Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I'm definitely a WR fan, its just too bad they were stupid and didn't create a 450 motarded out for cheaper than Euro competitors could sell one for...

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

JP Money posted:

FTFY

Well thats true, but the Japanese brands are built on being reliable first, and thats what they're known for.

I dont see them compromising that in the name of all-out power any time soon, which is what they would need to do to make something competitive with a KTM 690, unless they went over 450cc.

The European brands are more known for making maximum power at the expense of some reliability, and they each have their customer base, and I don't see any Japanese brand going down that road.

The only time they sacrifice reliability for power seems to be in non-street-legal race bikes.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

If they were able to make a reliable, not hours-based WR450X, I'd sell my 250 and perhaps even a kidney to have one.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

It'd take some de-tuning for sure on an already de-tuned bike like the WR. Adding back in all the WR-F or even YZ-F parts probably would take you back down to the hours-based schedule.

I'd really kill for a legitimate sumo like a converted 450R but the reliability of the DRZ is incredibly hard to beat. I don't think I'd have the time or money to give a bike like that the attention it needs to keep it up and running all the time for commuting.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I'm definitely a WR fan, its just too bad they didnt sell more, and that Yamaha pulled them.

There's a 2012 WR250R, when did they pull it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MotoMind posted:

There's a 2012 WR250R, when did they pull it?

They pulled the X as far as I know.

JP Money posted:

I'd really kill for a legitimate sumo like a converted 450R but the reliability of the DRZ is incredibly hard to beat. I don't think I'd have the time or money to give a bike like that the attention it needs to keep it up and running all the time for commuting.

Thats exactly it. Everyone thinks they want a YZ450 or RM450 or whatever as a street sumo, but in order to ride one 50 miles a day to work and back you'd have to spend each weekend working on it, and repeat, every week. You take the long service intervals of a DRZ or WR for granted when you dont have to worry about how many hours you have left on your crank.

That and purebred dirtbikes are designed for constantly varied load and throttle conditions, and the types of usage you see offroad. Putting one on the highway to drone away for hours on end does not make for a happy engine.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 9, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
This is why the 690 continues to amaze, day in, day out.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Speaking of which, I just got this PM on BARF:

A Dude posted:

I've been thinking of selling mine. I haven't ridden since Jan due to surgery, and to be honest, I have other things to focus on. I'll only sell for $8500.

'08 SMC with '10 Plastics.

http://stanc.net/wings/1.jpg

KTM hard parts sliders f/r
Wings Titainium slip on with Akra map
2nd gear mod done
Evo stage 1 air box
enduro skid plate
Aprilia mirrors
GPR steering damper
carbon composites carbon exhaust shields
fork bleeders
KTM hard parts wave rotor
Also have the stock orange plastics in box
-2 rear sprocket

have KTM briefcase, all manuals and keys. Currently registered til November 2012.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That's my friend's bike. I helped him install the plastics :v:

He's asking quite a bit, mainly because he just dropped like 2k on extra parts for it.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
KTM makes a briefcase too?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gnaghi posted:

KTM makes a briefcase too?

It's just a bag that all the documents, toolbag, KTM PEN and bottle opener come in.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
The KTM-branded duffel bag also has some orange boxerbriefs, novelty orange mug in the shape of a K and six keychains with ridiculously oversized logos. And if you liked them on facebook you got extra swag in the shape of an orange helmet mohawk and him-and-hers salt shakers.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Spiffness posted:

It's just a bag that all the documents, toolbag, KTM PEN and bottle opener come in.

I always got a kick out of the bottle opener. My first experience with it was in the toolkit of my 625. My initial thoughts were "these fuckers know you are going to consume at least 3 beers in a normal oil change due to its absurdity. They graciously had the foresight to include a bottle opener in the tools because it's a GIVEN, a NECESSITY, for an oil change on this bike."

Burp the frame? More like burp due to the beers you consumed after opening with the included KTM bottle opener as a break from the most tedious oil change procedure on any bike, ever.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Thumper vibrations pretty much burp my frame every time I ride my bike.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Here's the standout from my KTM 690 searching today:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/2947420891.html

One of the lower prices I've seen yet. the 07 SM's I see regularly around 5500, but under 5 isn't bad at all.

edit: Alright this is local, but which of you goons is this:

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/2930117368.html

And then I look at that, and realize for $1k more the 690 above could be purchased...

Korwen fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 10, 2012

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Korwen posted:

Here's the standout from my KTM 690 searching today:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/2947420891.html

One of the lower prices I've seen yet. the 07 SM's I see regularly around 5500, but under 5 isn't bad at all.

What the gently caress is with that exhaust

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

invision posted:

What the gently caress is with that exhaust

The '07's are butt rear end ugly. That's what. Not sure who thought that setup was a good one...

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

JP Money posted:

The '07's are butt rear end ugly. That's what. Not sure who thought that setup was a good one...

You shut your whore mouth.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

It's a known fact the newer model is much sexier. Both are pretty sweet bikes but I don't think the '07/'08 model has that awesome supermoto look like the newer ones do...

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
SC-Project make a single header/can system which looks and sounds miles better, on top of being much lighter:

http://www.sc-project.com/ktm_690.htm

I always thought the black model looked better, and if you do too the 690 can change colour to the tune of about $200 thanks to dirt bike style ABS plastics.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

JP Money posted:

It's a known fact the newer model is much sexier. Both are pretty sweet bikes but I don't think the '07/'08 model has that awesome supermoto look like the newer ones do...

