Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Spiking posted:

Liz is still too new. I think if she has a 5k combo or something she'll be good. Or good resets. Her mixup is pretty good though so I think she's gonna end up better than Labrys.

She has a bunch of 6k combos off FC apparently (which she can force really easily). I don't think Liz needs to worry too much honestly.

Labrys definitely just doesn't seem to have anything going for her at all right now. I was expecting the character to evolve past day 1 combos and strategies but it still hasn't happened at all yet. She has some stuff that looks like it has potential, but I'm not seeing anyone use anything yet. So it's either not good at all, or nobody good is playing her because she looks boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I'm always surprised by the amount of people that want the P3 main character in this.

Personally for once I'm conflicted because I know fighting game plots don't matter, yet it seems like this one is going to be canon in the Persona universe or whatever. So it would be kind of lovely to bring him/her back considering all the stuff that happens in 3/FES. It's just going to be contrived no matter what.

B-B-But my anime chans :qq:

Anyway is there any Shadow Labrys footage or is she not out yet?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

B-B-But my anime chans :qq:

Anyway is there any Shadow Labrys footage or is she not out yet?

Nah I agree, story wise it'd be terrible to bring P3 Protag back. I'm hoping they just find a clever way to have him as a playable character but not muck with the story.

Shadow Labrys is only around in boss form, it's hard to find videos of her because Arksys has them pulled, apparently. She should be out in playable form in 2 weeks. I'm hoping she's good/fun/interesting because I love her Persona.

Edit: Well I guess this is kind of pointless to put here, but I actually kind of object to the notion that Labrys doesn't have any mixup. Tick throws, frame traps, crossups, and A2G are all perfectly legit kinds of mixups, and she doesn't have any problem with those. I feel like her real weakness right now is that people aren't using her C/D normals correctly. Some of them have really REALLY good properties. It will probably come down to people needing to not use her basic B&B so that they can actually do proper setups.

Her 5D alone is pretty scary looking but NOBODY uses it. She also has a chain-pull-cancel that's I've literally never seen anyone use. Same with her 2C, literally never seen anyone use it before.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 8, 2012

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

If you have a video of a good liz combo you should link me! Its really easy to force FC fear mode but I don't really know what combo to aim for yet.

I only played Labrys like once, but I found myself wishing her C/D moves had more range. So many characters have half to full screen nonsense in this game.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

So far, when it comes to Unlimited characters, Akihiko's in a permenant Thunder Fist state, and his Fist Level's at Lv. 3. Aigis has 999 bullets and her Orgia mode's always on. Yu appears to be able to chain specials into each other, such as Cleave into Cleave again. Yosuke is always under Sukukaja + Can Transform Ripper a lot more than usual, and Chie's always Power Charged to the max. Also, Chie's God Hand in Unlimited can do 7.5k, and 9k if she countered the opponent. Yukiko is at Lv. 8 with her Fire Boosts, she's always under Fire Break, and can throw 3 fans rather than 1 at a time. Kanji's moves have different properties (His drop-kick does a wall-bounce), and Take-Mikazuchi can easily do 5k damage on a grab alone. Mitsuru's rapier normals will freeze or charm the opponent. Unlimited Shadow Labrys however has something funny about her - Normally, Shadow Labrys and her Persona Asterios attack together. As in when S. Labrys does something, Asterios at the same time is also doing something. Shadow Labrys' All Out Attack is actually capable at one-shotting Naoto, because of how Asterios is also attacking during it, AS WELL AS how Shadow Labrys' Attack power is beefed up.

As well, Elizabeth's the Elevator Girl to the Afterlife, Labrys' the Hachiko Steel Head of the Student Council, while her Shadow form's the Furious Cattle President of Mass Destruction.

And Spiking, if I may recommend you, the Mayonaka Midnight team are pretty good when it comes to finding vids (Or really d/ling off of Nico Douga). There's also a LOT of dudes on Twitter who can help you out, but if I find anythin', I'll be sure to link it to you!

