Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Success
Jun 15, 2007

MrTheDevious posted:

Just you wait. I loved my shaman before, but since 86+ I am head over heels. My direct heal hits for 35k, got a fast cast group heal that hits for 25ish plus leaves a HoT on everyone, and another direct group heal based on current hp that sends my 55k tank from 10% to 90% in half a second. A slow that causes the mob to proc another HoT on the tank, and a tank buff that procs a slow and causes yet ANOTHER HoT on the tank. A direct HoT that crit ticks for 5 or 6k/tick. Multiple AA group HoTs that land for insane heals. Unlimited mana. Group proc that hits for 1100 now. Epic turns melee into blenders every 3 minutes plus, yep, another HoT. Battle Rez. Group Radiant Cure that removes drat near every negative effect from everyone in the group with one cast.

I spammed Kodaji and the group with heals for 45 minutes straight while Agnarr whopped me for 6k hits and never dropped below 50m until we were almost done and I said gently caress it and got lazy. I don't even bother with cleric mercs anymore in T3 zones. I liked the shaman clear through 85, but at 89 I am a healing monster of epic proportions. Shaman are unreal post 85 and anyone who is feeling remotely lackluster currently, stick with it until then. My cleric merc hangs her head in shame while I poo poo out tens of thousands in heals and watch my mana climb back up constantly

Wait, what? Can someone remind me why I am leveling a cleric again, when a shaman seems to be ridiculous at healing and has sweet utility?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
Switch to a shaman. Seriously.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Mr.Success posted:

Wait, what? Can someone remind me why I am leveling a cleric again, when a shaman seems to be ridiculous at healing and has sweet utility?

Clerics are still more powerful healers and have their unique buffs, but for group content, shamans seem to be good enough, and on top of that, have all their utility.

I haven't played a cleric, but I assume they can do what a shaman can in terms of healing earlier and with less AA. I also don't think a shaman can solo heal the latest VoA content all alone, but who knows. You undoubtedly need them for raids, I would assume.

If you're levelling a cleric to be able to heal group content, I'd reconsider. :) Shaman is a fun toolbox and you can have a cleric merc heal very well.

Mr.Success
Jun 15, 2007

Yea I've been leveling a cleric thinking that it would be the best way to get groups (basically my #1 priority), but I've heard several things that make me think that a bard or shaman would be a better choice.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Do the closest possible latin translation to ascending fearboners.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Ominous Latin Words will bring me great personal joy.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
You mean Ascending Censored is already taken?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Mr.Success posted:

Yea I've been leveling a cleric thinking that it would be the best way to get groups (basically my #1 priority), but I've heard several things that make me think that a bard or shaman would be a better choice.

MUCH easier to find a group as a shaman than a cleric. Way way easier. Clerics can definitely outheal shamans still, but shaman is undoubtedly fully capable of group healing at least up to the latest expansion and I bet VoA just means I'll have to pop a single cleric merc again on nameds. The utility is also no comparison since cleric mercs cast the big cleric hp buff.

RIP Fearboners. Verily, thou hast gone the way of the Butt Doctor and ye shall forever be remembered

Delightful Tonka Truck
Nov 20, 2004

The337th posted:

Ominous Latin Words will bring me great personal joy.

I think this one is the best suggestion so far.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
Ominous latin words is a great name.

I also like Ascending Anglos.

TAC
Jun 24, 2010
Reading this thread is making me want to start up again, but I won't be back from overseas for another 8 months. I hope this is still going strong.

Have a 90 PAL/BRD/SHM combo on Drinal (and Tarew Marr before that), stopped playing midway through HoT, but the Paladin was something around 6k AA/7k AC. Man, I'm going to suck when I get back.

Also, hey Grampybone, nice to see another Drinal player.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Do I need to remove my anchors from the guildhall and move them to the new one? Also Koda, the SK is ready for anguish > final boss fight and he's got his 2.0. I'm so pumped.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Bahanahab posted:

Outside of the typical AA's that go for any healer in the game, is there anything specifically for the druid that people recommend getting as fast as possible?

