Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Elysiume posted:

Seriously? :stare:
Cool, I'd actually been meaning to ask that.

Yep, seriously. Thats now it works. I liked the shifted camera angle when 'sprinting' out of combat :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
So can anyone outline roughly what the difference is in ME3 if the original council survived?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

So can anyone outline roughly what the difference is in ME3 if the original council survived?

They're less of a jerk to you (but not much)

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

"Dude, thanks for saving us, turns out you were right about the reapers, buuut we're not going to actually help you."

That about it?

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

I would have really liked an all human council option to have stayed in, even if it was like "Well we ordered the Citadel fleet to go help Earth but since it's mostly aliens and they hate us they ignored the order so welp, can't help you."

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

"Dude, thanks for saving us, turns out you were right about the reapers, buuut we're not going to actually help you."

That about it?
Well, in ME3 it's more like "thanks for saving us, turns out you were right about the reapers, but our planets are getting their poo poo pushed in too, and as long as the reapers are focused on Earth they aren't focused on us." I'm only like 2 hours in, though.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The new salarian councilor is a big Shepard fan for killing her predecessor and paving the way for her to take the job. The new asari councilor is a little more cold than the old one who was the nicest councilor. Turian guy is basically the same.

E: Original council gives you the Destiny Ascension war asset. You can try to yell at the turian for not believing but he just says you can place blame later.

Dr. Abysmal fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 9, 2012

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

Count Choculitis posted:

That smile! So cute! And I wish I knew who Kaidan's model is. I have tumblred and googled with no success. :(

EDIT:

Perfect timing on my tumblr dashboard - face models for manShep, Kaidan (apparently Jeff Zalzali), Jacob, Vega, Miranda, Samara, Liara, Kai Leng, and Zaeed! Oh apparently they might not all be totally accurate but they DO look very similar.

Wow they really did do an amazing job with Zaeed. I can't get over how uncanny that is to see.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:

magimix posted:

Seemed to me to be broadly in line with ME2, in terms of length. My first playthrough topped out just under 47 hours, and my second hit 44 I think. That said, I daresay you could blow through it pretty quickly if you only did the minimal pre-requisites to finish (as in ME1 and ME2).

Really? I'm a slow player, and I finished my first playthrough in 40 hours, and my second in 30. That's including all side missions, and not skipping dialogue etc.

Most ME2 playthroughs (including DLC) took me around 40 hours or so.

I would have really liked an all human council option to have stayed in, even if it was like "Well we ordered the Citadel fleet to go help Earth but since it's mostly aliens and they hate us they ignored the order so welp, can't help you."

The all human council was always a pretty dumb decision, but it's weird that they just removed it, as it's the likeliest outcome for a renegade Shepard in ME1. If you were too renegade, then Udina forces your hand and doesn't even allow you to create a new "proper" council.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

I mean in my Renegade playthroughs I never did it, and I was more of a half & half but I always let the Destiny Ascension die FOR THE GOOD OF THE MISSION but for people who wanted to play full on space-biggots and rule their galaxy side by side with their racist queen Ashley I think they should have left it in.

It's insanely uncharacteristic though to haul around in a spaceship full of alien spacebros and somehow be a human supremist but making those kinds of decisions is pretty much exactly what Mass Effect is about.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If the council dies at the end of ME1, they get replaced by councilors with different personalities that still don't matter.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Count Choculitis posted:

Perfect timing on my tumblr dashboard - face models for manShep, Kaidan (apparently Jeff Zalzali), Jacob, Vega, Miranda, Samara, Liara, Kai Leng, and Zaeed! Oh apparently they might not all be totally accurate but they DO look very similar.
They really should have had a face model for FemShep. :(

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Baron Bifford posted:

Tell me how to properly play a Vanguard. This biotic charge thing seems to get me killed all too often. Why should I leave the safety of cover to throw myself into the middle of an enemy squad?

I probably played Vanguard wrong since I hardly ever used Nova, but they're actually a really, really survivable class.

I decided to take barrier as a bonus power for damage reduction, specced for health/barrier bonuses, and took charge to give +100% barrier. I tried to keep my recharge bonus from weight at >150%, but at 200% when possible. I used Cyro ammo before I could fully evolve Incediary ammo as killing a frozen target with a charge results in a big AOE freezexplosion. A target on fire from incediary will also AOE explode if its killed by a charge but I found it to be a little less reliable at early evolutions.

