Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

quote:

To be fair, the game is designed for all types of classes being necessary so they have their own moment to shine.

Fighters are better than clerics at absolutely nothing.

quote:

That's flat-out wrong. "The tarrasque’s natural weapons are treated as epic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction." I.e. the tarrasque would have a 50% miss chance but since its attack is treated as an epic magic weapon it would be able to affect the Allip. Once a hit connected the Allip would be toast.

The allip will probably chill about five feet beneath the ground, making insubstantial touch attacks up at the Tarrasque. The 50% miss chance stings a bit, but since the Tarrasque has touch armor of 5 and the Allip hits 95% of the time, it's not that big a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Fighters are better than clerics at absolutely nothing.
True, if the cleric is running Divine Power and other buffs. But that for example lasts 1 round/level and it isn't convenient to cast buffs if someone gets the drop on you. Persistent Spell admittedly addresses that issue, but that's only in higher levels and I agree that Persistent Spell is broken. (In one silly high level one-shot I had played a spellcaster with enough Improved Spell Capacity feats to be able to cast Persistent Time Stop. That was fun.)

Mystic Mongol posted:

The allip will probably chill about five feet beneath the ground, making insubstantial touch attacks up at the Tarrasque. The 50% miss chance stings a bit, but since the Tarrasque has touch armor of 5 and the Allip hits 95% of the time, it's not that big a deal.
The Tarrasque can simply ready an action to bite it when it pops out. It would take a number of hits to drain the Tarrasque's wisdom and on average the Tarrasque will one-shot the Allip by round 2.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The Tarrasque still can't hit ethereal creatures, though, right? If so, any spellcaster capable of casting Shapechange (even from a scroll) should be able to single-handedly take down the Tarrasque by switching back and forth between allip and phase spider forms.

Turn into a phase spider and approach the tarrasque ethereally, then at the beginning of your turn enter the material plane (free action for a phase spider), turn into an allip (free action), make an attack, fly up beyond the Tarrasque's reach (it's flat-footed so it doesn't get attacks of opportunity), rinse and repeat. You do have to wait for it to stop looking for you between attacks, otherwise it can hit you with attacks of opportunity as you leave or ready an action, but that should be a minor problem.

Of course, the existence of a 4 HD monster that can seriously threaten the Tarrasque suggests that the obvious way should be for a necromancer to summon a bunch of them, maybe give them a few combat buffs, and have them kamikaze (it should only take an average of six attacks to take down Mr. T), but I don't think there are core spells that let you summon an undead of your choice.

:spergin:

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 8, 2012

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Factor_VIII posted:

The Tarrasque can simply ready an action to bite it when it pops out.

Why pop out? It can just stay underground.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

The Tarrasque still can't hit ethereal creatures, though, right? If so, any spellcaster capable of casting Shapechange (even from a scroll) should be able to single-handedly take down the Tarrasque by switching back and forth between allip and phase spider forms.
To be fair, we are talking about a character with access to 9th level spells here. Those are normally the province of at least 17th level characters and the Tarrasque is a CR 20 creature.

NihilCredo posted:

Of course, the existence of a 4 HD monster that can seriously threaten the Tarrasque suggests that the obvious way should be for a necromancer to summon a bunch of them, maybe give them a few combat buffs, and have them kamikaze (it should only take an average of six attacks to take down Mr. T), but I don't think there are core spells that let you summon an undead of your choice.
True, a horde of allips could potentially overwhelm the Tarrasque, but this is a bit of a special case. Most high level enemies have magic in the form of spells or items that would let them deal with such a threat (if only by teleporting away). And yes, spellcasters can't summon undead of their choice, so that whole "low level spellcasters can summon an allip and kill the tarrasque" thing circulating on the web is a fun story but doesn't really work.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Mystic Mongol posted:

Why pop out? It can just stay underground.
Won't its hand or other extremity need to reach out? And incorporeal creatures cannot see through walls.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Factor_VIII posted:

To be fair, we are talking about a character with access to 9th level spells here. Those are normally the province of at least 17th level characters and the Tarrasque is a CR 20 creature.

True, a horde of allips could potentially overwhelm the Tarrasque, but this is a bit of a special case. Most high level enemies have magic in the form of spells or items that would let them deal with such a threat (if only by teleporting away). And yes, spellcasters can't summon undead of their choice, so that whole "low level spellcasters can summon an allip and kill the tarrasque" thing circulating on the web is a fun story but doesn't really work.

