Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Yeah the range of temperatures put out by all ARM tablets is trivially small. All of them handle that relatively well.

I had a first-generation macbook pro. I don't think anyone can compare to the amount of heat that sucker put out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DeathSandwich posted:

So now that we are past the new iPad's launch, have thee been any announced price drops for existing android tabs? Are we to the point where there is a solid android tab competitor or are we still in "just get an iPad" territory for tech hobbyists like myself?
Just get an iPad. I had the first gen Transformer and it was literally the worst consumer electronics product I've ever had the unfortunate displeasure of using. Nothing worked right, and one of the draws of the device-- netflix, would artifact and glitch every 30 seconds-1 minute of playback.

Random reboots, laggy software (can't even view PDFs for fucks sake), and few tablet optimized apps mean you're better off spending the $359 on a refurb iPad 2 than an android "tablet" device.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Peven Stan posted:

Just get an iPad. I had the first gen Transformer and it was literally the worst consumer electronics product I've ever had the unfortunate displeasure of using. Nothing worked right, and one of the draws of the device-- netflix, would artifact and glitch every 30 seconds-1 minute of playback.

Random reboots, laggy software (can't even view PDFs for fucks sake), and few tablet optimized apps mean you're better off spending the $359 on a refurb iPad 2 than an android "tablet" device.

Sounds like you should've RMA'd your device.

I find Netflix much more pleasing on a widescreen device, the 4:3 aspect ratio of the iPad is pretty annoying.

I don't have issues reading PDFs on my Xoom using Aldiko, what software were you using?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Although I haven't had any real stability or hardware problems on the Acer A500 I'm typing this on I pretty much agree

Unless you are really keen on Android, want a feature not available on iOS/iPad and don't mind putting up with some stuttering then you should just buy whatever iPad fits your price range best.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Peven Stan posted:

I have a Xoom, just about the most boring Android "tablet" you can have, and it's never caused me any problems and works great. I get the argument for the iPad, it makes a lot of sense, but your experience is abnormal and less representative as of ICS.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Peven Stan posted:

Nothing worked right, and one of the draws of the device-- netflix, would artifact and glitch every 30 seconds-1 minute of playback.

Random reboots, laggy software (can't even view PDFs for fucks sake)

Hmm I wonder why that would hap-

Peven Stan posted:

I have root access and some kind of riced out custom ROM (Revolver 3.11) on my tablet, plus a hilarious 50% overlock (to 1.5 ghz).

Oh, that's why. Unstable overclocked random riced out custom ROM has glitches and lags and random reboots? Shocked I say.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Install Gentoo posted:

Hmm I wonder why that would hap-

Oh, that's why. Unstable overclocked random riced out custom ROM has glitches and lags and random reboots? Shocked I say.

Thanks for the derail. You should know that the ricer roms were a last ditch effort to fix the issues before I sold it. Of course, the android community wants it both ways: People who bitch should install any variety of the roms to fix their problems, and then blame the problems on the roms when they turn out to be terrible.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Peven Stan posted:

Of course, the android community wants it both ways: People who bitch should install any variety of the roms to fix their problems, and then blame the problems on the roms when they turn out to be terrible.

No one is saying that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Peven Stan posted:

Thanks for the derail. You should know that the ricer roms were a last ditch effort to fix the issues before I sold it. Of course, the android community wants it both ways: People who bitch should install any variety of the roms to fix their problems, and then blame the problems on the roms when they turn out to be terrible.

I didn't like the transformer and got rid of it due to performance reasons, but not the reasons you listed, it does do the basics fine.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Peven Stan posted:

Your experience doesn't seem to be representative of Transformer owners as a whole. There is a reason why the TF-101 was and is very well regarded.

cbubbles
Mar 15, 2007

I'm soooo into you

Kynetx posted:

Your experience doesn't seem to be representative of Transformer owners as a whole. There is a reason why the TF-101 was and is very well regarded.

I doubt Pevan Stan cares. His concerns/thoughts have been addressed before in this thread. He's not wrong about everything persay, but no matter what he sticks by his conclusion that the first transformer sucks. Not worth talking about it again.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I am thinking about getting a tablet that I can use as a remote control, would really like one with built in IR. So far I only know of two tablets with built in IR, the Sony Tablet S ($399, 9.4" playstation games) and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus ($299, 7", Peel remote). I would also really like to control my PS3 without shelling out for the PS3 blu-ray remote, I have no idea if peel or the sony can do that. I am pretty much certain I should not get the Sony tablet because it is more expensive and I really don't care about the screen size difference.