EDIT: Shadow Labrys Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwL7p7FlLDM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBS9sYZHIsE

And Score Attack run with this one Naoto user. He did pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv5WyHWRriI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97u4pNzo-m8

And here's the main theme with vocals by Yumi Kawamura, since this post is becoming video hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WXAyL6ix7A

LightningKimba fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 9, 2012

Arro
Mar 31, 2010

LightningKimba posted:

that unlimited shadow labrys fight will teach you very quickly how to read an opponent and how to block very quickly. Also first time I have seen the lose screen and game over screens, those look pretty awesome.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Arro posted:

that unlimited shadow labrys fight will teach you very quickly how to read an opponent and how to block very quickly. Also first time I have seen the lose screen and game over screens, those look pretty awesome.

There's a lot of fun quirks with the game, such as how the cast randomly greets you for the game's splash page (I.E. If Teddie's silhouette's on the screen, he announces the game's name)

Also funny how the game has 13 characters, with Elizabeth being the 13th Arcana, Death. Hell, no one's Arcana goes beyond Death.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

LightningKimba posted:

So far, when it comes to Unlimited characters,

Awesome I didn't realize the characters actually had their in-game spells as buffs, like Chie has Power Charge and stuff (I heard Fire Boost with Yukiko but thought that was it)

LightningKimba posted:

There's a lot of fun quirks with the game, such as how the cast randomly greets you for the game's splash page (I.E. If Teddie's silhouette's on the screen, he announces the game's name)

Also funny how the game has 13 characters, with Elizabeth being the 13th Arcana, Death. Hell, no one's Arcana goes beyond Death.

In P3 and P4 none of the party members/main characters ever go past Death, it was just S.Links that did. The actual "story" Tarots stopped at Death.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 9, 2012

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Awesome I didn't realize the characters actually had their in-game spells as buffs, like Chie has Power Charge and stuff (I heard Fire Boost with Yukiko but thought that was it)

I wrote 'em down in the OP, though I do realize the OP now is REALLY bloated about move stuff. Yukiko has both Fire Boost and Break, Break making her fire spells unblockable, Boost, well, making them more powerful.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I'm a total scrub at fighting games and having a bit of trouble telling why Naoto isn't going to be totally broken.

It seems like getting people into Mudo territory is far to easy and has no cons at all, video posted above it looked like it was just a few hits then bam there goes all the enemies health.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I'm a total scrub at fighting games and having a bit of trouble telling why Naoto isn't going to be totally broken.

It seems like getting people into Mudo territory is far to easy and has no cons at all, video posted above it looked like it was just a few hits then bam there goes all the enemies health.

Her health tier is near the lowest (She's 8k, Elizabeth's under her at 7.5k), the videos I've posted were from Score Attack, which is a CPU boss rush, so it isn't the BEST example for skill, and that's her thing for the most part - She wants to win by IKs, or set up so the next round she can make the opponent be bitten by Mudoon/Hamaon.

The cool thing with her is that Mudoon and Hamaon, when they "miss" (As in they hit but don't kill), they can allow her to mix-up the opponent, or set them up on wakeup from the attack. She's pretty good and is moving up in Japanese tiers, BUT with how high-damage characters can make her eat it fast if she isn't on top of rolling away from attacks, she isn't going to break beyond being A Tier.

For reference, Japanese players find Chie and Mitsuru as S currently, A being Yu, Kanji, then Naoto, then the rest of the cast's a bit assorted to me, though I do hear currently Akihiko and Labrys are on the bottom. Spiking of course would be a lot more on top of Japanese tiers, being our Japanese goon bro.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Naoto IS really good, but her Fate KO thing is actually not all that great.

You can only knock off at most 3 Fate per combo (unless you start spending SP), and they get back half of their missing Fate at the end of the round. The problem with spending SP for Rank 2 Rifle to get off extra Fate is that you might as well just save it for Mudo combos or her Critical Shoot.

