hate fun :colbert:)

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 8, 2012

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
DS3) Lion
DS4) Victor
CC6) Illuminati

The two DS designs are very nice and solid. And the CC one is just hilarious.

On a sidenote, this is what the Kensai Kami could eventually turn into:

code:
               BattleMech Technical Readout
                     Custom* Weapons

Type/Model:    Kensai Kami 
Tech:          Inner Sphere / 3025
Config:        Biped BattleMech
Rules:         Level 3, Standard design

Mass:          60 tons
Chassis:       Standard
Power Plant:   300 Vlar XL Fusion
Walking Speed: 54,0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86,4 [97,2] km/h
Jump Jets:     4 Standard Jump Jets
Jump Capacity: 120 meters
Armor Type:    Standard
Armament:      
  1 Heavy PPC*
  3 ER Medium Lasers
  1 SRM 6 
Manufacturer:  (Unknown)
Communications System:  (Unknown)
Targeting & Tracking System:  (Unknown)

--------------------------------------------------------
Type/Model:    Kensai Kami 
Mass:          60 tons

Equipment:                                 Crits    Mass
Int. Struct.:  99 pts Standard               0      6,00
Engine:        300 XL                       12      9,50
   Walking MP:   5 [6]
   Running MP:   8 [9]
   Jumping MP:   4
Heat Sinks:     10 Double [20]               0       ,00
Gyro:                                        4      3,00
Cockpit, Life Supt., Sensors:                5      3,00
Triple Strength Myomer:                      6       ,00
Actuators: L: Sh+UA+LA+H    R: Sh+UA+LA+H   16       ,00
Armor Factor:  201 pts Standard              0     13,00

Internal    Armor
                          Structure   Value
   Head:                      3          9      
   Center Torso:             20         30      
   Center Torso (Rear):                 10      
   L/R Side Torso:           14      21/21      
   L/R Side Torso (Rear):              7/7      
   L/R Arm:                  10      20/20      
   L/R Leg:                  14      28/28      

Weapons and Equipment    Loc  Heat  Ammo   Crits    Mass
1 Heavy PPC*             RA     15           4     10,00
1 ER Medium Laser        RT      5           1      1,00
1 ER Medium Laser        LT      5           1      1,00
1 SRM 6                  CT      4   30      4      5,00
  (Ammo Locations: 2 RT)
1 ER Medium Laser        HD      5           1      1,00
CASE Equipment:          RT                  1       ,50
1 Sword                  LH                  4      3,00
4 Standard Jump Jets:                        4      4,00
 (Jump Jet Loc: 2 LL, 2 RL)
TOTALS:                         34          63     60,00
Crits & Tons Left:                          15       ,00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost:        13.135.360 C-Bills
Battle Value:      1.433
Cost per BV:       9.166,34
Weapon Value:      1.619 / 1.619 (Ratio = 1,13 / 1,13)
Damage Factors:    SRDmg = 19;  MRDmg = 10;  LRDmg = 4
BattleForce2:      MP: 5,  Armor/Structure: 5/2
                   Damage PB/M/L: 3/2/1,  Overheat: 2
                   Class: MH;  Point Value: 14
5/8[9]/4 movement with tripple strenght myomer, a sword and max armor. It's basically all a stuck-up former Kurita samurai could ever wish for.

Magni fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 8, 2012

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
DS9) Caliburn - because of the arthurian mythos reference <3
DS14) Jagermech - because Jaggermeh, seriously
CC6) Illuminati - the madness related backstory is just too funny to pass

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
T.G. Xarbala was kind enough to make a pretty image for the Illuminati. PTN, do you prefer we post our images now or after voting is over?

e: Votes! DS7, CC3

Both look interesting to play and have decent fluff. Honorable mention to Pepperpot, which must make an appearance somewhere.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 8, 2012

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm sure as heck not going to post anything until voting's done. For various reasons.

