Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Metal Loaf posted:

even a really obscure droid called Bollux had a page all to himself.

The person who did the Han Solo comics has never heard crude British slang apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Master Soon Bayts has nothing on Bollux. Even Yarael Poof can't match him as far as unfortunate names go.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The prequels.

But those were universally reviled by sensible people. I'm talking about the fanboys who frequent places like TFN.

The closest thing I can think would be the Holiday Specials, the Ewok movies, and the Ewoks and Droids cartoons, but those date back to the 80s. I'm more interested in 1997 - present.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Metal Loaf posted:

Even a really obscure droid called Bollux had a page all to himself.

Hey don't you go hating on Bollux. Or Blue Max. I'd rather have another book with those guys to than listen to the EU writers have another OH LOOK IT'S C3PO LOOK HOW ANNOYING HE IS GUYS GUYS ISN'T HE ANNOYING GUYS AND R2D2'S SWEARING AT HIM IN A FAMILY FRIENDLY MANNER GUYS HAHAHA thing.

I mean, really, not to rant, but C3P0's characterization is the one that seems to flux the most from author to author, and some do him so badly. So badly.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Casimir Radon posted:

It's Wookiepedia editors that spend all kinds of energy trying to resolve all the stupid poo poo until it fits, and it never does.

Actually there's a guy at Lucas Licensing that's in charge of that, Leland Chee. His job title is something to the effect of Keeper of the Holocron, and he's responsible for sorting out continuity errors and helping to reconcile things.

Chairman Capone posted:

I may actually buy this one, at least when the price goes down and I can find it used.

Amazon.com has it 35% off at the moment, if that helps.

EDIT:

Metal Loaf posted:

I think Bollux/Blue Max reappeared in one of the earlier NJO books. Perhaps it was a different character; it's been years since I read it.

That was actually a BFL model, named Baffle, that Han ran into. He did mistake Baffle for Bollux though.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 5, 2012

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Bollux/Blue Max reappeared in one of the earlier NJO books. Perhaps it was a different character; it's been years since I read it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

iolo_the_bard posted:

Actually there's a guy at Lucas Licensing that's in charge of that, Leland Chee. His job title is something to the effect of Keeper of the Holocron, and he's responsible for sorting out continuity errors and helping to reconcile things.

I know about Leland Chee. He's not the one going around speculating that Jedi Prince was a bedtime story, or that such and such character did this and it was like this except that time it wasn't. He hands down judgements once in a while, but the major sperging is all Wookiepedia.

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
The Department of Redundancy Department
I asked in the image request thread in PYF, but no one seems to be biting, so I'll ask here.

I seem remember a thread where someone had found some extremely goofy subtitles for Star Wars Episode III. One of them (I forget the context) was 'KINDLY REMOVE YOUR SPACE PANTS SIR' or something to that effect. Someone made an image that was that title over a screencap of an alien and Obi-Wan making a goofy crosseyed face. Does anyone have that image? I seem to have lost it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

On that note, does anyone have the iconic "IG-88s? In MY Death Star?"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Portfolio posted:

I asked in the image request thread in PYF, but no one seems to be biting, so I'll ask here.

I seem remember a thread where someone had found some extremely goofy subtitles for Star Wars Episode III. One of them (I forget the context) was 'KINDLY REMOVE YOUR SPACE PANTS SIR' or something to that effect. Someone made an image that was that title over a screencap of an alien and Obi-Wan making a goofy crosseyed face. Does anyone have that image? I seem to have lost it.

I don't recognize the image, but it sounds like it might be something from the famous badly-translated Backstroke of the West.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Portfolio posted:

I hate that drat thing, but knock yourself out.

Chairman Capone posted:

On that note, does anyone have the iconic "IG-88s? In MY Death Star?"

People periodically ask for that, but nobody seems to have a copy.

Saint Guinness
Apr 17, 2007

that awful man posted:

People periodically ask for that, but nobody seems to have a copy.

Speak for yourself!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

I know about Leland Chee. He's not the one going around speculating that Jedi Prince was a bedtime story, or that such and such character did this and it was like this except that time it wasn't. He hands down judgements once in a while, but the major sperging is all Wookiepedia.

Jedi Prince wasn't a bed time story. It happened. And we all have to deal with it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Metal Loaf posted:

Master Soon Bayts has nothing on Bollux. Even Yarael Poof can't match him as far as unfortunate names go.

