Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Pimpmust posted:

I'll crop and translate the rest later if there's any interest. There's some Draken in here, together with one of the most hilarious piloting suits I've seen.

Yes, please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Page 5 and 6 coming up!

Close in on text:

The Lance is now the Swedish Airforce's main aircraft and exist not only as an attack version but also as a recon aircraft and soon also as an all-weather interceptor aircraft (night-fighter). The top speed surpases 1100 km/h and the aircraft carries a remarkable large payload in the form of rockets, "attack" missiles [I'm thinking air-to-ground or air-to-sea] or bombs.
Pictured above: The Lance lands on the F 3-field in Malmslätt. The landing speed is 200 km/h, max altitude is ca 15 000 meters.
Left picture: The magazines are refilled with light ammunition.

[Sweden used to have a LOT of air bases back in the day, this particular one, the F 3 field, or Kungl Östgöta flygflottilj "Royal East Gothia Aircraft Flotilla" is located 6 km from Linköping was transfered to F 13 Norrköping in 1974 and the airfield is now in civilian hands. There's also a aircraft museum close by that I think I've been to... awhile ago. F 13 was/is located right outside my home town but was retired in 1994 during the general downsizing of the armed forces in the 90ies and now serve as a depot for surplus equipment. One year awhile back there was a massive amount of military convoys through the city and hundreds of used trucks and other things ended up on that field, before being presumably sold off to civilians or scrapped. So both airfields are still around and explains why there's two ca 100 000 population cities in Östergötland with 2 largish airfields EACH:

Linköping, SAAB's personal testing airfield to the east and former F 3 to the west.

Norrköping, F 13 to the west and the civilian airport to the east].

Right page: During the year 1955 SAAB unveiled a new surprising sensation, the deltawinged supersonic interceptor J 35 Draken, which top speed has been stated to be more than 1 600 km/h [Actually Mach 2+, 2,126 km/h (1,317 mph) at 11,000 m (36,100 ft) according to wiki, but that was probably a military secret during the time this was written], in other words it easily breaks the soundbarrier in level flight. The type is still being tested and preparations for serial production have for some time been underway.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 8, 2012

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Pimpmust posted:

60 million [SEK, probably not inflation adjusted] was invested in buildings and equipment during the five year period of 1950-55.

I guess that'd be around 1 billion SEK only adjusted for inflation but that's still not that big of a number. Of course as a share of GDP it'd be much higher than 1b SEK in today's economy but it's just another indicator of how much cheaper aircraft development used to be.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Invalido posted:

Swedish Leopards

Well, there goes another illusion: I always figured the gun barrel would last the Battle of Stalingrad without much trouble. So when tanks are operating, they have to have crates of barrels back at base as replacements? When a barrel is worn, can it be refurbished?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The last batch coming up.

Page 7:

Page 8:

Text:
Left side [Page 7]: It's said of the education at Swedens first flightschool, Aviatik-skolan, started in 1912 by Carl Cederström on Malmslätt, offered many unique points. As such one day did one of the school training machines fly away on it's own and carried out the most advanced of tricks. "Well, there you see, gentlemen", said the on-duty instructor to his students. "It is not absolutely necessary that a student joins the ascent, but it always looks nice" The memory of this first flight school is kept dutifully on Malmslätt in a small museum, that looks rather pathetic to the side of this old training spot many modern institutions - Östgöta Flygflottilj (F 3), Centrala flygverkstaden (CVM) as well as Försökscentralen (Fc). One wonders if it required more than ordinary recklessness by the men that were the first in the air. In the picture one can see a (hanging) swedish army aviation first aircraft, a Nieuport-machine.

Pictured top side [page 8]: Camoflage based J 29 Tunnan, prepared for emergency [take-off].

Right picture: The Darkness Death [Google translate points out it should be THE NIGHT-DRIVING TOLL :iiam:] within the military is fought - and promoted - by all means. A swedish Soldier should be able to fight as well by day as night. Here the ground personnel at F 3 trains at putting together a submachinegun with blindfolded eyes.

Page 9:

Text:
[First up is some danish from 1853 that I can't really translate straight off well:]
Yes, for thousands of years they come in through the air over the ocean. America's young Inhabited banquet of old Europe. They come to the memorials here and to the sinking cities, as we in our time go to South Asia's crumbling glories.

