Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

themongol
Apr 30, 2006
Let us celebrate our agreement with the adding of chocolate to milk.

thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

whoa WHOA WHOA I'm actually shocked I didn't get a response right away, you guys are usually so good. GWS, please don't fail me like I"m about to fail my family :(. Anyone have that one tip that makes your hollandaise amazing? Scratch that I'll go for edible as well; I'm so rattled with this dish. I have no problems poaching the eggs, I have avocado and good bacon and I made homemade biscuits, but the sauce is what makes this dish and I am really uncomfortable making it :(

Whoa whoa WHOA to you, sir. You said "I've made it and it's fine" so I wasn't in any rush to help you out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idq9DRbMZ7I

Here's quick and dirty youtube on it (since I paid those fuckers tuition I feel okay in just posting the video). If you add tarragon stems to the reduction and chopped tarragon leaves to the final sauce, you have bearnaise.

I too agree whole butter is better. The BEST thing you can do is separate the butter from the milk solids (just melt it and pour the fat off the top) -- then you can use the milk solid stuff as "water" when you need to thin out the sauce.

Basically once you have your thickish-cooked yolks, add the butter VERY slowly.. literally a Tspoon at a time so you dont break it too soon. It will "break" when there's too much loose oil or if the melted butter is too hot (should be able to stick your finger in without hurting). If the sauce starts looking shiny/glossy on the top, then add a splash of water/the milk solid stuff.

Then at the end add s&p and lemon.

What particularly are you worried about, the flavor, the consistency? the breaking?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Someone unintenionally washed our sifter out with water, and it had flour in it. Any easy way to break up these glutenous pasty blobs that remain between the grates? At a quick glance the thing doesn't look easy to disassemble... there are several things I can think of to try but they run the risk of making it worse.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Hed posted:

Someone unintenionally washed our sifter out with water, and it had flour in it. Any easy way to break up these glutenous pasty blobs that remain between the grates? At a quick glance the thing doesn't look easy to disassemble... there are several things I can think of to try but they run the risk of making it worse.

An overnight soak, along with a toothbrush for truly stuck on bits should work.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
My wife and I have been working on making delicious nachos for ourselves. We've got them tasting great but the one problem we keep having is that the chips in the centre of the baking sheet we cook them on get really soggy.

We put a layer of chips on a baking sheet, then onions and red/green peppers, then chicken or beef, and then the cheese goes on top. We bake it at 350, then broil it to get the cheese on top nice. I think it's because of the peppers that they are coming out soggy but perhaps it might be because of the cheese (really put THAT much cheese on them).

Is there something we could do differently to keep them chips dry and crispy?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

SmokeyXIII posted:

I'm trying to think of a reason why you wouldn't want to make nachos in a microwave instead of an oven. I can't come up with anything. Anyone?

And I've never really had any problems with this sort of thing, but if I did, the first thing I'd look at trying would be to use tempering---heat up the individual ingredients to approximately whatever temperature you want to hit before combining them, then just giving them a quick hit under the broiler or whatever to let it all come together.

That all being said: what's getting your chips soggy? Figure out what ingredients are contributing the liquid, and make sure you have other ingredients between the wet ones and the chips. Normally I'd expect a layer of grated cheese between the chips and whatever else you're throwing on there would be sufficient (and if your chips are getting soggy from contact with the cheese either your prep time is too long or you're using the wrong cheese), but I don't know what kind of wacky horseshit might be going on under the label of `nacho' out there.

But seriously, I can't think of any reason not to do this in a microwave. Someone convince me that there's something to be gained from doing it in a conventional oven.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SmokeyXIII posted:

We put a layer of chips on a baking sheet, then onions and red/green peppers, then chicken or beef, and then the cheese goes on top.

yes. Chips -> cheese -> meat -> veg. The direct contact of veg on chip is causing your sogginess.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

SubG posted:

But seriously, I can't think of any reason not to do this in a microwave.

Haven't you ever microwaved corn chips? That's why. :zombie:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

SubG posted:

But seriously, I can't think of any reason not to do this in a microwave. Someone convince me that there's something to be gained from doing it in a conventional oven.

I'll just quote from my latest work, "A Comparative Analysis of Nacho Making Techniques in Western Agrarian Technoculture"

Pg 328

quote:

Microwave? The gently caress are you doing? poo poo's nasty, yo.

It's pretty clear what my stance is but I think you can draw your own conclusions.

Really, the only major difference between the two prep methods is that the oven is going to allow you to brown the cheese a bit when you hit it with the broiler. I think you could get nearly the same result by A) prepping the nacho substrate appropriately and B) taking your freshly microwaved dish of nachos and whacking that under the broiler for a little bit to brown the cheese.

