Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Also, The Wasp is seriously just the worst.

Maybe in comics, but I like the animated version. She seems so infectiously pumped to be an Avenger. Everybody else treats it like a job. Well, except for Hulk, he seems pretty excited to get into fights as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
One day last year it hit me that my D&D characters are basically Hank and Janet from EMH.

FutureBoy
Jan 18, 2003

"Listen, no offense, but if I'm getting taken down, man, it ain't gonna be from fuckin' Speedball!"

General Ironicus posted:

One day last year it hit me that my D&D characters are basically Hank and Janet from EMH.

So there's a lot of in-party fighting?

(Booooooo! Boooo, FutureBoy! Boooooo!)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TwoPair posted:

Maybe in comics, but I like the animated version. She seems so infectiously pumped to be an Avenger. Everybody else treats it like a job. Well, except for Hulk, he seems pretty excited to get into fights as well.

Yeah, Wasp is pretty great in the cartoon.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

AzraelNewtype posted:

Yeah, no. I could never hit my 30s skip button fast enough back when that awful thing was there. Not that I listen to the narration either, but that's just about not wanting to waste time.

You and that guy that agreed with you are crazy.

Totally agree, the theme is poo poo and will never grow on me.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
I love the theme! But my friends generally agree that I have terrible taste in music, movies, and pretty much everything. So, y'know, take that for what it's worth.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's not a terrible theme. Kinda grows on you. Isn't it the kind of poo poo kids listen to these days?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Die Laughing posted:

It's not a terrible theme. Kinda grows on you. Isn't it the kind of poo poo kids listen to these days?

Yeah, and at least they have an original theme instead of just using a generic pop-rock song.

I hate the spoken intro and hope they get rid of it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I at least like that they went with the 'day unlike any other' for the narration. I've always loved that wording from the Avengers' origin.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Die Laughing posted:

If by these days you mean about 10 years ago then yes.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
I stumbled across this today. Thomas Perkins, a character designer for EMH season 1 has posted a number of fictitious stills to his blog: http://thomasperkins.blogspot.com/

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Love that one of Wasp as Captain Universe. That's probably the most bad rear end thing they could possibly do with Janet.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

SaintFu posted:

I stumbled across this today. Thomas Perkins, a character designer for EMH season 1 has posted a number of fictitious stills to his blog: http://thomasperkins.blogspot.com/

I didn't read the "fictitious" part and instantly freaked out in glee. Oh well, the pictures are still cool.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If a kid's show ever managed to get a character named Hellstrom, Son of Satan on it... well, that would just be awesome.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

If I were to see an animated Omega the Unknown on TV, I think I could die happy right then and there.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I just saw this week's GL cartoon. Saint Walker manages to hold his own against a Red Lantern with only his ninja training. Then Mogo easily destroys an asteroid that Kilowog, Hal and Aia combined could only slow down. There doesn't seem to be a proper sense of scale here.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Baron Bifford posted:

I just saw this week's GL cartoon. Saint Walker manages to hold his own against a Red Lantern with only his ninja training. Then Mogo easily destroys an asteroid that Kilowog, Hal and Aia combined could only slow down. There doesn't seem to be a proper sense of scale here.
I haven't seen the episode, but isn't Mogo a loving planet? That doesn't sound unrealistic (well... you know what I mean) at all.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I know it sounds absurd for me to nitpick the metaphysics of a loving superhero cartoon, but I figured the power of the GL ring was tied to the user's willpower, not his physical size. The episode basically implies that Mogo has more willpower than those three combined.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I always thought it was a little bit of both.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Mogo would also probably be a bit more experienced since he's a planet and they tend to stick around.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

thebardyspoon posted:

Mogo would also probably be a bit more experienced since he's a planet and they tend to stick around.

Well he does refuses to socialize.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Mogo is like THE gold standard of using the power of will. He's probably the most powerful lantern unless somebody has taken up the mantle of Ion.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

Mogo is like THE gold standard of using the power of will. He's probably the most powerful lantern unless somebody has taken up the mantle of Ion.

I don't know about Mogos origin but I imagine a planet that can will itself to life and control its elements would make for a natural wielder of the ring.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Baron Bifford posted:

I know it sounds absurd for me to nitpick the metaphysics of a loving superhero cartoon, but I figured the power of the GL ring was tied to the user's willpower, not his physical size. The episode basically implies that Mogo has more willpower than those three combined.