"Om Aartusinder” is written by H.C. Andersen and it’s about his predictions about travelling in the future. He starts saying that young Americans want to go to Europe to experience the memorials. For them Europe is a place where their forefathers have lived.

This page: On the Malmslätt lays Fc, the testing department within the air force, where test pilot is a very important person. Fc shall variant test aircraft, manufactured within the country, test ny aircraft materiel in the air, make delivery controll flights, and - not the least important - through own attempts improve the flight's effectiveness. The work has great importance for air safety.

Pictured above left: Testing of materiel in altitude laboratorium [Pressure vessel?]. The event is studied through an explosion proof sight-screen.

Right [above]: All equipment is modern, tape recorders are used for reports [:drat:].

Below [left]: This is how the altitude laboratorium looks with subpressure-chamber, of which one detail is pictured in the top left picture.

Page 10:

":getin:"

Right page: Swedish testpilot for SAAB, dressed in an American G-suit, with it's help the so called g-forces life-threatening effect on for example human blood pressure is evened out. The G-suit is inflated automatically, and the air in the suit prevents the blood from gathering in the legs. From that, the heart is aided in pumping blood to the brain, and blackouts are prevented in steep dives.

---

Fun fact time again: The J35 Drakens Sweden sold to Denmark?

They were called the F-35 :smug:

Oh, and they could do this.

Of course, then there's this:

What's not to like about a interceptor with a climb of 206 m/s, top speed of 2231 km/h, a 30mm Oerlikon cannon and 6 hardpoints for skyflashes, AMRAAM, sidewinders or rocket pods? It even uses a nice Pratt & Whitney JT8D engine, with a Volvo afterburner strapped on to the back for a thrust of 72,2kN (16,200 lbf) dry, 125kN (28,100 lbf) wet! Look at that take-off, and listen to that sound.

(It lost out to the F-16 and was a pretty big export failure... none were exported as far as I know)

SAAB, solving all your expensive boondoggles before you've even made them :v:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 8, 2012

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Psion posted:

what's the iphone game called? :v:

The one I play is called "zombie gunship".

Pretty fun, but there's quite a bit of grinding to get enough $$$ to upgrade your gear.

You quickly figure out the 40mm is your bread and butter weapon.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

NosmoKing posted:

Pretty fun, but there's quite a bit of grinding to get enough $$$ to upgrade your gear.

You also learn to despise survivors for their insistence on turning directly into the path of zombies and being slow as poo poo.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

NosmoKing posted:

Downloading now! :f5:

Awesome Swede posts, Pimpmust!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Pimpmust posted:

Page 10:

":getin:"

Right page: Swedish testpilot for SAAB, dressed in an American G-suit, with it's help the so called g-forces life-threatening effect on for example human blood pressure is evened out. The G-suit is inflated automatically, and the air in the suit prevents the blood from gathering in the legs. From that, the heart is aided in pumping blood to the brain, and blackouts are prevented in steep dives.

Actually, this is a high altitude partial pressure suit. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it works by squeezing your body to prevent you from expanding in the near-vacuum of high altitude flight.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

You also learn to despise survivors for their insistence on turning directly into the path of zombies and being slow as poo poo.

They must be in California not a single survivor is armed or fights back

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

NosmoKing posted:

They must be in California not a single survivor is armed or fights back

Welp, you killed 3 survivors. loving forget it, let's just let the zombies kill everything because you are bad at danger close missions!

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

Invalido posted:

Cool Leopard 2 facts, even cooler video

Thanks - I really appreciate hearing about the little detail stuff of being a tank crewman - things like how the gun actually aims that you can't get from a set of technical specs.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Welp, you killed 3 survivors. loving forget it, let's just let the zombies kill everything because you are bad at danger close missions!

This started happening a lot more after I got damage upgrades for all the weapons :(

Good game to play whilst pooping though.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

Thanks - I really appreciate hearing about the little detail stuff of being a tank crewman - things like how the gun actually aims that you can't get from a set of technical specs.

I'd recommend the ol' Steel Beasts for PC for a more insidery look.

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

The eyes can mislead, a smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth.

Invalido posted:

Nice Leopard 2(S) stuff

That reminds me, the Swedish Army produced a really nice HD video showcasing the Leopard 2(S) some two years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyq6s8hrl4A

If you're wondering what all that "world's greatest tank" is about, apparently one of the Discovery Channel's stupid list shows called the Leo 2 the world's greatest tank and filmed it in Sweden since Försvarsmakten is really media friendly. Us Swedes, suffering from perpetual inferiority complex which evidently is shared by the military as well, loved the attention and apparently wanted to stretch the "honor" out a bit.

