Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

I bookmarked this article 3 years ago because I had a feeling I'd end up linking it a lot in the future. I was right.

http://www.businessweek.com/investing/insights/blog/archives/2008/09/community_reinv.html

Also, here's this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/07/us/07baltimore.html

Good articles, but the comments on the first are terrible.

I've only read part of it but All the Devils Are Here is also a good resource, and I've also seen several interviews with the authors of the book. Interestingly, they show that a significant portion of those subprime loans that ruined the economy actually weren't given to people getting mortgages on their first homes but rather people taking out second and/or third mortgages on homes they already own. So, it's less about people getting "homes they couldn't afford" and more about people mortgaging their homes because of the inflated valures of the housing market to support lifestyles they couldn't afford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Dr Christmas posted:

I think there is an actual law that he's misinterpreting to make his point, and the Fox talking heads conveniently left out that it was implemented decades ago, long enough ago that it wouldn't suddenly gently caress everything up in 2008.
Can anyone more knowledgeable enlighten us?

The reason why banks went after subprime loans that they often times knew wouldn't get repaid is because the banks didn't care if they got repaid: instead of having their revenue come from the repayment of the home loans (which would force banks to be concerned with repayment) the banks were bundling up those loans and selling them as investments while charging a fee to do so. It didn't matter to them if the loans were never repaid because they didn't own the loans anymore and got the money from the fees already.

This became a real problem though because banks were also investing in this garbage. When the bottom fell out on the housing market, a very worrying problem arose: banks had no idea what their goddamn finances were. Were the things they held assets, or debts? What was the value of accounts and investments on their books? They didn't know, and there was no straightforward way to figure it out because of all the bundling and rebundling that was done.

For example, a variety of loans were bundled up, then divided into chunks and sold to various investors and banks. Sometimes what banks would do is buy up the riskiest chunks and then rebundle those chunks into a new bundle to split and resell, netting at least some of those risky loans as AAA rated investments.

-----

The whole thing really was and is a clusterfuck, and while government was involved, much of the problem with government wasn't forcing bad loans but taking a hands-off free market anti-regulation stance on the entire thing. Would actual government oversight and regulation have stopped the crisis? It's impossible to state definitively but based on what I've read I think it's unlikely. More likely it would've mitigated some of the collateral damage and kept things from hitting so hard. Rating agencies, investors, banking institutions all played a role in the collapse brought about by this poo poo and it's hard to imagine that government oversight alone would've caught it all.

All The Devils Are Here, as linked above, is a great book on the subject. For a quick, simplified look at the basics of the crisis, I've found this video to be pretty on the spot.

http://vimeo.com/3261363

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Government oversight would have stopped what was happening, regulations already in place had to be loosened to allow banks and other institutions to leverage themselves so heavily.

Unfortunately capitalism has become synonymous with a completely free market to the point that plenty regard market regulation as an attack on capitalism.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

quote:

Consider this sampling.

Time asks Nikki Haley if she gives Sikh cab drivers bigger tips
Time: “In New York City, which you’re visiting for a couple of days, a lot of our taxi drivers are Sikhs. If you get one, are you going to give them a slightly bigger tip?”

Via The Hill.

This huge bias and egregious breach of ethics was part of a media campaign, not to report facts, but to push an agenda and try Zimmerman in the press. BAC, NBC, CNN and their cohorts altered the evidence and dangerously inflamed racial tensions. ABC launched their investigation of their own malfeasance as “a breaking story” and even now refuse to name the person who did it even though he or she was fired. Why? Because when it comes out, and it will, people are going to look at every story the person worked on, and we should. Who else was harmed by this? More importantly what else is ABC covering up.

ABC News exclusive: ABC News was wrong about George Zimmerman’s injuries

http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/02/abc-news-exclusive-abc-news-was-wrong-about-george-zimmermans-injuries/

NBC Launches Internal Probe Over Edited 911 Call In Trayvon Martin Shooting
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/02/nbc-launches-internal-probe-over-edited-11-call-in-trayvon-martin-shooting/

We saw CBS do similar things on 60 minutes with the fabricated story about Bush. JC worked with the producer in that story and she was run out of Seattle for doing something similar. Her father even denounced her ends justifying the means philosophy on the air. So CBS promoted her to 60 Minutes and were stunned when she got caught again. This time of course Dan Rather was involved. The MSM neglected to mention that Rather’s daughter is a high ranking Democrat official in the area where the supposed documents originated or that Rather had given partisan speeches there.

For second time in three weeks, a CNN reporter says ?n*gger? on live TV [VIDEO]. (where IS the outrage!? http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/09/for-second-time-in-three-weeks-a-cnn-reporter-says-ngger-on-live-tv-video/

More where is the outrage:

Ex-DC Mayor Barry Comment Critical of Asian Business Owners...

