Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

Edited my previous post, I'll add the resolutions there.

Sorry, that's as large as I have it. I can try vectorizing it when I get home if you let me steal your idea and make one for my bike's fuel tank as well.
I think I got it covered. :v:

Waffnuffly posted:

And so The Court's Angels are born.
Hey, well my honda already has the wing motif going on, so I don't think I'll get any weird looks about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Hey, well my honda already has the wing motif going on, so I don't think I'll get any weird looks about it.

Aw hell yea. Let's do this! :D

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
The thread better get some pictures. :)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Cyphoderus posted:

As with all other things in this comic, I think it's a bit too simplistic to say it has a theme of "magic versus technology". That's what it looks like at first glance, but that's way too... banal, too easy of a symbolic leap. So far pretty much everything in this comic has way more layers than what we first thought. From Jeanne to the robots to Ysengrim, Tom never takes the easy way out. Putting "nature" and "science" on opposing sides and making them duke it out is an easy way out in my opinion.

I like to think the chief conflict in Gunnerkrigg Court is simply the Forest versus the Court, no overt symbolism. The players on both sides are different as well as their resources.
I think the whole magic vs. technology thing is smoke and mirrors on Tom's part, honestly. The heart of the story lingers more on the failure of either side to adequately save mankind's soul (painting "Mankind" a little broadly here).

Coyote can give Reynardine the ability to chase after his love, but he can't make her love real when it isn't. Diego, similarly, can give life to as many of his windup children as he can imagine, but he can never give back the life he stole. The Donlans casually keep around a literal miracle computer capable of shooting off whatever to Annie's dad wherever he is, but they can't close the distance between an estranged father and daughter. They can't tell Annie why he left, what he's doing, or whether "He still loves you very much" actually means anything.

This is the thing that needs to be dealt with.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 9, 2012

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Keatonguy posted:

Oh my gosh, this one with the subtext "we'll just have to trust it" would be magical. An avatar of Red would be amazing too because Red is amazing, but I think I could have this one forever and never need to change it.

Looks like you've been visited by the avatar fairy.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

SirSamVimes posted:

:stare: He/she/they move(s) in mysterious ways.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Edmond Dantes posted:

Ok so first off I'm gonna make this my background or something, it's hella cool.
Second I just noticed the bismuth symbol in there? That's cool.

Third is the bismuth symbol looks like Coyote the Moon??
Actually Coyote in general sort of? Like here:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mazerunner posted:

Third is the bismuth symbol looks like Coyote the Moon??
Hey wait a second...

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

JT Jag posted:

Hey wait a second...
This is the sort of thing that you come to appreciate when you see the avatars on the forum. By removing the art around it, you have to focus on the one thing. It's how I spotted bismuth in the Coyote-Moon.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I hope we get some sort of follow up of Anthony receiving the package, I'm curious as to how that's going to work. Gunnerkrigg has moved it's way up to the first comic I check for updates on during the week, and I'm gonna get myself an avatar once I can find the perfect "What am I reading here" sort of frame. :v:

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

:swoon:

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

If I had an ounce of talent or skill with image manipulation in my body, I would overlay that over a nice tasteful wallpaper pattern of the same symbol as a background with some appropriate lilac patterns.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Filthy Haiku posted:

I hope we get some sort of follow up of Anthony receiving the package, I'm curious as to how that's going to work. Gunnerkrigg has moved it's way up to the first comic I check for updates on during the week, and I'm gonna get myself an avatar once I can find the perfect "What am I reading here" sort of frame. :v:

I think I know just where to look.

Edit: Well, looks like the archives have me again. There goes my evening.

E2: Would the last panel of this http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=888 comic fill your desire?

Pendent fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 10, 2012

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Nice and easy to vectorise. That vector is not optimised so it has a few path elements that can be removed, but I'm at work.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I'm not sure it was necessarily an etheric rocket; it looks a lot like an alcubierre drive might look.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

but at least
i have

springy ride

The Walker posted:

E2: Would the last panel of this http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=888 comic fill your desire?

Less confusion and more disgust.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Something from http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=336 perhaps?

E: Or the middle-right panel of http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=660 might work. Or http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=747. Kat has all the best disgusted looks.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 10, 2012

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bremen posted:

I'm not sure it was necessarily an etheric rocket; it looks a lot like an alcubierre drive might look.

Well, etheric means would be a decently handwavey thing to provide the energy for that.

However, Kat was able to make anti-gravity in complete ignorance of etheric means being A Thing so who knows!

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
like this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

but at least
i have

springy ride

idonotlikepeas posted:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=747. Kat has all the best disgusted looks.