Ah ok, you like the dirt bike look. That's fine, I'm not going to make comments on your sexuality, different strokes for different folks and all that.

On the subject of SC Project exhausts, I missed one on ebay by 2.50 last night. Some oval office beat me in the last 2 loving seconds to nab a $1000 exhaust for $182.50.

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001

Aargh posted:

On the subject of SC Project exhausts, I missed one on ebay by 2.50 last night. Some oval office beat me in the last 2 loving seconds to nab a $1000 exhaust for $182.50.

And this, my friend, is why you always use auction snipers.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Or just bid the absolute max you're willing to pay and let eBay do the work for you.

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001
Bidding the max right off the bat is a kind of mutually assured destruction - if the other guy did that too, all of a sudden no one's getting that $182.50 exhaust. Plus, you can't get in a bidding war if you don't bid until the very end. Anyway, it's worked for me well in the past.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I wonder if there's some guy out there purposely causing chaos and seeing how much financial loss he can rack up for all the people he is bidding against for items he has absolutely no intention of buying.

I really hope so. That sounds incredible.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

As supermotos go, how is the Ducati Hypermotard 796?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
From what I've heard it's very nice bike, 15 more bhp than a 690 but similar torque and 25kg heavier. As supermotos go, many consider it more of a blurring between a naked and a motard. It's got less suspension travel, a comfier seat, a smoother v-twin engine etc.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Looks cool though

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Safety Dance posted:

Consider it a Monster with long travel suspension. Its a supermoto in name only.

Not a bad bike by any means, but dont think it wont be in way over its head at a supermoto track or jumping off a loading dock.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

So, significantly less chuckable/crash resistant than a DRZ400, but about double the power?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

I test rode one a few years ago when Ducati did a demo days here in Daytona. It's the bike that made me go, gently caress sportbikes I want something like this. However, compared to a DRZ or KTM, it's not quite the same. It's bigger and more comfy than both of them. Whereas the DRZ and KTM are more dirtbike than sportbike, the 796 leans more towards sportbike than dirtbike, which, while not necessarily a bad thing, it's just a little different. If you think the definition of super moto is a DRZ then the 796 doesn't really fit in that definition. Still an awesome bike though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Safety Dance posted:

So, significantly less chuckable/crash resistant than a DRZ400, but about double the power?

Basically, yes. Also much heavier

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Safety Dance posted:

Hypermotards are more long suspension travel naked sport bikes than supermotos.

I test rode one, and wasn't to impressed. The suspension was too soft, and it's not adjustable. It didn't feel like it pulled any harder than the KTM until you got to freeway speed. It's not a bad bike, but I didn't think it was worth 10k.

If you get a Hypermotard, I strongly recommend the 1100.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

How are supermotos at fording? Like if there was a flooded street could I just dive in up to the air filter (and beyond)? What kind of technique is involved?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Gnaghi posted:

How are supermotos at fording? Like if there was a flooded street could I just dive in up to the air filter (and beyond)? What kind of technique is involved?

Not bad, I've run through a creek about 40" deep and the DRZ didn't even sweat it. Fording is tough because if you can't see the bottom you don't know what you're getting into, there could be a hole or a boulder waiting to wreck you and dropping a bike under water isn't good. Remember, always walk before you ride when you can't see the bottom and don't know the creek/street.

Water also moves fast so make sure it's not a rushing torrent or it could be very very bad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

get going really fast and skip over the water

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Gnaghi posted:

It's a dirtbike so they do pretty good. Keep moving and keep the revs up, control your speed with the clutch. If you're sporting a cone/aftermarket filter hanging off the carb you might want to be more careful but on the KDX with stuck airbox I've managed a few water crossings that were above the seat.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Above the seat is pretty awesome. My area might be flooding after a drought so looking forward to some urban stream crossings.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Gnaghi posted:

Above the seat is pretty awesome. My area might be flooding after a drought so looking forward to some urban stream crossings.

There should be some articles and videos on proper technique if you dig around a bit. You're better off avoiding it if possible, especially if there is a current or you don't know how deep it is.

Keeping throttle at 3/4 or so throttle (2 stroke), using the clutch to control speed and try to keep some momentum. Running out of speed or hitting something half way through sucks...as does unflooding an engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008
So my DRZ has been driving me insane since late fall, I simply can't install the throttle tube/cable housing on the bar in such a way that the throttle tube doesn't bind in it. Throttle pulls open easily, but does not snap closed from WOT, though it does snap closed from about 2/3 open or so. The stock housing had been a bit of a nuisance since I bought the bike, bought new in 2008, but it worked up till a couple weeks after I got my FCR installed.

I checked that the cables and carb are not the problem, both move freely, and the throttle return spring is good. Bike has been down a few times, but the right grip area appears straight against a machinist's rule, and the various throttle tubes I've tried all spin freely without the cable housing. Figuring I'd somehow tweaked the stock housing I picked up the single cable setup from Sisnero's Speed Works, which comes with a new throttle cable, housing, and throttle tube, but ended up with the same issue. Tried the whole setup on a brand new, borrowed handlebar and also had the same issue. Frustratingly the throttle tube turns just fine in the housing if you put it together off the bar, even with the cable connected.

I'm completely baffled, and at a bit of a loss where to go next. Not sure how good of an idea it would be to shave the throttle tube where it binds or try and shim the housing somehow, but I'm out of ideas. Almost makes me wish I hadn't traded my Monster in, at least most of that thing's problems could be solved by throwing money at them. It's just so much fun when it works, and up till now it's been the most reliable and unfrustrating bike I've owned.

• Locked thread