It would save precious minutes of your already foreshortened life by not baking it at all and would make the nacho dish easier to handle since it wouldn't have time to heat the bottom quite so much. This means fewer accidental chip pan upsets when you accidentally grab a hot plate and thus improves your NtM* ratio dramatically.

*Nachos to Mouth

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

Haven't you ever microwaved corn chips? That's why. :zombie:
Yes, I have. If you're going somewhere with this I'd love to hear it.

CuddleChunks posted:

Really, the only major difference between the two prep methods is that the oven is going to allow you to brown the cheese a bit when you hit it with the broiler.
That's all I can think of, and I wouldn't even say that browning the cheese is normally something I'd consider even desirable with nachos. Normally I wouldn't even expect the top ingredient to be cheese---I'd expect it to be sour cream or pico de gallo or something like that that I wouldn't want browned.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Sour cream or pico de gallo are usually added after the nachos come out of the oven.

SubG posted:

Yes, I have. If you're going somewhere with this I'd love to hear it.

Well, here you go then: that awful plastic "it's hard like a chip so you think it's okay but it doesn't break when you bite it and then your teeth are stuck together" issue that you get with chips that have been heated and then left out overnight? That inedible texture can be achieved in 20 seconds in a decent microwave.

If I were trying to make Solo cups out of cornmeal, that's how I'd do it; they become waterproof.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

Sour cream or pico de gallo are usually added after the nachos come out of the oven.
Can be. In which case...why would you care whether or not the cheese under them is browned or not?

Splizwarf posted:

Well, here you go then: that awful plastic "it's hard like a chip so you think it's okay but it doesn't break when you bite it and then your teeth are stuck together" issue that you get with chips that have been heated and then left out overnight?
Well, you can certainly overcook things in a microwave. But that isn't an argument against microwaving, any more than that awful `it's black and sooty like charcoal' thing is an argument against using the oven.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Because the browning is a series of Maillard reactions that change the flavor and consistency of the cheese significantly, and gooey cheese will keep the nachos from clumping and not protect the chips from the other liquids.

I wasn't suggesting you "overcook" them in the microwave, microwaving them enough to melt cheese changes the texture of the chip into something that most people consider to be "ruined".

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

Because the browning is a series of Maillard reactions that change the flavor and consistency of the cheese significantly, and gooey cheese will keep the nachos from clumping and not protect the chips from the other liquids.
Well you can go for whatever flavour you want, but I normally associate clean, bright flavours with nachos, not a deep and complex flavour profile like you traditionally associate with browning. I'm also pretty skeptical that you're going to get much of that even if you want it out of browning the cheese on nachos---I just wouldn't expect to have that much browned surface area compared to the total volume of a `completed' nacho, and it's (presumably) competing against a bunch of other assertive flavours. But whatever.

Splizwarf posted:

I wasn't suggesting you "overcook" them in the microwave, microwaving them enough to melt cheese changes the texture of the chip into something that most people consider to be "ruined".
I don't believe this. As in I do it and don't have this problem, and there is no reason from first principles why this would be true.

What you're describing is, in fact, just overcooking. I don't know about the microwave you're having these problems with, but you might try: not using the highest setting (this just changes the microwave's duty cycling, effectively turning the microwave on and off during cooking); breaking up the cook time up (so for example instead of running the microwave for 60 seconds continuously, run it for four 15 second intervals); putting a glass of water in the microwave with the food (to absorb some of the energy).

I suppose it's also possible you just have bad chips as well. I'd actually expect a hard corn chip to be pretty drat resilient under microwaving, as it won't be particularly moist to start out with and so won't be soaking up that much energy.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Who the gently caress browns cheese on nachos? poo poo's nasty, yo.

Also where are your beans?

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
GWS, I am in search of a replacement coffee maker for my dad. We gave him a cuisinart grind & brew years ago and while he didn't like the grind part, he did love the insulated carafe and programmable auto-brew features.

I figured rather than just go out and buy another cuisinart or kinda blindly choose based on amazon reviews, I would turn to you for suggestions. My dad is awesome and this would be a late birthday present, so while I'd like to stay under $100, I'm sure I could convince my husband to go as high as $200 if it ends up being something that will last him for years and years.

edit: vvv I forgot about the coffee thread, thanks! And my dad is super awesome and this is one of the rare times where we can totally afford to spoil him a little :3:

1up fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 9, 2012

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.

1up posted:

GWS, I am in search of a replacement coffee maker for my dad. We gave him a cuisinart grind & brew years ago and while he didn't like the grind part, he did love the insulated carafe and programmable auto-brew features.

I figured rather than just go out and buy another cuisinart or kinda blindly choose based on amazon reviews, I would turn to you for suggestions. My dad is awesome and this would be a late birthday present, so while I'd like to stay under $100, I'm sure I could convince my husband to go as high as $200 if it ends up being something that will last him for years and years.

