Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I don't think they say the title in The Whip Hand, Empty Vessels, Lapochka, Vedamalady (they say malady of veda). That's nit-picky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
It's really tough for me to gauge this album. I like it, but it doesn't make me miss the noodly-TMV any less.

On another note, I never thought I'd see this, it still stuns me.

quote:

2012 @atthedrivein rehearsal - first show tonight in Austin.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mutation posted:

The only album I hear people say "is their only good one" is Deloused.

But yeah, it's annoying as hell. It's also a amateurish prog record (a ten minute water dripping sequence is deep, man) and their song writing has only improved since.

You have to realize that the majority of people who say that are ATDI fans who don't really care for prog rock. I kind of just stopped following TMV when I realize they were going to make more "real" prog instead of whatever you want to call De-Loused, but a lot of others who still fall into that group didn't, or are still very vocal about only liking De-Loused.

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

I like TMV more than ATDI. I like beauty and melody in my songs. I like both.

I keep coming back to the drums; I'm not a fan of the skittering drums in In Absentia. Also not a fan of the wailing and awkward words of Trinkets Pale of Moon. I only look forward to that song because Velamalady is next.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A friend of mine posted a picture of the setlist from the ATDI show:

Arcarsenal
Pattern Against User
Chanbara
Lopsided
Sleepwalk Capsules
Napoleon Solo
Quarantined
Rascuache
198d
Enfilade
Metronome Arthritis
Pickpocket

Encore:
Non-Zero Possibility
One-Armed Scissor
Catacombs

This is like every song I could possibly want them to play live. I want to see them so badly :stare::fh:

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Initiation is like the only song I could wish for more.

I'm going tomorrow, I'm so loving excited.

the Daddy
Apr 15, 2005
well, yeah
I read somewhere that they never played non zero possibility live before. Does anyone know if this is true? This song may be my all time favorite atdi song.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

NeuroticErotica posted:

Initiation is like the only song I could wish for more.

I'm going tomorrow, I'm so loving excited.

Do you hear that? It's me being insanely jealous. Congrats on grabbing a ticket.

I'm surprised Initiation is not on there, considering how well it translates to being live.

quote:

Cedric Bixler Zavala ‏ @cedricbixler_
Sorry if I wasn't as active tonight. First one in 11 years. But thank u for the love Austin : ) #shakingthecobwebsoff

What a kick-rear end poster from last night. - http://twitpic.com/97z5x9
Set list. - http://distilleryimage11.instagram.com/d2cbf8be82c111e181bd12313817987b_7.jpg
Cedric being Cedric. - http://distilleryimage4.instagram.com/683dd63a82c511e18cf91231380fd29b_7.jpg

The first video posted from the concert, from outside the venue. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3KiX_5sOOA
One Armed Scissor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3ePE8YSY80
One Armed Scissor pt 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u0qoZ4PUNE
Quarantined - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xff_fO4aInQ
Enfilade - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l22SmUdbJVk

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Sounds like Cedric reined in his voice a bit for this one; perhaps because he's no longer 25.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

The SARS Volta posted:

Sounds like Cedric reined in his voice a bit for this one; perhaps because he's no longer 25.

Yeah definitely, although I think he can sing a lot more precisely as a result. He's a lot more on-pitch than he usually was during their first run. Performing with TMV definitely helped that too I'm sure.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

The youtube comments are saying that Cedric lost his mother last week so maybe that accounts for the subdued performance.

edit; oops, yeah, I meant Omar.

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 10, 2012

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

I found some neat HD footage of the show from last night, but the audio is really crappy.

One-Armed Scissor: http://youtu.be/Vii1UduMPZY

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Happy Hippo posted:

The youtube comments are saying that Cedric lost his mother last week so maybe that accounts for the subdued performance.

