Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Kiss Dementors
Dec 11, 2007

saberwulf posted:

Also recommending this. Mushi-Shi is pretty much a nature documentary about Japanese cryptids that takes place in a closed-off 19th century Japan. There's not a thing "anime" about it (Studio Ghibli films and Cowboy Bebop are more anime than Mushishi) and has amazing writing, art, and sound. No samurai, no ninjas, no demons or any highschool girl magic, just a dude who travels across Japan and investigates folk tales. Even the main character's odd hair color is given a good reason early on in the series. The first two episodes involve kids, but don't let that turn you off. Mushi-Shi is seriously a downright amazing show.

I just started watching this based on your recommendation. I'm only three episodes in but I'm already in awe. It's not action-packed and exciting like anime usually is. It's just peaceful but in a way very haunting. It's really unlike anything I've ever seen before. All of you people who hate anime should watch this just to show how absolutely amazing anime can be when done right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

saberwulf posted:

Just watched this last night. Holy gently caress that was a great movie. Don't let the title turn you off, this film is amazing. Might be Whitaker's best role, though I haven't seen Last King of Scotland yet.

Ghost Dog was really really good, it took itself just seriously enough, I really liked it.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

Way back someone recommended Better Off Ted, I finally watched the first several episodes and I'm hooked. I haven't laughed so hard in awhile.

Yeah dude, show loving rules.

Here's a list of three awesome shows I've blown through:

Terriers - Donal Logue and the fake Cajun from True Blood are a crack private detective duo who solve crimes and poo poo. It's hilarious, and rules.

Life - with Damien Lewis, a cop who was framed and sent to jail, and got out twelve years later after being acquitted due to new DNA evidence. He got a big settlement, and he went back to being a homicide detective. It's awesome. His partner is super hot. Donal Logue comes into it in the second season. That dude rules in everything he's in. Also, Christina Hendricks guest stars in a few episodes and is as hot as ever.

Life on Mars - about a cop from 2008 that somehow ends up in 1973. Harvey Keitel, Michael Imperioli, and Gretchen Mol are all main characters, and it rules.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Just came here to say that Netflix has put up a ton of TED Talks that are organized by subject matter and divided into episodes by speaker. Happy times.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Bored As gently caress posted:

Life on Mars - about a cop from 2008 that somehow ends up in 1973. Harvey Keitel, Michael Imperioli, and Gretchen Mol are all main characters, and it rules.
This could have been a great show, but it had the most infuriating cop-out ending. The UK version was excellent, however, and it's well worth getting on DVD (unfortunately it's not available on Instant). I'm hoping the follow-up, "Ashes to Ashes" makes it to Netflix eventually - it was running on BBC America for a while at odd times and I ended up missing a lot of episodes as a result. But it was pretty good too, although not as good as the original series, which was one of the best things I've ever seen.

Kampfy Von Wafflehaus posted:

Just came here to say that Netflix has put up a ton of TED Talks that are organized by subject matter and divided into episodes by speaker. Happy times.
I watched a segment of one of these some time ago, but I was really turned off by the self-congratulatory "ideas worth spreading" thing and the general production and style, which reminded me of those motivational speaker life coach guys like Anthony Robbins, and the talk itself was a waste of time without any substance. But on the other hand, some of them sound like they might be interesting. Do you have any specific recommendations? I'd like to give the series another chance.

MacGowans Teeth has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Apr 6, 2012

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Sizzler Manager posted:

This could have been a great show, but it had the most infuriating cop-out ending. The UK version was excellent, however, and it's well worth getting on DVD (unfortunately it's not available on Instant). I'm hoping the follow-up, "Ashes to Ashes" makes it to Netflix eventually - it was running on BBC America for a while at odd times and I ended up missing a lot of episodes as a result. But it was pretty good too, although not as good as the original series, which was one of the best things I've ever seen.

Yeah, the last 5 minutes of the show sucked. Kind of like Mass Effect 3, I just choose to think of a different ending.