Yeah: the interesting point to take away from all of this is that you can give a melee creature pretty much as many buffs as you can think of, and a spellcaster will still be able to take it out with the clever use of a single high-level spell.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

Most spells in 3.x don't require you to roll poo poo, actually. Just point at where it goes off and then people in it have to roll to not just take the full force of it to the face, unless you chose a spell which doesn't even give them that.

That's one thing I really like about 4th edition. If the spellcaster is rolling for their spell to succeed against a target, it feels like the spellcaster is actually doing something, moreso than just waving their fingers and leaving the target to deal with whatever spell's been cast. But saving throws vs. spells are another sacred cow from AD&D.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

IMJack posted:

That's one thing I really like about 4th edition. If the spellcaster is rolling for their spell to succeed against a target, it feels like the spellcaster is actually doing something, moreso than just waving their fingers and leaving the target to deal with whatever spell's been cast. But saving throws vs. spells are another sacred cow from AD&D.
There's SR. But to be honest I like the fact that spellcasters in D&D can reliably get their spells off instead of having to roll to successfully cast them.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Factor_VIII posted:

There's SR. But to be honest I like the fact that spellcasters in D&D can reliably get their spells off instead of having to roll to successfully cast them.

It's nice for them, certainly. Non-casters have a failure chance on their inferior actions, though.

How many locks has Haley Starshine picked over the course of this comic? Enough to make a dent in a wand of knock, or would the party still have almost all of the charges left? She'd be a better thief if she were a wizard or bard instead, because skills are inferior to spells and sneak attack is garbage.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Mystic Mongol posted:

It's nice for them, certainly. Non-casters have a failure chance on their inferior actions, though.

How many locks has Haley Starshine picked over the course of this comic? Enough to make a dent in a wand of knock, or would the party still have almost all of the charges left? She'd be a better thief if she were a wizard or bard instead, because skills are inferior to spells and sneak attack is garbage.
A fighter doesn't have a failure chance to try and swing his sword though.

A wizard can't detect or disable traps though and using enchantment spells to act as the party face is a recipe for disaster. Knock is somewhat overpowered; I'd say Pathfinder made Knock more balanced, as it requires a caster level check to unlock a door. (Meaning a wand won't cut it at higher levels.)

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Factor_VIII posted:

A fighter doesn't have a failure chance to try and swing his sword though.

It's called 'missing'. It's not uncommon.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Mystic Mongol posted:

It's called 'missing'. It's not uncommon.
Most offensive spells have saves. And those that don't require touch attacks. And there's also SR.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Factor_VIII posted:

Most offensive spells have saves. And those that don't require touch attacks. And there's also SR.

This whole detour was started by Vitrolic Sphere, which has a save against the secondary effect, no touch attack, and ignores SR.

Casters are better than non-casters.

E: Besides, damage spells are inferior to Save or Lose spells, they're just better than all but the most optimized of pouncing barbarian builds. Or hulking hurlers, I guess. But not being able to destroy the earth as a standard action isn't a good guideline for power level. (Hulking Hurlers are funny)

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 8, 2012

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

^^^^^ Holy poo poo it ignores spell resistance too? What the loving fuckity gently caress.

Yeah, mechanically there's zero difference between having the victim roll a saving throw vs. DC and having the wizard roll a magic version of attack roll vs. AC.

However, if you're not completely autistic it feels very different. The person rolling the die is the one praying the gods to succeed, the one who can have bad luck or good luck vs. a fixed challenge. Saving throws reinforce the feeling that spellcasters are superior beings that mere mortals should fear.

(There's also the more pragmatic consideration that it's better to make the players worry about die rolls and which bonuses to apply, instead of burdening the DM with any more arithmetic fussing than strictly necessary, since he already probably has a ton of poo poo to keep track of.)

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 8, 2012

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

Yeah, mechanically there's zero difference between having the victim roll a saving throw vs. DC and having the wizard roll a magic version of attack roll vs. AC.
Except that your attack score is generally relatively static, while there were large gaps between your good and bad saves in 3.x, which a canny spellcaster could generally make at least a good guess at and pick a spell which targets their victim's weak save(s).

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Mystic Mongol posted:

This whole detour was started by Vitrolic Sphere, which has a save against the secondary effect, no touch attack, and ignores SR.

quote:

VITRIOLIC SPHERE
Conjuration (Creation) [Acid]
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 5
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 10-ft.-radius burst
Duration: Instantaneous; see text
Saving Throw: Reflex partial; see text
Spell Resistance: No

Affected creatures take 6d6 points of acid damage. Creatures that succeed on their Reflex saving throws take half of this damage. Creatures that fail their Reflex saves take full damage, and also take 6d6 points of acid damage in each of the following 2 rounds.
Material Component: A tiny glass vial filled with aqua regia.
Yes some of the offensive conjuration spells from Spell Compendium are overpowered, but Vitriolic Sphere does allow a reflex save for half damage (and saving eliminates the damage normally done on subsequent rounds).

