Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!

Zahki posted:

I think Tokiomi must be well aware of whats happening to Sakura. I mean poo poo, he knows that Kariya decided to become a mage and enter the grail war and that Zoukens training turned his hair white, made one eye blind, broke his leg and gave him creepy moving veins on his face and barely raised an eyebrow. I think he knows exactly how the Matou teach their magic but just doesn't care since in his eyes magical power is the most important thing in the world, whether you need to be raped by dickworms day and night to attain it or not.

Also fantastic episode. I was hoping that we'd get more Berserker action but didn't realise how soon he'd be back, and in a loving awesome way too. My jaw dropped when it showed him sitting on top of the jet as I realised what was about to happen. Hopefully he wipes the smug smirk off Gils face next episode somehow.

Tokiomi thinks Kariya is a total fuckup. (He's not exactly wrong.) He has no reason to generalize Kariya's damage as a typical example of Matou training.

He might also be disinclined to seriously investigate anything that might reveal he's a bad father. But while he really is a bit of a dick, Tokiomi doesn't register as someone crazed enough to not care if he knew the full magnitude of what was happening to Sakura in Zouken's basement. Magi are pretty cold, but not on that level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DerLeo posted:

It may very well not work: the only example we have of a magus with no Crest is Waver, and he can't do all that much. Compare him to, say, Rin...

From what I remember, Shirou's about the only magus in Fate who is completely without a crest of some sort, since he was adopted and Kiritsugu didn't really want him to be a mage anyway. You can kind of see the result of that in Stay Night, where he's limited to a very specific bit of magic and he's not really particularly good at that in the beginning. Even the basic stuff on Waver's level, like alchemy, hypnotism, familiars, etc. is way above what Shirou can do.

And yes, the crests can definitely be transferred and used after death, though it's common for some work to be done on the heir beforehand.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Man, if only either Kariya or Tokiomi could have seen the endgame of this feud in Heaven's Feel...

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Nate RFB posted:

Man, if only either Kariya or Tokiomi could have seen the endgame of this feud in Heaven's Feel...

Tokiomi probably would have been stoked that his daughters are dueling it out with True Magic in the shadow of the Grail.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Considering that the Holy Grail War is one of those things were Magi are allowed to use their talents to the fullest (With some limitations of course), I don't think Magi would kill one another very often. There's clearly a very aristocratic angle to them and murdering another mage, considering how Tokiomi views non-magi, would probably get everyone on his rear end. Now, challenging them and fighting them honorably? That's probably fine since it's a display of your family's legacy. If it's to the death, then the participants knew what they were risking and they were willing to bet everything. If they die, at least the crest might be recoverable.

Hell, Kiritsugu is pretty much a wanted man for murdering mages without really bothering about his methods or how much attention he garnered. Kayneth attempted to challenge him to a true contest between mages and, well, yeah.

As for accidents with heirs, well, it is the mage's responsibility. A mage who lets an heir die is either careless or callous. No mage would want to be seen as the former and the latter is their own business. After all, I don't think Tokiomi would appreciate another mage coming by to make sure he's teaching Rin safely and properly. He wouldn't do the same to the Matou, even if he is aware of/disagrees with their training methods. That'd just be rude.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Argas posted:

Hell, Kiritsugu is pretty much a wanted man for murdering mages without really bothering about his methods or how much attention he garnered. Kayneth attempted to challenge him to a true contest between mages and, well, yeah.
He's not really a wanted man. He is a mercenary that other mages, including the Association, are happy to use when it suits their interests. It's not as if the wizard cops are after him with an arrest warrant.

The only real rule the Association has is "keep your poo poo hidden"; as long as mages don't draw attention to the existence of magic they can do whatever they please.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Darth Walrus posted:

It's more that Yuki Kaijura is doing the music for both shows. When you have the same composer, you're likely to get similar sounds.

Fair enough, I didn't know who the music director was or that they did work for both shows. Makes a lot more sense now. They probably have a history of being attached to Urobuchi projects, right?

Rexides posted:

It was still a better fate than being eaten alive by a lovecraftian monstrosity

Waffleman_ posted:

Ougi and Kobayashi, never forget. :japan:
Yeah, that's for sure. Diabolo-1 and 2, never forget. Godspeed.:japan:

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
The music in the fighter scene is a variation of the same music where Berserker showed up in the first season.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Kiritsugu couldn't have passed on a crest to Shirou even if he wanted to, since the Grail destroyed his completely, along with all his circuits.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

-Troika- posted:

Kiritsugu couldn't have passed on a crest to Shirou even if he wanted to, since the Grail destroyed his completely, along with all his circuits.

