Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

Yeah the book I just got said that 16kgs/35lbs is a good starting weight for the average male.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

So I'm doing my first pure striking competition in less than a month. Its a novice amateur boxing event with three-two minute rounds. Over the past 4 years or so I've done quite a bit of kickboxing and boxing for mma, but never traditional boxing. My biggest problem I'm getting when I'm sparring is being able to land right hands and avoiding overreaching with my punches. It seems whenever I try a 1-2 I am way off with my 2 and I end up reaching to try to catch them with it. Any tips?

Hey me too, I never hit with the right cross just "as is". And it used to be my best punch. First off, box lower to take away that overreaching. You are used to MMA and your stance is too upright, too high. When you box low, hang your rear end lower to the ground, you are firmly planted on your both legs when you throw and thus won't over extend and "lunge" forward out of balance. When you overreach, your balance is impaired, again which stops you from throwing combinations. You have to re-set your stance all the time. This sucks, and your opponent will use this time to punch you. I guess you noticed. This is a common problem with people who transition from something to just boxing. They don't box low enough. MMA guys seem to think in terms of one or two punches to start a TKO sequence or even get a KO and LEAP into their punches. The boxing right cross is not quite the same punch. You must learn to throw it to the utmost distance without impairing your balance, launch it like a rocket going in an absolutely straight line while rotating your body and firmly sitting on your both legs. Boxers should think in terms of landing a couple of hundred strikes instead and see where you stand at that point.

The right cross takes more time to travel to your target and is further away than the jab, hence it has to be lightning fast (and yours, or mine, isn't) to connect in a 1-2. Use that combination to set up for something else or close the distance.

Set it up. If your enemy retreats before your barrage of 1-2's take him to the ropes and punch we he can't escape. Or throw two jabs to get his hands up, and a low right cross to the body ducking under his counter, come up with a left and then wail away with that right cross.

Be passive for 20 seconds, look tired, lure him in, when he comes with straights surge forward and use the right cross or 1-2 as a counter.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I moved recently, and lost access to a washing machine. Does anyone have any tips on handwashing a gi?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Meat Recital posted:

I moved recently, and lost access to a washing machine. Does anyone have any tips on handwashing a gi?

Do you have access to a laundromat? That's what I did when I didn't have a washer. My apartment just smelled a lot more because I would wait until I had 2-3 dirty gis and then wash them all at once.

Handwashing a gi sounds like the complete opposite of fun. You'd probably have to use a bathtub and stomp around on it.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Meat Recital posted:

Does anyone have any tips on handwashing a gi?

Yes. It fails horribly. The effort to really wash it is tantamount to a lot of rolling, but on the other hand it will improve your grip and forearm endurance!

Take it is as a training session.

You might even roll around in the shower, grappling with your gi covered in laundry detergent. It's kinda like rolling with no-gi because the detergent is so slippery and simulates sweat.

edit: how the gently caress did pre 20th century Judokas and Jiu-Jitsu practitioners wash their gi :stare:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
they probably gave it to their wives who spent literally all day doing that crap. Or gave it to their wives who gave it to their servants if they were rich.

...Just get quarters and go to a laundromat.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Now you're all making me miss having access to laundromats. Being able to use the same gi several times the same day and have it newly washed every time is a luxury I'll not have again soon. I don't have a dryer, and unless it's industrial grade, I'd be afraid of throwing a gi in there for fear of breaking the poor machine.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bohemian Nights posted:

I don't have a dryer, and unless it's industrial grade, I'd be afraid of throwing a gi in there for fear of breaking the poor machine.

I always air dry my gis once I have them shrunk down to the size I want.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Yeah, that's what I do too, but it just takes hella longer than paying three dollars to have some nice lady wash it for you and have it ready and dried in a couple of hours.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
When I do my goblet squats, should I jump at the end to work on :siren:explosiveness:siren:? Or should I stick to doing it normally?

When I'm doing tai otoshi, should my right wrist be completely straight? I find its all bent back and awkward.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

When I'm doing tai otoshi, should my right wrist be completely straight? I find its all bent back and awkward.

