Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas
Washed it,

Then replaced the dirty old thermostat housing with a nice new one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Resealed this bastard.

Every time I'd fill the Scout up she'd start pissing fuel like an over-excited dog. Turns out the fuel sender was improperly installed by the previous owner. It was double gasketed in manner I can only describe as exceptionally stupid. It appears this was done intentionally. I don't know why.

Then I rewired my taillights. There was more splice than wire back there, and the splices were a mix of mis-matched and sometimes mis-sized butt connectors and wingnuts. No wonder I was only reading 6v at the socket. Janky spliced up wire was replace with new runs and the new splices were soldered and shrink tubed.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Found a set of hubcaps.

Installed the freshly painted valve covers on new gaskets. Hopefully tomorrow there are no more leaks to smoke me out.

Now to order the new instrument panel sockets so I can tell how much gas I have at night.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

StormDrain posted:

Found a set of hubcaps.

Installed the freshly painted valve covers on new gaskets. Hopefully tomorrow there are no more leaks to smoke me out.

Now to order the new instrument panel sockets so I can tell how much gas I have at night.

Your truck confuses me. The motor looks set back like a 74 or 75, but the fenders say 1110 like a 73 or earlier.

Also, two IH posts in a row, gently caress yeah!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

trouser chili posted:

Your truck confuses me. The motor looks set back like a 74 or 75, but the fenders say 1110 like a 73 or earlier.

Also, two IH posts in a row, gently caress yeah!

Perhaps it's at a funny angle but it's a '72 1110 4x4.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

StormDrain posted:

Perhaps it's at a funny angle but it's a '72 1110 4x4.

Do your exhaust manifolds dump out at the back of the motor, or more in toward the center?

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

StormDrain posted:

Found a set of hubcaps.

That's not a hubcap... Its a torque converter casing! :3:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Just got done doing the first serious work on a car myself, changing the rear cam seals and valve gaskets on my Passat. Everything seems to have come out ok, although I was a little worried about doing it for the first time. So much cheaper than paying someone to do it, and really not that hard to do. :unsmith:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

trouser chili posted:

Do your exhaust manifolds dump out at the back of the motor, or more in toward the center?

Toward the center.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
The Cleveland Certifit finally got the DEPO HID housings for my Focus back in stock so I picked up a driver's side assembly:

Now I get to spend the next week or two cracking it open, replacing the lovely Chinese HID projector with the genuine Hella projector out of my old driver's side assembly and painting the insert to match the one on the left.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

:toot:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

StormDrain posted:

Toward the center.

Hmm, well that's normal then. The motor can't be mounted like a 74/75 cause the center dump manifolds won't fit that application. I just can't imagine that fan shroud being much bigger, but they must.

TheAtomicMan
May 4, 2007

whats that over there

Took apart my dash today trying to figure out why my drivers console lights wont turn on and speakers don't work anymore. Ended up realizing I have no idea what I'm doing and found an old aftermarket car alarm behind the passengers dash. I removed it, with much cursing as I had to take nearly all of my car's interior apart to do it. Didn't make any progress on lights or stereo.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Pushed the air intake duct back into my airbox, hopefully fixing my traffic-jam-almost-overheating issues. :v:

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Engine died 1.5 blocks from my house after driving 40 miles, thankfully I was on a slope so I was able to coast all the way into my garage! Found a flywheel sensor unplugged so I fixed that problem and changed the oil while I had it on the ramps.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I put it up for sale.:cry:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

M4rg4r1ne posted:

I put it up for sale.:cry:

gently caress, AI cars that I want keep going up for sale half the country or more away from me. :sigh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Put it on a lift to figure out what was making that weird speed-dependent scraping noise.

Something in the gearbox. gently caress. Drained a little oil out of it and it was gritty and had visible metal flakes, despite the gear oil having less than 10k on it. Double gently caress.

To make it even better: Nissan only made a handful of M/T equipped Altimas compared to automatics; the M/T gearboxes go for 2x-5x as much as automatics on ebay. Add an easy 6-8 hours of shop labor to that (this is way beyond what I can tackle myself) and while it's apart, might as well replace the clutch, rear main seal, and that collapsed tranny mount, and I'm looking at an easy $1500.