For that matter, I vaguely remember that a large portion of the Emiya crest had been damaged/erased/sealed by the Mage's Association during some kind of confrontation with Kiritsugu, so he was working with a partial deck as it was.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Is it ever explained why Kiritsugu decided to teach Shirou magic anyway? Apparently the method he was using was ridiculously dangerous, doesn't seem like the kind of thing you'd want to teach if you weren't going to do a very good job of it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Basically Shirou begged him until he agreed to do it. Also, Kiritsugu is a bad teacher, probably a lot worse than most other magus would be-- he focused more on what stuff could do, rather than why.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

-Troika- posted:

Basically Shirou begged him until he agreed to do it. Also, Kiritsugu is a bad teacher, probably a lot worse than most other magus would be-- he focused more on what stuff could do, rather than why.

Still better than the "spend weeks in a big pile of bugs which live in your orifices" teaching method.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Well, in terms of actual results in making you able to use magecraft, the Matou method is indeed better.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sanguinia posted:

For that matter, I vaguely remember that a large portion of the Emiya crest had been damaged/erased/sealed by the Mage's Association during some kind of confrontation with Kiritsugu, so he was working with a partial deck as it was.

Zahki posted:

Is it ever explained why Kiritsugu decided to teach Shirou magic anyway? Apparently the method he was using was ridiculously dangerous, doesn't seem like the kind of thing you'd want to teach if you weren't going to do a very good job of it.

We should see some details of Kiritsugu's past later this season (as you may have guessed from the new OP and ED) and there should also be some coverage of the intervening years between Zero and Stay/Night from Kiritsugu's perspective. I don't know how well it'll translate from page to screen, but the later bits of the series really cranks up the characterization on Kiritsugu.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011
So, I've been looking up on who in ufotable has been doing what for Fate/Zero, and I've noticed that while Fate/Zero does look great, several of their more notable animators have been conspicuously absent thus far. People like Tetsuya Takeuchi (Yuri Seijin Naoko-san) and Takayuki Hirao (Kara no Kyoukai: Paradox Spiral, Gyo) have minimal to almost nonexistent presence in this anime up to this point.

Judging from the interview included in the blu-rays and several observations made from other forums, it seems the primary focus of Fate/Zero in terms of visuals is not based upon traditional animation, but rather the usage of digital photography and CGI. Specially, the usage of the latter to simulate a virtual camera, which would be used similarly to live-action cinematography. You can see examples of this plastered all over the second OP, with the camera pans and zooms near the beginning, the lighting in the shots of Fuyuki, and the shot behind the motocycle near the end.

This isn't anything necessarily important to most people, but I thought it was interesting when somebody pointed that out to me.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I can't say I know much about traditional animation: they're basically acting as if they're a film crew with a camera, instead of just doing whatever, right?

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

DerLeo posted:

I can't say I know much about traditional animation: they're basically acting as if they're a film crew with a camera, instead of just doing whatever, right?

Yeah, that's pretty much the gist. The backgrounds and props were probably 3D environments originally, to achieve this effect.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Troika you might wanted to have spoilered that, I for one hadnt read the light novel yet :(

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Fate/Zero, I missed you :allears:. That was a great episode, it looked fantastic too (it had better have, what with the 3 month break :argh:). I'm glad Kiritsugu finally assassinated someone, after 13 episodes of building up to it. I'm looking forward to the next episode, can Lancer break the curse of his accord, or does he have to die?

Raenir Salazar posted:

Troika you might wanted to have spoilered that, I for one hadnt read the light novel yet :(

Didn't we already know what he posted from F/SN? I feel like I already knew that, although maybe I was already spoiled.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 10, 2012

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

Oh Fate/Zero, I missed you :allears:. That was a great episode, it looked fantastic too (it had better have, what with the 3 month break :argh:). I'm glad Kiritsugu finally assassinated someone, after 13 episodes of building up to it. I'm looking forward to the next episode, can Lancer break the curse of his accord, or does he have to die?

Didn't we already know what he posted from F/SN? I feel like I already knew that, although maybe I was already spoiled.

We know that he was sick somehow from F/SN, we have no idea quite what happened at the end of the 4th to make him that way.

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
Mercury Poisoning!

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

-Troika- posted:

Its more of what happened to Kiritsugu, Shirou's origin and what Kiritsugu doesn't want Shirou to become that made Shirou a bad mage.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

DerLeo posted:

We know that he was sick somehow from F/SN, we have no idea quite what happened at the end of the 4th to make him that way.

No, Kotomine explains it more-or-less completely at the end of F/SN's Fate route.

quote:

Its more of what happened to Kiritsugu, Shirou's origin and what Kiritsugu doesn't want Shirou to become that made Shirou a bad mage.

