Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

xd posted:

I wanna know how the hell I get 45mpg out of a GSX-R750 when I constantly got 40 mpg out of my old 600cc F4i no matter how I rode it. EFI improvements?

Interesting...not a ton of data points, but the Sportster 1200 entries on Fuelly suggest the reverse is true. Up to '06 carbureted models get mid 40s, which tracks with my own experience (and around 50 highway). '07+ EFI seems to be around 40. Maybe they're all using the Maximum Freedom map.

Cool site, I might start using this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
State of tune can influence fuel economy - out-of-sync throttle bodies or carburetors, worn chains, hell even tire condition has an impact.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Which one of you Denver goons was riding around on your road-glide today helmetless, in a cutoff T smoking a cigarette... I know it was one of you :argh:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

SaNChEzZ posted:

Which one of you Denver goons was riding around on your road-glide today helmetless, in a cutoff T smoking a cigarette... I know it was one of you :argh:

Wasn't her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9CmVUSI2to&feature=related

But I watched the entire thing just to make sure...

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

My little 250 has been getting ~60mpg for almost the whole duration that I've had it.

Yay for tiny bikes! :derp:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SaNChEzZ posted:

If you're in Denver, keep an eye out for a tan/brown KLR or a red V-Strom with Stromtrooper decals on the side!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Odette posted:

My little 250 has been getting ~60mpg for almost the whole duration that I've had it.

I've got a 50cc, I get 80mpg+ :colbert:

oh god I need to get a real bike

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Odette posted:

My little 125 dual sport averages around 80 mpg as long as I keep it under 55 or so which is easy since it tops out at 60.

SV is averaging around 43

CRF is a thirsty bastard, drinks gas just slightly faster than oil

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I ride my SV pretty drat hard. I get 35-40mpg generally. I've gotten as high as maybe 42 or 43, but that's when I'm riding like a babyman which has only really happened once because I wanted to see what kind of mileage it was capable of.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I've got a 50cc, I get 80mpg+ :colbert:

oh god I need to get a real bike

500cc with 70 mpg

But it's a Blast :(

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008
Long journey of mainly aggressive twisty stuff gets me 40mpg (UK) average on the Speed Triple. It has got an instantaneous and average trip consumption feature which turns out to be within 1mpg according to my calculations. 60ish mph easy going on motorway nets me 60+mpg on the instantaneous thing, but I really can't be arsed with long motorway journeys. City gives me like >30mpg, oh well..

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

gently caress! The guys over at thegsresources.com has pretty much convinved me I should do my piston rings and valve guides. I'll be risking the Spain trip if I gently caress up bad, but it would suck to have a broken down bike in the middle of the Banderas Reales.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

gently caress! The guys over at thegsresources.com has pretty much convinved me I should do my piston rings and valve guides. I'll be risking the Spain trip if I gently caress up bad, but it would suck to have a broken down bike in the middle of the Banderas Reales.

or get a new bike... :devil:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I've been averaging about 48-50mpg with all highway driving (68 mile commute one way).

I found out today that my odometer actually reads 5% low, so my mileage is actually higher.

In other news, I saw some nice(?) bikes today. There was what appeared to be a cafe'd buell ridden by an insufferable hipster. "74 cid" badges on the tail. Straight pipes, pipe tape. 3/4 helmet, goggles, neckbeard, tight pants with wallet chain.

Then a streetfightered literbike of some flavor. I wanna say yamaha R1 from the tail light, but it could have been anything. No fairings, agressive clipons. Mishmash of HID and LED headlamps, LED tail. Sliders. Guy was wearing 2pc leather and had a pink mohawk glued to his helmet.

If I hadn't been just pacing these guys in traffic, I could have maybe gotten some pictures.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That is an option. But I can't afford what I want and I don't want what I can afford. Apart from perhaps a Cagiva Gran Canyon which I would have to import from Germany or Italy but which might come with all sorts of terrible desmodromities.

I'll channel the spirit of Easter and ponder what Jesus would do.

Apart from pin it to win it, I think the lord's way is sticking with the old bike.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

That is an option. But I can't afford what I want and I don't want what I can afford. Apart from perhaps a Cagiva Gran Canyon which I would have to import from Germany or Italy but which might come with all sorts of terrible desmodromities.

I'll channel the spirit of Easter and ponder what Jesus would do.