EDIT: The entire SwedishArmedForces youtube channel is pretty neat in itself if you're interested in the Swedish military. Mostly in Swedish, of course, but usually well produced and not over-the-top propaganda.

Stroh M.D. fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Apr 9, 2012

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Still waiting for S-tank Mk.II :colbert:

Preferably mounting a railgun :allears:

I do recall reading an old report on a rather large test the Swedish military did between a company (or even more) of S-tanks vs Centurions (Stridsvagn 102 version I think, so both packed 105mm guns). Lot's of arguments around that report about the Tank Destroyer and conventional MBT design, but I think the S-tanks did excellent on the defense and were quite competent on the offensive as well using the specially developed tactics. Can't remember the details though, but I imagine it's not all that different from going on the offensive with a bunch of StuGs.

For something completely different:
This site is quite interesting for listing all the F-16 crashes and causes. Some of them are pretty :psyduck:

I believe there's one pretty similar to the MiG-23 Belgian crash where the pilots eject but the aircraft keeps on going. Except in the case of the F-16 they managed to trigger the afterburner and it tearing straight through 2 parked C-130 and the full class of paratroopers seated between the transports :drat:

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Pimpmust posted:

Still waiting for S-tank Mk.II :colbert:

Preferably mounting a railgun :allears:

Unf.

Koesj - $125!?? And I thought Matrix Games overpriced their stuff, yeesh. I may have to hunt down a copy of T-72: Balkans on Fire, though.

In other Cold War tank-related news, I've been enjoying watching Greatest Tank Battles from the Military Channel. It's available on Netflix Instant.

Yes, it's really dumbed down and the CGI is low budget, but it covers some battles that get less attention in the US (e.g. Golan Heights, the Hochwald Gap) and features some great interviews with veterans. The Bradley commander they interview from 73 Easting who bluffed a T-72 after he ran out of missiles was particularly :black101:.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

Unf.

Koesj - $125!?? And I thought Matrix Games overpriced their stuff, yeesh. I may have to hunt down a copy of T-72: Balkans on Fire, though.

Is this related in any way, shape, or form to that Iron Warriors: T72 Tank Command game? A goon (Nipponophile I think) bought me that when it went on sale for $1 once and it's terrible.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is this related in any way, shape, or form to that Iron Warriors: T72 Tank Command game? A goon (Nipponophile I think) bought me that when it went on sale for $1 once and it's terrible.

I've never heard of it before, so . . . dubious? I've never played Balkans on Fire, but it came highly recommended.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

I've never heard of it before, so . . . dubious? I've never played Balkans on Fire, but it came highly recommended.

If it comes recommended then rock out with your 125 mm 2A46M out, and give a trip report here (or in the video games thread, whatever).

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I have it, it's okay. Apparently it has a coop multiplayer mode where each player is either the driver, commander or gunner. That might make for an interesting LP at least. :v:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

The original game had a demo although even while it came out during this millennium it looks like something straight out of 1997 tbh.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

NosmoKing posted:

In the early 80's when everyone was worried that Reagan was going to bring about global thermonuclear war, I asked my dad what the hell was going on and why everyone was so scared and nervous about the president's plans. I was 10 or 12 or so. Dad said, "they're scared because if the right people make the wrong decisions, in roughly one hour, everyone everywhere will be dead or dying soon".

Man... your dad sure wasnt one for sugar coating things was he?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cyrano4747 posted:

rock out with your 125 mm 2A46M out

Cyrano, we need to talk.

NosmoKing posted:

This is true in every video game that features the AC-130, near as I can tell. Definitely true in every COD and the newest Ace Combat.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I am pretty sure I got an Air to Air kill in an AC130 in Jane's Air Force or whatever that game was. It might have been against a helicopter though.

Also that Zombie AC130 game was fun for a bit but gets boring pretty fast imo. Lacks the punch of the sequences in the Call of Duty games (best part of any CoD game by far).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

priznat posted:

I am pretty sure I got an Air to Air kill in an AC130 in Jane's Air Force or whatever that game was. It might have been against a helicopter though.