And her traps are actually pretty bad at being traps, so you aren't going to get that many lucky random hits with those against someone paying attention. And thus the "problem" becomes that Naoto is more likely to kill you from damage than she is to kill you from a Fate KO.

Also she has bad health.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

LightningKimba posted:

EDIT: Shadow Labrys Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwL7p7FlLDM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBS9sYZHIsE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv5WyHWRriI

And here's the main theme with vocals by Yumi Kawamura, since this post is becoming video hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WXAyL6ix7A

Why does she even have a Persona? Is she like Teddie?

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Dogbutt posted:

Why does she even have a Persona? Is she like Teddie?

It's actually said on the site that Shadow Labrys is a completely seperate consciousness from Labrys in general. It could either mean that she's a Shadow like with how the other P4 cast's Shadows were, OR she is similar to that with how she awakened to having an ego of her own, being able to gain a Persona to fight for her.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
I'm hoping between now and console release they put out some kind of balance patch because I was really excited for Labrys and from what I've read here and on Dustloop she seems like she could use some boosting up. A friend of mine just came back from being in Japan and a lot of what he was saying about the game got me even more excited for it but really made me want certain things patched... Summer can't come fast enough.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

LightningKimba posted:

Isn't Teddie the Star, or did they change it in this game.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Dinky Duck Race posted:

He's a shadow. All the human plot characters don't have an arcana higher then 13 because of DEEP SYMBOLISM.

Since we're already at 13 characters I doubt it'll happen, but I think it'd be really cool if we got koromaru so this can actually be jojos. Also please give protag an option to have his collar be popped or not like how you pick glasses tia

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

glod posted:

I'm hoping between now and console release they put out some kind of balance patch because I was really excited for Labrys and from what I've read here and on Dustloop she seems like she could use some boosting up. A friend of mine just came back from being in Japan and a lot of what he was saying about the game got me even more excited for it but really made me want certain things patched... Summer can't come fast enough.

I wouldn't count out Labrys yet anyway. Consider that people thought Teddie was bottom tier for the longest time, now he's pretty solid mid, if not pushing higher than that. It really doesn't look like people are making very good use of all of Labrys's stuff yet, and that's likely because it's non-obvious and not brain-dead good like j.B.

Edit: Oh hey, here's a really good tournament at Kohatsu that's definitely worth a watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEyfOBsngf8

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 10, 2012

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Dinky Duck Race posted:

:sweatdrop: He isn't human though, but yeah, super embarassing how he completely slipped my mind. I blame running on no sleep when I typed that up.

Right now, I don't really see any characters who need a patch - It's only been a month, and everyone seems pretty solid, it's just that Chie and Mitsuru are team low work/high reward for the most part, then we have Akihiko and Labrys who can be good, just that their awesome tech hasn't been uncovered yet. It's a bit harsher on Labrys who came out later than the cast, so she needs more time compared to the Electric boxer.

That said, I'm HIGHLY interested on seeing Shadow Labrys in play, and seeing what Japanese players do with her. Yeah, she's a robot girl and the Persona fandom in general (I think? Maybe it's just a general thing) doesn't like 'em, but her tools make her a pretty interesting play on the Shadow archetype.

Also, Teddie combo vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meovGnVMdvs

LightningKimba fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 10, 2012

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LightningKimba posted:

That said, I'm HIGHLY interested on seeing Shadow Labrys in play, and seeing what Japanese players do with her. Yeah, she's a robot girl and the Persona fandom in general (I think? Maybe it's just a general thing) doesn't like 'em, but her tools make her a pretty interesting play on the Shadow archetype.

The Japanese Persona fandom can't get enough of robot girls. That's why there's loving three of them, now. Aigis was by far the most popular character in the original release, which is half the reason FES was even made. It borders on creepy sometimes.