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Factor_VIII posted:

Yes some of the offensive conjuration spells from Spell Compendium are overpowered, but Vitriolic Sphere does allow a reflex save for half damage (and saving eliminates the damage normally done on subsequent rounds).

...So it allows a Reflex save for half damage. Which is the exact thing that Evasion, one of the hallmarks of a rogue, applies to. Which would let Haley and her Evasion (probably Improved at this point but whatever) take no damage.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Shugojin posted:

...So it allows a Reflex save for half damage. Which is the exact thing that Evasion, one of the hallmarks of a rogue, applies to. Which would let Haley and her Evasion (probably Improved at this point but whatever) take no damage.
Indeed. The strip didn't make a rule error. And a successful save lets a target get effectively a sixth of the damage the spell is capable of causing (3d6 instead of 18d6 over the course of the 3 rounds; assuming resistance to acid doesn't come into play).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Evasion description posted:

If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage.
The description doesn't say "partial damage" or whatever, it explicitly says "half damage", and incidentally every core spell that works this way does it by having "Save: Reflex half" in the description.

Letting Evasion work vs. Vitriolic Sphere can be a sensible house rule to make the spell slightly less stupid, but it would definitely have to be a house rule.

Zereth posted:

Except that your attack score is generally relatively static, while there were large gaps between your good and bad saves in 3.x, which a canny spellcaster could generally make at least a good guess at and pick a spell which targets their victim's weak save(s).

I was talking in a very strict sense: there's no difference between "10 + spell level + Int bonus vs. 1d20 + saving throw + stat bonus" (3E) and "1d20 + spell level + Int bonus vs. 10 + saving throw + stat bonus" (4E), except for who gets to physically roll the die with the logistical and psychological implications I described.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 8, 2012

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

The description doesn't say "partial damage" or whatever, it explicitly says "half damage", and incidentally every core spell that works this way does it by having "Save: Reflex half" in the description.

Letting Evasion work vs. Vitriolic Sphere can be a sensible house rule to make the spell slightly less stupid, but it would definitely have to be a house rule.
I see what you mean since the saving throw line states "Reflex partial". Though I'd interpret is as evasion applying since the SRD states evasion applies upon a "successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save" and Vitriolic sphere in its description does state "Creatures that succeed on their Reflex saving throws take half of this damage". It seems a bit ambiguous though.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
That's not Vitrolic Sphere from the Complete Arcane. Is that from Neverwinter Nights II? They changed a lot of spells for that to make them less ludicrous.

Complete Arcane posted:

Conjuration (Creation) [Acid]
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 5, wu jen 5
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 10-ft.-radius burst
Duration: Instantaneous; see text
Saving Throw: Reflex negates and Reflex half; see text
Spell Resistance: No

You conjure a sizzling emerald sphere that drenches all within the area with a potent acid. Affected creatures take 1d4 points of acid damage per caster level (maximum 15d4) and must succeed on a Reflex save or risk taking damage in the following 2 rounds (6d4 points of damage in the second round and 3d4 points of damage in the third round). Both rounds of continuing damage are subject to Reflexx saves for half damage; if an affected creature succeeds on its second Reflex save, it takes no acid damage in the third round.

So you take the 21d4 (empowered) and then make a saving throw against the ongoing. If you fail that throw, you can make half damage throws against the two rounds of ongoing damage, so Evasion works on those. That's nice.

It's a really good spell, for damage. Belkar DID just take something like 127 damage, with Roy and Durkon taking somewhere between that and sixty one hundred (e: dumb mistake).... probably also roughly 127, since they both have terrible dex scores and bad reflex saves. Still, better just to use divination to predict the weak saves of your opponents ahead of time, and then use save or loses to end things in one round.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 8, 2012

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Mystic Mongol posted:

That's not Vitrolic Sphere from the Complete Arcane.
It's from Spell Compendium. Presumably they decided to change the spell.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Not that this has anything to do with the discussion, but I just discovered where some of my OotS books had been hiding ever since I moved three and a half years ago. I get to read Start of Darkness again, hooray!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
All this "oh god spellcasters :stonk:" chat is once again reminding me of my confusion over why anyone would hate 4e for trying to be more balanced.

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?

404GoonNotFound posted:

All this "oh god spellcasters :stonk:" chat is once again reminding me of my confusion over why anyone would hate 4e for trying to be more balanced.

Ask and you shall receive.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Yeah Man posted:

Ask and you shall receive.