"We got to do something about these Asians coming in and opening up businesses and dirty shops... They ought to go. I'm going to say that right now. But we need African-American businesspeople to be able to take their places, too..."

· Daily Kos Lays an Easter Egg: Religion Is Insanity, ‘Emotional Blackmail,’ and ‘Superimposed Guilt’…
· Huffington Post Promotes ‘Queer Christ’…
· NBC Accuses Federal Judge of Bringing Politics Into Courtroom By Questioning Obama…

· Talk Host Mike Malloy Unhinged: Menstruating women will be be shot and killed, just like Tayvon Martin…

Coca Cola Sides with Reported 9-11 Truther Van Jones in Voter Integrity Battle…
Video: School Drops “God Bless the USA” From Concert…
Youths Screaming “This Is For Trayvon” Beat 78 Year-Old White Man in Toledo

I know the person who heads the Washington news council. He is scrupulously non-political but he will tell you that bias in news coverage runs heavily in favor of the left: Update: WA NPR Affiliate KUOW-FM Receives Tough Decision from Washington News Council on Ethics Complaint…

Is it possible or even probable that stories have run on Fox with a bias. Sure it is. And that’s wrong too. But it’s one Fox network and ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, PBS, CNN and all of that airtime spinning the other way. And when they get caught Omerta controls. I won’t even go there with Keith Olberman who was kept on the air long after he should have been fired for naked partisanship during political election coverage or on air hosts wishing Dick Cheney dead on the air etc. I follow left and right daily. You clearly favor one side. There are some inappropriate things said on the right and that should be condemned but there is also some vicious stuff on the left, and a lot more of it, but except for Fox these nutbars scream into an echo chamber. I remember when reporting was much more balanced but with the coming of age of the hippy generation that evaporated with the rise and teaching of advocacy journalism. Just count the number of times the labels are applied to anyone with even mildly conservative views compared to the lack of same on even the most outlandish and far-left people. It is an insidious bias. There is a reason why the media ranks right down with used car salesmen in trust by the American people. They’ve earned it. We can argue about this until the cows come home but it is not a good use of our time. I have nearly 60 years of perspective on the changes. Fox is part of it but Fox is also a response to the bias of the left.

Yes, Fox is less evil than all other news networds and the media skews left hardcore.

Anyone have any good examples of horrendously unmatchable evil things Fox News has done?

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
I like how they say ABC "altered the evidence" to make Zimmerman look uninjured and base that revelation on the digitally enhanced (i.e. altered) video that shows what might be an injury.

They aired unedited video, that's altering the evidence!

And just a reminder, NBC fires people if they selectively edit content, but selective editing of content is just business as usual at fox http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/26/the-ridiculist-sean-hannity/

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Nibbles141 posted:

Government oversight would have stopped what was happening, regulations already in place had to be loosened to allow banks and other institutions to leverage themselves so heavily.

Unfortunately capitalism has become synonymous with a completely free market to the point that plenty regard market regulation as an attack on capitalism.

That's the part that gets to me, when people act like their interpretation of something is the only legitimate version, which is especially common with capitalism, religion and the Constitution.

I'm really loving sick of hearing people critical of unregulated capitalism be labeled as "Marxists," people critical of conservative interpretations of the Constitution (e.g. originalism) labeled as anti-American or anti-Constitution, and those who don't subscribe to a conservative form of Christianity dismissed as not being Christian at all.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Yes, Fox is less evil than all other news networds and the media skews left hardcore.

Anyone have any good examples of horrendously unmatchable evil things Fox News has done?

The best one in my recent memory is their campaign to make Common out to be some kind of cop killing thug by selectively grabbing one line about killing from one of his songs and neglecting to even mention the very next line which condemned the previous line about killing; that and his support for a woman he believes was unjustly convicted of killing a cop via song. O'Reilly, Hannity, and Beck too, if memory serves, had a field day with it.

Jon Stewart did a really good interview with O'Reilly over how ridiculous the entire Fox News 'selective outrage' machine is, and how they're more than happy to support people like Nugent when they talk about making the president suck on his machine gun. I'm at work so I'm pressed for time, but I'm sure a quick google search will give you plenty of ammo.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Outfoxed is worth a watch.

King Ramses
Feb 22, 2011
Come to work this morning and find a fax for the boss waiting in the machine. Nothing new, I read it over and, what's this? A bullshit chain fax from the republicans. About how awful Obama is for stopping the keystone project. Need to charge them for wasting our paper.