Bad mage, sure, but an awesome faker. The stupidity of his way of magecraft prepared him nicely for the stupidity of his special ability. Whether that was a coincidence, or Kiritsugu's plan all along, is probably up in the air.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 10, 2012

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
On a random note, just why is it that in the face of a regenerating monster the one Servant with a weapon that inflicts cursed wounds that cannot be healed by any means is sitting on the side-lines picking his nose?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Lestaki posted:

On a random note, just why is it that in the face of a regenerating monster the one Servant with a weapon that inflicts cursed wounds that cannot be healed by any means is sitting on the side-lines picking his nose?

Haha, I was wondering why they did it like that in the anime. In the novels, apparently this monster is more powerful than the curse on Lancer's spear.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Lestaki posted:

Because Lancer has no means of getting over to the monster, he can't walk on water like Saber can. Also his spear can't cause damage over a large area like Sabers sword or Riders chariot. Even if it couldn't heal, the attacks would be like tiny pinpricks on a thing that size anyway.

Evader
May 20, 2008

One morning, when I woke up, there was a lizard in my room.
I'd also bet it has something to do with the fact that he can't fly, walk on water, or fly an F-14.

EFB

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
It seems trivial to let him hitch a ride on Rider's chariot, given Waver hangs out there all day. But sure, I'll accept the notion cthulhu doesn't give a drat about your petty curses, if I must.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Vengarr posted:

No, Kotomine explains it more-or-less completely at the end of F/SN's Fate route.

Bad mage, sure, but an awesome faker. The stupidity of his way of magecraft prepared him nicely for the stupidity of his special ability. Whether that was a coincidence, or Kiritsugu's plan all along, is probably up in the air.

I always thought that Kiritsugi showed Shirou how to start magic and then told him, "but if you screw up you'll instantly die" under the assumption that Shirou would immediately quit. But Shirou persevered like the dumbass he is.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
After lurking around on this particular part of the forums for a while, I figured I would give this anime a shot.

Just have to say I am hopelessly addicted to it now.

I have only watched up to episode 14 of the Fate/Zero series though, are the other series as good/better/worth watching?

Its very good anime that turns me into a fanboi in the space of three episodes...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ocrassus posted:

After lurking around on this particular part of the forums for a while, I figured I would give this anime a shot.

I have only watched up to episode 14 of the Fate/Zero series though, are the other series as good/better/worth watching?

Its very good anime that turns me into a fanboi in the space of three episodes...

The Fate/Stay Night anime is pretty mediocre, I (and pretty much everybody) would recommend playing the Visual Novel instead. It's not without it's flaws, but it's a much better experience than the anime.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Ocrassus posted:

Unfortunately, no. Despite Fate being a huge franchise, this is the only good animated adaption of it. However, there is a pretty good Let's Play of the Fate/Stay Night visual novel. The VN is actually pretty good and and LP itself is pretty entertaining.

EDIT: Though keep in mind that F/SN takes place ten years after Fate/Zero, so if you read it now it'll spoil this anime for you.

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 11, 2012

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Ocrassus posted:

Fate/Stay Night is pretty FAQ, but at least it's easier to get into than the VN, which has a hideously slow start. The Tsukihime anime is... not good. The KnK one is quite good (same studio, same musician, same quality), but it's also very heavy on Nasuwords, which drag it down a lot at times.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Thanks guys, I guess I'll just stick with Fate Zero for now then, I'd rather not spoil the mythos for myself!

Has the question as to whom everybodys favourite champion been asked in this thread yet?

Naturally most people will probably shout 'Arturis/Sabre', but I much prefer the characters of Iskander (For comic relief mainly) and Gilgamesh (In terms of just being a shithead with lots of stuff).

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

I like Lancer, he's such a bro, this episode definitely warmed me up to Berserker in terms of sheer badassery though. I don't really like Gilgamesh as a character, he has no personality apart from smugness.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

The King needs no personality.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Zahki posted:

I like Lancer, he's such a bro, this episode definitely warmed me up to Berserker in terms of sheer badassery though. I don't really like Gilgamesh as a character, he has no personality apart from smugness.

Question is, who is the bigger badass? Kiritsugu or Berserker?

a neurotic ai fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 11, 2012

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Ocrassus posted:

Question is, who is the bigger badass? Kiritsugu or Berserker THERE WAS ONCE A THING HERE

Okay, erase that, there is no reason to spoil that yet at all.

edit: woah good speed!

Scrree fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Scrree posted:

Okay, erase that, there is no reason to spoil that yet at all.

I preempted that before you even posted. Apologies, sometimes I can't but help sneak a peek at the wiki. Usually when i find a good anime series, it has already run its course so i can watch it from end to finish, it can be so drat frustrating when the serial is still running.

• Locked thread