Apart from pin it to win it, I think the lord's way is sticking with the old bike.

you and me both brother.. I was looking at some bikes on mobile.de the other day. Prices weren't that far off UK prices but there was a lot more variety, as well as instead of just one or two (or none at all) examples of otherwise obscure bikes, there would be several.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Weird that the UK should have a poor selection really. I've perused autotrader.co.uk now and then and it isn't a very big selection considering the population numbers. I suppose the wetter climate makes it more difficult to keep the bikes for longer, but the Germans are avid riders. Another site to check out is http://moto.it . Italians have tons of bikes, great climate and often low mileage. It's never far to ride for a good bite to eat.

There are tons of bikes that are nice and that check many of my boxes but I the ones I can afford means 8-10 year old bikes which needs fixing and which might harder to find parts. And there's some pride in it too I guess. Up on the mountain pass among the Ewans and Charlies of business administration, riding on crossply tires and without aluminum panniers. More slowly, admittedly. :D

Possibly next year, more likely 2014, I'll get a Tiger 800 that someone else has taken the depreciation hit on and kitted out to my liking.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Ola posted:

valve guides? not just the valve guide seals? Are you sucking down lots of oil or something?

on the bright side, swapping piston rings is a four hour ordeal. it's really not all that bad.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I got carried away. Yeah, oil seals only, valve guides if they appear damaged. I'm warming to the idea of changing rings, but it does seem daunting. My oil consumption is pretty high and since I'm taking the head off to fix some broken exhaust bolts, might as well do what need's doing in there.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I promise, it's really easy.

And really, high oil consumption doesn't "hurt" anything. It might coke the valves a little. I don't know how high yours is though.

Sadly, there aren't any blocks that are compatible so you can just swap to a bigger displacement motor while you're in there. On my GS550 the swap to 673cc is as simple as putting the original parts back on.

You should do a leakdown test before you consider loving with swapping the rings. If your leakdown is solid on a warm engine, I'd just go for the valve seals. Heck, you can do the valve seals with the head still on the bike. :-)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Weird that the UK should have a poor selection really. I've perused autotrader.co.uk now and then and it isn't a very big selection considering the population numbers. I suppose the wetter climate makes it more difficult to keep the bikes for longer, but the Germans are avid riders. Another site to check out is http://moto.it . Italians have tons of bikes, great climate and often low mileage. It's never far to ride for a good bite to eat.

There are tons of bikes that are nice and that check many of my boxes but I the ones I can afford means 8-10 year old bikes which needs fixing and which might harder to find parts. And there's some pride in it too I guess. Up on the mountain pass among the Ewans and Charlies of business administration, riding on crossply tires and without aluminum panniers. More slowly, admittedly. :D

Possibly next year, more likely 2014, I'll get a Tiger 800 that someone else has taken the depreciation hit on and kitted out to my liking.

I expect the selection will go up now that the weather is getting nicer, but for instance there are zero guzzi v11's for sale at the moment on autotrader.co.uk and the one on mcn isn't on the dealer's site, but there are a couple of handfuls at least in Germany. There are only ever one or two mv agusta brutale 750s for sale at any given time in the UK (not that I can afford them at the moment, but I do like to look), but there are tonnes in Germany. I think the UK buyers just panned on the 750 in favour of the big bore one. I'll definitely check that Italian site, since it is the home market of the bikes I'm most interested in.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Do you have to pay loads of taxes and duties to import to the UK? What about MPH markings on the speedo? At least you don't have to worry about left hand driver's seat. :v:

I got an info mail from http://www.bestbikingroads.com saying they're doing some revamping. It looks pretty similar to what it used to...which is to say a bit clunky and dated, but it's still a WIP and the one thing they have done, which improves the usability massively, is to display the routes as routes, not just start/end flags which you then have to click. Well done, will be buying their app if only to support.

e:

Sacre bleu! Les twisties du France in une interface trés useable. Bon.

Ola fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 8, 2012

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Spent my Easter weekend doing the MSF in SoCal. Everything went great! In fact, my group had no walk-offs or failures for that matter. The instructors were great and I had a blast. I hadn't actually learned any bad habits in the ~200 miles I had ridden without formal training. Most of the stuff they taught was told to me by a buddy of mine in Houston, but it was a great experience none-the-less.

Also picked up Proficient Motorcycling to read at the airport while I wait to fly back to Austin this weekend!