That's. . . that's like, some sort of parody of grognards, right? :ohdear:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

404GoonNotFound posted:

Just wait until 5E. I've been playing D&D since the 80's and from what I've been reading about the direction their taking the new edition, it's all I can do to stop myself from posting rants like all the 3.5 fans did when 4E came out. Seriously sounding like giant steps backwards.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

What is even known about 5E at this point? Last I heard about it was the whole "we want to hear from people who actually play" thing a few months back.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

NihilCredo posted:

What is even known about 5E at this point? Last I heard about it was the whole "we want to hear from people who actually play" thing a few months back.

Wizards of the Coast have confirmed that the things you don't like form the backbone of the new edition.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
As a DM I do kind of find player exploits and confusing rules fun. I'm not a great campaign writer so thr more they go off the rails and I have to improvise, the more fun it generally is. So far in 4e usually everything goes according to plan. In previous editions they go rogue, do crazy poo poo, and think I'm the one who came up with it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Last I read about it, they were going for some sort of modular DM system where they provide rules for a bunch of different play styles and then the DM chooses what they want. Admittedly, I have not kept up on the news because I don't even have time or a group to play 4E with.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I've been wanting to get some experience as a DM by running a 4E game, but I'm a bit deterred by the financial commitment. Did those Shamen By The Shoreline ever drop the "Blizzard charges monthly, so we can, too!" thing?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

404GoonNotFound posted:

I think the way your phrasing is loaded. Some of the changes 4e instituted are good, e.g. giving more options to melee classes and making it so low level spellcasters don't spend most of the day acting as crossbowmen, as well as removing the abolishing level loss from dying and reducing the number of skills (how often did Use Rope come into play?). However I do get the feeling that the approach with 4e was to try and make things easier for the GM by simply restricting the things players were able to do in previous editions (e.g. no teleporting) as well as homogenizing things to an extent, such as by having undead function in a pretty similar manner to living opponents e.g having Con scores and being just as vulnerable to enchantment spells for example. Also things you can do out of combat with magic seem much more restricted; rituals exist but are they are fewer in number, take longer to cast, are harder to pull off and are pretty expensive.

Also the whole mess with the all the errata is pretty annoying. Trying to create a character without a D&D insider subscription is a pain in the rear end.

Personally I'd say my favorite incarnation of D&D is Pathfinder. It nerfed some pretty broken spells such as Divine Power, Force Cage and Shapechange as well as broken abilities like Wildshape. Also it gives more customization options for classes, such as barbarian rage powers, rogue abilities and extra additional fighter feats. (As well as doing some other rule changes such as reducing the number of skills and abolishing having to pay double for cross-class skills and removing level loss for being raised from the dead).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Factor_VIII posted:

I think the way your phrasing is loaded. Some of the changes 4e instituted are good, e.g. giving more options to melee classes and making it so low level spellcasters don't spend most of the day acting as crossbowmen, as well as removing the abolishing level loss from dying and reducing the number of skills (how often did Use Rope come into play?). However I do get the feeling that the approach with 4e was to try and make things easier for the GM by simply restricting the things players were able to do in previous editions (e.g. no teleporting) as well as homogenizing things to an extent, such as by having undead function in a pretty similar manner to living opponents e.g having Con scores and being just as vulnerable to enchantment spells for example. Also things you can do out of combat with magic seem much more restricted; rituals exist but are they are fewer in number, take longer to cast, are harder to pull off and are pretty expensive.

Also the whole mess with the all the errata is pretty annoying. Trying to create a character without a D&D insider subscription is a pain in the rear end.

Personally I'd say my favorite incarnation of D&D is Pathfinder. It nerfed some pretty broken spells such as Divine Power, Force Cage and Shapechange as well as broken abilities like Wildshape. Also it gives more customization options for classes, such as barbarian rage powers, rogue abilities and extra additional fighter feats. (As well as doing some other rule changes such as reducing the number of skills and abolishing having to pay double for cross-class skills and removing level loss for being raised from the dead).

Ugh, Pathfinder is pretty awful honestly because it reads like someone read the core rulebook for 3.5 and thought "How can I make this caster/non-caster disparity worse while pretending to fix it?" What it did to Bards especially is totally inexcusable (I'm a Bard who, at twentieth level can sing for less than five minutes a day!) Also the ridiculous bonuses it heaped on Wizards and Sorcerers made me slightly nauseous. And it didn't even nerf most of the abusive spells besides the shape-changing stuff (which is admittedly pretty big). It also didn't give anything decent to the mundane characters beyond some bigger numbers... but bigger numbers were never really their issue. They also do poo poo like the Power Attack change which manage to be a step forward and back, or their stubborn refusal to fix broken poo poo like Candles of Invocation. They also managed to gently caress Rogues over by making it incredibly difficult to get consistent full-round sneak attacks for... no real reason.