If a target is in the middle of an enemy squad, and looking like its being electrocuted, or it's doing the fire dance and/or it's frozen/chilled (and also nearly dead), or it's affected by some kind of biotic powered, then you should charge it, if that squad is tightly clustered. Hitting a target under these conditions will result in an AOE explosion of some kind that may level the whole squad. Just make sure there aren't any pesky turrets around. This time around I found it's best to somehow detonate someone with a charge, then immediately shotgun-melee-shotgun its closest friend.

Otherwise, you should stick to charging guys that are fairly isolated or on the edges of the map. In the best case scenario, you'll charge the strays that are seperated from their comrades by a big section of cover. In those cases, you won't even need to stick to a wall after charging, the big section of cover is already blocking enemy fire for you. That lets you stay mobile and that's very good imho. Once you get good at spotting these kinds of cover, you'll get very, very, very good at getting right into fray and not taking significant damage. Remember though, if your barriers are about to fail, just charge any old thing. :)

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
So, my Mass Effect shame is that I never played Mass Effect all the way through. I played it when it was new and I just lost interest. Then, I played the Mass Effect 2 demo and loved it! So I played Mass Effect 2 through maybe 10 times counting the file I made for transfer to ME3. I beat that and went with the synthesis ending.
So like many people, I wasn't satisfied. I decided to rectify my save and have Wrex available, etc. I bought ME on Amazon for $6 the other day and... I still hate it. Vanguard is my favorite class, but it's pretty garbage without charge IMO. Also, gently caress the Mako Tank. I just can't do it people, this series is great but I'm just going to use a save and skip to ME2.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

treiz01 posted:

So, my Mass Effect shame is that I never played Mass Effect all the way through. I played it when it was new and I just lost interest. Then, I played the Mass Effect 2 demo and loved it! So I played Mass Effect 2 through maybe 10 times counting the file I made for transfer to ME3. I beat that and went with the synthesis ending.
So like many people, I wasn't satisfied. I decided to rectify my save and have Wrex available, etc. I bought ME on Amazon for $6 the other day and... I still hate it. Vanguard is my favorite class, but it's pretty garbage without charge IMO. Also, gently caress the Mako Tank. I just can't do it people, this series is great but I'm just going to use a save and skip to ME2.

Honestly you should just edit the coalesced.ini to make the gameplay trivial and give the Mako super speedy infinite jets, and use god armor so you oneshot everything in the game.

And just play for the story.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

treiz01 posted:

Skip the side-missions and just blast through the storyline planets. The Mako sections of those aren't nearly as terrible as the ones in the sidequests.
You really should play through the main storyline at least once, the final sections, the entire end-run is really good and has pretty awesome cinematics.

EDIT: Also, out of the main storyline planets, do Therum first, it's arguably the least interesting of them and once you're past the whole Citadel business and Therum, the game starts to pick up again.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 9, 2012

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Why are there less fuel depots in ME3? Who decided this.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

dwazegek posted:

Really? I'm a slow player, and I finished my first playthrough in 40 hours, and my second in 30. That's including all side missions, and not skipping dialogue etc.

Most ME2 playthroughs (including DLC) took me around 40 hours or so.
That sounds about accurate, but I think magimix' point that ME3's length is comparable to ME2 stands - if you compare the vanilla versions of both, anyway. ME2's DLC is worth something like 6-8 hours of additional playtime, after all.

Elysiume posted:

There's fuel depots in systems not invaded by the Reapers yet (because they get blown up when that happens). Usually, scanning in an 'occupied' system will turn up scrap floating around from which you can salvage fuel; that should be sufficient for exploring each star cluster. You can also get free refills by going to the Citadel.