It still shifts fine, it drives fine, but there's that nasty grinding noise somewhere in the output end of the gearbox, and the oil looks like it has 300k on it instead of 10k.

Debating if I should just cut my losses or save up and fix it. The car's worth about $3000 on a good day, and in the past year it's received a new battery, alternator, water pump, tires, LF axle, LF wheel bearing, and front brakes. If I sell it now I'd disclose that it needs a transmission sometime in the near future, though I think I could probably get an easy $1000 for it since the a/c is ice cold.

:smith:

On the plus side(s), my mechanic will let me make payments and cuts me a break on labor when I'm in a bind. And I somehow landed an interview with Fastenal, so at least I'll have a source of income soon.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 10, 2012

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
A first gen Altima box should work fine. The SE models will even have a worn out LSD in them.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

:smith:

What's the year and model again?

e: also, I thought you were handy with a wrench? Manuals are not very hard to disassemble and repair. I get that it's your DD, though, so downtime's bad.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I might have two first gen SE gearboxes (LSD). I'm not sure if they are there or not (one might be attached to the car still).

I could ship it from Michigan to save you a couple bucks on shipping.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Splizwarf posted:

What's the year and model again?

e: also, I thought you were handy with a wrench? Manuals are not very hard to disassemble and repair. I get that it's your DD, though, so downtime's bad.

99 Altima GXE (12/98 build date)

I'm handy with a wrench, and I even live right on 2 bus routes with a decent bus system. Unfortunately, I moved into university dorms in January, and they've already chewed me out once for working on the car here (and most of my tools are an hour away). I've never dropped a transmission on my own, and it's not something I'd like to do without a lift - but my mechanic has 3 lifts (1 person shop) and will let me jump in and help (if I bring beer). Even if I had the confidence to tackle this myself, I don't have the time - I'm finishing up 15 credit hours and taking 12 hours over the summer, and if this interview goes well, I'll be working 5 nights a week (10pm-2am) on top of that.

And yeah, a first gen will work fine, I think the only difference from 93-99 models (aside from the SE's LSD and possibly shorter final drive) is the VSS may have changed in 97. The 00-01 has a shorter final drive on all models.

Sockington, I'd definitely take you up on one of those. I'd be able to get it shipped to a commercial address, which should make shipping something that size a bit cheaper.

edit: VVVV that's a good idea, I had no idea Greyhound even had a station up here, but apparently they do have one about 15 minutes north of me. How much does a FWD manual gearbox weigh anyway?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 11, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Check Greyhound for freight, they're supposedly really cheap as long as you can deal with the caveats of having to get it to/from a Greyhound station.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm doing it tomorrow, but my exhaust came in for my 77 vette. I've got new 2.5" pipes from headers back. It's a true dual exhaust (gently caress the cat), and I've got some custom magnaflow mufflers. I'm also replacing a power steering hose that's leaking and finishing up fixing a few areas where the paint chipped.

Yarbo
Jun 5, 2005
Installed 94/95 spindles and brakes on my 1989 Mustang 5.0.
While in there I did new struts, ball joints, brake lines and caster/camber plates.

Next step, ditching the rear drums for discs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yarbo fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 11, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Oh drat, a "not in the driveway" rule, that sucks out loud every time. Sorry, man.

some texas redneck posted:

How much does a FWD manual gearbox weigh anyway?

We weighed a huge number of them a while back with freight shipping in mind. The difference in weight between FWD and RWD was negligible, and these weights include a pallet.
Average for:
an aluminum case: 200lbs
a cast iron case: 375lbs

Transmissions usually ship Class 85, although I don't know if Greyhound even uses classes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
New pipes installed, oil changed, and power steering hose replaced. I new the new exhaust would have an effect, but I'm shocked with just how much it did. The vette sounds amazing and it has a hell of a lot more power. I could always whip around a corner if I wanted, but I was smoking my tires when I punched it today.