I am not a coffee person, but maybe if you crossposted in the Coffee Sperg thread they would have some good advice for you, or they might have covered a similar topic?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437887

(edit) Also you are a good child if you'd drop $200 on a parent's birthday present. :angel:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
We have a coffee thread!

The "Rolls Royce" of automatic drip coffee is considered the Technivorm Moccamaster. It is $300.

traveling midget, PainBreak and Comic recommend the $80 Zojirushi Fresh Brew as a cheaper but good machine
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437887#post395605691

Bob_McBob brought up the Bonavita Automatic with thermal carafe for $150
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437887&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18#post399384822

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I had a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. I only used like 3 of them and put the rest in a small tupperware in the fridge. How long do these things stay good?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Doh004 posted:

I had a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. I only used like 3 of them and put the rest in a small tupperware in the fridge. How long do these things stay good?

Until they go bad. Depending on how cold your fridge is I'd give it a week to two weeks. You can always ziploc and freeze, too. They'll keep that way until freezerburn kills them.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Turkeybone posted:

Whoa whoa WHOA to you, sir. You said "I've made it and it's fine" so I wasn't in any rush to help you out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idq9DRbMZ7I

Here's quick and dirty youtube on it (since I paid those fuckers tuition I feel okay in just posting the video). If you add tarragon stems to the reduction and chopped tarragon leaves to the final sauce, you have bearnaise.

I too agree whole butter is better. The BEST thing you can do is separate the butter from the milk solids (just melt it and pour the fat off the top) -- then you can use the milk solid stuff as "water" when you need to thin out the sauce.

Basically once you have your thickish-cooked yolks, add the butter VERY slowly.. literally a Tspoon at a time so you dont break it too soon. It will "break" when there's too much loose oil or if the melted butter is too hot (should be able to stick your finger in without hurting). If the sauce starts looking shiny/glossy on the top, then add a splash of water/the milk solid stuff.

Then at the end add s&p and lemon.

What particularly are you worried about, the flavor, the consistency? the breaking?

I was mainly worried about the taste (because I don't eat eggs generally so I don't know what to look for), but also breaking. I added the butter too fast and it got way too thick, I added a couple drops of hot water and that worked out ok. I killed the poached eggs at least :(. I added the lemon before the butter as well, whoops

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Time to play What's That Meat!

I went to a halal market and it's their butcher's day off and there was just a pile of shrink-wrapped meat and a dude who identified things as being "uhhhh, from the back?". This is supposedly beef. IRC thinks it might be veal. Any ideas?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

GrAviTy84 posted:

Until they go bad. Depending on how cold your fridge is I'd give it a week to two weeks. You can always ziploc and freeze, too. They'll keep that way until freezerburn kills them.

Hmmm yeah, older than that. I'll just throw it out as they're pretty cheap and I have another, smaller can, unopened.

Another question: I just bought some flank steak. Looking in my fridge, I think I could do an "asian" marinade. Would this be offensive? Soy sauce, siracha, fresh ginger, garlic and pepper. Only acid I have is lime, red wine vinegar and apple cider vinegar.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 10, 2012

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Hmmm yeah, older than that. I'll just throw it out as they're pretty cheap and I have another, smaller can, unopened.

Another question: I just bought some flank steak. Looking in my fridge, I think I could do an "asian" marinade. Would this be offensive? Soy sauce, siracha, fresh ginger, garlic and pepper. Only acid I have is lime, red wine vinegar and apple cider vinegar.

Add some brown sugar and that's pretty much the marinade we use at home. It's super tasty.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
OK so I have some dry rub...can someone tell me the best way to make a 3.5 lb slab of oven-roasted baby back ribs? (no sauce basting, plz)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Leviathan posted:

OK so I have some dry rub...can someone tell me the best way to make a 3.5 lb slab of oven-roasted baby back ribs? (no sauce basting, plz)

Brine it if you feel like it, rub it (maybe a coat to mustard for flavor and to help the rub stick), set your oven for ~250-275 and let it go til the meat hits 190ish. Consider making a mop out of cider vinegar and maybe some other tasty things and apply a little bit of that every hour or so, just enough to make it glossy (should be very thin).

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 10, 2012

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
How long / well does grilled food keep? Most of the time I end up grilling its just for myself or maybe or 1 or 2 other people, and I feel like I am wasting a lot of charcoal, especially since it isn't exactly cheap. Can I just grill giant mounds of meat and store it away, or does it get gross quickly? I'd obviously prefer fresh, but it seems like such a waste.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Honey Badger posted:

How long / well does grilled food keep? Most of the time I end up grilling its just for myself or maybe or 1 or 2 other people, and I feel like I am wasting a lot of charcoal, especially since it isn't exactly cheap. Can I just grill giant mounds of meat and store it away, or does it get gross quickly? I'd obviously prefer fresh, but it seems like such a waste.