The non-Japanese fandom on the other hand...bit of a mixed bag; but more not than are.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
In my opinion they're completely unnecessary and bad characters narratively. They really add nothing that couldn't be achieved say by another actual human being or alternatively by one of the existing characters. I don't wanna say they were added for purely sexual reasons but giving what I've heard about the "romance" you can have with Aigis in P3P yeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. But considering Ken is "romanceable" on the female path in P3P and I've heard that gets pretty creepy too apparently maybe the developers can't help but cater to the creepier parts of the fanbase.

The robots do make compelling designs for fighting games though!

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I'm just pissed we could have had Junpei or Dojima instead of another random robot schoolgirl.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I agree, hopefully they're not done adding characters. I just want Dojima in this game and for him to use his jacket as a weapon. Just give him Kohryu or something for his Persona, he's Hierophant canonically and Kohryu is badass.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Well lets be fair this is a game where all the characters are pretty strong, relatively. every character has like 4 escape options even if some are kind of weaker and I was saying Labrys doesn't have mixup but she's got normal anime game mixups, she just doesn't have some of the crazy good options that like Kanji and Yukiko have. I mean Labrys has HUGE damage that is pretty easy to combo into. I don't usually mind playing a lower character if they still have strong points. I do think her axe meter thing is a pretty boring mechanic though compared to all the cool things other cast members have for their gimmick. Gets Stronger is just not as cool as unblockables, paralyze, flies. Heck it's not even as cool as Gets Really Fast power. I also think Chie is really boring though since her 'power' is kind of the same. Well Chie's real power is just her magical fatal counter kick.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I feel like the axe mechanic needs another layer or something. It does have an effect on hit stun and guard stun apparently... but that's not really super exciting either. If they put a really obvious visual or property change on moves based on the level, kind of like how RoboKy has different levels of specials, that would be really cool.

Might help on top of that if they let you manipulate the level of the axe via SP or something, like you could drain it back down to grey to get some SP back, or spend SP to fill it up in levels. Or maybe even via HP.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Spiking, if I can have your opinion on somethin' (I wish there was a better way to communicate rather than me posin' in the thread), I heard a rumor of a Persona 4 Arena update in May. Is that a legit thing goin' on in Japan, or has that been bunked recently?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Fubarduck tweeted it just today and said more details are to follow on the website, so I'm assuming it's legit. May is only 2-3 months after the game released... hopefully its just a sensible bit of tweaking and maybe another new character.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

I haven't heard anything about it but usually when I chat to guys at my arcade im mostly like 'GGs' or 'I hate chie' so I probably wouldn't hear!! If you wanna holler at me though my email is spiking at gmail. I dont mind chatting about bearsona 4 cause i play it a lot these days. But. Guilty gear is still better game! Too bad. I realized this the other day when i opened a GG round with jump forward p p p p p p p p potemkin p which was blocked all the way to the ground then i command grabbed him booya.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Fubarduck tweeted it just today and said more details are to follow on the website, so I'm assuming it's legit.

Ohhh, I see I see. For the most part, the only tweaking I can see happenin' is just Chie and Mitsuru's damage overall being lessened lightly, and HOPEFULLY Akihiko can cancel stuff into Thunder Fist. ... Since y'know, he can't do that for some reason. It's weird.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

LightningKimba posted:

Ohhh, I see I see. For the most part, the only tweaking I can see happenin' is just Chie and Mitsuru's damage overall being lessened lightly, and HOPEFULLY Akihiko can cancel stuff into Thunder Fist. ... Since y'know, he can't do that for some reason. It's weird.

Thunder Fist is his powerup super? Yeah that definitely needs fixing in at least some capacity. It's really strange how bad it is compared to every other powerup. I'd rather they not just turn him into Chie-lite with it, maybe they could find something else interesting to do with it, like make him always have Level 3 when it's activated? That would make him scary as hell and also more unique.

Chie needs her R-Action recovery time nerfed pretty hard, and probably her 2B FC removed entirely. I dunno if she'd really need a damage nerf on top of that since those things are a really huge source of her stupidity.

Mitsuru ... you could probably tweak in a number of ways. The problem is that she has the combo of being insanely fast, having amazing range, having very strong frame advantage and traps, having an instant overhead, having fantastic reversals, AND having very solid damage on top of that. So you could probably make her pretty reasonable by just picking two of those things and toning them down a little.

But being that this is ArcSys, who knows what they'll actually do in this patch. They seem to love doing radical changes as opposed to subtle tweaks.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Lotsa stuff

Thunder Fist normally makes Akihiko's normals paralyze when he hits them, which is why it'd be good if he can cancel into it because A) He can make whiffed Kill Rushes safe, and B) He can be a lot more of a threat to the opponent. Because of threat of him having a good Thunder Fist alone could scare some peeps, he wouldn't even need his damage touched, he can pressure them with them getting paralyzed and then said opponent gettin' set up into a Lv. 3 Cyclone Upper.

With Chie, all I knew about Counter is that you can easily mash it into gettin' to Awakening. I was never sure how the follow up for it works, unlike Yosuke's which knocks the opponent down if he's hit. Really, Chie's the one who needs her damage nerfed down slightly, since she's already good at setting and opening the opponent up, even if she's Persona Broken!

With Mitsuru, I assumed her deal is that her range wouldn't be touched, or if so, it wouldn't be nerfed TOO hard, since she's a charge character, who awards good play. I thought her rapier would mean she's great at poking inherently, and that, honestly?, her combos shouldn't do massive damage, just that her gameplan's punishment and even more punishment. (Also her rapier thrust should have some recovery if she whiffs when it isn't fully charged or somethin', it shouldn't be all that safe.)

Also with Mits? Moonlight. That thing's horrible to deal with, but I have no idea what one would say to do with it, since it's really good and it's an R Action, so it's supposed to help you out as a reversal option, but... Its hitbox is insane. Maybe tone its range and call it a day? No idea.

I think everyone else's pretty good, but Labrys is wishing for a good way to get in. When she's in, she STAYS in with how much damage she does, but unlike Akihiko, she actually has few options from what I've saw. Maybe Ariadne should have a bit more to her than her beams, and Labrys' axe gauge have more options than "do damage to opponent, level up to do MORE damage!" ?

LightningKimba fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 12, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

LightningKimba posted:

Thunder Fist normally makes Akihiko's normals paralyze when he hits them, which is why it'd be good if he can cancel into it because A) He can make whiffed Kill Rushes safe, and B) He can be a lot more of a threat to the opponent. Because of threat of him having a good Thunder Fist alone could scare some peeps, he wouldn't even need his damage touched, he can pressure them with them getting paralyzed and then said opponent gettin' set up into a Lv. 3 Cyclone Upper.

I see what you mean, but I'm not really sure he has the tools to make Paralyze all that scary really. On top of that, he kind of desperately needs meter for damage from most situations, and blowing 50SP for Paralyze seems kinda iffy to me.

(Especially when you consider that Yu and Elizabeth can Paralyze you in combos for only 25SP)

quote:

With Chie, all I knew about Counter is that you can easily mash it into gettin' to Awakening. I was never sure how the follow up for it works, unlike Yosuke's which knocks the opponent down if he's hit. Really, Chie's the one who needs her damage nerfed down slightly, since she's already good at setting and opening the opponent up, even if she's Persona Broken!

Chie's R-Action just counters physical hits into those upkicks. You can combo off them with a OMB or the Meteors at mid screen, but you get a free combo off it in the corner.

That's not the problem though, the problem is that it's SO FAST that it's literally impossible to punish on reaction. You can actually use it as a ghetto cancel even, but she doesn't even need it for that.

quote:

Also with Mits? Moonlight. That thing's horrible to deal with, but I have no idea what one would say to do with it, since it's really good and it's an R Action, so it's supposed to help you out as a reversal option, but... Its hitbox is insane. Maybe tone its range and call it a day? No idea.

