Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Mans posted:

This is why i like portuguese footie papers so much.

That owns, the super-heróis one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Football journalism in Portugal is basically a race for who can come up with the silliest covers possible.

This one is from 2009, during the first season of Jorge Jesus at Benfica, after terminating Setubal for 8-1.

Cardozo is the James Bond of the football world, with order to score goals and everything!

In Portugal we equip our CB's with dangerous medieval gear to play football. I'm not sure it's FIFA regulation though...

A Bola got the Super Hero theme a year before Record! I like this one a lot better I must say. If I remember well, this was the match that Benfica got bummed by 5-0, and Coentrão was woeful. The Flash indeed.

You can't make this poo poo up.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

I guess congratulations Porto on a new title. Can't believe we went from 8 points ahead, to whatever poo poo we turned into now. Not sure who exactly to blame. Probably not even going to land the second place now. Just gently caress off Benfica, gently caress off.

Edit: Also Jesus still hasn't learned how to say penalty properly. Penalte. :suicide:

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 9, 2012

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Let me join you with the :suicide:

gently caress

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Electronico6 posted:

Football journalism in Portugal is basically a race for who can come up with the silliest covers possible.

This one is from 2009, during the first season of Jorge Jesus at Benfica, after terminating Setubal for 8-1.

Cardozo is the James Bond of the football world, with order to score goals and everything!

In Portugal we equip our CB's with dangerous medieval gear to play football. I'm not sure it's FIFA regulation though...

A Bola got the Super Hero theme a year before Record! I like this one a lot better I must say. If I remember well, this was the match that Benfica got bummed by 5-0, and Coentrão was woeful. The Flash indeed.

These are all brilliant

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't even care about that "penalte" on gaitan, we had 89 minutes of game left after it. Wolfswinkel's dive is okay with me. Luisao grabbed his neck and he made a meal out of it. In a spur of the moment i understand why he signaled it so i have no problem with it.

Good match, i like the way Sa Pinto organizes his team. He grinds wins and holds on to the lead for dear life. Domingos' Sporting might've been prettier but this kind of consistency would put An Italian team of the 70's to shame.

Porto wins the league after this defeat, no doubt about it. At least the League will stay competitive until the end which is a good thing. Both Sportings will finish the season stronger than they started, which is a great thing in domestic and European terms. I don't want Jesus to be sacked. He needs an orange or two to the face, but he's the only thing keeping Benfica stable. I also hope Vitor Pereira gets switched with an actual manager so that next year Portugal can represent themselves in force in Europe.

gg porto wp

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Benfica are proper poo poo, aren't they? We could have won by 3 or 4 if Wolfswinkel wasn't crap and that Izmailov ball didn't hit the bar, still feels good man. Hopefully it motivates the players for the Bilbao matches. Bit of a boring match though, if I didn't know better I'd think Benfica wanted a draw, their attack seems to be all gassed out. Good to see Yannick is still poo poo, Sporting's best player this evening, he must have gifted us the ball like 6 times, can't believe Jesus was actually hoping Yannick was going to turn things around in the 2nd half. Also, where was Capdevilla?

antpocas
Jun 30, 2004

IF THIS POST ISN'T ABOUT GLORIOUS SALAZAR YOU MUST BE READING IT WRONG
Ahahaha holy poo poo we're gonna win the league again even though we're poo poo. I really hope Vítor Pereira doesn't stay though, he's terrible.

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

antpocas posted:

Ahahaha holy poo poo we're gonna win the league again even though we're poo poo. I really hope Vítor Pereira doesn't stay though, he's terrible.

Exactly this, I can't even believe that we're close to winning the league with this coach :psyduck:

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Electronico6 posted:

These are all just great.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Portuguese Police showing it's competence.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=210774555697698

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
That's Porto - Braga right? Unfortunately there have been many recent cases of police brutality in Portugal, it's ugly but I won't jump on the "gently caress da police" bandwagon some people are jumping on since every time I've interacted with police officers I was treated with probably more courtesy and respect than I deserved.

e: If there was any doubt the Portuguese refs are a bunch of corrupt fucks, Jose Cardinal is being investigated for being given 2000 euros prior to a Sporting - Marítimo match in December (which he was removed from, probably when this was discovered).

e: Media now saying the police is investigating the possibility of Sporting's vice-president trying to trap Jose Cardinal by transferring the money to his account and then tipping off the police. What the hell is going on?