Jackpot. :haw: Kat is so awesome.

Only I just realized I don't have photoshop anymore. :negative: I keep forgetting to get an image editing program.

Maldraedior posted:

like this?

If not for the grain, this would have definitely been my pick.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I didn't know which one you might want, so I did the only rational thing.

I hope one of those is acceptable.

E: Great minds!
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 10, 2012

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Filthy Haiku posted:

Jackpot. :haw: Kat is so awesome.

Only I just realized I don't have photoshop anymore. :negative: I keep forgetting to get an image editing program.

If not for the grain, this would have definitely been my pick.

I don't know which face you like best, so here's all of them:

E: ^^^^^^^ Well gently caress. :argh:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Also:

Kat has the best disgust face, but Smitty's disapproval is amazing. I think it's the eyebrows.

You know, re-reading today looking for avatar material I realized there was an entire chapter I somehow missed. :psyduck:

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

but at least
i have

springy ride

idonotlikepeas and Wrist Watch posted:

Wonderful things

I'm definitely going with this one once I get the cash, it has the perfect mix of revolt, anger, and "What!?" at my posts. Thanks so much guys. :D

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Edmond Dantes posted:

Kat has the best disgust face, but Smitty's disapproval is amazing. I think it's the eyebrows.

In general Tom is way too good at :goleft: faces. If I were to get some kind of art from him it would be a tossup between City Face, Coyote, and a :I of some sort.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

What's this from again?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Right here:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=787

Good panel. Best page.

E: That's it; I am clearly refreshing my bookmarks too often tonight. Stretch break!
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 10, 2012

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

but at least
i have

springy ride

SirSamVimes posted:

What's this from again?

Chapter 30:
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=787

It's easily one of my favorite panels in the comic. They're all so disapproving of Annie.

edit: Well gently caress. :colbert:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Thankyou for the reminder. It's funny how far she's come from being that robot to the delighted glee she has in my avatar.

She still beeps though.

Edit:

And for those who want disapproving glares at their own posts!

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 10, 2012

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That wasn't even that long ago!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Filthy Haiku posted:

I'm definitely going with this one once I get the cash, it has the perfect mix of revolt, anger, and "What!?" at my posts. Thanks so much guys. :D

Avatar faeries are tricky little buggers. Seriously, I hope at this point there are quite a few of them because this is getting to be a lot for just one person.

But enough of that, "What?" avatar club! :hfive:

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

So I was looking at the big avatar post and noticed that no one was really making any avatars of good Mr. Donlan. So, now we have plenty:

And also one of young Donny:

(Once again, if you are an avatar fairy, I'd prefer to keep my current one. Thanks.)

Edit: I am really tempted to give myself one of these now, though... that fifth one is the perfect "frustrated at posting" expression. Ugh, and the first one is pretty much my favorite page of the comic.

:arghfist::saddowns: drat you good art, making me want to spend money!

Edit2: gently caress it, consider me part of the club.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 10, 2012

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

but at least
i have

springy ride
Avatar Fairy, I love you and your disposition to spend your hard earned income on complete strangers. It's so perfect. :woop:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
There's so many cool panels in Gunnerkrigg I don't even think I could pick one to use as an avatar. And whoever posted the disapproving couple just made reread that whole chapter. Jerk.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dias posted:

There's so many cool panels in Gunnerkrigg I don't even think I could pick one to use as an avatar. And whoever posted the disapproving couple just made reread that whole chapter. Jerk.

Well it's been decided for you.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

SirSamVimes posted:

Well it's been decided for you.
Sir I am starting to suspect you are one of the Avatar Fairies.

Plural. I believe this might be a fairy hivemind we are dealing with here.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I've yet to see convincing proof people didn't have those Gunnerkrigg Court avatars all along.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
So. Congratulations for winning that silly poll Tom. Child's Play gets 200 dollars, and we can all forget this ever happened.

I'm glad that the thread stuck to avatar chat.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

JT Jag posted:

Sir I am starting to suspect you are one of the Avatar Fairies.

Plural. I believe this might be a fairy hivemind we are dealing with here.

If I had much disposable income I probably would be one of them. As is I am merely an accomplice, making avatars for them to inflict at their whim.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Huh. I suppose I've been touched by the Avatar Fairy. That's a pretty suave avatar, I appreciate it.

vvv like that one? Oh god the avatar fairy is mightier that Coyote.

Dias fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
I just noticed there is a complete lack of Ysengrin avatars! Which is a shame cos I kind of want one... I haven't a clue how you guys are making them though, and I am terrible with computers. If someone could take pity on me and turn one of his headshots (eg on 498?) into an avatar-sized image I would be very grateful!