Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Now that's a rocket launch I can believe in. It kinda stands to reason that, like much of the work Anja and Donald have done, his rocket is some kind of science-meets-etheric-arts hybrid. One wonders if Kat might eventually follow in her parents' footsteps here, carry on the Donlan legacy, as it were.

It also reminded me of this rant, by somebody who did not get the memo that GKC is not exactly hard sci-fi: http://c1qfxugcgy0.tumblr.com/post/20510046708/this-is-not-how-spaceflight-works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Quinton posted:

It also reminded me of this rant, by somebody who did not get the memo that GKC is not exactly hard sci-fi: http://c1qfxugcgy0.tumblr.com/post/20510046708/this-is-not-how-spaceflight-works

Ahaha, wow. I love people who not only don't understand basic storytelling, but also feel like they know more about things they don't actually know all that much about. (The idea of a language existing that cannot theoretically be interpreted by human beings isn't an impossible concept by any stretch of the imagination, champ.) They make for the best entertainment :allears:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Quinton posted:

Now that's a rocket launch I can believe in. It kinda stands to reason that, like much of the work Anja and Donald have done, his rocket is some kind of science-meets-etheric-arts hybrid. One wonders if Kat might eventually follow in her parents' footsteps here, carry on the Donlan legacy, as it were.

Also I would assume that The Court isn't on our Earth, that would just be ridiculous.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

pik_d posted:

Also I would assume that The Court isn't on our Earth, that would just be ridiculous.

I assume that it exists in a world that is like our world except for when it's not.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

MikeJF posted:

I assume that it exists in a world that is like our world except for when it's not.

I guess I should have mentioned that I'm specifically thinking that all the UN resolutions and the entirety of the Cold War would not exist in GC world since it's clearly not taking place on our Earth.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Ah, I knew Tom's comment on today's strip sounded familiar.

Edit: I wanna say that I'm really digging this arc, not just because of all the characterization going on and getting to see more of Donald, but also because I looooove me some magically augmented technology.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

So I asked Donnie to explain himself and here is his reply to this guy:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What if Ms. Jones was a person and then she stopped being one?

Jones might not have a personality now but that doesn't mean she never had one. Jones and Jimmy Jims grew up together: He treats her like someone near and dear to him. Would Eaglemore really fall for a walking, talking statue?

Something else is off. Artificial creations in Gunnerkrig have emotions.We've seen Crying Robot, and Robot hugging his best friend Shadow. Shadow is one of Coyote's creations, a glass-eyed men. She isn't a Golem because they can't speak and when they lose their temper they go on killing sprees.

Maybe Jones is a shell of a person? She's relatively small and gentle even though she weighs several hundred pounds and punches thru arms. She's got less personality than a heap of clay. Nothing moves her. It's like her mind is still a mind, her body is still a body, but some sort of divine spark is gone.

Then again Jones might weigh two tons and is very good at masking her emotions.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Tea-san posted:

This is the best :swoon:

deadly mawk
Sep 7, 2010

Bonus points to that guy for saying "this is an odd thing for a machine to say" in regards to the sapient, golem-constructed robots.

(Tea-san, that is magical.)

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Tea-san posted:

Laughing out loud here, literally.

This is (yet another) great chapter -- between Donald's story-telling, the cloak-and-dagger skulking around, Annie's facial expressions in the last couple pages, and BWOOW, launch!, it's hard to say what I like most. I do love getting to know more about characters we've known of for a long time but have not been in focus previously.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

While we're on avatar talk, I made some things for Donny fans:

:allears:
Oh my goodness, these are the best. Donald rules, and if I hadn't gone broke today buying rad poo poo at the best market in the world (Pike Place Market), I'd snap up this, only, flip it so it's looking weirdly at my posts.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Oh my gosh, this one with the subtext "we'll just have to trust it" would be magical. An avatar of Red would be amazing too because Red is amazing, but I think I could have this one forever and never need to change it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If I were better at gif-magic and photoshoppery I'd be making some Donny glasses CSI-style ones right now.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Thank you, avatar fairy! :)

Also: Donny is a really cool guy who makes the coolest rockets.

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

Beekeeping and You posted:

So... so did Goblins win the comics thing? I sure hope not.

Gunnerkrigg Court (50%, 15,481 Votes)
Goblins (50%, 15,458 Votes)

:tinfoil:

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Angry Avocado posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court (50%, 15,481 Votes)
Goblins (50%, 15,458 Votes)

:tinfoil:
GC was winning by 400 votes, like, an hour ago. I sure hope whoever's running this thing is checking to make sure nothing dodgy is going on.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

And Goblins was winning by a fair margin before that. This thing is fluctuating quite a bit.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Dammit guys, stop hogging all the cool Coyote avatars. That's it, today is avatar making day, I'll start re-reading to see what I can come up with. I'll start when I hit the office (hard to photoshop from a phone :v: )

Any requests?

PS: Also, can someone link to the avatars post? It was posted a few pages ago but I can't find it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Dammit guys, stop hogging all the cool Coyote avatars. That's it, today is avatar making day, I'll start re-reading to see what I can come up with. I'll start when I hit the office (hard to photoshop from a phone :v: )

Any requests?

PS: Also, can someone link to the avatars post? It was posted a few pages ago but I can't find it.

It's in the OP. :)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3351001&pagenumber=139#post399784438

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Tea-san posted:

Ahahahaha this is fantastic, gently caress 'em

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Tea-san posted:

Ahaha, wonderful. I can't wait to see how they react to it :allears:

deadly mawk
Sep 7, 2010

In all likelihood, they'll just start listing off real-life credentials without realizing that Donnie is speaking in-character. Probably use the word "cute" at some point too.