You mean Omar, and yeah. I kinda gathered Omar would be subdued for this based on the awkward TMV-era Omar, but him losing his mother must have been really rough on him. :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't care much for how Cedric sounds during the chorus of Enfilade. Sounds a little too effeminate compared to the raw energy of how he sounds on the album version. I've noticed he sings like this sometimes in recent TMV videos, too. It's pretty lame.

He sounded good during One-Armed Scissor, though.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Webbeh posted:

Do you hear that? It's me being insanely jealous. Congrats on grabbing a ticket.

I'm surprised Initiation is not on there, considering how well it translates to being live.

That version is why I wanted it.

Honestly, the show was pretty much everything I could ask for after 11 years. The sheer emotion of hearing "WE'RE AT THE DRIVE-IN, AND WE'RE FROM EL PASO, TEXAS" gave me everything I could want from listening to every bootleg that I could manage to get over the years.

I could only ask for Cosmonaut and Initiation... otherwise... gently caress... I thought I'd never hear those songs live... It's a surreal experience to say the least. I'm supposed to be back home now, but it was all worth it.

Set list was identical to Austin... but there's no real break. They just went into the "encore" songs instead of doing the standard walk-off tease.

Snagged a poster - it's a person in front of a burning house. I'm sure I can flip it for a lot... but I never will let go of it.

Omar was just in the corner playing... I figured it's because he's just so no interested in playing old stuff (Him being bored with noctorniquet) but losing his mother does explain things.

Overall, it was amazing.

Edit: The transition from Lopsided to Sleepwalk Capsules is so good. Makes sense if you listen to the two songs.

NeuroticErotica fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 11, 2012

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
At The Drive-In - Rascuache @ Red 7, Austin TX 4/9/2012
At the Drive-In - Arcarsenal - Austin Texas 4.9.2012

And some reunion photos.

Neurotic, any chance you can find a photo of the poster?

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Webbeh posted:

Neurotic, any chance you can find a photo of the poster?

http://omgposters.com/2012/04/11/kevin-tongs-poster-for-last-nights-at-the-drive-in-show-in-dallas/

Right here. It's gorgeous in person.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Holy poo poo, that clip of them playing Arcarsenal. :stare:

There's really no other way to open their first show in 11 years. loving amazing.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
youtube.com/coachella

ATDi set is streaming live. Supposed to go on at 9:10 p.m. PT (so like 29 minutes from now)

E: Maybe not; apparently the streams are down across the board. This station is non-operat--- :suicide:

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 16, 2012

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The SARS Volta posted:

youtube.com/coachella

ATDi set is streaming live. Supposed to go on at 9:10 p.m. PT (so like 29 minutes from now)

E: Maybe not; apparently the streams are down across the board. This station is non-operat--- :suicide:

I'm watching them kill it right now.

RudeBoy
Dec 7, 2001

This is loving awesome. I didn't get into ATDI until 2003-ish. It's great seeing these guys play together again. Such a tight rhythm section.

Cheer up Omar! :(

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Cedric's voice didn't age well but everything else did. :stare:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Declan MacManus posted:

Cedric's voice didn't age well but everything else did. :stare:

Yeah I watched a bunch of videos from their first reunion show (at Red7) the other day, and he sounds really loving goofy. Like a parody of himself.

Everything else sounded pretty tight, though. But Omar looked sad as hell just standing away from everyone else not doing anything :smith: I watched some live videos of theirs from like 2000 right after that, and he's all over the place.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Well his mom did just die. Also he doesn't do crack anymore.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ethan posted:

Well his mom did just die. Also he doesn't do crack anymore.

I knew about his mom, but crack? I knew he used to do drugs, but I wasn't aware that it was crack. If that's true, goddamn.

Still, you don't have to be on crack to move around at shows. At the first reunion show, he looked like he was in the same position for the entire show.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I thought Omar's mom just died, not Cedric's.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

WASDF posted:

I thought Omar's mom just died, not Cedric's.