Linked for large - http://i.imgur.com/PJ9nM.jpg

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

King Ramses posted:

Come to work this morning and find a fax for the boss waiting in the machine. Nothing new, I read it over and, what's this? A bullshit chain fax from the republicans. About how awful Obama is for stopping the keystone project. Need to charge them for wasting our paper.

"Not printed at governmental expense."

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Wait, are the Republicans seriously saying the Democrats are "anti development?" There is not a big enough ironicat for that sentence in the entire world.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

My favorite because it's so blatant and impossible to explain away:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Do you have a source for that?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Do you have a source for that?

Here you go http://mediamatters.org/research/200807020002

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

King Ramses posted:

Actually, I think unsolicited faxes can be used to sue the sender for damages.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/fax-advertising

If your boss has no prior business relationship with the National Republican Election Committee, then they violated the law.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
Our business has received several robo-calls from some Ron Paul group in California. I left the phone off the cradle once to see just how long it is and it rambles on about "are freedoms" for almost 22 minutes.

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

King Ramses posted:

You mean we could start buying oil from Canada? About time :ironicat:

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

zeroprime posted:

I like how they say ABC "altered the evidence" to make Zimmerman look uninjured and base that revelation on the digitally enhanced (i.e. altered) video that shows what might be an injury.

They aired unedited video, that's altering the evidence!
Part of the problem comes in the way the "enhanced" footage has been identified on news sources. Some honestly refer to it as enhanced, while others stated that the police had "released high-definition footage", implying (whether intentionally or not) that the altered footage was the original. poo poo, the fact that they refer to it as "high-definition" is infuriating enough (The YouTube release is in 480p, which is enhanced definition at best).

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Someone has to have that huge (1600x1200 or something) image of all of the Fox News "mistakes" and charts. I used to have it but can't find it right now.

e: Here it is:

SixPabst fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 9, 2012

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

King Ramses posted:

The best thing about Keystone is that it's pretty politically toxic in that most liberal of states, Nebraska.

I can guarantee you that the Nebraska Republican Party is praying that this letter doesn't get sent to Nebraskans.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
I have a folder from some old LF thread, sorry this doesn't serve the purpose of a single master image but I think it's pretty funny reading nevertheless.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Iceberg-Slim posted:

Wow. Attacking Fred Rogers?

Can they get any lower? How about pissing on MLK's statue or taking a poo poo on Rosa Parks' grave?

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

This one is funny because it's not immediately apparent why people were upset if they don't remember when the picture was from.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

mintskoal posted:

Someone has to have that huge (1600x1200 or something) image of all of the Fox News "mistakes" and charts. I used to have it but can't find it right now.

e: Here it is:

The tribalistic, spiteful, reptillian part of my brain that doesn't care about raising the level of American discourse wonders what would happen if MSNBC or CNN did an ad campaign that of a Daily Show-esque montage of the endless torrent of indefensible poo poo that flows from Fox News, the stuff that moderate conservatives would stop and blink at, like Glenn Beck's "You gotta shoot them in the head," and "the Muppets are Communist propaganda" stuff," and ended with a cheesy tagline like "No hatred, no lies, just news."

Yeah, Fox would do some false equivalency stuff, but the point is that now they are on the defensive.

These people have dedicated their lives to making sure poor people don't get medicine. Good people, and entire organizations, who dedicated their lives to helping the poor, have been utterly destroyed just by having Glenn Beck repeating their name and the Democrats simply refusing to fight back. I want to see one, just one of them, actually get hurt because of the poo poo they've said.

What does it say about me that I think this :ohdear:

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 10, 2012

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

The tribalistic, spiteful, reptillian part of my brain that doesn't care about raising the level of American discourse wonders what would happen if MSNBC or CNN did an ad campaign that of a Daily Show-esque montage of the endless torrent of indefensible poo poo that flows from Fox News, the stuff that moderate conservatives would stop and blink at, like Glenn Beck's "You gotta shoot them in the head," and "the Muppets are Communist propaganda" stuff," and ended with a cheesy tagline like "No hatred, no lies, just news."

Yeah, Fox would do some false equivalency stuff, but the point is that now they are on the defensive.

These people have dedicated their lives to making sure poor people don't get medicine. Good people, and entire organizations, who dedicated their lives to helping the poor, have been utterly destroyed just by having Glenn Beck repeating their name and the Democrats simply refusing to fight back. I want to see one, just one of them, actually get hurt because of the poo poo they've said.

What does it say about me that I think this :ohdear:

To me, "raising the level of discourse" requires that we point out bullshit when it happens, but just not pulling the same bullshit as the people you are criticizing. Look at Edward R. Murrow, his reports about Joe McCarthy were scathing and extremely important in getting McCarthy censured and ending McCarthy's witch hunt. Murrow used McCarthy's own words to show how absurd and outrageous McCarthy was, and The Daily Show and The Colbert Report do pretty great jobs emulating Murrow from a comedic/satirical perspective.