It should be straight or foreword. Try wrapping the lapel around your forearm as you twist in. That will take the pressure off your wrist.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Thoguh posted:

It should be straight or foreword. Try wrapping the lapel around your forearm as you twist in. That will take the pressure off your wrist.

Great tip. Thanks.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Okay guys, no more Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee or David Carradine BS for me any more. I made a new year's resolution to start learning martial arts and I'm already 4 months behind. So I decided to go with what most of the people here seemed to approve: muay thai + judo.

edit: actually probably a dumb question.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 8, 2012

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
That's not really a question one can answer without having been to the gym, but there is no inherent negative to doing both at the same gym...

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
If you like the people and the instructors you'll probably be better off doing it all at one place. There's probably some member overlap between the two groups and not having to travel to two different places several times a week is an obvious boon

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Ligur posted:

edit: how the gently caress did pre 20th century Judokas and Jiu-Jitsu practitioners wash their gi :stare:

The gi was introduced in the 20th century (or at the earliest at the end of the 19th century).

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Crosspost from Grappling Thread:
Here is a video of me getting americanad, it crackled so loud the ref stepped in, didn'T even need to tap, pretty neat, it happens around 4:55. Pretty uneventful, until that. Went for the half guard quite a lot, trying to get the underhook and take the back, didn't really manage to hit that though. Not impressed with my performance. But then again my ankle looked like this
two weeks ago so I wasn't really comfortable shooting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyT-_Zx1t4A

Also here is my first match of the competition, missing the first half for some reason. Got my back taken but rolled us out of bounds so we were reset in that position where the video starts. I was trying a calf crusher at 2:30 but the ref told me they're not allowed, so I stopped going for it. Later it turned out they were allowed actually, so in my mind I could have tapped that dude for sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok49R2Z64fg

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Nierbo posted:

When I do my goblet squats, should I jump at the end to work on :siren:explosiveness:siren:? Or should I stick to doing it normally?

Jump squats are usually programmed with many fewer reps (like, 1-3 reps per set) than goblet squats, which I've usually seen used as a warmup or muscular endurance movement.

Thibaudeau, Prilepin and Verkhoshansky all have pretty interesting stuff to say about loaded jumps. You might wanna check them out.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

So I'm doing my first pure striking competition in less than a month. Its a novice amateur boxing event with three-two minute rounds. Over the past 4 years or so I've done quite a bit of kickboxing and boxing for mma, but never traditional boxing. My biggest problem I'm getting when I'm sparring is being able to land right hands and avoiding overreaching with my punches. It seems whenever I try a 1-2 I am way off with my 2 and I end up reaching to try to catch them with it. Any tips?

try a 1-1-1-2

step in on your 2.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Anyone here have experience starting martial arts clubs/schools?

I'm looking right now at getting a grappling club (gi BJJ and Judo, Wrestling, no-gi sub) started at my university through our student union (who handles all the university clubs). I havent been training long enough to be an instructor so I imagine we'll just go off an open-mat/peer-teaching style environment. The city Im in has 2 Judo schools, a spattering of BJJ/MMA schools and high school wrestling. Right now Im looking into what we need in terms of insurance/waivers, regulations, and gym space/mats available. Hopefully our university gym has wrestling mats.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to start this? I have absolutely no idea who would be interested. I need 10 signatures to actually start this thing in the Fall, so I guess I'll make up posters for the summer semester, going into the fall for those interested. As for rules, I imagine basic gym/club etiquette. We get a $250 starter fee through the student union that can go towards events, fundraisers what have you, but the gym space is free, so most of that would probably go into posters, maybe hosting events in the future? We're not allowed to charge any sort of contributions from the members as per our Club guidelines, so theres that to understand too.

Rules I imagine are basic grappling etiquette (tapping, verbal agreements on what is allowed, isnt). I hope to get some local instructors to maybe do volunteer some seminars on Judo, BJJ, Wrestling takedowns from HS instructors, etc.