Personally (pretty big spoiler I choose to believe that Sam chose to stay in 1973, invested wisely in stocks back in those days, and later when he was older in Yahoo, AOL, Microsoft, Google, and Amazon, and pulled out before the first two tanked, and grew old with Annie :)

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

Sizzler Manager posted:

I watched a segment of one of these some time ago, but I was really turned off by the self-congratulatory "ideas worth spreading" thing and the general production and style, which reminded me of those motivational speaker life coach guys like Anthony Robbins, and the talk itself was a waste of time without any substance. But on the other hand, some of them sound like they might be interesting. Do you have any specific recommendations? I'd like to give the series another chance.

I personally only watch the scientific and space themed ones because I get what you are saying. When it comes to motivational though, anything that will inspire scientific research doesn't bug me at all. I really enjoy these because they spark imagination which is generally the key in furthering awesome projects like the space program.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Sizzler Manager posted:

I watched a segment of one of these some time ago, but I was really turned off by the self-congratulatory "ideas worth spreading" thing and the general production and style...

re: Ted Talks

Watch some others, each is different. One of my favorites is by Sir Ken Robinson who talks about the importance of creativity and how British (and presumably American) schools tend to squash it. Not sure how to find it on Netflix but on the website you can just sort by most viewed and it should be on top.

fake edit: http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/The_Future_We_Will_Create_Inside_the_World_of_TED/70067274?trkid=4791092

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Yeah, there are some really good ted bits and some really awful ones. Benjamin Zander's talk on classical music is good. I also really liked Mike Rowe's one as well, he's an awesome speaker. People seem to love that one with the woman talking about her stroke. It starts off cool but then she goes into all this hippie-dippy metaphysical poo poo and left brain vs right brain crap and ugggghhh.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

The Sensei really surprised me when I saw it a while back. Basically, a gay high school student is taught martial arts by the estranged daughter of the family who owns the local martial arts studio. It sounds like gay Karate Kid, but I enjoyed it despite its flaws (dubious acting in places, melodrama), and it's not properly a martial arts film, in my opinion - more of a drama. I won't say it's good, because it isn't exactly, but it's worth seeing.

Muay Thai Giant is a martial arts comedy about this huge Australian dude who's a total pussy unless he eats papaya salad (with hot peppers) whereupon he turns bright red and goes berserk. He's befriended by a bunch of kids and ends up helping them fight local gangsters. It's a silly concept and the movie was amusing.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.
I had been wondering about all the TEDtalks stuff popping up on Netflix lately and what it was so the discussion about it has been fairly helpful. There's one that I was tempted to watch because it has Mary Roach as a speaker (I love her books) so I might start there.

Also it looks like all the episodes of Married With Children are up on Netflix. I remember watching a few episodes while it was actually on air and finding it pretty boring because I was too young to understand any of the jokes. Recently, I caught some old reruns on TV and thought they were pretty funny so now I'm running through them on Netflix. One thing that caught me a bit off-guard was that in the season one episodes I've seen so far, there's actually been some pretty sweet (as in adorable) moments which I hadn't expected, but was kind of a pleasant surprise :3: No idea if there are still moments like that in later episodes though.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

scorpiobean posted:

Also it looks like all the episodes of Married With Children are up on Netflix. I remember watching a few episodes while it was actually on air and finding it pretty boring because I was too young to understand any of the jokes. Recently, I caught some old reruns on TV and thought they were pretty funny so now I'm running through them on Netflix. One thing that caught me a bit off-guard was that in the season one episodes I've seen so far, there's actually been some pretty sweet (as in adorable) moments which I hadn't expected, but was kind of a pleasant surprise :3: No idea if there are still moments like that in later episodes though.

The most unexpected thing for me was that they replaced the theme song with some generic instrumental. I guess the licensing didn't work out.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

cornface posted:

The most unexpected thing for me was that they replaced the theme song with some generic instrumental. I guess the licensing didn't work out.