They're almost as bad as Kit Fisto.

I too had the Essential guide to the characters before the prequels came out. It's kind of quaint now really, what with the OCD of the Wookiepedia editors, and the literal thousands of essays and including stuff like Star Wars crappers, and explaining to people what a sci-fi window is, or the purpose of :nws:tits (really Wookiepdia? Really?).

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 5, 2012

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Saint Guinness posted:

Speak for yourself!

Awesome! Thank you very much for this gem. It just wouldn't be a Geeky Star Wars Loser Thread without it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There is at least one Wookieepedia page that isn't too stuffy. It's copied from the Transformers Wiki but it's something.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Jedi Prince wasn't a bed time story. It happened. And we all have to deal with it.

Thanks to Jedi Prince I can refer to Admiral Ackbar as having a enviromentalist phase.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Star Wars Facebook page posted the following very small excerpt from Scoundrels, by Timothy Zahn. And it's hilarious. Zahn posted on his page that this is not another April Fool's joke.

Scoundrels posted:

One shot was all Falsta got. An instant later his blaster was pointed harmlessly at the ceiling, frozen in place by Chewbacca’s iron grip around both the weapon and the hand holding it.

That should have been the end of it. Falsta should have conceded defeat, surrendered his blaster, and walked out of the cantina, a little humiliated but still alive.

But Falsta had never been the type to concede anything. Even as he blinked furiously at the ale still running down into his eyes, his left hand jabbed like a knife inside his jacket and emerged with a small hold-out blaster.

He was in the process of lining up the weapon when Han shot him under the table. Falsta fell forward, his right arm still raised in Chewbacca’s grip, his hold-out blaster clattering across the tabletop before it came to a halt. Chewbacca held that pose another moment, then lowered Falsta’s arm to the table, deftly removing the blaster from the dead man’s hand as he did so.

For a half dozen seconds Han didn’t move, gripping his blaster under the table, his eyes darting around the cantina. The place had gone quiet, with practically every eye now focused on him. As far as he could tell no one had drawn a weapon, but most of the patrons at the nearest tables had their hands on or near their holsters.

Chewbacca rumbled a warning. “You all saw it,” Han called, though he doubted more than a few of them actually had. “He shot first.”

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

thrawn527 posted:

The Star Wars Facebook page posted the following very small excerpt from Scoundrels, by Timothy Zahn. And it's hilarious. Zahn posted on his page that this is not another April Fool's joke.

:golfclap:

Nice "gently caress you" to Lucas.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Wookiepedia spergs think this. Jedi Prince is pretty easy to ignore, there are few references elsewhere in the EU, so it's pretty effectively been swept under the carpet.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
This is still here?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

If any of you haven't liked Timothy Zahn's Facebook page, you should. It's the gift that keeps on giving. These are the covers he posted as an April Fool's joke.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

TheBigBad posted:

This is still here?

In the sense that it hasn't been punted to yet another subforum, yes.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Anyone see that Battlefront 3 alpha footage?

It looked pretty boss. Why can't we get good Star Wars games again?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Because Lucasarts gutted their core design team after X-Wing Alliance (or XvT, I can't remember). Now Lucasarts is just a license printing machine for more Lego Star Wars games.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I enjoy the lego star wars games to be honest. But I would kill for a new space sim or battlefront game.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The first game I had was Dark Forces II, the one which had Jerec as the main villain. As I recall I was never very good at it; I couldn't even get past the first level.

The unbelievable silliness of the cut-scenes for that game was brilliant, though.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Metal Loaf posted:

The first game I had was Dark Forces II, the one which had Jerec as the main villain. As I recall I was never very good at it; I couldn't even get past the first level.

The unbelievable silliness of the cut-scenes for that game was brilliant, though.

I miss 90's era gaming cutscenes so goddamn much. They did a great job recapturing that with CnC3's cutscenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqd5rt1Z_WM

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 6, 2012

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I tried to play it recently. I only got as far as the opening crawl and the introductory cut-scene; either the game's gone wonky in the ten years since I got it or it doesn't work on operating systems newer than Windows 98.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

You can pick it up cheap as chips from STEAM at least.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Did Apocalypse just totally rip off Mass Effect with the Powerful beings periodically wipe the galaxy clean every few thousand years so new life can develop, or is that just a common sci-fi theme and Denning just got super lazy and used it instead of coming up with something original?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Esroc posted:

Did Apocalypse just totally rip off Mass Effect with the Powerful beings periodically wipe the galaxy clean every few thousand years so new life can develop, or is that just a common sci-fi theme and Denning just got super lazy and used it instead of coming up with something original?

Is that really what was stated in Apocalypse? That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense given that the history of spacefaring civilizations in the SW EU goes back hundreds of thousands of years, so it would have to be a pretty drat long cycle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Esroc posted:

That is a super common sci-fi trope that existed long before Mass Effect.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

Is that really what was stated in Apocalypse? That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense given that the history of spacefaring civilizations in the SW EU goes back hundreds of thousands of years, so it would have to be a pretty drat long cycle.

I don't know about the thousand years thing, but the whole wipe the galaxy clean thing is pretty explicitly stated, yeah.

Ironically, with that, the SciFi setting of Star Wars as a whole is taking the Stephen King approach to wrapping up a story-- everything inexplicible was done by God/a turtle/Satan/evil butt aliens.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I may be completely alone in this, but I would like to see a novel go into the science behind the Force. I was one of the very few who was excited about midichlorians in the prequels because it removed the mystical, religious aspect of the force and connected it to a more scientific view of that Universe. I enjoy Star Wars partly because I feel it is possible that the canon behind the Force can be explained in-universe as something more profound than "magic." Though I do understand that the fantasy element of Star Wars is partly what people enjoy about it, I personally would find enjoyment in having that fantasy explained.

Does anyone else agree that it might be exciting to read about how force users are really just manipulating the laws of physics?

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Esroc posted:

I may be completely alone in this, but I would like to see a novel go into the science behind the Force. I was one of the very few who was excited about midichlorians in the prequels because it removed the mystical, religious aspect of the force and connected it to a more scientific view of that Universe. I enjoy Star Wars partly because I feel it is possible that the canon behind the Force can be explained in-universe as something more profound than "magic." Though I do understand that the fantasy element of Star Wars is partly what people enjoy about it, I personally would find enjoyment in having that fantasy explained.

Does anyone else agree that it might be exciting to read about how force users are really just manipulating the laws of physics?

Any such thing would just be a more complicated version of fantasy bullshit, because jedi and force powers aren't real. The laws of physics do not actually let you lift X-wings with your mind. Also lasers don't pew pew in the vacuum of space.

So no, I want my space wizards to not pretend they're something more real than space wizards. And lasers should pew pew.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Esroc posted:

You are the first person I've ever met who liked midicholrians. Of course, I've never met George Lucas. He probably likes them.

But other than him, yeah, I'm pretty sure you're alone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Esroc posted:

No. Not even a little. The Force's most interesting aspects are not the ability to shoot force waves from your hands or lift poo poo. That's... kind of the entire point of Yoda. That the guy who is most powerful in the Force isn't the guy who can lift a Star Destroyer with his mind, it is the guy who is close to spiritual enlightenment.

Take away the spiritual enlightenment part and you really do just get Magic Space Wizards, even if they're using ~physics~ instead.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

No. Not even a little. The Force's most interesting aspects are not the ability to shoot force waves from your hands or lift poo poo. That's... kind of the entire point of Yoda. That the guy who is most powerful in the Force isn't the guy who can lift a Star Destroyer with his mind, it is the guy who is close to spiritual enlightenment.

That's why the scene where Yoda lifts Luke's X-Wing out of the swamp is so effective, I think.

I guess it's another problem the EU has had for a long while. There seems to have been a bit of a propensity for portraying the Force as a source of superpowers, which can be measured like a power level from Dragon Ball Z or something.

There's a book that comes to mind; did anybody ever read the Jedi Apprentice series when they were younger? It had a villain whose whole gimmick was experimenting on Jedi to try and break down the Force into measurable scientific components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

I guess it's another problem the EU has had for a long while. There seems to have been a bit of a propensity for portraying the Force as a source of superpowers, which can be measured like a power level from Dragon Ball Z or something.

I have my problems with Zahn and think he is a bit overrated, but god damned if he wasn't the only writer to go "Hey guys, maybe giving Luke a new superpower every other book isn't really meshing with how the Force was portrayed. Let's give him an excuse to cut back and become more spiritual."

And then that was promptly ignored so they could use force-guided torpedoes, shoot green lightning and travel through time.