Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Makaris
May 4, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, this. Way to read the OP or even just the readme of the mod. You're not supposed to turn everything on, and the specific issues you're having are from the "PnP" mod, which is misnamed because it's not really like PnP at all, it's just retarded-rear end hard.

Whoops! I just did the 'full installation' regular option. Didn't realize that also meant it was the "Break-The-Game" installation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, you gotta be careful with what you choose. Even something as small as the Revised Histories conflicts with the Camarilla Edition 1.4, for example, even with the installer.

Though the installer can also do some really funny things without quite breaking the game. In my run with it, I included, among other things, the Comp Mod Lite and the Heather skin. Let me just say, the Heather skin was not meant for following you around. It has these really weird physics. Plus the cutscenes make companions just creepily stand there watching you. Mostly noticeable in the Clan Quest Mod's Kuei-Jin quest, which probably added the most cutscenes.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I still love this game.

I think I once dreamt that there was once a Wraith: The Oblivion themed game...

This was a dream right? That's never existed right?

I'm seriously asking and not being a smart rear end here. If there really is a wraith I want it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I'd expect a Werewolf and Mage game before wraith...though I'm not sure how Mage would translate to a pc rpg.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I seem to have broken my game. I'm using the Clan Quest Mod 3.0 with only mods that are compatible with each other, so no conflictions, but when I try to leave the Ventrue Tower, the game refuses to finish loading, no matter how long I wait.

Anyone here have any idea how to fix this? Or do I have to start over?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Unlike some people who hold a baseless fear of being shadowed by black men in disreputable clothing, I now hold the perfectly legitimate fear of being approached by pale white guys in business suits.

SleazyBakeOven
Oct 4, 2011

Please, talk to me about Eberron! And by Eberron I mean Warforged. Really I just wanna talk about the Warforged.
im thinking of downloading The Final Nights mod. is it worth downloading, and if
I download it, is it possible to switch it back the the "Standard" game?

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
I loved this game, then I came to the hotel part, said "gently caress that poo poo" and closed the game. haven't played the game since then, and its been 3 years now. It's the only reason I can't play it.

:(

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
There's a cheat to skip that level you can enter in the console. It's "OceanHouseQuestComplete()". I find it funny that on the major cheat code sites they include the cheat for just that one mission.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Another option is to play it with the sound off in a brightly lit house with other people around and kittens and jump over the part in the stairs that collapses so you don't end up in the basement and also make someone else play it. It's honestly not much trouble.

Plus if you only made it that far, you've missed 85% of the greatness.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

SleazyBakeOven posted:

im thinking of downloading The Final Nights mod. is it worth downloading, and if
I download it, is it possible to switch it back the the "Standard" game?

Not without a fresh install, you can't go back to a standard game really. Unless the mod comes with an uninstaller, which I haven't played The Final Nights so I don't know if it does or not.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Azmodaii posted:

I loved this game, then I came to the hotel part, said "gently caress that poo poo" and closed the game. haven't played the game since then, and its been 3 years now. It's the only reason I can't play it.

I'm absolutely horrible with horror games and I didn't find that segment very scary.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Azmodaii posted:

What I did was turn all the sound off, and cranked my music nice and loud. I made sure to play it during the day with all the blinds open.

I only jumped a couple times.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The second time through I just turned on noclip. The "goal" is near the top of the house, a room with a ruined floor and a chair at the end.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
First time I played it, it was 2am, I was at my parents' place wearing headphones, their large, old Victorian house was empty, and it was a loving windy New England winter night. Scariest parts for me, or at least the part that always weirded me out were the times you'd come outside on the upper level and look down at the other end and see... something. That and the audio, oh good the audio. :gonk:

No way in hell I could sleep after that segment. For like 2 days.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
The Ocean House Hotel is a masterful piece of quest design and I relish replaying it as I did the first time I played it; at night, headphones, lights off, and stoned as gently caress (Incidentally this is the best way to play Amnesia, can't wait for the next game of theirs). While it's not scary like the first time, the whole sequence is just soaking in atmosphere.

Also, those of you saying about how the MMO's taking a lot of direction from Bloodlines or whatever, yeah, sure, great, that's scant comfort to people who favour single player RPGs for a large variety of reasons, or the people who don't play MMOs for an equally large variety of reasons (I'm both). I agree with many of you that this setting is absolutely loving ripe for a good RPG, it's tragic there isn't one. If there was a kickstarter my money would be out of my account before I could say gently caress YES.

I'm contemplating another playthrough of the game, its been about five or six months since I completed it last (First time was Brujah, that second time was Malkavian). I'm tempted to go Nosferatu because it's one of the more unique clans to play through with, but I was heavily stealth orientated with the Malkavian anyway and I kinda wanna gently caress poo poo up and piss LaCroix off a lot; any clan recommendations? Also, are there any new mods or mod updates worth my time?