What really makes it so good is the huge hitbox, along with the fact that it's insanely fast, and you can cancel it into Bufudyne. Since Bufudyne is a really good reversal too, it basically means that most(?) characters have to guess even if they manage to block the R-Action. Otherwise they eat a good 3500 damage! (Some characters seem to have OSs or other tools that can just flat out beat this regardless of if Bufudyne is used or not but I don't know any details)

I think Kanji's might actually be even better though, that one has a ton more active time and likewise has a gigantic hitbox, and is pretty hard to punish. Plus it leaves you paralyzed. :I

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I see what you mean, but I'm not really sure he has the tools to make Paralyze all that scary really. On top of that, he kind of desperately needs meter for damage from most situations, and blowing 50SP for Paralyze seems kinda iffy to me.

Yeah, that's the thing about Akihiko - Cyclone Upper's his go-to for most of his damage. Maziodyne's pretty much there to One More Cancel into a mix-up, since it literally does little to no damage when it does connect. ... Which does make sense 'cause of its massive range. Maybe Thunder Fist can also be a damage buff too?

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Chie's R-Action just counters physical hits into those upkicks. You can combo off them with a OMB or the Meteors at mid screen, but you get a free combo off it in the corner.

That's not the problem though, the problem is that it's SO FAST that it's literally impossible to punish on reaction. You can actually use it as a ghetto cancel even, but she doesn't even need it for that.

OHH, I see. It's a bit weird for it to be safe compared to how Yosuke's Dodge does make him do a taunt if he doesn't get hit, and Yu's Cleave is a DP. ... Which means if he whiffs, he can easily get punished for it.

I do like how this game, outside of how Chie and Mitsuru's tools and damage are pretty high, has a well-rounded cast that doesn't need too much retooling to them. Yosuke's HP isn't too much of a factor when he's a speedy guy with very good tools to get in and do mixups. Yukiko, she MAY want a bit more oomph to her from Fire Boosting/Amping, but otherwise her tools've been used quite well with players, she just needed time to be discovered and used. Then there's Naoto and her traps, and them going away when she's hit on block doesn't matter too much when her tools allow her to be one of the best keepaway characters in the game.

That said, Aigis' the only one I can't say for certain what she'd get. I know little about her, other than that one player is pretty notable at using her, and her bullets REALLY are limited. I would say having more bullets to play with would be fun to use, but otherwise she's definitely one of the harder characters to use.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Honestly, I really don't want them to hammer Mitsuru too badly. Justification? I don't have any, I just want her to stay fun whatever they decide to do. Has anyone said anything about how Naoto has developed? Because that character looks good/scary in the right hands. Anyone playing the game mind you.

Regardless of all the dumb crap I've seen in the game, it looks fun and different, and I can't wait for it to come out.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Corrosion posted:

Honestly, I really don't want them to hammer Mitsuru too badly. Justification? I don't have any, I just want her to stay fun whatever they decide to do. Has anyone said anything about how Naoto has developed? Because that character looks good/scary in the right hands. Anyone playing the game mind you.

Regardless of all the dumb crap I've seen in the game, it looks fun and different, and I can't wait for it to come out.

Naoto was actually considered one of the worst on Japanese BBSes apparently, and gained respect enough to be in the A Tier with Yu and Kanji. Any character in this game can be good, the tier lists circulating in Japan seem to be based on how much effort one would PROBABLY need to do to get good with 'em.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

LightningKimba posted:

Naoto was actually considered one of the worst on Japanese BBSes apparently, and gained respect enough to be in the A Tier with Yu and Kanji. Any character in this game can be good, the tier lists circulating in Japan seem to be based on how much effort one would PROBABLY need to do to get good with 'em.