I also toyed with an MMA or Martial Arts club but I thought this would be harder to do because 1.) Being in Canada, MMA can be sometimes seen, especially by university administration as some cage fight club or something. 2.)I mean, I wouldnt not allow anyone who's interested in coming but I dont really want Karate, TKD whatever type people being the regular members, but rather different grapplers who want to train and improve. And, with no striking, and avoiding the whole "fighting" aspect of it, I can better market it to the student union as being a sports club (Focusing on the grappling sport, instead of it as a martial art). This seems to be the first type of club at the school, and the only other real sports club other than a running club. So it might even get completely shut down, if so I'll fight my way through whatever boards or appeals I'd have to do. Anyways, thoughts, opinions from others?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Getting a club started on campus is doable. I have done it and I know other people who have. But it sounds like you have a lot of work to do if you haven't even found out if there is mat space available at your university and you would be depending on outside instructors to hold seminars. Especially since, for everyone but the wrestling coaches, those seminars would be taking business away from their own clubs.

The university might also have a problem for insurance reasons to approve a club that doesn't have a qualified instructor.

Why not just join one of the existing non-school sanctioned clubs in the area?

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Thibaudeau, Prilepin and Verkhoshansky...

One of these things are not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong.

:downsrim:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Was doing some pad work and I don't know if I missed, his arms are too long, or if he was holding the pads wrong. But I caught an elbow with my foot. Ow.

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005
Do you boxers/kickboxers do weights or stick to bodyweight stuff?

I've been doing bag work for a couple years, and sparring/PT for about 3 months now. I hate doing weights, I like bodyweight stuff though, but I'm worried it's not enough. Classes generally have strength interspaced with bag rounds, and my PT often does strengthwork with me. Is that enough?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I don't really bother but I'm poo poo and lazy

Got kicked square in the nuts today, holy poo poo, my cheap-rear end plastic cup was zero use

Cannot wait for that steel one to arrive

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Jump squats are usually programmed with many fewer reps (like, 1-3 reps per set) than goblet squats, which I've usually seen used as a warmup or muscular endurance movement.

Thibaudeau, Prilepin and Verkhoshansky all have pretty interesting stuff to say about loaded jumps. You might wanna check them out.

Gotcha. I found a lot of really good poo poo fromthat last guy but not much on the first two btw.

Xguard, I'm doing those lying leg raises you were talking about like a year ago. drat thats a good exercise.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Nice, I've been doing that ab wheel thing in boxing. It's a real killer,I can't even do two clean reps yet.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Honest, serious, but very silly question:

I want to get a sword rack for my pickup truck. Any recommendations?

I'm going to be starting sword forms in a month or two, depending on when I finish our staff form. I was thinking about where in the house I want to put a wall rack for my staff and swords (my tai chi gwan teaches a staff, dao, jian, and spear form; I've got wooden practice swords now, waiting to metal versions for when I've actually finished learning the forms) but the more I think about it the more I think just keeping my practice swords in the truck would be best. Obviously, though, there are so many gun racks out there for sale that the search terms are a bit clouded. Anyone else done this? Would a gun rack be sufficient?

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
I just went to the National Collegiate Taekwondo Association Championships and got kicked in the head five times by a former national champion.

It was so inspiring. :allears:

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Xguard86 posted:

Nice, I've been doing that ab wheel thing in boxing. It's a real killer,I can't even do two clean reps yet.

The ab wheel is ridiculous. I'm pretty my large intestine is sporting it's own six pack from how deep that thing hits you. Loving the kettle bells these days too.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

TheStampede posted:

The ab wheel is ridiculous. I'm pretty my large intestine is sporting it's own six pack from how deep that thing hits you. Loving the kettle bells these days too.

I feel like it's way harder when you're tall, the shorter people and kids seem to do a lot better than me but maybe it's just experience.

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010

gregarious Ted posted:

I've been doing bag work for a couple years, and sparring/PT for about 3 months now. I hate doing weights, I like bodyweight stuff though, but I'm worried it's not enough. Classes generally have strength interspaced with bag rounds, and my PT often does strengthwork with me. Is that enough?

Conditioning/endurance is the most important thing, but it really helps to have a solid base from lifting weights. You want to have a certain amount of raw strength to work with, and the bodyweight conditioning isn't going to give you that.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

gregarious Ted posted:

What's to hate about lifting weights? If you go alone you can listen to music and generally kick back (while lifting heavy stuff), and if you go with friends it's a great hangout (while lifting heavy stuff). Also afterwards you can do a posedown in front of the locker room mirror then shamefully stop the instant someone opens the door.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I'm pretty late to Wing Chun chat this time, but as potentially one of the more level-headed CMA representatives here I'd still like to jump in.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDLRX1P0bEg

Wing Chun is a style of fighting based entirely on untested theory with no practical application. It takes place at a range of combat that doesn't exist: closer than striking range but further away than clinching range. Against anybody with any kind of fighting training, be it two weeks of boxing, you'll find that your enemy is either too far away for you to hit, or too close for you to hit at all times. It has no defence against any kind of rotational attack, like the basic hook from western boxing. Completely unstoppable to a WC practitioner. It also contains no wrestling for when an enemy gets too close and no ground fighting for if you get tackled. You'll find a lot of people on the internet trying to convince you that WC is great, but it's just the sunk cost fallacy.

Hi, I'm a person on the Internet trying to convince you that Wing Chun is great. I think the points about rotational attacks and the range are interesting and valid criticisms that I've thought about before. The range part is tricky and something we spend a of time on. Though I think it's a bit misleading that the drills tend to take place in that awkwardly close deep inside pseudo-clinch range, in the sense that the goal of the wing chun practitioner isn't so much to linger in that range, but rather to drive deeper in and through your center of gravity once the opening is there. I'd mostly disagree that there's such a thing as too close. Regarding rotational attacks, I think the answer is similar - that we'd do our best to avoid that range. There's really no blocking in WC, and not enough room in the centerline-obsessed approach for hooks to be addressed in a really direct way. It's not perfect. You'll get caught sometimes. C'est la vie.

Others have pointed out the general problem that wing chun is too focused on a particular range. I don't know if that's a criticism so much as a question of scope. All arts have their ideal range, particularly if you include standing vs grounded as ranges. This is part of the benefit of cross training. I'd agree that dismissing cross training is misguided or at best old fashioned. Wing chun's ideal range is an unusual one, but yes, it exists. Developing a jab to go with the wing chun would probably help practicality, and a ground game definitely would, but those aren't criticisms of the style itself.

I don't think it's fair to criticize wing chun for lacking a ground game while implicitly touting western boxing, and I don't think two bad mma fighters self-identifying as wing chun guys means much of anything. And despite what a couple others have mentioned, wing chun is not particularly cool looking, and has very very little to do with Bruce Lee movies.

There are a lot of delusional tma folks out there on the Internet, and wing chun attracts quite a few of them. Most WC out there does seem to be rather watered down and lame, but I wouldn't want to judge anyone in particular too harshly without actually meeting them and touching hands. I guess it's something of a feedback loop where a style gets the reputation for being less intense or strenuous or difficult than others, wimps become attracted to it, the reputation becomes reinforced, more guys who don't want to fight are attracted, then mma happens and a line is drawn in the sand, and then everything is either muay thai or its zumba.

I want to give a little outline of one way to run a decent wing chun class:

1) 15 minute stretching / warmup / discussion

2) 10 minutes of forms. A nice warmup that helps perfect certain postures and gestures. Largely akin to shadowboxing in my opinion but people will probably fight me on that one. Much more structured, yes, but still different and potentially enlightening every time.

3) 40 minutes of hard bodyweight exercise. Different kinds of pushups, planks, and leglifts, but most of the emphasis is on the legs. Holding low stances, different kinds of squats and jumps, etc. Mixed in are some pad drills with punches, kicks, and even some rotational stuff (though not hooks). Sometimes this is just having the pad held in front of you, sometimes with the pad holder in motion. This is the best time to work on maximizing speed and power in your strikes. If you're doing it right this section of class is intense and pushes your limits.

4) 10 minutes of basic sensitivity drills with a partner that focus on the hands / arms, generally with the two standing straight on in close range. Lots of this stuff on youtube. Another common starting point is a mirrored "bridging" stance with one foot forward and an outstretched arm. alright you got me this part is in bruce lee movies

5) 20 minutes of more live pad drills. The guy training is unrestrained within reason and can attack and respond how they choose (in general wing chun type ways). The pad holder, with focus pads, "attacks" with one hand while holding one to his chest / shoulder, alternating freely, throwing straights and hooks with little power, moving freely, and occasionally attempting to grab a solid hold of the body or legs. This is not sparring, and is not full contact or full resistance, though the guy doing the training hits hard. I wear a mouthpiece as pad holder after getting cracked good a couple of times. Again, this is not sparring. The pad holder is restrained in that they're not throwing combinations and can't apply "real" pressure, as there's little force used and little threat. That said I think it's good stuff in other ways. It's helpful for movement, and this is one of the main ways we practice the entrance into that aforementioned ideal range.

6) 20 minutes of Chi Sao / sticking hands wrist-to-wrist type drills. After one learns the basics of what they're doing here in a stationary position, movement is introduced. One guy will attempt to push the other backwards from one end of the room to the other, while the other holds his ground the best he can without actually pushing back. Both pay careful attention to their body structure, avoid disrupting their balance and letting themselves fall to the side or be pulled forward, and avoiding letting a hand slip through the center and contact the body. Later angles are introduced. Later both push each other simultaneously. Later comes rotation. Later comes trapping and actual strikes and whole oceans of other complexities. This is the part of class that's closer in spirit and in practice to sparring, though probably closer to randori/rolling than to true striking styles. It's not really full contact, but it is full resistance. It may not look like much to a spectator, but here I squeeze every drop of physical resistance from my body that I can, every class. Fascinatingly enough, the drill also works with very little energy and resistance involved, and a more advanced practitioner might be able to break and control my balance with straight-up comically low output of force.

From what I gather, other classes often drop sections 3, 5, and possibly 1 entirely, while performing number 6 more like number 4. To me that is bananas.

One of the reasons WC fascinates me is that it can't be adequately described as striking nor as grappling, but exists in between and combines them - not in a composite mix and match jack of all trades kind of way, but as something organic. It doesn't alternate between the two - its always both. Wing chun will not, however, turn one into an untouchable killing machine capable of outwrestling wrestlers, outboxing boxers, and plucking eyeballs with ease. That said I feel fairly positive about my ability to box up a straight judoka of comparable experience level without getting easily thrown, or to toss a straight boxer of comparable experience level on his rear end repeatedly without getting too catastrophically lit up, or to defend myself against an unarmed average joe attacker to permit sufficient space to break into a sprint. But none of those things have come up yet - just speculation and I've got lots more to learn.

This is my experience so far, but a lot of people would contradict a lot of it. A lot.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

gregarious Ted posted:

There are major advantages to resistance training that you won't get by doing bodyweight exercises. That said, unless you have plans of competing seriously do what you enjoy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Decades posted:

I want to give a little outline of one way to run a decent wing chun class:

I'll ask just to get it out of the way -- at what point in a well designed WC curriculum can you start sparring as realistically (wrt WC techniques) as possible? Can it be done using fencing masks or other full eye protecting headgear?

I think one thing that I've sought for a long time but haven't come across is how WC techniques can be used against other striking arts. If you looking at other striking disciplines like boxing or MT, while there is a huge range of technique, individuals usually stick to a subset that suits their body or preferences. And this shows up in sparring -- there'll always be a conflict in style, with adjustments having to be made, new tactics called into service.
When I see WC practictioners spar, 90% of the time they plod forward in an empty stance with the lead spear hand in a warding posture and rear hand in front of the chest. That would be fine on its own, but the attacks and responses they execute from there seem very very limited.