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
This is kinda motorcycle related. This dude put an R1 engine on a go kart and rides it around town. Holy loving awesome, Batman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apd1KBjLV8k

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Fangs404 posted:

This is kinda motorcycle related. This dude put an R1 engine on a go kart and rides it around town. Holy loving awesome, Batman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apd1KBjLV8k

Holy poo poo that's sweet!

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
3:35: tries to impress girls, hits neutral :negative:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

AncientTV posted:

3:35: tries to impress girls, hits neutral :negative:

I saw that, lol. Would feel like a bit of an idiot. Pretty cool little go cart though - I wonder how hard it would be to make it road legal?

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Shimrod posted:

I saw that, lol. Would feel like a bit of an idiot. Pretty cool little go cart though - I wonder how hard it would be to make it road legal?

http://underwood-racing.com/project_seven.htm

Still would love to make one of these. Lotus 7 replica, R1 powered.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Okay so I was riding with my buddy the other day and we were going towards an interchange here in San Antonio. I got off the road before and took the surface road up to where it interesects with the highway instead of going on the interchange. When we stopped my buddy was like "wtf? Why did we just go this way."

There is a reason for this. I am scared shitless of heights. I do not like standing on the 10th floor of a building close to a window, let alone anything higher. So I avoid this thing altogether on my bike because its loving TERRIFYING!

Its the top one that freaks me out, and if you look at it and say "Well hell that doesnt seem too bad," I give to you exhibit b.

Thats a 2 story building. Thats the interchange being built. Its like 200* feet in the air. It freaks me out and I dont like it. It doesnt really bother me in my truck but on my bike it scares the bejeesus out of me.

Anyway does anyone else have any problems like this?

edit: Just read an article saying a guy jumped off it a few months and its 200 feet in the air. Oh hell no.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 9, 2012

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Yes, I'll be damned if I ever go over this loving thing on my bike. I get cold sweats just in a car. This all seems to be happening as I get older.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_Skyway_Bridge

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I grew up riding and driving over this:

Spaghetti Junction in Atlanta has some rather tall overpasses... I think the tallest is 90' in the air.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

85 north to 285 west -- I don't remember if that's the highest, but it's the most fun to take balls fast.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Safety Dance posted:

85 north to 285 west -- I don't remember if that's the highest, but it's the most fun to take balls fast.

Yeah, that's a good one. There is also a massive one from Alpharetta to 285 - I don't remember the road names 100% any more...

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Top one is 285 east to 85 north. It's a large sweeper, lot of fun on a bike or in a car.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Errant Gin Monks posted:

bikes + heights

We have some similarly tall overpasses/interchanges here in Seattle, and IIRC a few months ago a young guy crashed on one (one of the one-lane entrance/exit deals) and tossed himself over the edge. He died. I believe alcohol was suspected.

This bridge gets me sometimes, but I'm never on it on the scooter. If I get caught in slow/stopped traffic - which, this is Seattle, so that's pretty likely - on this thing I get progressively more nervous.

It's nearly a mile long and 50 years old and this area is "due" for a big earthquake :stonk:

e: oh god it's a similar design to the Minnesota bridge that collapsed a few years ago :negative:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
On-ramps seem to be the best. There's an awesome cambered uphill ramp here in town accessing a bit of highway that no one ever uses that is brand new pavement. It ends up making a bit more than a 180 by the time you're done. Tons of fun on the DRZ.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
My favorite bridges are the ones that don't actually have a solid surface, instead they're a metal meshwork. So when you look down at 50mph you see straight down to the water. Awesome.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

My favorite bridges are the ones that don't actually have a solid surface, instead they're a metal meshwork. So when you look down at 50mph you see straight down to the water. Awesome.

In WA we have those that are staggered Mesh - Pavement - Mesh. On the 690 you could clutch up on the mesh, get a sick rolling burnout going, hit the pavement and loft the front up, and set it back down when you hit mesh again and the rear spins back up.

Tons of fun if you are OK with being a bit sketchy...

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Z3n posted:

We have several fully steel-grate bridges in Seattle and I hate them. I hate how they grab my tires, I hate looking down and seeing water (especially when I get stopped on one and have plenty of time to do so), I hate the thought of wiping out on one and being completely shredded to bits, and I hate that they're all drawbridges and frequently make me sit around for 10 minutes while some rich bastard's sailboat passes by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Z3n posted:

I've never looked down and I live in a very bridge heavy area. I can't believe I've never done that. I feel so dumb.