Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

I just want to make sure that what I'm about to do is possible before dropping a bunch of money into it. I have a desktop PC with a lovely old Dell 20" LCD and a 27" iMac. If I buy a graphics card with DisplayPort (like this one), I should be able to plug in, hit Command+F2 and use my 27" as a monitor for the desktop PC, right?

2010 iMac, yes.
2011 iMac, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003
gently caress. What happened to target display mode?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Binary Badger posted:

There's allegedly some unwritten rule that if you have to undergo three major repairs in a row, that you should just get a new unit, but that's up to the manager's disgression, and if you do anything to hint that you know about this rule he / she may not pull the trigger on it. If it were me I'd just stress that it's the third time this has been repaired and you have lost invaluable amounts of time due to it.

Right, thank you. The main annoyance is having to lug this thing around. I'm not trying to get a new one, I'm trying to get somebody to spend 1 minute on it to check whether the replacement is working.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

Thunderbolt happened.

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003
Well yeah, but taking away a feature isn't cool. Is there absolutely no way this will ever happen again, even with third party stuff?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

1997 posted:

Why didn't you review the paper / iPad you signed? Your OS is logged in that paperwork and it's customer facing so I'm not sure why you didn't have them correct it if it was wrong.

I don't remember seeing anything incorrect on the iPad. I'll probably break down and lug it up to the other Apple store eventually after this all wears off.

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

Yeah, this is the worst thing and it's gonna keep me from upgrading for a while.

I've asked here, and I've asked Apple and there's just no way to do it :[

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

Well yeah, but taking away a feature isn't cool. Is there absolutely no way this will ever happen again, even with third party stuff?

There will probably be adaptors once Thunderbolt controllers are common and/or cheap enough that the small custom manufacturers are able to start designing and selling products with them.

Or so Kanex said ~1 year ago...

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

If you have a Thunderbolt portable (or graphics card of some sort, I would assume) and a Thunderbolt iMac, target display mode still works. But the iMac no longer supports regular DisplayPort in, only Thunderbolt.

Jammer Jones
Jul 11, 2002

Member of the Yomiko Readman Fanboy Army!
I was thinking about grabbing a SEAGATE 750GB MOMENTUS XT (138$) to replace the stock 500gb 5400rpm drive in my Early 2011 13" MBP. Anyone using this see much difference in speed or battery use? also how does this work if using bootcamp to switch between OSX and Windows 7?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Jammer Jones posted:

I was thinking about grabbing a SEAGATE 750GB MOMENTUS XT (138$)

Don't

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
^^^Any reasons why?

Jammer Jones posted:

I was thinking about grabbing a SEAGATE 750GB MOMENTUS XT (138$) to replace the stock 500gb 5400rpm drive in my Early 2011 13" MBP. Anyone using this see much difference in speed or battery use? also how does this work if using bootcamp to switch between OSX and Windows 7?

I'm using that HHD in pretty much the exact same machine. The speed increase is great. (I'm basing this on memory, but I could rerun the tests.) I get around 100MB/s read/write. Boot times and application launch times are much, much quicker.

As for battery life, I've never really been the type of person to pay attention, but it's been about the same, maybe a shade shorter. Like I said, when the machine tells me to charge, I charge. Any effect on battery life is well mitigated by the performance/space improvements.

I was looking to get a faster drive and more space and didn't have nearly enough cash to buy a really nice SSD and this drive fit the bill perfectly. I get much, much better performance and a nice amount of space to boot (loving VMs).

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 9, 2012

kdevil II
Aug 18, 2000
Forum Veteran

Jammer Jones posted:

SSDs are definitely better if can afford one big enough. However my wife uses too much storage to make an SSD workable yet so we replaced the 5400 drive in her 15" pro with a momentus and it is much faster. I'd say go for it if you can't make an SSD work. That price is also much better than we paid just 3 weeks ago.