It's irritating to see all these mods that claim to add new clans and poo poo, when really, you pick the clan, get "new" powers that have the same effects or use the same resources as poo poo already in the game, no one in the game recognizes you as that clan, and will refer to you as another clan, and you look just like one of the other clan's models as well. While I realize this is one of the hardest things to mod in, most likely, couldn't you do it? For it to remain immersive and not have characters in the game with voice acted lines "saying" voiceless dialogue, you could replace Jack in the tutorial sequence with an original character for the different clans, with his own voice; which would make the mod itself even more interesting.

In-game characters giving you clan specific quests? Uh, e-mails, notes? Surely when you return to them for rewards, their existing quest reward dialogue could be spliced adequately? People've turned NPCs into companions in other games doing the same.

I know nothing about modding or the scope of the difficulty, but I love the setting, and Bloodlines is all I've got; I'd love to see it get as much modding attention as possible, really.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Tremere would be a good clan for a third playthrough because you get some extra content with Strauss and you can definitely gently caress poo poo up.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I'd say Tremere is one of those that anyone should do a run through of. Not nearly as important as Malkavian, but I would definitely recommend a Tremere run. Course those are my two favorites, so I may be biased. A Nosferatu really would be very similar to a stealth Malk, however.

Also would definitely echo the praise for the Ocean House, it outright freaked me out the first time, I dreaded the second, and several runs later it still manages to be very atmospheric.

While we're praising the game and talking about clans, I gotta say that the "Malkavian experience" is one of the most unique, original, and entertaining gaming experiences I've ever had. I really wish companies these days had the creativity and the balls to rewrite half the dialog for one specific class. Especially reading a little bit of the lore about Malks, I just find them very interesting and hilarious. The one tidbit I remembered reading is that how for most clans when they have a clan meeting or what have you, the Primogen calls everyone together. When its time for a Malkavian meet, they all just sort of show up at the same place at the same time, not knowing why until they got there.

Damnit you guys, now I'm gonna have to play this game again. Just gotta pick a class...

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Viperix posted:

I'd say Tremere is one of those that anyone should do a run through of. Not nearly as important as Malkavian, but I would definitely recommend a Tremere run. Course those are my two favorites, so I may be biased. A Nosferatu really would be very similar to a stealth Malk, however.

Also would definitely echo the praise for the Ocean House, it outright freaked me out the first time, I dreaded the second, and several runs later it still manages to be very atmospheric.

While we're praising the game and talking about clans, I gotta say that the "Malkavian experience" is one of the most unique, original, and entertaining gaming experiences I've ever had. I really wish companies these days had the creativity and the balls to rewrite half the dialog for one specific class. Especially reading a little bit of the lore about Malks, I just find them very interesting and hilarious. The one tidbit I remembered reading is that how for most clans when they have a clan meeting or what have you, the Primogen calls everyone together. When its time for a Malkavian meet, they all just sort of show up at the same place at the same time, not knowing why until they got there.

Damnit you guys, now I'm gonna have to play this game again. Just gotta pick a class...

It's the little things they do for the Malks as well. Not just the dialogue being different, but it's also spoilerish, as the Malk has a natural clairvoyance that comes with their insanity. And the whispering voices that warn you of danger or is someone is being shady or if you can trust someone. It's all so perfect to the character.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Bodnoirbabe posted:

It's the little things they do for the Malks as well. Not just the dialogue being different, but it's also spoilerish, as the Malk has a natural clairvoyance that comes with their insanity. And the whispering voices that warn you of danger or is someone is being shady or if you can trust someone. It's all so perfect to the character.

But even then, the real genius is that only most of their insight is actually true, some of it really is just insane rambling nonsense. They usually don't spell out to the player which is which, either.

Also that argument with the stop sign, and the fact that you lose the argument, is one of my favorite bits of dialog in any game.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Viperix posted:

But even then, the real genius is that only most of their insight is actually true, some of it really is just insane rambling nonsense. They usually don't spell out to the player which is which, either.

Also that argument with the stop sign, and the fact that you lose the argument, is one of my favorite bits of dialog in any game.

Malkavian dialog is awesome. I remember reading an interview with, I think it was Mitsoda, where he explained that he wrote most of the Malkavian dialog while he was practically going nuts with overwork and sleep deprivation trying to meet deadlines. He said it helped him get into the proper mindset. It really did.

e: Here it is --

Brian Mitsoda posted:

I generally did it last, when there wasn’t a whole lot of time left. So between lack of sleep, being overworked, and possessing an unhealthy state-of-mind, the conditions were ideal for writing the Malkavians. The one thing I wanted to do with them is illustrate madness without it being completely Looney Tunes. It’s too easy to play crazy for laughs.

e2: Even though I know it's impossible, every time I visit KickStarter I hope to find a proper sequel to this game. I miss it so much. It doesn't even need to be a White Wolf game or about vampire, or anything. It just needs to do what THIS game did. Why doesn't anyone do that?

speng31b fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 29, 2012

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

octoroon posted:

e2: Even though I know it's impossible, every time I visit KickStarter I hope to find a proper sequel to this game. I miss it so much. It doesn't even need to be a White Wolf game or about vampire, or anything. It just needs to do what THIS game did. Why doesn't anyone do that?