I mean, I look at it this way... Japan is playing the game. There might be balance or technical issues that we all can observe, but they are enjoying the game right now. Anyone who's playing it, this topic doesn't even matter in terms of "who's the best." I remember people saying Teddie sucks and then I see the character win like 3 tournaments via video... but I wasn't there, I don't know what players were at the arcades where these wins transpired... the main thing is that whatever changes are inevitably going to occur, I really hope it maintains how AWESOME this game looks right now. I went from seeing Naoto look "just okay", to throwing someone in a corner and then ruining their life. Chie, Mitsuru, Aigis... in the right player's hands, Naoto is good too.

I don't even like characters like Chie, but whatever they choose to do, please keep everyone as fun as the game looks right now.

As far as extra characters, I wanted to put this out ever since I started lurking this thread:

Who gives a gently caress about storyline? They could put in Persona 3 Male and Female main character and just say "They are guest characters with no story." Bam, you just got two, in theory, awesome additions to the cast. I remember someone telling me how pointless continuity/canon is in this sense and they're absolutely right. You know what? Who cares if Dojima doesn't have a Persona? Give him one. "It's not fitting to the story?"

Who. loving. Cares? Sometimes we can just gloss over that, fighting games allow for that! There's a whole list of Atlus characters they could put in from R&D1 RPGs. I think Ginko or Maya from Persona 2 or... gently caress, they have a whole list of awesome guest characters they could put in the game, I hope they choose wisely if they do. I don't want story justification, I just want to be playing as someone cool if they do.

I hope the cast doesn't grow much more, though. I think they're right around that sweet spot of character diversity and cast size.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I would love to see Dojima in the playable cast, whether he'd be a new dude in May (The site didn't update today, maybe later in the week or some time soon about the new arcade update), but otherwise, the 13 dudes we have now are definitely pretty diverse in how they work, so the only thing I would really want to see is just a dude for each Arcana to fight. ... Even though we don't have good reps for Temperance and such, unless we dig deep into the Persona, or maybe even MegaTen in general for a larger roster! (Or give Bebe a Persona.)

Also, here's some Elizabeth Hamaon combos, because someone needs to be working on how to use those well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmgq10R5Nyc

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Does Hamaon go away on block or just on hit? Those setups are pretty cool, but they'd be so much better if she could find a way to make the reset mixup a little more safe/solid.

Anyway, for S-Alpha, some solid Labrys play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZaZEgEhyeM#t=9m22s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Clt8m45D4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Clt8m45D4Y#t=11m55s

The Kuma player in these sets is also really awesome and worth a watch.

I'm also kind of surprised how little Aigis talk there is in general. She's got the second strongest average damage output in the game, and her mixup is literally unreactable. Plus she plays a really good run away game to recharge her Orgia meter, and just otherwise has a lot of really fantastic moves. I'm kind of struggling to see why player's aren't calling her higher tier, is it just an effort thing maybe?

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 13, 2012

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

LightningKimba posted:

Just a point I mean all the chars are fun but the tiers in this game are definitely no joke. Like mitsuru is the best and chie is the second best, you'll feel it for sure if you play them or vs them. So, personally, looking forward to slight balance patch, if arcsys can resist reversing every characters hitboxes and adding a new move to every character.

Edit G blood Aegis has kindof not scary normals compared to the best characters. I feel like she can only easily rush down the characters with worse normals than her.

Spiking fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Does Hamaon go away on block or just on hit? Those setups are pretty cool, but they'd be so much better if she could find a way to make the reset mixup a little more safe/solid.

If she's in blockstun, like with Naoto's traps, Hamaon/Mudoon go away, which is why you HAVE to be tricky to use Elizabeth's IKs.

With Aigis, I just barely see her at all on streams, and there's only 2 people who're notable for using her, Kaqn (I believe his name's spelled that way), and one other person who's handle I don't recall off the top of my head. All I know is how her resources seem really small making her difficult to pick up and play.

Also the cast gains extra supers, I wanna see peeps like Yosuke gain Sonic Punch to have another utility super under their belt to use.

• Locked thread