I can't comment on battery life or bootcamp.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
To expand, a "hybrid disk" is a poor mix of performance/space/price. Get either a real SSD, or a normal spinny disk.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

~Coxy posted:

To expand, a "hybrid disk" is a poor mix of performance/space/price. Get either a real SSD, or a normal spinny disk.

Most forum posts from hybrid purchasers go like this:

OMG this is faster! (most of the gains are from the fact that it's a 750gb 7200rpm disk and not a 250gb/320gb 5400rpm disk)

Then a couple months down the road:

Piece of crap drive keeps freezing up!

Then a couple more months down the road:

I bought a 128GB SSD it's so much faster! I'll just keep all my movies on a USB drive.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Bob Morales posted:

Most forum posts from hybrid purchasers go like this:

OMG this is faster! (most of the gains are from the fact that it's a 750gb 7200rpm disk and not a 250gb/320gb 5400rpm disk)

Then a couple months down the road:

Piece of crap drive keeps freezing up!

Then a couple more months down the road:

I bought a 128GB SSD it's so much faster! I'll just keep all my movies on a USB drive.

This may be the case, but I haven't experienced any of these issues. Performance has been pretty much the same over the past few months of ownership. Also, I used to own a WD Scorpio Black 7200RPM/320GB drive and the Momentus is faster (I think I saw read/writes in the 60s-70s). I think a lot of it has to do with what your expectations are. If you are expecting 100% SSD speeds, of course you are going to be disappointed. A 128GB SSD would be great if it fit everyone's needs, but I can't/don't want to always carry a slow rear end USB 2.0 drive around.

kdevil II
Aug 18, 2000
Forum Veteran

~Coxy posted:

I disagree in this case. All of the reviews that I have read said this generation of momentus are a great fit for the edge case where you need a lot of data in a laptop. I have SSDs in all of my personal machines so I am well aware of their advantages. The momentus wouldn't make any sense in a desktop or a laptop that had room for two drives or didn't need much space.

kdevil II fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 9, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I think it's also a case of 'FIRST GEN OHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOES' anecdotal evidence. Fairly sure that if Seagate got crap about the beginning production runs, they'd fix the issues in subsequent production runs. Hey, I heard 3 TB drives don't work right on Macs, this still true amirite? Sheesh.

Continued "OHH NOOOOOOOOES' are either from people getting stuck with stock from early production runs by shithead dealers, or people parroting 'I heard that Momentus suxors' in unresearched me too posts.

This is anecdotal evidence too, but I've shoved that Momentus XT in a boatload of MacBooks / Pros recently and over the past year didn't get any complaints.

Edit: Lots more gathered anecdotal evidence: Amazon and NewEgg reviews started out lovely on those 2.5 Momentus XTs but now they're all mostly 4 stars / eggs with hundreds of reviews processed already. Yes, all manufacturers live in a vacuum and never fix or mod their products once they're out the door. The eventual truth is that anyone who follows that shiat usually gets obviated out of existence by those who do.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 9, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Edit: Lots more gathered anecdotal evidence: Amazon and NewEgg reviews started out lovely on those 2.5 Momentus XTs but now they're all mostly 4 stars / eggs with hundreds of reviews processed already. Yes, all manufacturers live in a vacuum and never fix or mod their products once they're out the door. The eventual truth is that anyone who follows that shiat usually gets obviated out of existence by those who do.

To be fair, if you rush out a product (especially such a novel concept) and do it poorly- it will have a reputation for being a poor product. By looking at the reviews, it seems that they're pretty great compared to their initial debut though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Even if it worked perfectly I wouldn't pay the extra $ for one over a traditional drive. The performance simply isn't there. I wanted hybrid drives to work so bad, I was two seconds away from buying the old 500GB drive.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Out of curiosity, what performance would need to be shown for you to make the dive?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Oh god, the 500GB XT from the last gen froze my late 2007 MacBook up for 2 seconds at a time every 10 seconds after a few minutes of bootup. Fortunately, I was able to find some firmware to disable the SSD part which also complete destroys any value in having a hybrid drive. I wouldn't recommend these hybrid drives to anyone. To keep the SSD part going , I had reformatted with zeros, tried the latest firmware, and some other voodoo but it turns out the best thing to do was to just turn the SSD off with the older "shut down the SSD to stem complaints" firmware. No more horrendous 2 second lags.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 9, 2012

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So I've got a six year old 15 inch Macbook Pro. Its second battery just died, but I'm too cheap to replace it with another first party Apple Battery. I'm wondering how bad a $25 POS battery really is, if anyone has any experience. Anything is currently better than having to be plugged in at any given time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

So I've got a six year old 15 inch Macbook Pro. Its second battery just died, but I'm too cheap to replace it with another first party Apple Battery. I'm wondering how bad a $25 POS battery really is, if anyone has any experience. Anything is currently better than having to be plugged in at any given time.

I've used Chinese batteries from eBay in my Thinkpads, they don't last as long (or for as many charges) as OEM but they're fine. I'm sure people have had them exploded and kill their pets though.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I've been meaning to consolidate my 2011 MBA and my desktop into one machine. I found a 2010 MBP 15" with the high-res anti glare screen for $1200. Is this a good price for this machine?

Specs for the 15" MBP:
8GB of Ram
i7 Arrandale @ 2.66ghz
500gb 5200rpm HD
High-Res Anti Glare Screen

I'm wanting to add in an SSD into it through the optibay. Can you boot an OS off a SSD that lives in the optibay?

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003

x-virge posted:

If you have a Thunderbolt portable (or graphics card of some sort, I would assume) and a Thunderbolt iMac, target display mode still works. But the iMac no longer supports regular DisplayPort in, only Thunderbolt.

So I think I know the answer to this (no) but what about graphics card manufacturers offering Thunderbolt on the card itself? I've looked and it seems like it's possible but not likely.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Rabid Snake posted:

Can you boot an OS off a SSD that lives in the optibay?

Yep, I have one in my 13" MBP in an optibay. Just hold down option on boot and stick the USB in.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Rabid Snake posted:

I'm wanting to add in an SSD into it through the optibay. Can you boot an OS off a SSD that lives in the optibay?
I generally recommend that people put their fastest and/or primary OS drive into the hard drive bay and then the secondary drive into the OptiBay. Officially it's because the ODD port is usually SATA 3Gbit/s, while on newer machines the hard drive port is SATA 6Gbit/s (so if you have a drive that supports it, it would have to go in the hard drive bay). I've also gotten reports from a couple of customers about wake-from-sleep issues when booted from a drive in the OptiBay. I can't reproduce the problem on mine, but enough people have mentioned it that it might be worth considering.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Sonic Dude posted:

I generally recommend that people put their fastest and/or primary OS drive into the hard drive bay and then the secondary drive into the OptiBay. Officially it's because the ODD port is usually SATA 3Gbit/s, while on newer machines the hard drive port is SATA 6Gbit/s (so if you have a drive that supports it, it would have to go in the hard drive bay). I've also gotten reports from a couple of customers about wake-from-sleep issues when booted from a drive in the OptiBay. I can't reproduce the problem on mine, but enough people have mentioned it that it might be worth considering.

I'm only worried about losing the protection the hard drive bay provides for the traditional platter hard drive. Is it safe to have a hard drive in the optibay?

how!!
Nov 19, 2011

by angerbot
I bought a wireless keyboard (the solar one made by logitech) last week, and after three days the ESC key broke off. I threw away the box and all the papers that came with it. Theres an apple store a few blocks from my house. Can I just walk in there with my broke keyboard and they'll replace it for me? I bought the keyboard online. This is my first apple purchase, so I'm not really sure how their support works...