Or, more optimistically, draw a comic in response and/or turn out to actually be quite good-natured! That would be fun.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Runaway Bro posted:

Or, more optimistically, draw a comic in response and/or turn out to actually be quite good-natured! That would be fun.

Runaway Bro, this is The Internet. Internet, this is Runaway Bro. Pleased to introduce you.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Tea-san posted:

Donnie just went from nerd to pimp in the blink of an eye. This is fantastic.

Really, that thing that guy wrote is ridiculous. This is a fictional work set in a universe where a coyote god can literally pluck the moon out of the sky and a girl can poke it, leaving a fingerprint on half its surface, and a tween can build an anti-gravity device (where was all the huff about THAT?) in a day or two and nobody really freaks out about it. And yet, some minor esoteric details about satellites and machine language (from living, non-AI-based golem-bots) is too much?

Also today's panel is crazy weird, and the comment at the bottom cracked me up. I remember those rockets.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 9, 2012

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Of course it is :doh:

Welp, here we go. I'll update this post as I make more.

I made some phone calls and it turns out I know more about each of these subjects than you can ever hope to learn.

What are you going to do about it?

Finally decided on this one, so feel free to take any of the others. I'll whip some more tomorrow probably.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 10, 2012

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
To be fair, the whole magic vs technology theme falls flat, as the court technology is all literally magic. My complaint is that proteins don't make cells, cells are a mix of fats and protein.

But then again, Gunnerkrigg Court is about resolving conflicts via diplomacy and understanding. Hitting things with swords is just one tool amongst many. There are enough stories about slaughtering things these days.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Phobophilia posted:

To be fair, the whole magic vs technology theme falls flat, as the court technology is all literally magic.

I see it as more nature vs technology, with the forests traditional magic being, you know, natural, and the courts technomagic being founded on those natural laws but twisted to suit very specific needs. You know, like actual natural laws and technology, only with magic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Phobophilia posted:

To be fair, the whole magic vs technology theme falls flat, as the court technology is all literally magic.

Not really...

The technology we're exposed to most in the comic is the Donlan technology, which very specifically isn't court technology, and is a path the court has chosen to not pursue because they want to avoid just making magitech, and robot technology, which is a whole other culture and technology developed by their civilization independently of (although within) the human segment of the court and has gone down some difficult-to-understand-paths as a result of diverging centuries ago in priorities. (at least, this is what I gather from the comic and some stuff Tom said on his formspring)

I think the court technology is probably a lot more conventional, although similarly well advanced of what we generally have in the real world. Although they do still research Etherics in their own way, of course - see the Power Station.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 9, 2012

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
The important thing to remember is that between magic-technology and standard science-technology, the baseline between the two is laser cows.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

Did you size this down from a bigger image? Do you have this in SUPER HUGE? I need it in SUPER HUGE size.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Phobophilia posted:

Feels more Stardusty, Sandman's main story is dark as hell and centres on the adventures of a bunch of dark callous gods.

If we are just gonna list everything Gaiman's done, the whole unification of old mythology and new thing feels a bit more American Gods to me :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Did you size this down from a bigger image? Do you have this in SUPER HUGE? I need it in SUPER HUGE size.

You're channeling your avatar, aren't you.

Here ya go:

I can make them wallpaper-sized if you guys want. Just ask for a resolution and colour (dark/light).

1600 x 900

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 9, 2012

deadly mawk
Sep 7, 2010

That's gorgeous. If you could do the dark version in 1600x900, I'd owe you big-time.

reinardus vulpes
Nov 5, 2010

de cele amor Dieus me gart
Tea-san, it is a great sign that Gunnerkrigg can spark such righteous indignation over a trivial detail in its fantasy universe. They cannot hate unless they care.

e: I also absolutely love the idea that someone has been reading this comic the entire time prior to the launch, furiously making calculations and nodding with approval: "Yes, it all checks out..."

reinardus vulpes fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 9, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

You're channeling your avatar, aren't you.

Here ya go:

I can make them wallpaper-sized if you guys want. Just ask for a resolution and colour (dark/light).
Literally as large as possible. I want to get a custom latex sticker made to go on my motorcycle windshield and I need a clean image at a high resolution to do it.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Runaway Bro posted:

That's gorgeous. If you could do the dark version in 1600x900, I'd owe you big-time.

Edited my previous post, I'll add the resolutions there.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Literally as large as possible. I want to get a custom latex sticker made to go on my motorcycle windshield and I need a clean image at a high resolution to do it.

Sorry, that's as large as I have it. I can try vectorizing it when I get home if you let me steal your idea and make one for my bike's fuel tank as well.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

And so The Court's Angels are born.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

The expression on Annies face is amazing. She is so intent on pressing that button exactly when Donald says to, and not one second before or after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
As with all other things in this comic, I think it's a bit too simplistic to say it has a theme of "magic versus technology". That's what it looks like at first glance, but that's way too... banal, too easy of a symbolic leap. So far pretty much everything in this comic has way more layers than what we first thought. From Jeanne to the robots to Ysengrim, Tom never takes the easy way out. Putting "nature" and "science" on opposing sides and making them duke it out is an easy way out in my opinion.

We know for sure the Court is filled to the brim with etheric phenomena, but they're not obviously apparent: we only know about them because we get the story from the point of view of a Court resident. We know next to nothing about the specific things that go on inside the forest, and who is to say they're not using technology and scientific reasoning over there as well? We know the top echelon of the Forest despises it, but the Headmaster despises etheric science too.

I like to think the chief conflict in Gunnerkrigg Court is simply the Forest versus the Court, no overt symbolism. The players on both sides are different as well as their resources.