There really isn't an updated guide for a lot of classes, that shm one is 7 years old and a bunch of the AAs don't even have the same names. But I'll update my post from the druid forums a bit. This is just a list of good AAs to get in no real order. Mostly to avoid wasted AA points at lower counts when they make a bigger difference for your character.

It depends on your role for those first 1k AAs and the next 1.5K AAs.

General AAs to grab: Innate Enlightenment, the early levels of planar power, Innate camo, soe or foe, whatever port AAs look cool, The cheap levels of CA/CS and ND, Shield block as you can (use a shield), Silent casting, lower levels of Healing Gift, Healing Adept, Fury of Magic, Radiant Cure 1, Exodus, Fortified Survival, Call of the Wild, Gift of Mana, Spell Casting Mastery, Spell Casting Reinforcement, Spell Casting Subtlety, Mnemonic Retention as soon it opens up, Secondary Specialization (Evoc or Alt, whichever your main spec isn't).

Heal focus: Get your Healing gift and adept worked up, Both White Wolves and hastened lycan soul maxed out. Do not get copious or abundant healing, they're both pretty bad.

DPS focus: This goes a lot deeper. Improve DD crit rate, hasten nukes, improved crit damage, max out black wolves as above. Nature's fury, first spire, Improved twincast.

There's probably a couple lower level dedicated AAs that I'm missing. But the next in line for support should be getting Convergence of Spirits tricked out, along with bear spirit and 1 rank of extended bear. On the DPS side, the DoT AAs will eat a ton of AAs and not be all that great, same for the pet AAs. Somewhere around 3k AA you should be decent at both roles while missing out on huge AA sinks that give minor improvements.

Try to keep your chosen wolf form (both self and group version) along with GoM maxed as you level. I put an Audio Trigger on "spirit of the black wolf leaves" to let me know when to cast the other version, and you can block the illusion of the group version (Form of the Black/White Wolf).

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Ascending REDACTED

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

New guild formed pretty much everyone can invite go wild son.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.
Anyone have a recent magician AA guide? All the ones I find are very old and seem pretty outdated.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

Dead Precedents posted:

Anyone have a recent magician AA guide? All the ones I find are very old and seem pretty outdated.

I second this request. Mage has been one of the more difficult classes to get good/modern information about.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Mage: Get pet AAs. Get nuke/crit AAs. Get whatever else.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

MrTheDevious posted:

Mage: Get pet AAs. Get nuke/crit AAs. Get whatever else.

Maybe something more substantive than this would be useful? Though this is definitely a thing.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

That's seriously the answer. Mage = pet/nuke, so dump AA into those then do whatever floats your boat

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

MrTheDevious posted:

MUCH easier to find a group as a shaman than a cleric. Way way easier. Clerics can definitely outheal shamans still, but shaman is undoubtedly fully capable of group healing at least up to the latest expansion and I bet VoA just means I'll have to pop a single cleric merc again on nameds. The utility is also no comparison since cleric mercs cast the big cleric hp buff.

RIP Fearboners. Verily, thou hast gone the way of the Butt Doctor and ye shall forever be remembered

Butte Doctor. No seriously, Ominous Latin Words is awesome.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

Maybe something more substantive than this would be useful? Though this is definitely a thing.

Just to reiterate - he wasn't being snarky or lazy or anything. Find a spot where you can grind out AA decently, level-lock, then just buy anything pet related.

Even as a monk, I've noticed AAs, if you like to level-lock and grind, start flowing fast and easy. Monks definitely have a "oh get this first" order on a few things, but really, you just end up getting everything DPS related. If you're at a spot where you can grind AAs good, then more AAs just makes the spot easier. You obviously don't need any AAs to grind there, but you'll need/want them for your next spot, so just go ahead and get all of them that are available to you, until you get them all or get tired of being there.

One big tip I'd make for those grinding exp of any sort - move around! gently caress "only this one zone is super efficient". I mean, I definitely did my share of time in the Hole, make no mistake. But I also spent a lot of time in Greig's End, Plane of Fire, one of the Kattas, Stoneroot Falls, Vergalid Mines, Valdeholm, Ashengate, several LDONs, Splitpaw, and I'm sure more zones and other exploration that I forgot about.

My point is - the game is a lot more fun if you take advantage of the wide breadth it has to offer. If you're like "oh this game sucks, so tired of grinding AAs in the hole" then loving move! EQ is a time-investment game, so refusing to move because a certain spot gives you 2 more AA an hour is silly =P.

Now that I'm done with Everfrost LDONs (got my dodge aug), did my first deepest guk LDON last night :D. They still give exp, so gonna do all the other LDONs for a while when we're not grouping elsewhere. I love the straight-forward dungeon crawl aspect of them.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

Buy ranks as they open up at each level of anything for passive pet melee crits and flurries, pet melee avoidance and mitigation, and your nuke crit chance and strength. Stuff with cooldowns are usually less important but try to keep up with Gift of Mana, Frenzied Burnout, the Spires, Twincast. The Replenish Companion lines are nice to have but I wouldn't put this on par with above in importance.

Do this in Infected Paw sans merc starting at level 71 with the AA that buffs/heals your pet when you use the summon/construct bane nuke line (more details on this in the last thread and also on the magetower site).

Chum Scandal fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 10, 2012

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
I took everyone's advice and finally outfitted my ranger in some HOT T1 gear (only about 5 pieces) and new weapons, and holy poo poo, that jump in power even on those few slots is INSANE.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

As a mage the gift of line is very important for free servants. Also if you are a solo mage companion of necessity rocks, other than that all pet aas are worth getting , along with things like scr, scm, and spell damage stuff. Theft of essence owns because you can level on elementals in a lot of places.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Kithyen still needs guilded. I'll try to be on in the next couple of days to get an invite. Also another vote for our awesome new guild name.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
So I dont really understand why people still refuse to use mercs. I see this all the time in the open world zones and inside of dungeons. And Im not taking a full group, obviously in a full group you dont need them, but someone soloing or a duo, boxing? Why not use them?? We have been grinding AA in Vergalid for the past 2 weeks and we see this all the time. One person told us that mercs give an exp hit if you have them. But even so the efficiency skyrockets so much having them that even with the exp hit Im sure its twice as good as without. Especially for a duo or more so you can get the tank and healer merc. I saw one duo run past our group without mercs and the further we made it in we saw the same duo dead.

When my group of friends are not playing Im trying to level a Shaman on a brand new account and use my Druid on my main account to group with the Shaman. I got both a healer and tank merc and its like you dont even have to do anything but pull and they will take care of the rest. One time I was in PoD fighting flies and rats and went AFK for a few while on the phone. I came back and my mercs took care of like 5 mobs which repoped on us. So Its like I can just go AFK in that spot, come back in a few hours and profit?

Again, I just dont understand why people do not use them.

Peechka fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 10, 2012

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Mages don't use them grinding in Paw because of a special AA that turns your nukes into nukes/buffs/heals. There are probably other special cases - I don't play a high level monk but from what others have said, they can heal themselves very efficiently and maybe that makes the xp rate better solo in certain cases. Otherwise I would agree with you.

\/\/ I thought the full group bonus was only for having real players?

Chum Scandal fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 10, 2012

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I don't know anyone refusing to use mercs, at least not in our guild. Now, if you got a place you solo with no/little downtime without a merc, then you shouldn't use it "just because". But while doing LDONs, for example, a rogue merc helps me cut through things twice as fast. Yes, they eat up exp, but it's at worst case proportional to the speed increase. Not to mention, in my case it means I get done with the LDON faster, and in other cases, it means more loot too.

There are definitely times where a merc is a bad idea - after all, tanks will start being too low health all the time, you'll have to be taking breaks to let your cleric med, etc. So when they start introducing downtime, you should look at ditching them. Get yourself some healing potions instead.

But yeah, overall - I haven't seen this anti-merc sentiment. But don't use them "just because", because there are conditions where they'll bring you down.

Also to note - if you're in a 5 person group, pop a sixth for a merc. In one case my exp-per-kill actually went up, other cases, it's stayed the same. So it's free healing / dps. This goes for any sixth slot - the full group bonus covers the exp sharing.

Peechka posted:

So Its like I can just go AFK in that spot, come back in a few hours and profit?

Yep. It's even approved.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Peechka posted:

So I dont really understand why people still refuse to use mercs. I see this all the time in the open world zones and inside of dungeons. And Im not taking a full group, obviously in a full group you dont need them, but someone soloing or a duo, boxing? Why not use them?? We have been grinding AA in Vergalid for the past 2 weeks and we see this all the time. One person told us that mercs give an exp hit if you have them. But even so the efficiency skyrockets so much having them that even with the exp hit Im sure its twice as good as without. Especially for a duo or more so you can get the tank and healer merc. I saw one duo run past our group without mercs and the further we made it in we saw the same duo dead.

When my group of friends are not playing Im trying to level a Shaman on a brand new account and use my Druid on my main account to group with the Shaman. I got both a healer and tank merc and its like you dont even have to do anything but pull and they will take care of the rest. One time I was in PoD fighting flies and rats and went AFK for a few while on the phone. I came back and my mercs took care of like 5 mobs which repoped on us. So Its like I can just go AFK in that spot, come back in a few hours and profit?

Again, I just dont understand why people do not use them.

I don't use any mercs if I'm kiting or root rotting on my necro. If I'm doing this I'm usually PL'ing someone or one of my bots and want them to get all the xp possible.

Don't know why anyone else wouldn't use a merc, unless they can kill hard and fast without one- then it would make sense.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
On another note, here is a question for the vets. We usually roll with Ranger(me), my brother a Pally, and one of our buddies which boxes a Chanter and a Wizard. We all stopped at 75 to grind out some AA and now we basically all have about 500-600 AA. Is this enough AA grinding for 75? Would you grind out to have 1K AA or just stop grinding now and get to LV80 and stop there for some more? We were kind of debating this in the past few nights. I said that we should get to 80 first, now that we have a solid base and then stop to grind some more, but they still want to stay at 75 and keep grining some more AA.

My thought is when we get to 80, there is such a huge power spike that we will be able to go back to the mid 70's zones and rape for AA more efficiently.

Peechka fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 10, 2012

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
So what's the name of the goon guild now? Sorry if I missed it, but I didn't see it in the OP.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
It is Ominous Latin Words.

Minaces Latinis = Ominious Latin Words in Latin

Richard Cabeza fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 10, 2012

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I've found the best way to spend AA's is to get about 15 unspent. Then check "only show AA's I can buy" or whatever the button is, and just look through them all.

It's fairly obvious what AA's are going to be good and which are going to be bad.

Decent AA's in the general tab:
-Innate Run Speed
-Combat Agility / Combat Stability (Definitely get ranks 1-3 of both as these give the most substantial bonus.) (Ranks 4-8 are 1% per, 9+ are presumably less. (to the best of my knowledge))
-Natural Durability
-Mystical Attuning (can be good for classes with lots of self buffs and clickies don't grab this first by any means)

After the general tab just think to yourself. Do I do X alot? Does this AA increase X? So for pets, you want to grab pet crit, pet flurry, ect. If you have your pet tank, grab pet defensive AA's. The Archetype / Class should be fairly easy to figure out.

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 10, 2012

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Peechka posted:

On another note, here is a question for the vets. We usually roll with Ranger(me), my brother a Pally, and one of our buddies which boxes a Chanter and a Wizard. We all stopped at 75 to grind out some AA and now we basically all have about 500-600 AA. Is this enough AA grinding for 75? Would you grind out to have 1K AA or just stop grinding now and get to LV80 and stop there for some more? We were kind of debating this in the past few nights. I said that we should get to 80 first, now that we have a solid base and then stop to grind some more, but they still want to stay at 75 and keep grining some more AA.