My first question, will I hate life if I buy a wi-fi only Android tablet? I have a Droid phone to satisfy my needs for internet on the go, but I want a bigger screen for when I am at home. I think I am just paranoid because I had a Pandigital Novel a couple years ago and it was a horrendous piece of poo poo. After users hacked the Novel, Pandigital released an update to full android but it was hack job with a lot of the cell phone stuff left in but badly broken. But I assume if I buy a wi-fi only tablet now I won't experience those problems? What does worry me is so many tablets now have hardware for receiving a cellular data connection, but I don't want that (all the time) since I already pay Verizon for data on my phone. Will modern tablets bug me about a cellular connection if the hardware is present but not used?

If I buy a wi-fi only tablet but say I want cellular internet for a week while on vacation, can I buy a pre-paid data card if such a thing even exists?

I am a little hesitant to buy the Galaxy Tab 7 Plus because of the upcoming release of the Galaxy Tab 2. WTF is Samsung thinking? Based on this comparison the main differences are:

Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
+ 1.2GHz CPU
- Android 3.2
+ 3mp auto focus rear camera w/LED flash, 2mp front camera
+ IR blaster
- No HTML5, has flash

Galaxy Tab 2
- 1.0GHz CPU
+ Android 4.0
- 3mp fixed focus no flash rear camera, .3mp vga front camera
- no IR blaster
+ HTML5 and flash

In my opinion, with the exception of ICS and the web browser the Galaxy Tab 7 Plus looks like the better device. Also, the 7 Plus is available now. But why is Samsung not including the good features of the 7 Plus in the Galaxy Tab 2? To make things more confusing, ICS and HTML5 are only software differences, but this link suggests the Galaxy Tab 7 Plus (and others) will get ICS soon.

So would a Galaxy Tab 7 Plus be a good buy?

VVV But besides the remote, are there any other reasons I should avoid the Galaxy Tab 7 Plus? I like the low price and a 7" screen seems just fine. I already had a 7" android tablet in the past with lovely software, but besides the software the size was fine.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 9, 2012

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Colonel Sanders posted:

I am thinking about getting a tablet that I can use as a remote control, would really like one with built in IR.

This sounds cool in practice, but in reality it sucks rear end. Even a 7" tablet is bulky when you're trying to use it like a remote, there's no tactile feedback which is more important than you think, it's far more prone to breaking in situations/places where you'd normally keep a remote, and the battery life means you're going to be doing a lot of charging to keep it running.

The PS3 can only turn on/off via bluetooth (even if you get a IR dongle), so whatever tablet you had would have to support bluetooth commands in the remote software as well.

Seriously, just buy a Harmony remote or forget about the remote stuff altogether, you're artificially limiting yourself to a few tablets by requiring built-in IR.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Vizio tablets might have IR support if memory serves.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/1225/8439

That may be of some help

EDIT - to answer your "will I dislike a wifi only tablet?" question... Why would you want two mobile internet bills? If you've got an android phone and you're even a little bit techy you should be able to root and unlock wifi tethering, then you can just share your phones 3g or 4g with your laptop or tablet. I do this all the time because my favorite coffee shop doesn't have wifi.

JesusDoesVegas fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 9, 2012

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Don't know about the other questions, but according to their docs the Sony tablet does all kinds of crazy remote control poo poo on their products, PS3s, TVs, etc. Apparently it's built right in.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Update: ASUS GPS Dongle for Transformer Prime

I just received a call from ASUS saying that they have received my application to get a GPS dongle to make up for the poor GPS issues on the ASUS Transformer Prime Tablet. They said that the program does not actually start until April 16, but it will take about three weeks after April 16th for them to be received by customers.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

Update: ASUS GPS Dongle for Transformer Prime

I just received a call from ASUS saying that they have received my application to get a GPS dongle to make up for the poor GPS issues on the ASUS Transformer Prime Tablet. They said that the program does not actually start until April 16, but it will take about three weeks after April 16th for them to be received by customers.