EDIT Again:

But seriously vote for my lovely 'Mechs! I actually drew the head and leg ammo bins. The leg bins look like holsters, the head bin looks like a turkey jowl that could not possibly hold all the missiles that go into the launcher no seriously it's impossible. :pseudo:

Runa fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 8, 2012

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I have no idea if any of these Mechs are good or anything like that since I don't have much frame of reference. Not gonna vote because of that, but I guess watching how this contest turns out will be interesting. Then we can get on with that Political Vote. The name Operation Backstab is really piquing my interest.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
DS2) Tadakatsu by Picard Day
DS15) Shadow Hawk by T.G. Xarbala
CC13) Raven by T.G. Xarbala

T.G Xarbala's DS entry had some amazing fluff (edit: Had to go back and look at that design again. My initial impression was a bit off). His Capellan design is just flat out hilarious and at the same time almost reasonable.

Picard Day's entry just seemed to have a nice amount of kill in my opinion. Not too much, not too little.

cafel fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 8, 2012

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
DS18 by Magni This, amazingly enough, is nearly identical in name and form to the idea I never sent in for judging.
DS19 by Magni

CS2 by Rorac

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

DS8) Battlemaster by dis astranagant
DS22) Battlemaster by landcollector
CC4) Battlemaster by The Merry Marauder

Which BattleMasters? ALL OF THEM.

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

DS7 Mackie by KnoxZone
CC1 Baba-Yaga by Felime
CC15 Pepperpot by AJ_Impy

That Mackie is just adorable. No other way to say it. All that armor and punch, and actually given its speed a case could be made for the rear-mounted lasers being a smart move. The only problem I have with it is that price tag :stare:

I was tempted to vote for the Oni instead, but after some deliberation the Mackie won me over in the end. The rear-mounted lasers sealed the deal.

I can't really be asked to decide between my irrational love for the beast that is the Baba-Yaga and the simplicity of design that is the Pepperpot. I would be perfectly happy seeing either of them hit the field. I would also be perfectly happy piloting either of them.

Brandy Collins fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 8, 2012

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

DS14 Jagermech
DS15 Shadow Hawk
CC15 Pepperpot

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

That's a huge amount of mechs I don't think I could ever trawl through, so I'll let you guys field this one. Neat little ending to the game, thanks to all who did their best :)

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I would like to point out that my Capellan submission (CC19, Hound HND-1B) is one of only five submissions to include a NARC launcher, and of those, one of only two that can jump. Mine is bigger than the other one and actually has a pronounceable name, so it's clearly superior. :colbert:

I am not good at fluff at all, but the idea was kind of a heavy recon role. It's pretty darn mobile for 75 tons, and between the weapons loadout and the 13 tons of armor I don't think I had to sacrifice too much in the way of punch or protection by cramming that NARC in there. And even though the Hound can't benefit from it directly, I like to think that anyone on the receiving end is going to be too worried by that MRM-40 in their face to give much though to the inevitable swarm of NARC-boosted LRMs winging their way in from one or more nearby Catapults.

As for my Draconis Suns submission (DS20, Ryo-Guchi RGC-2A)? Well, it's pretty much a Hammerhands on growth hormones (also, head-mounted laser!). While the fire-support role is obvious, there's nothing but a lack of adequate heat sinks (maximum heat generation/dissipation: 29/17) keeping you from duking things out at medium range. PTN is right though, I probably could have swapped half the guided ammo for acid rounds for some added versatility.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Uh. :stare:

Yeah, wow all those mechs look amazing for....one reason or another. I'll let people who are better at judging mechs decide.

Seriously though, why so much ammo in the head section? Clearly some mech designers are trying to assassinate Draconis Suns pilots. :colbert:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I need caffeine before I dare make my votes. Some of these mechs look really awesome, though.

And yes, that Mackie has a mighty BV. The most ancient of mechs needs to return as a true juggernaut of war :colbert:.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

DS 29 Oni
DS 15 Shadowhawk
CC 15 Pepperpot

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!
My picks for the Mech Design contest:

DS3 Lion
DS29 Oni
CC3 Po

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

I need caffeine before I dare make my votes. Some of these mechs look really awesome, though.

And yes, that Mackie has a mighty BV. The most ancient of mechs needs to return as a true juggernaut of war :colbert:.

PTN didn't post it for some reason, but:

quote:

Baba-Yaga BYA-2X

Cost: 9,372,000 C-Bills
Battle Value: 2,266

I do like the mackie though, but I'm waiting on pictures to vote unless they take a while.