TheAtomicMan
May 4, 2007

whats that over there

Henry Meowlins posted:

New pipes installed, oil changed, and power steering hose replaced. I new the new exhaust would have an effect, but I'm shocked with just how much it did. The vette sounds amazing and it has a hell of a lot more power. I could always whip around a corner if I wanted, but I was smoking my tires when I punched it today.

I noticed a big change going from the stock rear exhaust to sidepipes on mine as well. What'd you do for paint touchup? just one of those nail polish deals?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm still not done with the touchups. It had a cheap maaco job on it from the previous owner. I got a can of white gloss spraypaint that matches up just fine. I'm just sanding down and buffing it until it completely matches. Honestly I need to take it in and get a professional paint job done. I'm doing this as a stopgap until I decide how I want it painted.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Splizwarf posted:

Oh drat, a "not in the driveway" rule, that sucks out loud every time. Sorry, man.

Yeah, plus with it being on university property, they get even pissier than an HOA if you work on it. I've managed to sneak in a new belt, but got chewed out over it and told I'd get a ticket next time they saw me do anything more than change a tire or check the oil.

I'm really on the fence about fixing it - it needs either a timing chain guide or tensioner soon, and that's not going to be cheap to have done. The chain rattles for 2-3 seconds at startup, but it's quiet after that and the engine is solid otherwise. Doesn't burn a drop of oil, even with the leaks I don't have to add anything between 5k oil changes. I'm just finding it hard to justify dumping $1000+ into it at this point.

At least the bus system is decent here. :smith:

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

Excuse the bad photos, but all I have on me at the moment is my Blackberry with it's poverty-spec camera.

Finally got around to washing the Focus, using Drywash on the recomendation of someone who uses it religiously on his Porsche, and considering I don't have access to a hose in the flat I now live in, it served it's purpose very well. Came up awesome considering the last time I washed it was in September or so. Yes, I am a bad person.

My car is an awesome colour, and sometimes the light is perfect to show it off just right.

Also bought these for it. Keep seeing other Foci with mudflaps on and finally picked up a set of rears, since they just look right for some reason. OEM+ FTW. Going to try and fit them as soon as the weather picks back up again. Will get the front ones when I see a set cheap enough.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is that the factory colour?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yesterday I replaced the front shocks on my '66 Bonneville in hopes of correcting a rough ride issue. Whilst replacing the right shock, I found I couldn't thread it up through the center of the spring. Turns out I improperly installed the spring twelve years ago, causing it to be seated at the upper control arm at an angle and collapsing the first three coils. Gee: wonder why it was riding so rough :doh:

Tomorrow I send it to Meineke (local exhaust franchise) to have full dual exhaust installed, finally. It's on a single 2" pipe now, and where the wye comes together, both pipes were collapsed to 1" and stuffed into the following 2" pipe.

Looking forward to how this improves performance & sound since the motor was rebuilt in October 2010.

(edit) holy crap is it ever loud :flashfap:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 14, 2012

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is that the factory colour?

Yup, as far as I know. I've only ever seen one other Focus in the same colour and also a Fiesta from the same year.

Got some better photos now I have a proper camera again.

DAT rear end. (now with extra flaps.)

Shiny shiny. Yay.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

VolumeOverTalent posted:

Shiny shiny. Yay.

I'm so jealous of that blue. I tried to order a blue Sonic when I ordered my car but it wasn't available. Apparently it is now, which sucks cuz it's too late to change it, but oh well. Black is just as awesome.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Changed the brake fluid in my GTI and fixed the pad-wear indicator wire so no more light on the dash. Also changed the cam position sensor and no more CEL. My dash is now free of warning lights :feelsgood:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Working at my uncle's street sweeping/landscaping/paving/waste management shop has left my car filthy both inside and outside. I just bought all this crap, but I think its too hot and sunny out for the wax stuff, but I'm going to clean the interior and give her a wash anyways.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Oil change. Only three drops hit the garage floor.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Took the gauge cluster out again to replace the busted gears for the odometer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Resuscitation. :cheers: