Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

:ohdear:

My critique/complaint is pretty much that it's just taking too long between strips. I think I'd have enjoyed this strip's dark mood far more if it hadn't taken over two weeks to get it up, and if I thought I was likely to see a new strip faster than a couple of weeks from now.

I wish Onstad had built up a little backlog of strips first, I can't get any sense of flow out of this story with such large gaps between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Jesus christ, Chris.

kreayshawns talent
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Telex posted:

Terrible.

Fade to black, let it die. :(

Yeah.

What's with the weird stilted language in this one?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

kreayshawns talent posted:

Yeah.

What's with the weird stilted language in this one?

If you mean Doc Andretti, that's how he always talks. Ray's language seems pretty usual to me.

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW
April Fools!

*busts out a 25 page arc that brings all the character threads together, sealing the past 10 years of quality comics into a perfectly preserved present*

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

gwaaargh posted:

April Fools!

*busts out a 25 page arc that brings all the character threads together, sealing the past 10 years of quality comics into a perfectly preserved present*

I would wet myself.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Ugh, this just keeps getting worse. Just stop it, Chris. It's okay, you can let it die now. :sigh:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Does anyone read Spin? Is the issue with his comic out yet? It's it's a three panel jobber with a solid punchline I am gonna be sooooo cross.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I actually like the latest strip a lot, it evokes a sense of bleak depression really well.

On the other hand I'm not sure I want to go where Chris is taking the strip as a whole. It sounds trite, but Ray's idiotic cheerfulness is the counterpoint to Roast Beef's angst. Tearing him down to a mentally unstable alchoholic burnout is a major bummer. We already have Lyle and Todd for that.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 2, 2012

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

I actually like the latest strip a lot, it evokes a sense of bleak depression really well.

Yeah. It really does. If it were coming out faster, this would be a really good arc. As it is, I'm still enjoying it. Just... Y'know. Faster would be nice.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

mysterious frankie posted:

Does anyone read Spin?

I picked the issue up just so I could read the comic. It accompanies an article about how comics are available on tablets, etc. now, even though the article didn't really mention achewood.

I'm paraphrasing a bit, but it's got Beef sitting at his computer wondering how he's going to make money now that the internet is a thing. Then he starts a website called something like "Things are not so great.com". We see a t-shirt with the site's logo on it (it seems to be a recycled panel of one of Beef's terrible novelty shirts with new words). We then see what appears to be recycled art of Ray in Germany, leaning against a wall and drinking sodas all day, except now he's wearing the shirt from the website. Finally, the last panels are an age-progression thing with Beef where he's sitting next to the "Things are not so great" poster, and as he and the poster age he looks more and more miserable.

So yeah, it was kinda depressing and kinda confusing.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

feetnotes posted:

I picked the issue up just so I could read the comic. It accompanies an article about how comics are available on tablets, etc. now, even though the article didn't really mention achewood.

I'm paraphrasing a bit, but it's got Beef sitting at his computer wondering how he's going to make money now that the internet is a thing. Then he starts a website called something like "Things are not so great.com". We see a t-shirt with the site's logo on it (it seems to be a recycled panel of one of Beef's terrible novelty shirts with new words). We then see what appears to be recycled art of Ray in Germany, leaning against a wall and drinking sodas all day, except now he's wearing the shirt from the website. Finally, the last panels are an age-progression thing with Beef where he's sitting next to the "Things are not so great" poster, and as he and the poster age he looks more and more miserable.

So yeah, it was kinda depressing and kinda confusing.

Okay, now I'm jumping on the "Chris has depression and needs help" bandwagon.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

feetnotes posted:

Finally, the last panels are an age-progression thing with Beef where he's sitting next to the "Things are not so great" poster, and as he and the poster age he looks more and more miserable.
Haha, is that a Dorian Grey joke? That's fantastic. You guys need to stop worrying about Onstad's mental health and just enjoy the image of a poster that reads "Things are not so great" sucking the life out of a man.

It's like a metaphor for the comic.

(Okay, maybe worry a little about his mental health :ohdear:)

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

It seems to me that, more than anything, the man needs easy money.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I still enjoy reading Achewood and look forward to the next strip.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

Wandering Knitter posted:

Okay, now I'm jumping on the "Chris has depression and needs help" bandwagon.

I have no doubt he does. I don't see how a person who hasn't experienced depression could write this:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02022007

I mean gently caress, that's just it. Perfectly encapsulated. If I have to explain to somebody what depression's like, I show them this comic.

I hope you're ok, Chis. :(

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer
:siren: Here's another one :siren:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Moscow Mule posted:

I have no doubt he does. I don't see how a person who hasn't experienced depression could write this:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02022007

I mean gently caress, that's just it. Perfectly encapsulated. If I have to explain to somebody what depression's like, I show them this comic.

I hope you're ok, Chis. :(

Let me rephrase that: Chris either needs to get help for his depression or get his medication changed or something. The magazine comic is equal parts "I have issues" and "I'm half assing this because I just don't care anymore".

I know what it's like, Chris. :smith:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

GeneralZod posted:

This worked so much better, because I read the last one yesterday and not half a month ago. I didn't have to flip back five pages to reacquaint myself with the increeeeeeedibly slow story AND it feels like this is wrapping up. My optimistic hope/theory is that this is one big cathartic purge.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

^^^^ figures I'd mention nobody noticing a new strip and someone posting about it simulatenously.

GeneralZod posted:

Uh, I don't think anyone noticed the new strip. I mean, it came the day right afterward, so it would be hard to believe there's a new strip, but it's there.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

^^^^ figures I'd mention nobody noticing a new strip and someone posting about it simulatenously.

Uh, I don't think anyone noticed the new strip. I mean, it came the day right afterward, so it would be hard to believe there's a new strip, but it's there.

I didn't even bother reading it, because I wanted to be the first to drat it with faint praise.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
I was amused by the alt-text and Ray's state of mind.

I feel temporarily way better about Achewood. :unsmith: this totally does work so much better all taken in over a short period of time, which sucks! It seems like short-form humor is he only thing Onstad will be able to do well with this release schedule...

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

If only he'd DO short form humor, I'd love some.

But every time anyone asks him about it, he just mutters something about not wanting to turn into Garfield.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Nick at Nite posted:

If only he'd DO short form humor, I'd love some.

But every time anyone asks him about it, he just mutters something about not wanting to turn into Garfield.

Maybe he doesn't have to do Achewood in short form anymore, but goddamn it's clear at this point that the short form humor was GOOD, and this stuff is objectively something other than good most of the time.

At least the humor was coherent.

There's an idea that successful people know when to admit something is a mistake, shitcan it and move on to something new.

I think it would be better overall if he'd do something that was previously regarded as brilliant, even if it means "garfield" or whatever the gently caress nonsense is involved in being universally successful and having a steady income and the love of millions of people around the world. At least if you do it in your own voice and with your own thing, it seems like a quality idea that about a million or so artists would love to have gathered the audience to make it happen.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I don't know, turning into garfield might not be so bad at this point.

EDIT: drat, I wish I still had that Achewood Garfield image on my webspace that I made a while back.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I don't know, turning into garfield might not be so bad at this point.

EDIT: drat, I wish I still had that Achewood Garfield image on my webspace that I made a while back.

dang ray you know me and mondays got issues.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I really like this arc, honestly. It's just been hard to tell because updates have been so sparse.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Onstad already tried that. It didn't work.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Really enjoyed that, as I said before (and others have as well), with less time between strips the story flows a lot better. The final panel text is great, and I love the alt-text.

"I fell in love, and we found out I had a baby inside me."

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

FactsAreUseless posted:

Onstad already tried that. It didn't work.

I'm laughing my rear end off at that. Everything about it is so lame and just like the newspaper. Then I'm looking at the last panel closely.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

glug posted:

I'm laughing my rear end off at that. Everything about it is so lame and just like the newspaper. Then I'm looking at the last panel closely.
Be sure to read the alt text, it makes the strip.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I read The Hunger Games last night and even though it's plenty dark and such I couldn't take it seriously because so much of it kept reminding me of The Great Outdoor Fight. A lot of it was just the normal cliches that would come up with this sort of story, like dividing into teams etc, but when everyone got invited to a feast I had to put the book down due to laughing so hard.

yes, battle royale, etc, i'm well aware. Also, there were no side dishes.

As far as this current arc goes, I'm enjoying reading the strips, but I don't know that it's very different from a lot of the "hallucinatory/surreal for the sake of it" arcs that Achewood has had the past few years. Still, Onstad does it well.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Bown posted:

I read The Hunger Games last night and even though it's plenty dark and such I couldn't take it seriously because so much of it kept reminding me of The Great Outdoor Fight. A lot of it was just the normal cliches that would come up with this sort of story, like dividing into teams etc, but when everyone got invited to a feast I had to put the book down due to laughing so hard.

Ah, I'm glad I wasn't the only one expecting them to bring out the jeeps at the climax of the film.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Dr Snofeld posted:

Ah, I'm glad I wasn't the only one expecting them to bring out the jeeps at the climax of the film.

the dogs were the jeeps.

just work it out in your mind.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ray and Roast Beef would gently caress Katniss and Peeta up.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
New strip!

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04132012

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

tripwood posted:

New strip!

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04132012

Hahaha holy poo poo, that bottom left panel. Hardest I've laughed in a while.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I combed through every panel like I was Ray staring at the space between his own fingers, that was fantastic. I really think this story-arc would have been excellent if it hadn't had such gaps between new comics, this strip throws the entire thing into a new absurdist light.

"I...I need to keep this sheet, it has some pretty amazing laser sex maths on it."

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
This seemed a bit closer to Achewood Classic. I snickered, yes.

And the best part is that this whole thing has only taken ten days. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Hahaha that was great.