Most of troika's staff jumped over to Obsidian. So play...pretty much anything they've made except dungeon siege 3 honestly.

(Not that Dungeon Siege is bad, it's just meant to be more of a diablo type game than an indepth wrpg with branching paths).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Most of troika's staff jumped over to Obsidian. So play...pretty much anything they've made except dungeon siege 3 honestly.

(Not that Dungeon Siege is bad, it's just meant to be more of a diablo type game than an indepth wrpg with branching paths).

Fallout: New Vegas is sort of close to a V:TM - B sort of feeling, and there's no question that the quality of the writing in Obsidian games is up there with the quality of the writing in V:TM - B, but in terms of games that have the same sort of structure (free-roaming in various areas to find secrets/sidequests/talk to people, plus more structured missions that you approach in the style you choose, combined with a narrative where you get to make choices and stuff), the newest Deus Ex game is pretty close. Other than that the field is pretty barren :( Although Dishonored looks like it might be in the same vein.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Alpha Protocol is a pretty good example of that style too if you can overlook some bugs.

It's ironically linear and yet not, in that the number of branching paths the game has is really absurd and is impressive as hell, but each mission in and of itself is incredibly linear with no real "hub world".

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Fallout: New Vegas is sort of close to a V:TM - B sort of feeling, and there's no question that the quality of the writing in Obsidian games is up there with the quality of the writing in V:TM - B, but in terms of games that have the same sort of structure (free-roaming in various areas to find secrets/sidequests/talk to people, plus more structured missions that you approach in the style you choose, combined with a narrative where you get to make choices and stuff), the newest Deus Ex game is pretty close. Other than that the field is pretty barren :( Although Dishonored looks like it might be in the same vein.

I'm pretty sure Dishonored is more linear than that though. I read an interview a while back and the only hub area is the player character's lair. Its structure sounds more like Hitman or Alpha Protocol.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

DemonNick posted:

I'm pretty sure Dishonored is more linear than that though. I read an interview a while back and the only hub area is the player character's lair. Its structure sounds more like Hitman or Alpha Protocol.

The levels are arranged in a linear fashion but it sounds like there's a fair amount of free roaming around each area. I mean, if your definition of "linear" is "the levels come in a certain order," then Alpha Protocol is less linear than V:TM - B or Dishonored or Hitman or Deus Ex. I think what most people mean when they say "linear" is "there's only one right path," though, and in that sense, Alpha Protocol has you finishing the same missions in the same ways every time (well, more or less: there's a huge amount of variation compared to other games, but compared to Deus Ex or something you don't have much choice in which door to go through or which guards to fight or which people to talk to).

I guess "linear" is not specific enough. We need a word to talk about the order in which you play the missions and a word to talk about how on-rails you are during a mission. Alpha Protocol scores really high in the first category (you can do anything in any order) but only OK in the second category (the final Taiwan mission in AP has lots of parts where you're either going to shoot or stealth your way through the exact same way each time). Meanwhile, Deus Ex scores terribly in the first category (you don't get any choice about what order you hit each hub in) but off the charts in the second category. V:TM - B scores slightly well in the first category (the cab driver lets you swap between hubs) and pretty well in the second category, at least in the hub-based missions. Dishonored looks like it's going for slightly worse than V:TM - B in the first category and about the same as V:TM - B in the second category.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
It's still pretty mysterious on what Dishonored is going to be like. From what I've read from previews, it sounds like it will be mission based like Thief and Hitman. So basically a small map, but it's still very freeroam. I also heard you can get side quests (side mission) as well, so it's not entirely like those games too.

RPS posted:

There are, we’re told eight or nine different broad methods of completing a level. These were but two, and both were fatal. Another would have been to look for side missions in the streets around the Golden Cat – which, despite being a multi-tier building filled with side rooms and cellars and surrounded by gardens, constitutes “less than half” of the level’s overall space. One side mission opens up the roof path that allowed a stealthier entrance to the cat, but another would have involved doing favours for a local gangster and thus persuading him to help Corvo’s cause.

I don't think the game will be entirely related with VTMB, but still something to keep an eye on.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Really it depends on what you like from V:TM - B:

Did you like great conversations? Go with Alpha Protocol, sort of go with the new Deus Ex game, and also check out New Vegas.