Yeah I noticed that too! But I guess I thought it was a first season thing and that it would pop up in later seasons. No idea if that's true or not though, I'm still only on season one.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sizzler Manager posted:

TED is usually pretty good (though in recent years they seem to be letting more flakes in) so long as you approach it with the mindset that it is something that is designed to be entertaining and "inspirational" to corporate bigwigs first and foremost. From my time watching TED the ones by actual scientists and engineers are usually pretty good while the ones by economists and psychologists tend to be awful :biotruths:, and the ones by entertainers and creatives can go either way.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

scorpiobean posted:

Yeah I noticed that too! But I guess I thought it was a first season thing and that it would pop up in later seasons. No idea if that's true or not though, I'm still only on season one.

Nope, it is a licensing issue. Back then licensing tended to be for telecast and future syndication. Reproduction rights passed that were not considered since the concept effectively didn't exist. Unfortunately that often means some really hideous replacement music in the DVD or other digital releases when the companies cannot negotiate usage of the music.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
I finally was to catch Archer on Netflix and Oh. My. God.

Or better yet

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

The SituAsian posted:

I finally was to catch Archer on Netflix and Oh. My. God.

Or better yet

Archer was a pleasant surprise for me too. I didn't "love" it until I saw some of the second season, but now it's all good.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'm enjoying the Sherlock Holmes shows starring Jeremy Brett. Really good if you're a Holmes fan.

Also the series "Reaper", a short lived yet enjoyably silly show about a guy recapturing escaped souls from hell. The devil is played by Ray Wise in some of the most perfect casting ever. Also the goofy friends are pretty hilarious.

ZombieSnot
Jan 2, 2011

Entrenched in nutritious rotting flesh.

priznat posted:

Also the series "Reaper", a short lived yet enjoyably silly show about a guy recapturing escaped souls from hell. The devil is played by Ray Wise in some of the most perfect casting ever. Also the goofy friends are pretty hilarious.

Highly recommend Reaper to anyone who hasnt seen it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My only complaint is it needed at least another season, it was really hitting its stride also the sock's stepsister stuff, ugh

ZombieSnot
Jan 2, 2011

Entrenched in nutritious rotting flesh.

priznat posted:

My only complaint is it needed at least another season, it was really hitting its stride also the sock's stepsister stuff, ugh

Yes. The show was definitely killed off much to early. gently caress you cw.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I watched the TED talk, something along the lines of "10 things you didn't know about orgasms" and it was actually really interesting and funny.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Buzkashi posted:

I watched the TED talk, something along the lines of "10 things you didn't know about orgasms" and it was actually really interesting and funny.

Here's one of the better (I think) examples: Why I chose the gun by Peter van Uhm, four-star general in the Dutch army and Dutch Chief of Defence Staff.

civilian.d
Sep 21, 2006

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
just wanted to give more love for ghost dog if anybody is still on the fence. i got to see it in theatrical release, and wind up watching it once every couple of years. had my girlfriend watch it with me last week, and she loved it too.
i should mention, definitely watch this if you're into hip-hop. rza (from the wu-tang clan) did the music, and its really good - the beats ghost dog listens to in the car scenes have that great wu-tang sound, really the whole movie seems like it was made for wu-tang to be a part of it, i dont know if jj had rza in mind from the beginning, but they made a perfect fit together. (don't let this turn you off if you don't like hip-hop, but if you do it's an extra layer of goodness). both soundtracks are worth picking up also - one is mainly the instrumental beats by rza, and the other is lots of tracks featuring other mcs, some about ghost dog some not, classic east-coast sound. both are intermittently peppered with ghost dog's quotes from hagakure.

if you like fun, don't-sweat-the-details and just go along for the ride tv shows, i'll recommend white collar. there are two seasons up, we tore through 'em pretty fast at my house. lots of plot holes and nonsensical whatnot, but if you can look past that, it's quite good. fbi+ex-con consultant 'crime dramedy' is about the best i can classify it? i'm not sure how to classify it. i watch a lot of dark and gritty poo poo so once in a while i need something light to just have a little fun with, and this show fit the bill for me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

Yeah, there are some really good ted bits and some really awful ones. Benjamin Zander's talk on classical music is good. I also really liked Mike Rowe's one as well, he's an awesome speaker. People seem to love that one with the woman talking about her stroke. It starts off cool but then she goes into all this hippie-dippy metaphysical poo poo and left brain vs right brain crap and ugggghhh.