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 9, 2012

EroticBlacksmith
May 13, 2010

Burning Mustache posted:

ME1 and 2 both actually had proper sprinting, but it would only work during combat when there were enemies around (and it would be severely limited). If you'd hold the sprint button outside of combat, you would actually jog just as fast as without it, the only difference was a slight shift of camera angle and zoom, giving just the impression of running faster :v:

In ME1 you can also force yourself into 'combat' by taking explosive damage from a barrel or one of your own grenades. I spent a lot of time hurting myself to get around the citadel faster.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Elysiume posted:

Any time you scan a system and find a ping in space it will be free fuel. You also get your tank topped off any time you dock at the Citadel. I went through the game and never had to buy fuel at depots because of this.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

EroticBlacksmith posted:

In ME1 you can also force yourself into 'combat' by taking explosive damage from a barrel or one of your own grenades. I spent a lot of time hurting myself to get around the citadel faster.
The singular thing I miss from ME1 was the ability to fire your gun wildly while strutting through a densely populated civilian area.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I'm downloading a 40MB patch on Origin right now. Wonder what it's for.

e: there we go

quote:

Patch Notes:

April 9th - PC

April 10th - Xbox and PS3

Fixed
issues when in some cases Shepard's customized facial features from
ME1/ME2 may not be properly imported to ME3

Fixed
an issue when quickly and repeatedly selecting to Resume a Save could
result in Player Level reset and a potential locking of powers.

Fixed
an issue when selecting Multiplayer in the Main Menu while under a poor
network connection could result in an unresponsive state.

Fixed
a potential crash while accessing an in-game terminal from Eden Prime
level.

Fixed
an issue when attempting to login while Server is down. It would display a
Server Down message and accepting the Server Shutdown message would shut
down the game.

Fixed
a potential memory crash while loading a Quick Save of a custom FemShep.

Fixed
an issue when restarting missions and acquiring an above max amount of
weapon mods results in displayed debug text on-screen.

Fixed
an issue when an unresponsive game state could occur during transition
after the Conduit level.

Fixed
an issue when DLC game saves can be accessed from an account without DLC
if another account on the same computer has access to the related
DLC. (PC Only)

Fixed
an issue when saves from different accounts on the same computer may
become locked if one account has access to DLC which the other account
does not. (PC Only)

Fixed
an issue when potentially the game could enter unresponsive state when
transitioning from the Holding Docks area to the Normandy Docks area of
the Citadel. (PS3 Only)

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 9, 2012

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Elysiume posted:

Um, galaxy at war? Enemy understands intimate abilities of opponents' tech. Enemy cripples opponents ability to make war back.

I'm loving the game itself, but there's some pretty lovely design decisions that just boggle my mind...mainly that they don't have straightforward quest tracking and playing ping the planet manually while you got reapers on your rear end is really just...bollocks.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Um, galaxy at war? Enemy understands intimate abilities of opponents' tech. Enemy cripples opponents ability to make war back.
I'm not asking on a lore level. It's a boring mechanic that doesn't have any downside other than wasting your time.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:
If you're on PC, just edit the coalesced.bin to remove the fuel mechanic. Otherwise, visit the citadel to restore fuel to 100% for free.

You're right, it's a stupid gameplay design, and I don't get why they kept it in as it's nothing more than an annoyance. Thanks to the free refuels there's no repercussions to running out of fuel, and it just makes exploration more tedious. They should've just replaced all the found fuel with credits.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Elysiume posted:

I'm not asking on a lore level. It's a boring mechanic that doesn't have any downside other than wasting your time.

I think there's a little less FTL travelling in ME3, so fuel depots aren't needed as much.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Burning Mustache posted:

Skip the side-missions and just blast through the storyline planets. The Mako sections of those aren't nearly as terrible as the ones in the sidequests.
You really should play through the main storyline at least once, the final sections, the entire end-run is really good and has pretty awesome cinematics.

EDIT: Also, out of the main storyline planets, do Therum first, it's arguably the least interesting of them and once you're past the whole Citadel business and Therum, the game starts to pick up again.

So I decided to start ME over again with a soldier class. Honestly it doesn't matter as I can change to Vanguard for 2-3 and rock out. The soldier makes a lot of the combat infinitely easier, and I'm finely tuning my team a bit more. So yeah, I'll play it. If I get annoyed I'll just toss in this trainer I found that makes you godly.

Edit: I got the 40mb ME3 patch too! Hooray!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Modding question: can I give unique powers (Charge, Adrenaline Rush) to other classes? I have been trying to do this with Gibbed's for a goof-around playthrough in which a Vanguard will have A-Rush, just for the hell of it. So far, I tried changing manually the power names in the save, but didn't work. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Elysiume posted:

I don't even know what to say to this, other than you may have undiagnosed OCD.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

TyroneGoldstein posted:

And I don't know what to say to this, other than maybe you lack read-comprehension skills. I don't see how OCD relates to this. It is a useless mechanic that really doesn't have any consequences. If you run out of fuel, you're sent back to the relay to either A) buy more fuel at another system, or B) stop by the Citadel for a free refill. But hey, keep on being an rear end for no reason at all. It's pretty awesome.

