Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I know It's technically the wrong answer but, tell him if he doesn't quit being an rear end in a top hat you'll punch him in the mouth. If he doesn't listen...punch him in the mouth. You can obviously take him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Should I go to the gym with my basketball shorts but then also my normal belt around my waist and gun???? Should I pull it on him?

I just want to not hear his lovely music.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Rrail posted:

This is literally all the excitement I have in my life at this point.

What a sad sad life...

lol jk bro. who currrrss. Tell those cunts to gently caress off.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Rrail posted:

Should I go to the gym with my basketball shorts but then also my normal belt around my waist and gun???? Should I pull it on him?

I just want to not hear his lovely music.

Aren't you a rich contractor? Buy some high speed noise-cancelling earphones and get on with life. God drat.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Act like you want to put this all aside and be bros with him. Lace you work out gloves with LSD or whatever psychotropic drug you can get your hands on. Make amends and go in for a bro hug. From there he'll probably have a bad trip and never want to listen to dirt rock again. Just ensure you keep his weapon away from him. Don't need him to shoot at some imaginary demon pixies and accidentally George Lenny. Bonus points if it gets him sent home.

If this is crossing the line I also have a plan that involves a firehose, three Peruvian midgets and 2lbs of milk chocolate.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Tell him you can hear his music through your headphones, and that you would appreciate it if they would turn it down. If they refuse, talk to their supervisor. You're a contractor, so your word automatically trumps them. Throw out awesome buzzwords like "disrespectful, lack of professionalism, detracting from the army/af/marine/navy image, will not compromise," etc.

If that doesn't work, kick him in the throat, and crush his testicles with a 45lb plate.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

A Bakers Cousin fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 1, 2012

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Well if you wanted good advice you wouldn't have asked us. Bring some street justice to him.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Act like you want to put this all aside and be bros with him. Lace you work out gloves with LSD or whatever psychotropic drug you can get your hands on. Make amends and go in for a bro hug. From there he'll probably have a bad trip and never want to listen to dirt rock again. Just ensure you keep his weapon away from him. Don't need him to shoot at some imaginary demon pixies and accidentally George Lenny. Bonus points if it gets him sent home.

If this is crossing the line I also have a plan that involves a firehose, three Peruvian midgets and 2lbs of milk chocolate.

We do have a lot of Pervuians here, and they are all pretty short.... go on.

gleep glop posted:

Well if you wanted good advice you wouldn't have asked us.

Pretty much.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

when he's doing a bench press offer to spot him for his max weight and then drop the weight on his face and kill him.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Grampybone posted:

If a contractor came and complained to me about an actual service member I can't help but think I would straight up slap him.

edit: Shut up.

Calm down there killer, and take your internet sarcasm detection CBT.

Content: So Rrail, I really think that violence is the answer here.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I never thought for a moment that violence wasn't going to be the answer.

As an aside, contractors are higher on the food chain here than military personnel.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Kaliber posted:

when he's doing a bench press offer to spot him for his max weight and then drop the weight on his face and kill him.
No. Threaten to put your weiner in his face if he doesn't agree to stop.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'll just keep repeatedly turning it down until he decides to throw a punch.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

gleep glop posted:

No. Threaten to put your weiner in his face if he doesn't agree to stop.

just freeball while spotting him

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Rrail posted:

I never thought for a moment that violence wasn't going to be the answer.

As an aside, contractors are higher on the food chain here than military personnel.

What about a GS?

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Godholio posted:

What about a GS?

They are, of course, equivalent to their military rank and due all the same respect. For instance, a GS-14 would be a Lt. Col equivalent, and they are owed the same customs and courtesies.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Also they can command military units.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Rrail posted:

I'll just keep repeatedly turning it down until he decides to throw a punch.

Or slip some denatured alcohol or antifreeze into his water supply. Hell, fattie will probably lose weight in the hospital. If the government could do it in the 1920s...

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Rrail posted:

I don't want to alter my schedule because some fat, stupid, white-trash gently caress wants to play Slayer or whatever garbage metal bro's listen to at the gym really loudly. I'll figure something out.

Hey, Slayer kicks rear end for lifting to. But I listen on my sweet 'phones brah. Bought it with lawyer money. Beats by Dr. Dre perhaps you have heard of them.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Speed metal and speed punk own for lifting. Screw wearing expensive earbuds or headphones to the gym, though. I use some lovely $8 clip earphones because they're eventually going to be destroyed anyway.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

psydude posted:

Speed metal and speed punk own for lifting. Screw wearing expensive earbuds or headphones to the gym, though. I use some lovely $8 clip earphones because they're eventually going to be destroyed anyway.

I was kidding, who buys multi-hundred dollar headphones to listen to lovely compressed mp3s?