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 12, 2012

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

In an hour starts the League Cup final between Benfica and Gil Vicente. This is the fourth time in a row that Benfica has reached the final, and if it wins, fourth victory in a row. Gil Vicente knocked out Braga to get to the final, so they are no push overs, and through out the season gave a lot of trouble to the supposed Big clubs in Portugal. Also if Gil Vicente wins, it would be their first official trophy.

Should be fun.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 14, 2012

FlyingPJ
Oct 8, 2009
Hell of an acrobatic volley to equalize for Gil Vicente.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Saviola still knows how to score them :getin:

FlyingPJ
Oct 8, 2009
Yesssss Saviola!

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

:toot: Four times in a row :toot: It's a recycled plastic Cup, but I'll take it, as it's the only thing we are likely to win this year. Again.

Also Witselt has been in Portugal for a year, and already speaks better Portuguese than Jorge Jesus.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Benfica - Maritimo is 3-1 right now and it's being a fantastic game.

Even more fantastic now that Rodrigo scored!

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Too bad Porto won again.

3 weeks are left in the league.

1. Porto 66 points
2. Benfica 62 points

Games left to play:

Porto
Saturday 4/28 at Marítimo
Sunday 5/6 vs. Sporting
Sunday 5/13 at Rio Ave

Benfica
Sunday 4/29 at Rio Ave
Sunday 5/6 vs. União de Leiria
Sunday 5/13 at Vitória Setúbal

Porto clinches the league title if:
Porto wins 2 games out of the last 3 games.
Porto wins 1 game, ties 2 games and maintains goal difference advantage over Benfica (currently at +7 over Benfica) Porto has head-to-head advantage tiebreaker over Benfica: 1 win and 1 tie

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 22, 2012

antpocas
Jun 30, 2004

Yechezkel posted:

Porto clinches the league title if:
Porto wins 2 games out of the last 3 games.
Porto wins 1 game, ties 2 games, and maintains goal difference advantage over Benfica (currently at +7 over Benfica)
Goal difference doesn't matter, the tiebreaker if 2 teams have the same amount of points is head-to-head results. My god if we really do win this it will be just shameful, with the football we're playing

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Can't believe Sporting still has a shot at finishing third in this roller coaster of a season, but with Braga losing against Olhanense yesterday there's still the chance of getting to the CL. Some hard matches to come though, we still have to play Porto and Braga, hopefully the team's morale didn't take a hit with the Europa League exit.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Leiria starting with 8 players on the pitch against Feirense :pwn:

FlyingPJ
Oct 8, 2009

euroboy posted:

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
umm could someone provide a little context? Amazingly they're only down by 2 in the 57th.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

euroboy posted:

There is a massive clusterfuck going on at União de Leiria. They lied about their wage bill situation, can't pay all their players and have four months worth of wages to pay, now at least 16 players have resigned with the club. They only have 6 professional players left in the club, plus 2 junior players or something.

The president of the league of clubs today has been calling and pressuring the players that have left the club, to come back and play the remaining games(One against Benfica), because the league of clubs has conjured up some wage fund to pay these players. It's a disgrace.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 29, 2012

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Please tell me they either have two keepers left or zero, I love the idea of a club having to either start an outfield player in goal or a keeper in the outfield because there's literally no one else to put in the position.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Please tell me they either have two keepers left or zero, I love the idea of a club having to either start an outfield player in goal or a keeper in the outfield because there's literally no one else to put in the position.

They still have one keeper, Oblak, who is on loan from Benfica.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Electronico6 posted:

drat

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

Electronico6 posted:

Which leads into one of the more minor of the myriad stupid parts of this affair: Of the Leiria 8 that played today, four are on loan from Benfica. Leiria's next game, assuming they don't go bust beforehand, is against the same Benfica. Surely that game can't go ahead at this point?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Electronico6 posted:

There is a massive clusterfuck going on at União de Leiria. They lied about their wage bill situation, can't pay all their players and have four months worth of wages to pay, now at least 16 players have resigned with the club. They only have 6 professional players left in the club, plus 2 junior players or something.

The president of the league of clubs today has been calling and pressuring the players that have left the club, to come back and play the remaining games(One against Benfica), because the league of clubs has conjured up some wage fund to pay these players. It's a disgrace.

This is absolutely insane. I imagine they wont exist at the end of teh season and are only here right now to make up the numbers?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

gingemidget posted:

Which leads into one of the more minor of the myriad stupid parts of this affair: Of the Leiria 8 that played today, four are on loan from Benfica. Leiria's next game, assuming they don't go bust beforehand, is against the same Benfica. Surely that game can't go ahead at this point?