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008
DS7 KnoxZone's Mackie
DS14 GenericServices' Jagermech
CC5 Leperflesh's "Rooster"

Exciting designs all around. As for my Mech being a hard sell, that's what the Cappies think too. That's why they're grabbing the Orions they have in storage as well as ones salvaged from battles with the FWL and retrofitting them instead of building them from the ground up. It's all in the pamphlet I passed out earlier.

The actual mechanics weren't too hard to figure out. The weapons and ammo were easily swapped so I didn't gain or lose any tonnage. The problem was the heat sinks. Even switching the singles with the improved versions didn't really help out very much, so I sacrificed 2 tons of armor for 2 extra sinks. Those 2 sinks allow one to fire both missile racks (standing still) without overheating. A good trade, I'd say.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

DS29 Because it's pretty similar to mine, although I wonder how the two would fare against each other. More holepunching vs massive critseeking. Got megamek, Plek?

CC7 That is a surprisingly large amount of firepower for something that size. I forsee hilarity if this is on the field.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
DS7 Mackie
CS15 Pepperpot
CS6 Illuminati

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Draconis Suns Entries:
DS7) Mackie by KnoxZone. Because MACKIE. What else do you need?
DS17) Yorinaga by TildeATH. This is a great Warhammer. It really plays up the PPC use, and the small lasers aren't going to do much up close, but they at least make you think about getting inside 3 hexes.

Capellan Confederation Entries:
CC15) Pepperpot by AJ_Impy. It took me a while to remember who made this. AJ_Impy designed something under 100 tons? :psyduck: It's simple, it makes good use of the LK ammo and I like one-gun-mechs.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Wow, there are a whole lot of really awesome 'Mechs in this competition.

DS7 Mackie is my first vote. I love me some Mackies, and it's surprisingly close to the original design while still being good.

CC14 Huli Jing is my second vote. I love small mechs packing big guns - and this 'Mech is almost like an IS version of the Hunchback IIC. It's fast as hell too - so it actually has a chance that it might use that big gun. Assuming the CC discover MASC technology sometime in the future it is the perfect candidate for it as well.

CC29 Cataphract is my third vote. Cataphract is a fun 'Mech, and that is one of the few designs that is tough enough and fast enough to actually make some use out of the Narc.

Honorable mentions obviously go to the Pepperpot - what a wonderful design. I was also very entertained by the Stalker from Atomikkrab and the Pillager from Krab. Slow assaults mounting dual MRM-40's are pretty badass. I also liked the Wildebeest by Leperflesh solely for the amount it would piss off clan warriors.

Also regarding the TSM version of the Kensai Kami - TSM with an ammunition based weapon? :ohdear:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
CC15 Pepperpot - I wanted to make an original 'mech that felt Capellan, good in a sneaky context and so gosh darn cute you could take it home and feed it cookies. It's adorable. You want one. Better yet, imagine what PTN will do with them.

DS5 Tachi - I wanted a 'mech that basically had all the new toys on it, a cutting-edge hundred-tonner that felt like an experimental testbed rushed into service in a panic given to the finest warriors of the unified nations.

DS7 Mackie - It's a Mackie, kudos. It would make sense that the first 'mech design should be one of the most reasonable candidates for tweaking.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 8, 2012

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
DS14 Jagermech because it's aggressively suboptimal and we need more of this.
DS17 Yorinaga for the same reason. I've already had my turn as a mechwarrior, so the best hope I have for entertainment is watching people try to pilot mechs like these.
CC1 Baba Yaga even though I love the Pepperpot's name, I love this name even more, and the design is fun, despite my loathing of 100-ton mechs. Also, the ammo situation makes me think aggressively suboptimal should be the name of a new band or tumblr.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TildeATH posted:

aggressively suboptimal

I really like aggressively suboptimal. Just saying.

"It gives the `Mechs a certain flavor, and makes a victory with one all the sweeter." ~ Every Jaegermech pilot ever.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm only voting for CC1 Baba Yaga so that we can avoid another urbanmech for the CC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

DS19)Kensai Kami - Because Magni made a nasty, nasty little infighter. This had been my first idea for a refit, but I'm glad I didn't because this is straight-up better.

DS27)Yabai-Yatsu - Because T.G. Xarbala is an amazing artist. Seriously, when you see how mean this thing looks you'll wish you'd voted for it.

CC13)Raven - This little guy has 1.14 missile tubes per ton. That's efficiency!

raverrn fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 8, 2012

• Locked thread