Killing a helo with an AC-130 you say?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

They totally stole my move <:mad:>

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Also, those tanks seem really, really fragile.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Ugh I need to get back to the Wargame:EE thread to get all of this arcadey stuff out of my brain.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Tindahbawx posted:

Man... your dad sure wasnt one for sugar coating things was he?

Nope, he wasn't.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Pimpmust posted:

For something completely different:
This site is quite interesting for listing all the F-16 crashes and causes. Some of them are pretty :psyduck:

I believe there's one pretty similar to the MiG-23 Belgian crash where the pilots eject but the aircraft keeps on going. Except in the case of the F-16 they managed to trigger the afterburner and it tearing straight through 2 parked C-130 and the full class of paratroopers seated between the transports :drat:
haha:

that link posted:

05 Sep 1989 FA-105

Destroyed at Ørland AFB, Norway, after being 'borrowed' by a ground crew member. The aircraft was stolen by a member of the ground crew and the aircraft crashed on a farm in the neighbourhood of the village Brekstad, close to Ørland AFB. The 28 year-old military took, in absence of his colleagues and pilots, control over the aircraft, started the engine and took off, to the surprise of the Norwegian crews. Five miles from the base he crashed after being airborne for 2 minutes and 5 seconds.]

In a move more becoming a sitcom, a Danish F-16 overshot the runway at Bagram, Afghanistan and ended up in a minefield.

On a more :aaa: note, there was a Norwegian F-16 crash involving a power line slicing off the canopy, tail... (you know it's coming, don't mouse over if you don't want to know) ... and half the pilot.

Edit: Danish, not Swiss

grover fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 9, 2012

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

grover posted:

haha:

In a move more becoming a sitcom, a Swiss F-16 overshot the runway at Bagram, Afghanistan and ended up in a minefield.

On a more :aaa: note, there was a Norwegian F-16 crash involving a power line slicing off the canopy, tail... (you know it's coming, don't mouse over if you don't want to know) ... and half the pilot.

Wtf was a swiss F-16 even doing at Bagram?

Edit: yup colonel I checked, The Swiss Airforce doesn't even operate the F-16

Flikken fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 9, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Flikken posted:

Wtf was a swiss F-16 even doing at Bagram?

Edit: yup colonel I checked, The Swiss Airforce doesn't even operate the F-16
Sorry, was Danish, not Swiss.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Cyrano4747 posted:

According to wikipedia they're the same game:

quote:

Iron Warriors: T-72 Tank Command, also known as T-72: Balkans on Fire!, is a tank-driving simulation by Russian game developers IDDK/Crazy House and published by Battlefront.com.
Speaking of which

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

It's on Steam for $5.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

It's all been downhill for Battlefront since CM:BB was released.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Pimpmust posted:

I was just a kid living on Bragg at the time but that was a pretty hosed up accident. The F-16 clipped a C-130 while they were both on landing approach, which turned the jet into a flaming missile that spiraled down the flight line. Virtually every medical personnel in the area was called in to respond, including the base dental clinics and civilian EMTs. It's honestly amazing that more of the training class weren't killed after being hit with an F-16, half a C-141 and who knows how much burning jet fuel.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
More info on that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Ramp_disaster

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Insert name here posted:

According to wikipedia they're the same game:

If that's the case STAY THE gently caress AWAY.

Highlights tht I remember:

1) loving alpine learning curve, zero documentation

2) my 45 ton MBT slamming into a small metal X-frame obstacle (think those things you see on pictures of the D-Day beaches) at about 45kph and BOUNCING BACKWARDS MORE THAN TWICE ITS OWN LENGTH AND AT LEAST 30 FEET INTO THE AIR, DOING A FLIP, AND LANDING ON THE TURRET.

3) None of the above destroyed my apparently rubber T-72. I could fire the gun, spin the wheels, etc. I was, however, one profoundly stuck motherfucker.

4) Levitating building chunks when I decided to shell a random balkan village to poo poo.

The whole thing just screamed low quality garbage and I didn't go much beyond dicking around for a couple hours.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

There have been surprisingly few decent modern tank simulators.

M1 Tank Platoon was fun in its day but it's massively dated now. Also all the enemy tanks were red for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

priznat posted:

There have been surprisingly few decent modern tank simulators.

M1 Tank Platoon was fun in its day but it's massively dated now. Also all the enemy tanks were red for some reason.

Was that the SNES tank game? (or maybe it was NES, I can't remember)