Isn't that what they are saying, though? Omar's been a statue at every show so far, and Omar/Cedric's drug use is what split up ATDI in the first place.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Oh, poor reading on my part.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Has anybody on YT put up the full set?

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah I watched a bunch of videos from their first reunion show (at Red7) the other day, and he sounds really loving goofy. Like a parody of himself.

He does sound pretty weird on some songs but I think if he tried to scream\sing these the way he used to it would sound even goofier. Jim Ward has really been killing the backup parts though I think.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Cedric used to really lay into the screams and shouts with ATDI but with the Mars Volta he actually sings. Seeing as how TMV is his main gig these days I doubt that he'd risk shredding his voice for this reunion. He's probably laying off the screams on purpose.

Rolodex Propaganda
Oct 4, 2003

Fall in love with spines
Cedric and Jim have been killing those songs. I like how Cedric has adapted his more developed TMV vocal style to the ATDI material.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Happy Hippo posted:

Cedric used to really lay into the screams and shouts with ATDI but with the Mars Volta he actually sings. Seeing as how TMV is his main gig these days I doubt that he'd risk shredding his voice for this reunion. He's probably laying off the screams on purpose.

That's what I've been thinking too, but that coupled with Omar being fixed in one place made it seem like their energy's not all the way in it.

Omar has an excuse, but...I don't know. Though I'm probably being too hasty with this. Everyone else in the band was totally on point and I'm only basing this off of YouTube videos of like 5 or 6 songs that weren't of the best quality.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The poor guy just lost his mother and is probably thinking about how his mother would be happier with him composing Spanish epics of infinite chaos, order, love, and death rather than retreading his posthardcore past.

travislopes
Jun 4, 2011
For those that didn't catch the show last night, I uploaded the full set in HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ukI_WBtDg&feature=youtu.be

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

travislopes posted:

For those that didn't catch the show last night, I uploaded the full set in HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ukI_WBtDg&feature=youtu.be

God, I wish Cedric would just loving let loose with his voice on these songs. I don't want him to reserve it for TMV at all. Everything else is there for this to be totally awesome, but this one thing seems to be holding it back from being a truly great reunion in my eyes.

It sounds like it fits at some points, like during parts of Lopsided, but most of the time it just sounds completely out of place and disappointing.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

to be honest i don't understand why you would plan a reunion right before an album release. why bother reuniting if you are just going to hold back in order to keep your voice for the band that's making you money? wait a year, give your fans a great show. with that said though, even recent tragedy and poor timing aside i thought they did a pretty good job.

and no invalid litter dept? come onnnnn.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

travislopes posted:

Ward's little smirk at 1:50 is so goddamned :3:

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It sounds like it fits at some points, like during parts of Lopsided, but most of the time it just sounds completely out of place and disappointing.

Ok I couldn't really tell in those initial bootlegs but you're right in these HD Coachella videos he really does sound goofy as hell. Pretty much any part that he screamed on the album version sounds really weird, but parts where he was singing on the album (like the beginning of lopsided) sound really good. And I think by Omar being all subdued he's able to play his parts a lot better too, I remember in the '00-'01 era sometimes you couldn't even discern any notes coming from his guitar cause he was dancing\climbing on top of amps so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Friend of mine posted this on Facebook earlier, and I thought it was pretty accurate :v:

It's from this cracked.com article about TMV: http://www.cracked.com/funny-3015-the-mars-volta/

Some other accurate quotes from that article:

quote:

Just The Facts
1. Mars Volta songs tend to be somewhere between three hours and eight weeks in length.

quote:

Cedric Bixler-Zavala

Job: Creating lyrics/gibberish, wailing.

To his credit, Zavala sounds kind of like Robert Plant. However, while Plant sang mostly about babes he was gonna leave and occasionly made some songs about Lord of the Rings-related stuff, all of Zavala's songs are based on the things that a crazy homeless man sees after he looses his tinfoil hat.

• Locked thread