Can you point me toward which specific TED Talks "episode(s)" Mike Rowe was on?

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
I looked through them to see if it was on Netflix and it's not- not a big shocker because he talks a lot about his Dirty Jobs show but it's on the actual TED website.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

I looked through them to see if it was on Netflix and it's not- not a big shocker because he talks a lot about his Dirty Jobs show but it's on the actual TED website.

Is it the same for the Adam Savage talk? I can't find that one either.

BigOldSkullRing
Mar 28, 2010
I just watched Ralph Bakshi's 'Fire and Ice'. I'm not sure what to make of it honestly, haha. I enjoyed watching it though. Is there any Netflix Instant films I should look into that are similar?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

BigOldSkullRing posted:

I just watched Ralph Bakshi's 'Fire and Ice'. I'm not sure what to make of it honestly, haha. I enjoyed watching it though. Is there any Netflix Instant films I should look into that are similar?

Fritz the Cat is always fun.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Just noticed that Human Centipede 2 is up.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Human_Centipede_2_Full_Sequence/70212952?trkid=496624

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

You should try to un-notice that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Homeybeef posted:

You should try to un-notice that.

Curiosity will get the better of me.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

wormil posted:

Curiosity will get the better of me.
I watched it the other night. Complete waste of time. Gross for the sake of being gross and that wears thin very quickly. Filmed poorly, no plot, lovely fx. No pun intended.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
I noticed that The Hi-Lo Country is up. It's a western drama that takes place after WWII. I really enjoyed this movie and don't think it gets enough love. It's currently out of print and the used dvds can be pricey. Unfortunately netflix has the 4:3 format up instead of wide screen, but it's still worth a watch.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I have a question for you guys.

I am taking a bioethics class right now. One of my assignments I have to watch a movie with bio-ethical implications and write a paper on it.

I could just bullshit a paper on a movie I've seen, but there is no fun in that. So can you guys suggest a movie on netflix with bio-ethical implications? Don't feel the need to explain said implications in an epistle, I do not need help on the actual homework, I am asking advice primarily because I want to use this opportunity to watch a kick-rear end movie I have never seen.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

alpha_destroy posted:

I am taking a bioethics class right now. One of my assignments I have to watch a movie with bio-ethical implications and write a paper on it.

I could just bullshit a paper on a movie I've seen, but there is no fun in that. So can you guys suggest a movie on netflix with bio-ethical implications? Don't feel the need to explain said implications in an epistle, I do not need help on the actual homework, I am asking advice primarily because I want to use this opportunity to watch a kick-rear end movie I have never seen.

The Human Centipede part 2

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

alpha_destroy posted:

It's a horribly one-sided film, but I guarantee Food, Inc. will fit the bill for what you're looking for.

I would go for it as long as you don't have to do presentations on the reports or anything. God knows there are enough reactionary idiots who think watching the movie makes them experts on agrobusiness, and making more isn't something I'd want to do.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Gattaca (not on instant)
Never Let Me Go (not on instant)
The Boys from Brazil (not on instant)
The 6th Day (not on instant)
The Island of Dr. Moreau (not on instant)
Logan's Run (not on instant)
Soylent Green (not on instant)
The Secret of NIMH

Comedy answer:
Tokyo Gore Police

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

alpha_destroy posted:

Serious option: Million Dollar Baby (I've never actually seen it)
More fun options: Robocop, Gattaca
Stupid option (but possibly also fun, depending on your taste): Repo: The Genetic Opera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Serious option: Million Dollar Baby (I've never actually seen it)
More fun options: Robocop, Gattaca
Stupid option (but possibly also fun, depending on your taste): Repo: The Genetic Opera

I love every single element of this post. I'm not even exaggerating here. Every bit of it makes me feel fuzzy inside.

Also, how about Edward Scissorhands? You've got that whole thing about making a new lifeform, plus the pros and cons of sculpting him in your individual image.

Also: Human Centipede.

• Locked thread