Willpower is already a vague concept, but I figure part of the strength of a ringbearer's constructs is how believable the constructs are to the ringbearer, and that in turn is partly a function of scale. If you had a ring, you would innately disbelieve your own creation of an aircraft carrier construct and need some strong willpower to back it up, as opposed to a small shield or sword. You don't need much willpower as a human to conjure up a construct the size of a mote of dust and similarly, in relative terms, a planet shouldn't need much effort to conjure up something to destroy an asteroid.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Lobok posted:

Willpower is already a vague concept, but I figure part of the strength of a ringbearer's constructs is how believable the constructs are to the ringbearer, and that in turn is partly a function of scale. If you had a ring, you would innately disbelieve your own creation of an aircraft carrier construct and need some strong willpower to back it up, as opposed to a small shield or sword. You don't need much willpower as a human to conjure up a construct the size of a mote of dust and similarly, in relative terms, a planet shouldn't need much effort to conjure up something to destroy an asteroid.
I... uh... that makes no sense to me whatsoever.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah Mogo is pretty much tippy-top non Ion lantern. He runs the power ring recruitment network, while maintaining Eden planet status and occasionally laying the smackdown on wayward comets, it fits rather well. Heck I remember when Kyle was the only lantern there was a small arc that had an unconscious semi-powerless Mogo engineering a race of creatures out of his crust and leftover will power to gently caress up some douchey colonists who landed on him. Tough to match creating life in your sleep on the willpower scale, even as a pilot with anger issues.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Well, I can't really blame Bruce Timm for doing it this way, for it is natural for us to think the size = power. Especially since his constructs would be barely noticeable if they were on the same scale as Hal's (when you want a planet to shoot a laser beam, you expect a freaking Death Star). And maybe Mogo's mind is more powerful than a human's. But I do wish that we could see Hal do crazy poo poo like blowing asteroids. All these two seem capable of doing is conjuring hammers and other little things.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Baron Bifford posted:

I... uh... that makes no sense to me whatsoever.

In simpler terms, I would think it's harder to create and sustain something bigger than you than something smaller than you. Since an asteroid is smaller than Mogo and bigger than Hal, it follows that Mogo should find it a lot easier than Hal to destroy an asteroid.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Plus, you know, he's Mogo. He's a loving planet. Does he even have a power ring as we would term it, or does he have something more specialized? He can probably bring a ton more power to bare all in one place, since his battery is likely part of his loving core. He's an Alpha Lantern without all the issues, an entire planet's worth of willpower controlling the most powerful weapon in the universe, and he's used to working on scales most beings can't even comprehend.

Plus, you know, he's Mogo.

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!
I noticed on the narration in the EMH intro that Thor is not a "god" of thunder but a "prince". Did they seriously switch that out? Come the gently caress on.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Yeah, but that's a pretty easy sacrifice to make

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

demolition rickshaw posted:

I noticed on the narration in the EMH intro that Thor is not a "god" of thunder but a "prince". Did they seriously switch that out? Come the gently caress on.
Probably trying to cut off things like,
"Well if he's a GOD then why doesn't he..."

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!

FilthyImp posted:

Probably trying to cut off things like,
"Well if he's a GOD then why doesn't he..."

Never seemed to be an issue before!

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Notice they ALWAYS refer to them as "Asgardians". Like, every point where they can. It sounds sort of unnatural.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

demolition rickshaw posted:

Never seemed to be an issue before!

I won't lie - I always, always thought it was dumb that an immortal god would be chilling with these guys. I'm sorry, there's just no way around it. Even using the ever-popular D&D definition of god where they're just levelled-up immortal heroes.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
Well Tony did tell Reed he found a scientific explanation for everything about Asgard.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Nilbop posted:

I won't lie - I always, always thought it was dumb that an immortal god would be chilling with these guys. I'm sorry, there's just no way around it. Even using the ever-popular D&D definition of god where they're just levelled-up immortal heroes.

Why? What could be more entertaining than hanging out with super heroes? Plus he likes helping people.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Also, Asgardians are not immortal

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Also, Asgardians are not immortal

I knew this was going to come up but damnit as far as fictional long-lived races go they are immortal as far as the humans are concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The Asgardians also take no part in human affairs, manipulate Earth's natural pocesses, and have no more worshipers, which are arguments for them not being some dictionary definition gods.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 9, 2012

• Locked thread