My thought is when we get to 80, there is such a huge power spike that we will be able to go back to the mid 70's zones and rape for AA more efficiently.

It depends on the class as for how "crucial" more AAs are to them. But my opinion is "do what's fun for you". If you're tired of grinding AA at that level, then level up some more. You guys don't have to all level together. A 75 can group with an 80 just fine. If some of you want to move on up, then do that. By the time you're at 80, they'll probably be ready to unlock and level up again, meanwhile you'll back to catching up to them with AA.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Bugamol posted:

I've found the best way to spend AA's is to get about 15 unspent. Then check "only show AA's I can buy" or whatever the button is, and just look through them all.

It's fairly obvious what AA's are going to be good and which are going to be bad.

Decent AA's in the general tab:
-Innate Run Speed
-Combat Agility / Combat Stability
-Definitely get ranks 1-3 of both as these give the most substantial bonus.
-Ranks 4-8 are 1% per, 9+ are presumably less. (to the best of my knowledge)
-Natural Durability
-Mystical Attuning (can be good for classes with lots of self buffs and clickies don't grab this first by any means)

After the general tab just think to yourself. Do I do X alot? Does this AA increase X? So for pets, you want to grab pet crit, pet flurry, ect. If you have your pet tank, grab pet defensive AA's. The Archetype / Class should be fairly easy to figure out.

Yes a lot of them are self explanatory and usually you can tell if they are good or not. But reading up on a few of mine (Ranger) some of that poo poo is either broken, not worth it, even though it sounds good. And its still good to know what is the best bang for your AA, especially at the lower AA numbers where it can mean the best gains.

For instance, Ranger AA at lv 80 is Harmonious Arrow, with the description as follows:

This ability provides you with a magical arrow that will be able to draw a single target from a group of enemies. This ability works on targets that are level 85 or lower.

So you would think to yourself this is a no brainier, right? Well this ability supposedly got nerfed so it no longer works and it only pulls trains.

Or another one such as "Precision of the Pathfinder" which supposedly increases your accuracy with weapons, and some say that while parsing data, that this is also broken or it does so little that its not worth it. While you would think that this is also a no brainier since it would probably increase bow and weapon accuracy.

Also some of that poo poo is just too vague. And what would really help is some AA stat sheet on your character sheet where you can see the changes you are making with your AA.

Peechka fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 10, 2012

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Unfortunately it's going to be extremely hard to find anything like that. You're just going to have to make your own judgement calls, or ask about individual AA's on a case by case basis. This isn't like WoW or any other huge game where you can easily find a guide that tells you exactly what to buy at what levels for an ideal build. The good news is that if you buy a lovely AA it's not really the end of the world and you can just grind out a few more and not worry about it.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Peechka posted:

Personally, I would go ahead and level to 80. 500+ AA's is more than enough for the basic of everything, including tanks, to at least survive. The paladin will always need more AA's to tank more efficiently, but at least 80 gives you some amazing gear to make up for anything he's lacking.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Bugamol posted:

Unfortunately it's going to be extremely hard to find anything like that. You're just going to have to make your own judgement calls, or ask about individual AA's on a case by case basis. This isn't like WoW or any other huge game where you can easily find a guide that tells you exactly what to buy at what levels for an ideal build. The good news is that if you buy a lovely AA it's not really the end of the world and you can just grind out a few more and not worry about it.

Yeah I agree, but some of those AA lines you can literally spend 100s of AAs on. And some work in a way that the first few ranks show little to no improvement but the cumulative total after getting all of them in that line does. I agree that its no big deal if you spend them wrong but they should make the overall system a bit more intuitive.

Again, a stat sheet would be nice, where you can see the effects of your AA in a numerical value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

"We are no longer offering transfers off of Test server under any circumstances."

That's what I got from a lead GM. Time to find out what circumstances changed in the past month.