Bands I like to listen to while lifting: Slayer, Municipal Waste, Cancer Bats, Pour Habit, Strung Out, Six Feet Under, Send More Paramedics, GWAR, The Locust.

Bands I try not to listen to while lifting: Iron & Wine, The Decemberists, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Promise Ring, Bayside, Washed Out

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

3 Inches of Blood, Darkest Hour, In Flames, and the Flatliners. Also, I can't do hip-hop while lifting. I've tried, but it just makes me want to go drink instead of getting me pumped up.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Anybody that wastes money on expensive earphones for the gym is a retard. I burn through at least three pairs a year.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Maybe stop being such a sweaty, disgusting freak????

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Rrail posted:

Maybe stop being such a sweaty, disgusting freak????

Sorry brah, some of us are actually doing work at the gym.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Arch enemy is also great for getting a good pump on.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Anybody that wastes money on expensive earphones for the gym is a retard. I burn through at least three pairs a year.
The big trend here is to wear the over-ear Beats to the gym. I don't know how people do it. They're loving huge and like $180 or something outrageous.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A lot of people have them in Iraq and they are knock-offs sold at (I want to say "Haji Shops" because that is literally what they are called even by their owners but one of our mods thinks that is a racist term) the local nation shops on installation. Most people think they are genuine, even though they get them for $70 or whatever. People are beyond retarded. My $40 in ear headphones sound better than those pieces of junk.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
People do that in the states to. You see a ton of skinny rich white kids walk around with them on their necks. Along with their straight brimmed yankees hat and tough guy sneer.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

gleep glop posted:

People do that in the states to. You see a ton of skinny rich white kids walk around with them on their necks. Along with their straight brimmed yankees hat and tough guy sneer.

That describes to a t one guy at my old regiment. He used to wear white sunglasses in the gym too. He tried steroids too, after his first cycle he went from 130ish to about 134ish

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

My Spirit Otter posted:

That describes to a t one guy at my old regiment. He used to wear white sunglasses in the gym too. He tried steroids too, after his first cycle he went from 130ish to about 134ish
I forgot the white sunglasses. Real talk though, almost everyone tries steroids overseas and doesn't do poo poo.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

gleep glop posted:

I forgot the white sunglasses. Real talk though, almost everyone tries steroids overseas and doesn't do poo poo.

This wasn't overseas.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

gleep glop posted:

I haven't and won't try steroids :colbert:

My balls are too small already.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'll probably do a cycle or two after I quit working over here.

As an aside, my buddy and I have been doing the "recovery week" thing or whatever, where you go half weight but do 30 reps. It's been worse than a normal workout, the preacher curls were legitimately the most painful thing I've ever done in the gym.

edit; in before someone makes a joke about losing anal virginity in a gym

Rrail fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 11, 2012

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Rrail posted:

I'll probably do a cycle or two after I quit working over here.

As an aside, my buddy and I have been doing the "recovery week" thing or whatever, where you go half weight but do 30 reps. It's been worse than a normal workout, the preacher curls were legitimately the most painful thing I've ever done in the gym.

edit; in before someone makes a joke about losing anal virginity in a gym

It was in the showers, but I guess it still counts right :3:

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Good problems: I need a tool to punch another hole in my belt, since I'm well past the last one.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
"Combat Worst-Case Scenario: An Argument for Strength Training in the Military" by Maj. Ryan Whittemore

"Why Does the Army Want Me Weak? Training for Combat While Preparing for the Army Physical Fitness Test" by Maj. Ryan Long

I'm curious how many people in the military who are serious about lifting have read these two gems.

Both strongly advocate strength-based compound lifting, Major Long's essay outlines some of the better reasons to add Olympic lifts for explosive power, and he (albeit anecdotally) illustrates how interval training is vastly superior to distance running for the average soldier. Whittemore's a FSO with the 10th SFG, Long's a Phys Ed instructor at West Point. Their combined degrees, certifications, and experience are mind-boggling. The fact that both of these guys are practically ranting, shouting this poo poo from the rooftops and it's all falling on deaf ears... It's just loving depressing.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anecdotally, I used to get into arguments with this Captain in our office. He was a fatbody, then deployed to Colombia, and came back a runner. He ran 5+ miles every day. He hated that I couldn't run distance, but we found out at a PT that I could crush him in sprints. When I asked him to name likely/possible scenarios in which you would need to run 5 miles as opposed to 500 feet, he pretty much fell on his face.

Simply put, being fast is much better (in my opinion) than being able to run long. For most people in a combat environment (read: on a FOB), what's going to save your life is how fast you can get to a bunker. I won't dare to speak for people out in the red, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I think it's kind of hard to find a happy medium, unfortunately. Doing a lot of distance running will break down muscle, making it difficult to keep in good sprinting shape unless you're doing squats and intervals on a consistent basis.