Did you like building your character the way you wanted so that you could tackle challenges in different ways? Go with New Vegas or maybe Dishonored coming up.

Did you like the free roaming experience where you got to explore the nooks and crannies of the city? Deus Ex 3 and maybe New Vegas.

Did you like the amazing voice acting, facial animation, and general characterization in a game filled with some of the strongest performances ever? You're poo poo out of luck because if a triple-A massive budget title comes out these days and the lip syncing is anything other than a joke, it's basically a gift from god.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Are those kinds of animations too time consuming to produce or do they come with a huge performance hit, or something? If Valve can make sure your Left 4 Dead buddies's character models emote properly when you accidentally shoot them in the back, why is it so difficult for even conversation-focused titles to include them?

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

The Dark One posted:

Are those kinds of animations too time consuming to produce or do they come with a huge performance hit, or something? If Valve can make sure your Left 4 Dead buddies's character models emote properly when you accidentally shoot them in the back, why is it so difficult for even conversation-focused titles to include them?

We live in a world where a company with functionally infinite money can make a huge AAA game with massive hype that has worse animations, models, graphics, voice acting, and general polish, and more bugs, than multiple eastern European games with budgets smaller than 10 million dollars that came out around the same time, several times in a row, and have these games called GOTY by every other gaming publication.
I don't even bother asking anymore.

Electric Pope fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 30, 2012

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Or you can moan about the current crop of games and pretend that we used to live in a time of perfection until people kept buying "popular games!"

Your talking in the VtMB thread mate, I wouldn't start calling out "bugs" at any point. As much as I love this game the entire ending is handled so poorly that the gloves have not just come off, they have been replaced with bees.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
Oh yeah of course, aside from acting, writing, and maybe combat in the case of Bloodlines, (which I guess is actually a lot) Troika has never done anything any better than Bethesda. And I definitely don't think popular games are all bad, or that they've ever been any better except for maybe a few exciting years. I just think if you're going to ask about acting, you should maybe wonder why some of the biggest RPG developers have arguably some of the worst production values in general first.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Fair enough, been reading too much of grognards.txt over the past few days, sorry.

I just really thought the ending (as soon as you hit chinatown really) became a bit ridiculous, everything felt more forced, with a lot of the rest of the game there is a sense of dread and fear. Once you go to chinatown you have gathered enough items to make yourself into a battletank, it all becomes kind of easy.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

The Dark One posted:

I think part of it is just how amazing the Source engine is for facial animation. And the difficulty invovled in making good animations is probably another big part of it. But really, I don't know.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

It's a mix of things.
If you don't have good mo-cap technology, good animation is difficult. With how good graphics are today you notice more of these awkward imperfections in expression (both facial and body language).
Bloodlines animation is good because its art style is not all that realistic. It seems to be but the faces and hands are in very large proportion to the body, it's just not so over the top. This allows them to do very exaggerated animations that are more expressive than something that could be done in say Deus Ex: HR.

As for Bethesda titles, their animations have always sucked, even back to morrowind the walking animation is just embarrassing.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Or you can moan about the current crop of games and pretend that we used to live in a time of perfection until people kept buying "popular games!"

Your talking in the VtMB thread mate, I wouldn't start calling out "bugs" at any point. As much as I love this game the entire ending is handled so poorly that the gloves have not just come off, they have been replaced with bees.

Ill forgive the ending seeing as Activision didnt let Troika work on the game for i think around 3-8 months?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I also seem to remember hearing that Valve was not terribly cooperative when it came to sharing engine updates and AI routines with Troika.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
Sorry if I'm retreading ground (I checked a few pages on each side of the thread--honest!), but is sneaking hilariously broken with the CQ/Camar mod? I have a Gangrel with 1 sneak, and I'm literally running into people and walking right in front of them while sneaking, and they are completely not seeing me. I beat it a few years back in patched vanilla, but this is my first time through the mod.

Maybe something is just broken on my install.

Granted, they DO see me on occasion and will attack, but I ran through the first mansion in sneak, and I was only seen once.

Anyway, after this run through, I may try a few other classes to see how they've changed. I've been stocking up points the whole game rather than spending them to add an extra layer of difficulty.

Final Nights is up next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

LordLeckie posted:

Ill forgive the ending seeing as Activision didnt let Troika work on the game for i think around 3-8 months?

You might be thinking of Sega and Obsidian, with Alpha Protocol. The developers had handed in the code and moved on to other projects, and Sega just sat on the game for months before releasing it.

Troika worked on Bloodlines right up to (and a bit past) the point where everyone got laid off. They worked on the first patch in that gap between going gold and the retail release, and a few people stuck around to help get the second patch out, even after they'd lost their jobs.

• Locked thread