All that said, I would love to spar a WC guy. It would be an exercise in countering while avoiding the high centerline, which I would immediately cede to him. I'd come in with deep cut kicks to try to keep him off balance and spend the rest of the time outranging with teeps or sidestepping and straight punches to the body.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Decades posted:

That said I feel fairly positive about my ability to box up a straight judoka of comparable experience level without getting easily thrown

Unlike most people, I love TMA debates. Thanks for that write up.
On another note, have you ever done Judo? and how would you approach a fight with someone who you knew was a semi/accomplished judoka? No gi for arguments sake.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Seems like Jake Shields is going to hold a seminar at my gym this friday, for the not too intimidating cost of 400 SEK (about 57 $), and I'm considering going. However I'm quite crap and train just for fun, and it feels a bit poo poo to take up a spot that could go to someone who is more serious about their training and might actually aim to compete.

Decisions, decisions.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

You seem like a reasonable guy but I'm going to have to make this point: when boxers spar, it looks like boxing, when wrestlers spar it looks like wrestling, it's that way for every martial art we recommend. Every wc sparring session I've seen has been either an inch short of choreographed or devolved into bad kickboxing after the first flurry. No full contact champion in either striking or MMA has a wc background.

There is a lot of external evidence that wc is either not taught in an effective way or is not practical enough to really function.

Nothing wrong with doing something you enjoy, no one claims football doesn't work because you can't just get back up and keep running after a down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

I'll ask just to get it out of the way -- at what point in a well designed WC curriculum can you start sparring as realistically (wrt WC techniques) as possible? Can it be done using fencing masks or other full eye protecting headgear?

As far as eye and throat strikes and that type of stuff goes, I suppose something like fencing masks would be best, but really I think that's the type of thing you'd never be able to spar in a satisfying way. I imagine it would be tough enough to gauge effectiveness that the effort wouldn't be too helpful. Better to focus on perfecting the parts that would work with sparring, mostly punching each other and uprooting / balance breaking. We don't send each other flying but we do try and trap each other in corners and against walls. The aim really is to prevent an opponent from reaching your head/body period, whether in the form of an eye jab, punch, reach for a thai clinch, etc, and particularly if the opponent is rooted (/has their base). Eye / throat stuff seems pretty conditional and tough to utilize if the opponent moves their head at all. If, by vanishingly small chance, I find myself in a krav maga style life and death cornered situation, maybe that stuff would come out on its own, but then maybe not. We really only practice those types of strikes in forms thus far.

kimbo305 posted:

I think one thing that I've sought for a long time but haven't come across is how WC techniques can be used against other striking arts. If you looking at other striking disciplines like boxing or MT, while there is a huge range of technique, individuals usually stick to a subset that suits their body or preferences. And this shows up in sparring -- there'll always be a conflict in style, with adjustments having to be made, new tactics called into service. When I see WC practictioners spar, 90% of the time they plod forward in an empty stance with the lead spear hand in a warding posture and rear hand in front of the chest. That would be fine on its own, but the attacks and responses they execute from there seem very very limited.

Limited attacks and responses sounds true to an extent. We're mostly focused on that one straight punch and slight variations, usually while stepping in. In that Jack Dempsey book that was posted in here not long ago, the first falling step straight left punch he describes sounds and feels very familiar, except that he says to keep the weight further to the front, which makes sense and feels a bit quicker since boxers aren't too worried about getting grabbed and thrown. Guess we’d stand a bit lower too.

One way to try and explain the difference between WC and other/actual striking as I understand it is that strikers will try and move, avoid your attacks, and hit you. With WC the idea is more like trying to move you, severely disrupt your base such that you can't attack or defend too meaningfully, and launching those stylistically limited attacks while you're in a bad position and can't do much to stop them even if you see them coming. Ideally this means landing punches while you're way off balance, which, based on combat sports, seems to be when dudes get knocked out.

kimbo305 posted:

All that said, I would love to spar a WC guy. It would be an exercise in countering while avoiding the high centerline, which I would immediately cede to him. I'd come in with deep cut kicks to try to keep him off balance and spend the rest of the time outranging with teeps or sidestepping and straight punches to the body.