So....their customer service is improving. 3 weeks instead of not acknowledging is a step forward, right?

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
I stopped at best buy over the weekend and played with a prime. It's kinda hard to really experience a tablet on a display model but I did note that the gps on it worked well and it was noticeably thinner than the iPad 2 or 3 that they had on display. Lighter too, which is a selling point on a device you will be holding with 1 hand the majority of the time.
Of course they were sold out, but I will be buying one once my raise goes through.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Colonel Sanders posted:

I am thinking about getting a tablet that I can use as a remote control, would really like one with built in IR. So far I only know of two tablets with built in IR, the Sony Tablet S ($399, 9.4" playstation games) and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus ($299, 7", Peel remote). I would also really like to control my PS3 without shelling out for the PS3 blu-ray remote, I have no idea if peel or the sony can do that. I am pretty much certain I should not get the Sony tablet because it is more expensive and I really don't care about the screen size difference.

The stock PS3 doesn't use IR for it's remote, it uses BluTooth... http://phandroid.com/2011/02/28/use-your-android-device-as-a-bluetooth-input-device-for-the-ps3-video/ is about a possible app for android to use it's blutooth for ps3 videos...

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

kmcormick9 posted:

I stopped at best buy over the weekend and played with a prime. It's kinda hard to really experience a tablet on a display model but I did note that the gps on it worked well
Indoors? Pardon but I'm a little doubtful. Note that you can't just check your location on Google Maps, since it will get an accurate fix from the Wifi network; to really test the GPS reception you need to use an app such as GPS Test.

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!

Rastor posted:

Indoors? Pardon but I'm a little doubtful. Note that you can't just check your location on Google Maps, since it will get an accurate fix from the Wifi network; to really test the GPS reception you need to use an app such as GPS Test.

I haven't used anything like GPS test but I have no problem with the Prime locating itself inside a building. What I have had a problem with is in a moving vehicle. As long as it was stationary it's good but moving it's not worth a crap.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kynetx posted:

Vizio tablets might have IR support if memory serves.

They do - plus the VTAB1008 just got updated to Honeycomb last month.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Both sizes of XYBoard have IR as well, and it works with the Dijit app pretty slickly. I use it on mine all the time.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

This reminds me - if you have a Google TV, get Able Remote. Now. It's not the prettiest app, but it has an incredibly good UX. The official GTV app is a total shitheap in comparison.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Toshiba to make quad-core Android 4.0 tablets in 7, 10, and 13 inch sizes

I'm really grateful that my Transformer Prime is so light for its size but holding it in my hands for a few minutes it seems to get heavier and heavier. I can only imagine a 13 inch tablet would be very heavy unless they make the screen out of plastic, and their target audience are users over 50? Not exactly the type to carry a heavy tablet around.

Maybe I'm just over-thinking it.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I know it is typo, but it was funny to me.

quote:

The smaller 0.35-inch thick, 1.32-pound Excite 10 will have a 12800x800 screen and get 10 hours of battery life.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

fondue posted:

I'm really grateful that my Transformer Prime is so light for its size but holding it in my hands for a few minutes it seems to get heavier and heavier. I can only imagine a 13 inch tablet would be very heavy unless they make the screen out of plastic, and their target audience are users over 50? Not exactly the type to carry a heavy tablet around.

No, you're pretty much dead-on. I got to see those tablets at CES, and the 13-incher was just kinda chilling out in a display box with tech reporters looking at it and loudly wondering :wtc:.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

No, you're pretty much dead-on. I got to see those tablets at CES, and the 13-incher was just kinda chilling out in a display box with tech reporters looking at it and loudly wondering :wtc:.
That's my reaction honestly.

In using my tablet, btw, I thought about it and realized that I seldom ever carry the thing - it spends its time propped-up in its cover. I suppose then a 13 inch tablet wouldn't be that bad for some seniors.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
Someone had to try it just to see if it will sell.

I don't know about anyone else, but 10" feels just right... (so many dirty jokes there).

If it came with a keyboard dock and the marketed it has a hybrid "ultrabook"/tablet that wod actually be rad. I use my tablet as a tv regularly, so a larger screen would make sense at times.. I still wouldn't buy one, but I bet some people could get into it.