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Rabid Snake posted:

I'm only worried about losing the protection the hard drive bay provides for the traditional platter hard drive. Is it safe to have a hard drive in the optibay?
There's not really much protection offered in either bay from shock; the little rubber bits do a small amount to buffer vibration but I'm not sure that it's anything significant. I've had a 7.5mm 500GB platter drive in my OptiBay for a while and it's been doing fine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

how!! posted:

I bought a wireless keyboard (the solar one made by logitech) last week, and after three days the ESC key broke off. I threw away the box and all the papers that came with it. Theres an apple store a few blocks from my house. Can I just walk in there with my broke keyboard and they'll replace it for me? I bought the keyboard online. This is my first apple purchase, so I'm not really sure how their support works...

Logitech has some of the best support in the business, just call them. It's not an Apple product.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
Is there any reason to think the 15" MBPs will be out this month and not rolled out in the Summer alongside the 13" laptops that just entered production? My 2007 MBP finally bit the dust today and I need to replace it ASAP. If I can just buy the one they have available now and return it before the 14 days are up that'd be fine, I just don't want to get screwed and stuck with last-gen if at all possible.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nobody knows.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I'm wondering the same thing. I've been scouring rumour sites making myself crazy! I annihilated my laptop a couple of weeks ago and I have insurance money burning a hole in my pocket. I hate not having a laptop, but I hate buying stuff that's immediately updated even more :(

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Digital Jesus posted:

I'm wondering the same thing. I've been scouring rumour sites making myself crazy! I annihilated my laptop a couple of weeks ago and I have insurance money burning a hole in my pocket. I hate not having a laptop, but I hate buying stuff that's immediately updated even more :(

The screen on my laptop has been finicky for a while but today it finally cracked and died. The keyboard went a few weeks ago when for the first time in 5 years, I spilled beer on it. Before that, the graphics card failed as part of a defect in my particular model so in '09 it got a new logic board. In '08 the left fan broke and I dug it out and replaced it while swapping in a bigger HD. Despite keeping it alive for so long, at some point it's going to break and at this point it's a desktop.

My solution is to borrow an old 15" lcd monitor a friend had laying around, and use it with usb keyboard and mouse until the MBP line is refreshed, then buy one immediately. If it's happening soon, I really need a computer to use and I might buy a current-gen MBP, then return it in 13 days.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Okay you got it worse than me. I have a perfectly serviceable desktop computer, it's just my laptop that's dead. I'm going away for work next week though so I might do the same thing. I'm eyeing off a 15" refurb, the one with the HD6770.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
I'm going to be buying a 15" Macbook Pro in the next week and install Windows in bootcamp for development (visual studio mostly). I want to put a SSD in it and I'd rather not pay the apple price for one. Is any 2.5" SSD gonna work?

I had decided on a 240GB Intel 520 (from a local store) before I started looking at RAM upgrades and finding some laptops to be picky about memory.

Does anyone know if the Intel would be alright or I should be picking a mac-tested one from a specialty place (http://www.macfixit.com.au probably)?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Destroyenator posted:

I'm going to be buying a 15" Macbook Pro in the next week and install Windows in bootcamp for development (visual studio mostly). I want to put a SSD in it and I'd rather not pay the apple price for one. Is any 2.5" SSD gonna work?

Pretty much. There have been people having issues with the drive cables and drives not showing up or performing funny, not sure if that was vendor specific or if it has cleared up.

http://blog.macsales.com/11895-2011-macbook-pro-sata-problems-resolved

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004
photographs of the best time you had
window smudged by the speed

I'm going to be taking my girlfriend's 2008 T shaped power adapter to the Apple store later to get it replaced under the class action lawsuit later today. Is there any chance that my 2010 L adapter will get replaced under the same program? It has the same separation/fraying problem that the T adapters have, but I don't have applecare anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Destroyenator posted:

I had decided on a 240GB Intel 520 (from a local store) before I started looking at RAM upgrades and finding some laptops to be picky about memory.

Does anyone know if the Intel would be alright or I should be picking a mac-tested one from a specialty place (http://www.macfixit.com.au probably)?

I have a Crucial M4 256gig in my late 2011 MBP and it's been perfect. I enabled TRIM too.