The only classes that majorly improved between 3.5 and Pathfinder are the Ranger, Wizard and Sorcerer... which is a big loving problem considering two of them are the most ridiculous classes in Core before the buffs.

Their new classes are almost all hilariously bad, (I'm a Cavalier! I'm like a Paladin except worse in every conceivable way! I'm an Alchemist! My potions are almost universally worse than third level spells and have ridiculous restrictions!)

I have some grudging respect for the skill system, what it did to Druids and the Summoner. That stuff is pretty cool.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Factor_VIII posted:

:words:

You're not going to get much sympathy with this point of view here. This whole discussion started because of "caster supremacy" which is still a giant problem in Pathfinder as well as 3.x.

Factor_VIII posted:

However I do get the feeling that the approach with 4e was to try and make things easier for the GM by simply restricting the things players were able to do in previous editions

You mean like restricting what fighters can do by turning their "oh, it's my turn? swing sword AGAIN *roll dice*" into "woo! my turn! let me choose among my many interesting and varied abilities"? You mean restricting what players can do by including pretty much the same "you can do anything, here's a basic model to turn it into a skill check or whatever" as "Rule Zero" in 3.x? I can't think of a single thing you can do in 3.x and can't do in 4e except "become a wizard/cleric and be vastly, overwhelmingly superior to the other members of your party."

Factor_VIII posted:

(e.g. no teleporting)

You can't have even skimmed the 4e PHB and think this. Warlocks and eladrin (and especially eladrin warlocks) love the teleporting. You can make a character whose whole schtick is to teleport around and do cool teleportation tricks and stuff. You can make a monk that does the whole Dragonball Z move-so-fast-it's-a-teleport-and-punch-out-your-kidneys thing. You can be a wizard and set up teleportation circles to go places quickly.

Factor_VIII posted:

Also things you can do out of combat with magic seem much more restricted; rituals exist but are they are fewer in number, take longer to cast, are harder to pull off and are pretty expensive.

They're not that expensive, there are at least as many as there were non-combat utility spells in the core books of 3.x, and aren't completely game-breaking anymore. I fail to see how this is a bad change. Something's gotta give if you're trying to design a system where wizards and clerics aren't vastly superior to the other options.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

DontMockMySmock posted:

You can't have even skimmed the 4e PHB and think this. Warlocks and eladrin (and especially eladrin warlocks) love the teleporting. You can make a character whose whole schtick is to teleport around and do cool teleportation tricks and stuff. You can make a monk that does the whole Dragonball Z move-so-fast-it's-a-teleport-and-punch-out-your-kidneys thing. You can be a wizard and set up teleportation circles to go places quickly.
Teleporting in 4e requires line of sight. Which means it's useless if you e.g. get swallowed by something and much less useful as a way of escaping from a difficult situation.

There is a level 28 ritual that lets you go wherever you want but the lower level one is pretty restricted about where you can go with it since it needs an existing circle to be there. Planar travel is also pretty restricted.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Pope Guilty posted:

Wizards of the Coast have confirmed that the things you don't like form the backbone of the new edition.
Nope. Wizards of the Coast confirmed game is wildly different than it was and not even in a state that they said it should be in at this time period.

quote:

Teleporting in 4e requires line of sight. Which means it's useless if you e.g. get swallowed by something and much less useful as a way of escaping from a difficult situation.
Nope. It doesn't.
[quote]I've been wanting to get some experience as a DM by running a 4E game, but I'm a bit deterred by the financial commitment. Did those Shamen By The Shoreline ever drop the "Blizzard charges monthly, so we can, too!" thing?[/qoute]
Omg... They are delivering content via the internet. How dare they have the gall to charge for it?

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 9, 2012

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

DrakePegasus posted:

I've been wanting to get some experience as a DM by running a 4E game, but I'm a bit deterred by the financial commitment. Did those Shamen By The Shoreline ever drop the "Blizzard charges monthly, so we can, too!" thing?

They have an online tool you can subscribe to for a monthly fee. It's not mandatory. I've run whole campaigns without ever once buying it; I just ran it out of the books which require no ongoing money input once you have them.

You can ask in one of several Traditional Games threads if you need anything else beyond what's in the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

MadScientistWorking posted:

Nope. It doesn't.
Page 286 Player's Handbook: "Teleportation: Line of Sight: You have to be able to see your destination."

And the range of most teleport effects is pretty limited.