JesusDoesVegas fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 10, 2012

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

JesusDoesVegas posted:

Someone had to try it just to see if it will sell.

I don't know about anyone else, but 10" feels just right... (so many dirty jokes there).

If it came with a keyboard dock and the marketed it has a hybrid "ultrabook"/tablet that wod actually be rad. I use my tablet as a tv regularly, so a larger screen would make sense at times.. I still wouldn't buy one, but I bet some people could get into it.

It really depends on the usage, really. My hetero life mate loves the Kindle Fire for how small it is, and takes it everywhere. I'm not sure if I like the 8 or 10 inch better, but I know that the 10 inch tablets definitely have their advantages if they have the hardware to support it.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

fondue posted:

I think there's a market for 13" and larger tablets, but it's not your backpack or eReader. I'd buy some for use in fixed environments like labs, libraries and information centers. They're portable enough within that space and can be fixed to provide touchscreen kiosks, which is spectacular.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Yeah there is a huge, still pretty untapped market for an all-in one unit for Kisoks, Digital Signs and Point of Sale systems.

The software needs to catch up a little more, but its getting there. Current options are usually windows xp based, seriously overpriced and bulky.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
If they're going to be mostly fixed in place, they don't really need to have batteries or anything, so they don't need to be proper tablets.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Install Gentoo posted:

If they're going to be mostly fixed in place, they don't really need to have batteries or anything, so they don't need to be proper tablets.

But they're not going to be mostly fixed in one place. Libraries and labs, especially, want to promote the whole Google Environment where you can take something and move it around and reposition it and turn it upside down and set it on a table and, blah blah blah.

If you're a modern research library at a modern university and you could have a Mini-Surface that doubles as a kiosk and can be used by students to read their eBooks on a beanbag chair 15 feet from the checkout desk, you should buy 20 of them for each library. Right now we're doing it with iPads, but most students aren't taking them home, so the high portability doesn't matter.

I'm also curious as to what your "or anything" is besides batteries even if they were fixed in place, or is that just a sloppy attempt to pretend that you have more of an argument?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TildeATH posted:

I'm also curious as to what your "or anything" is besides batteries even if they were fixed in place, or is that just a sloppy attempt to pretend that you have more of an argument?

A digital sign doesn't need all the power of your average tablet to display stuff, or even to be able to accept touchscreen input. Similarly kiosks and points of sale and such would do much better having a display hooked up to a computer, rather than just a tablet. Points of sale especially, since you ain't building a money drawer into a tablet unless you're crazy.

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!
Just an FYI for how this can be/has been used. A few years ago I dined in a very nice, upscale resturant in Vegas. The wine menu was large. So large in fact that it was presented on a tablet. We were able to go through the menu by type/flavor/price. It was amazing. This would not have worked had it been hooked up to a computer or if it had a lovely battery.

A great use of a tablet and of someone thinking outside of the box.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nannypea posted:

Just an FYI for how this can be/has been used. A few years ago I dined in a very nice, upscale resturant in Vegas. The wine menu was large. So large in fact that it was presented on a tablet. We were able to go through the menu by type/flavor/price. It was amazing. This would not have worked had it been hooked up to a computer or if it had a lovely battery.

A great use of a tablet and of someone thinking outside of the box.

Right but a menu with more stuff than can be displayed on a single screenful is much different from a digital sign, which doesn't require much if anything for interaction. That said, I doubt you'd be handling that menu tablet long enough that an 8 hour battery in it would be necessary.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I don't understand the people who think there's zero market for a 13" tablet.

Haven't you ever seen someone using a ridiculous laptop with a 20" screen? Sure it's not mainstream but there are people out there who gladly pay money for such things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Install Gentoo posted:

A digital sign doesn't need all the power of your average tablet to display stuff, or even to be able to accept touchscreen input. Similarly kiosks and points of sale and such would do much better having a display hooked up to a computer, rather than just a tablet. Points of sale especially, since you ain't building a money drawer into a tablet unless you're crazy.

I'm not suggesting digital signs or simple kiosks, but rather multi-use resources in lab, library and information environments. High-end retail establishments do similar things, if the adoption of tethered iPads by high-end department stores and Yoghurt shops here in Silicon Valley is any indication.