If those players have 'can't play against Benfica' clauses then yeah, I imagine they'll have to forfeit the game unless some of the other players decide to come back.

antpocas
Jun 30, 2004

Rio Ave 2 - 2 Benfica FT.

:toot:

I just hope Vítor Pereira leaves now.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

:smith:

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009
I can't believe we really did it with this guy as a coach :laugh:

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Drogadon posted:

:smith:

:qq:

I guess congratulations Porto, you won without even knowing how.

In Leiria news, one of the players that was suppose to show up this afternoon, is reported to have bolted off before the game with 6 thousand euros that were destined to pay off some of the match expenses, in his gear and all.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Electronico6 posted:

In Leiria news, one of the players that was suppose to show up this afternoon, is reported to have bolted off before the game with 6 thousand euros that were destined to pay off some of the match expenses, in his gear and all.

Fuckin lol, so there were supposed to be 9 players?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

GravityDaemon posted:

Fuckin lol, so there were supposed to be 9 players?

Yup! União de Leiria has already filled a criminal charge against him. Though it's a very bizarre situation, the player was all geared up and ready to go, when he took the 6 thousand euros, and apparently he wasn't working alone has he had a partner waiting for him outside of the stadium. I still can't get around my head, that there was 6 thousand euros just lying around, within reach of a bunch of disgruntled players.

The 16 players that left the club are also now being treated as fugitives(!) and criminals by União de Leiria, because it wasn't done through the proper channels and they resigning was not official, so the club is taking them all into the courts because they missed the game. Amazing stuff.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's really nut unusual for a club to end the season without money to pay it's players. Belenenses managed to stay in the first league for a few years simply because another club went bankrupt and took the relegation spot from them. This ,however, is quite the exception. It's going to be funny to see how Benfica will react to this, we'll probably bottle the game anyways.

And yeah, gently caress this gay league, gently caress JJ for chosing Emerson over Capdevilla and for deciding to take out offensive players when we need goals. JJ acts like a complete retard at times and it cost us the league. The worse part is that he KNOWS that they board can't really do poo poo to him. If he's fired he'll go to Porto while Benfica will fall back to hiring 2 managers per year.

How the christ did we lose the league 8 points ahead to a team led by Vitor Pereira :qq:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Electronico6 posted:

Yup! União de Leiria has already filled a criminal charge against him. Though it's a very bizarre situation, the player was all geared up and ready to go, when he took the 6 thousand euros, and apparently he wasn't working alone has he had a partner waiting for him outside of the stadium. I still can't get around my head, that there was 6 thousand euros just lying around, within reach of a bunch of disgruntled players.

The 16 players that left the club are also now being treated as fugitives(!) and criminals by União de Leiria, because it wasn't done through the proper channels and they resigning was not official, so the club is taking them all into the courts because they missed the game. Amazing stuff.

Surely the club will have no say in court because they didn't hold up their end of the contracts, paying the players! I mean the "9th guy", yeah, that's theft, but the 16 other players should be able to get out if they're not getting paid.

A similar thing happened to Bologna a few seasons ago, Bari as well, and a bunch of players played a long time without paychecks. I thought it was insane and Im surprised they didn't just up and leave.

This is all a really interesting story. I hope that these guys don't get caught up in court cases and they can't play for some reason. Does the Portuguese second division have any money? At the worst you'd think they'd be able to find clubs there. This is all just mind boggling. There's plenty of idiotic poo poo with regards to money and payments going on in Italy but this takes it to a whole other level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

GravityDaemon posted:

Surely the club will have no say in court because they didn't hold up their end of the contracts, paying the players! I mean the "9th guy", yeah, that's theft, but the 16 other players should be able to get out if they're not getting paid.

A similar thing happened to Bologna a few seasons ago, Bari as well, and a bunch of players played a long time without paychecks. I thought it was insane and Im surprised they didn't just up and leave.

This is all a really interesting story. I hope that these guys don't get caught up in court cases and they can't play for some reason. Does the Portuguese second division have any money? At the worst you'd think they'd be able to find clubs there. This is all just mind boggling. There's plenty of idiotic poo poo with regards to money and payments going on in Italy but this takes it to a whole other level.

Rayo's team played most of last season without getting paid and even won promotion. This year they've basically halted all operations and are going to stay up despite a steady stream of departing players and a pitch that's turned into a sand lot.

• Locked thread