I get what the point of it is supposed to be, there being fewer fuel pumps as a direct result of the Reaper attack. It's just it's poorly implemented and, at most, causes about a minute of annoyance before you're back on track.

The same goes for getting caught by a Reaper in the galaxy map. Oh no! I'm getting instantly re-spawned in the same place after suffering zero repercussions.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Aristobulus posted:

Honestly you should just edit the coalesced.ini to make the gameplay trivial and give the Mako super speedy infinite jets, and use god armor so you oneshot everything in the game.

And just play for the story.

I hope developers or modders start making Skip Combat buttons. I know that upsets some gamers, but gently caress 'em. How you enjoy a single player game is your own business.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Caufman posted:

I hope developers or modders start making Skip Combat buttons. I know that upsets some gamers, but gently caress 'em. How you enjoy a single player game is your own business.

Well, rather than "skip combat" there should just be a way to make it narrative like a movie and you just sit back and watch Shepard and his squad blow poo poo up and crack lines to eachother, while you eat popcorn.

I mean, there's some really good dialogue that happens in combat that you'd miss if there was a "skip combat" option, and you would miss out on some good visuals and such too, and not getting to see and explore places.

Think about Lair of the Shadow Broker for example, and all the dialogue and such you could miss out on if you could just skip the entirety of all the fights there.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Ah yes, people with OCD. Famed for disliking needlessly boring, repetitive tasks.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Just finished an ally achievement-oriented ME1 run in about 12 hours. Not too shabby. Going to wait a few weeks and play lots of MP before doing a biotic run, lest I become Magimix The Second.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Radio Paranoia posted:

Just finished an ally achievement-oriented ME1 run in about 12 hours. Not too shabby. Going to wait a few weeks and play lots of MP before doing a biotic run, lest I become Magimix The Second.

There can be only one :stare:

(I have something jury rigged that searches the forums for my name ever few seconds, and presents any hits in an RSS feed, with SMS alerts to my phone)

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Oh god, the poor Elcor.
"How many made it?"
"Not enough."

:smith:

But emergency induction port made me smile.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Radio Paranoia posted:

I can knock out a ME1 run where I complete every single side quest, including the four collection ones, 15.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Seriously though, considering I've 100% the acheivements for ME2, and 3, it's really calling for me to finish the last of the ones I need for ME1. I just don't think I can bring myself to play through it on Insanity, or with Kaiden.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

magimix posted:

There can be only one :stare:

(I have something jury rigged that searches the forums for my name ever few seconds, and presents any hits in an RSS feed, with SMS alerts to my phone)

Are there lots of false positives from Goons with Spoons?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

El Tortuga posted:

Seriously though, considering I've 100% the acheivements for ME2, and 3, it's really calling for me to finish the last of the ones I need for ME1. I just don't think I can bring myself to play through it on Insanity, or with Kaiden.

The only achievements I have left for ME that aren't "Do x skill 75 times" are Kaiden/Ashley Squadmates ones, hardcore, insanity and a couple of weapon ones.

I'm planning on just abusing Immunity on a Soldier Shepard for the non-ability ones and then just rushing an engineer and adept play through on casual to get the skill ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Are there lots of false positives from Goons with Spoons?

Well, you know, :turianass:advanced heuristics:turianass: help filter that sort of stuff out. Interestingly enough, my username wasn't so much taken for food processors, but from a super-hero parody that appeared in a single issue of Viz, a couple of decades ago.

Zikan posted:

The only achievements I have left for ME that aren't "Do x skill 75 times" are Kaiden/Ashley Squadmates ones, hardcore, insanity and a couple of weapon ones.

I'm planning on just abusing Immunity on a Soldier Shepard for the non-ability ones and then just rushing an engineer and adept play through on casual to get the skill ones.

The last achievements I unlocked for ME1 were the Pinnacle Station ones. But the last *base game* achievement I got was the Insanity one (24/04/2008. I'll remember it forever!). Man, ME1 Insanity was a loving chore! Did that one run, and never touched ME1 Insanity again.

magimix fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 9, 2012

• Locked thread