Interesting to read. The outranging part is a concern for sure. The point about avoiding the high centerline is interesting. One thing that we hold important that I haven't emphasized is being able to change levels and sink down low quickly. That's a big reason for all our low stance and squat exercises - we've got to be reasonably comfortable dropping our hips all the way down to knee height if necessary. So I think my objective there would be to sink and meet you wherever you go, controlling not just the high centerline, but the whole thing. I’d imagine lateral movement mixed with quick teeps being the more challenging part for the WC guy.

Nierbo posted:

Unlike most people, I love TMA debates. Thanks for that write up. On another note, have you ever done Judo? and how would you approach a fight with someone who you knew was a semi/accomplished judoka? No gi for arguments sake.

Thank you for not taking that Judo bit the wrong way. Judo rules and I have the biggest crush on Rhonda Rousey. Haven't tried it, just a little bit of bjj, but I'd definitely be interested. If I had to pick another art that was closest to the core of what we do it'd probably be Judo. We've got strikes and lack the gi, but I imagine if I were to jump ship, Judo's where my skills would be most applicable.

As far as approaching a fight, the WC guy would do what he could to strike without overcommitting and would sink his hips down as low as needed if he felt the Judo guy trying to disrupt his balance. WC guy would try and keep his elbows in tight to the body to discourage Judo guy grabbing underhooks, and hopefully the Judo guy’s efforts to get a grip would lead him right into WC guy’s range. But I'm sure Judoka have tricks up their sleeves. Speaking of sleeves the gi would also of course be a huge complication if that were involved. As a Judo player, how would you go about clinching up no-gi while protecting your center from straight strikes? As I picture it you'd have to reach and expose yourself, but surely there are ways.

For the record this stuff should be taken with a grain of salt since we're talking hypotheticals. Fantasy sparring chat is still fun though. Who’d win between a Ninjitsu guy riding a Mongolian wrestler and an Aikido guy riding a wolverine? The wolverine is in a gi.

E:

Xguard86 posted:

You seem like a reasonable guy but I'm going to have to make this point: when boxers spar, it looks like boxing, when wrestlers spar it looks like wrestling, it's that way for every martial art we recommend. Every wc sparring session I've seen has been either an inch short of choreographed or devolved into bad kickboxing after the first flurry. No full contact champion in either striking or MMA has a wc background.

There is a lot of external evidence that wc is either not taught in an effective way or is not practical enough to really function.

Nothing wrong with doing something you enjoy, no one claims football doesn't work because you can't just get back up and keep running after a down.

I can't really disagree with any of this, honestly. If Chi Sao and related drills can count as sparring then that helps WC's case, but in my experience most practitioners don't approach that stuff in the right way anyway - often much too static, with the guy on offense landing his strikes on the surface of his opponent rather than driving through him.

If you're looking for WC applied practically to mma then Alan Orr and his crew in the UK seems to be the best place to start, but I don't really find what they do to be that similar to what I do anyway (so maybe I shouldn't even mention them). The better answer is no one has done it right yet, no one has put enough energy into their WC to make it work while also dedicating enough time to all the other components of mma to make them work. Maybe it's inherently tough to apply, or maybe it's a symptom of the poor state of the broad WC community.

The small gloves of mma and no-glove nature of WC might be one plus side - that there's less emphasis on sticking a glove to the side of your head, which it seems doesn't work as well in mma as in boxing, and more emphasis on parrying, deflection, "trapping" and such. I've noticed movements that have reminded me of WC from great mma strikers as diverse as Anderson Silva, Frankie Edgar, Lyoto Machida, and GSP. If Lyoto can get Machida karate to work, then I'm sure someone can get WC to work. The problem is Lyoto was raised to fight from the womb. Maybe that's what it would take.

Decades fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 11, 2012

• Locked thread