I think your idea is great, but I think many conservatives will simply write off MSNBC/CNN airing it as Fox News rivals simply trying to "steal" viewers. It would probably work much better as an independent internet campaign from someone who doesn't have a financial interest in Fox News being exposed as liars and partisan ideologues.

RPZip posted:

This one is funny because it's not immediately apparent why people were upset if they don't remember when the picture was from.

poo poo, I couldn't remember when that picture was from, so I used TinEye to find it and discovered this gem with all the false "D-" attributions from Fox News.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Here's a good chart they aired just a few months ago:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201112120005

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

cbirdsong posted:

Here's a good chart they aired just a few months ago:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201112120005

I'm really curious what it is like to work behind the scenes at Fox News.

Do the people that work there realize how blatantly dishonest and partisan they are being and they just don't care/feel justified in doing so because of the rest of the "liberal media" OR do they just convince themselves that these are honest mistakes that no one is doing intentionally and believe that everyone there is motivated by a commitment to facts and news from a conservative perspective?

I mean, I'd really like to know how these people deal with the blatant misrepresentation of facts by the on-air personalities and the obvious opinion and partisanship in what are supposed to be news segments. Does Roger Ailes rule with such an iron fist that only someone as popular, successful, and well-paid as Shepherd Smith can even approach being openly critical and dissenting from the party line? Are all these behind-the-scenes production staff just trying to keep their jobs, causing them to tolerate this bullshit or do they drink the Kool Aide too?

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
Someone that worked in journalism mentioned on here that they try to hire the true believers, and that severely limits the talent pool. You get a mix of intentional mistakes and a much higher rate of unintentional mistakes, plus a management/editorial staff that is too incompetent to catch a lot of stuff.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

A lot of their orders on how to present a story come directly from Murdoch's desk as well. I believe there were some such memos released a few years ago.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

My favorite is "DID THE RIGHT PEOPLE GET VOTED OFF 'AMERICAN IDOL' THIS WEEK?"

Fox News, focusing on the important stuff while your Kenyan Marxist Muslim Secularist """ :airquote: PRESIDENT :airquote: """ golfs or whatever

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

babies havin rabies posted:

A lot of their orders on how to present a story come directly from Murdoch's desk as well. I believe there were some such memos released a few years ago.
Or just regurgitated GOP strategy memos.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201202200003

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

babies havin rabies posted:

Do you mean Ailes, or is it Murdoch as well? Murdoch always struck me as the kind of guy who just likes money without the pretense of helping his fellow man, while Ailes is the kind of person who will unironically call NPR Nazis and has paranoid feelings about "the gays."

Every once in a while, some idiot bigot says "Don't call me a homophobe, I'm not afraid of gays :smug:," but Roger Ailes has an actual, dictionary definition, persistent, irrational fear of gay people.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 10, 2012

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Dr Christmas posted:

Murdoch always struck me as the kind of guy who just likes money without the pretense of helping his fellow man,

There's no difference between this type of person and a true believer in this context.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I'm just amazed they didn't use a picture of Newports for the whole, "would you vote for a smoker in the white house!?!?!?" thing.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

rscott posted:

I'm just amazed they didn't use a picture of Newports for the whole, "would you vote for a smoker in the white house!?!?!?" thing.

You are the real racist.
:smug:

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
This is incredibly on-topic: http://gawker.com/5900710/announcing-our-newest-hire-a-current-fox-news-channel-employee

quote:

I always intended to keep my mouth shut. The plan was simple: get hired, keep my head down and my views to myself, work for a few months, build my resume, then eventually hop to a new job that didn't make me cringe every morning when I looked in the mirror.

That was years ago. My cringe muscles have turned into crow's feet. The ten resumes a month I was sending out dwindled into five, then two, then one, then zero. No one wants me. I'm blacklisted.

I work at Fox News Channel.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

You are the real racist.
:smug:

Sometimes when you stare into the abyss, it stares back into you.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

zeroprime posted:

Someone that worked in journalism mentioned on here that they try to hire the true believers, and that severely limits the talent pool. You get a mix of intentional mistakes and a much higher rate of unintentional mistakes, plus a management/editorial staff that is too incompetent to catch a lot of stuff.

Ah, so it's like the Justice Department under George W. Bush that would almost exclusively hire from fourth-tier law schools at conservative, fundamentalist Christian universities like Liberty university and Regents university so that the DoJ would be ideologically pure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay

rscott posted:

There's an amazing picture that somehow I've lost of Reagan advertising cigarettes, like bald-faced there he is. Wish I still had it.