I store several pieces of Char Siu when I make it. I freeze and then reheat with a combo of microwave and oven to recrisp the outside. Dunno about anything else, but stuff should reheat ok for a few days in the fridge.

If you really want to save on charcoal, just get a Weber Smokey Joe. It's about 30 dollars and perfect for 2-3 person meals and is a miser with charcoal. You can also easily convert it into a water smoker. Also, stock up on charcoal during Memorial Day, Independence day, and Labor day sales. Home Depot and Lowes have deals like 8 bucks for 40 pounds.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I really like a good, hearty stew, like beef bourguignon. But sometimes I don't feel like eating meat, or I don't have any around. I sometimes want a vegetarian stew. What could I do to get a vegetable stew as hearty and rich as beef bourguignon? I'd guess I could substitute out the beef for a shitload of mushrooms, but surely there are other options.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I really like a good, hearty stew, like beef bourguignon. But sometimes I don't feel like eating meat, or I don't have any around. I sometimes want a vegetarian stew. What could I do to get a vegetable stew as hearty and rich as beef bourguignon? I'd guess I could substitute out the beef for a shitload of mushrooms, but surely there are other options.

Lots of good beef stock.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Turkeybone posted:

clarified butter :smug: :btroll:
Goose fat.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

SubG posted:

Seconding this. The tricky part of making really good coq au vin these days is usually finding a tough, gamey bird.

And to let it marinate for a night with the wine, braising brunoise, and maybe a shot of booze just because.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I smoked a 9 pound pork shoulder yesterday. It took much longer than I anticipated, so I didn't even shred the pork until about 10:00 PM. It was fuckin' delicious. Whats the best way to reheat it for pulled pork sandwiches? I was thinking foil pouches in the oven? Also, what are some other uses for pulled pork?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Phummus posted:

Also, what are some other uses for pulled pork?

Throw it in the rice cooker with some rice, add veggies however you like them.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Phummus posted:

I smoked a 9 pound pork shoulder yesterday. It took much longer than I anticipated, so I didn't even shred the pork until about 10:00 PM. It was fuckin' delicious. Whats the best way to reheat it for pulled pork sandwiches? I was thinking foil pouches in the oven? Also, what are some other uses for pulled pork?

I heat it right on the bun in the toaster oven, broiler, or oven. Then there are some little crispy bits on the top and the roll gets toasted a bit too. If you don't like a toasted bun with it, then on a cookie sheet.
I really like a little bit of crispiness on it though; if you don't, then I can't see any compelling reason not to just use a microwave.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Can anyone point me in the right direction as how to make my own pickles? I'm having trouble finding a good recipe and consensus as to how to best do it.

The intention is to fry them once they are done, not for sandwiches or anything else.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Phummus posted:

If you want moist reheated pulled pork, slowly reheat on the stove with a medium-low setting with a splash of apple juice mixed with a little bit of your dry rub. Smoked pork makes great soft tacos.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

CuddleChunks posted:

Add some brown sugar and that's pretty much the marinade we use at home. It's super tasty.

The marinade came out well and the flank steak was tasty. I cooked it on a super hot grill cast iron pan but I had an issue with it. I got a great crust on the outside and the inside was still rare/medium rare but when I went to cut it against the grain and on an angle, it seemed the outside almost separated from the middle. I tried it with my sharp chef's knife as well as a sharp serrated knife and both had the same thing happen. Did I do something wrong?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Doh004 posted:

The marinade came out well and the flank steak was tasty. I cooked it on a super hot grill cast iron pan but I had an issue with it. I got a great crust on the outside and the inside was still rare/medium rare but when I went to cut it against the grain and on an angle, it seemed the outside almost separated from the middle. I tried it with my sharp chef's knife as well as a sharp serrated knife and both had the same thing happen. Did I do something wrong?

When you say the outside separated from the inside I'm picturing a meat donut of some kind, is that what you're saying happened? How thick is the steak, and how thick(wide) are the slices you are trying for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Steve Yun posted:

We have a coffee thread!

The "Rolls Royce" of automatic drip coffee is considered the Technivorm Moccamaster. It is $300.

traveling midget, PainBreak and Comic recommend the $80 Zojirushi Fresh Brew as a cheaper but good machine
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437887#post395605691

Bob_McBob brought up the Bonavita Automatic with thermal carafe for $150
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437887&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18#post399384822

I looked into this extensively with my coffee-snob husband, and we ended up going with the Zojirushi, and are happy with it.