Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
If there is any justice one day Scott Conant will compete on Chopped All Stars and the basket ingredients will all be different varieties of red onion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Moose Bigelow posted:

If there is any justice one day Scott Conant will compete on Chopped All Stars and the basket ingredients will all be different varieties of red onion.

But he wouldn't be eating any of the dishes.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I hate to stick up for the guy, since he's so totally whiny and unhelpful about it, but isn't it a thing in classical cooking that cut raw onions should always be prepared by at minimum washing in water (if not salt or vinegar) before being served? I thought that was a thing because freshly cut onion has a particular chemical odor that's traditionally considered inappropriate to serve unless you wash it off after cutting. It seems like he's trying to allude to that (possibly outdated or individual) standard but doing it in the most unhelpful and obstinate manner possible, expecting everyone else to know and obey this as some universal law of cooking, which makes him look like a dick.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 9, 2012

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Cream_Filling posted:

I hate to stick up for the guy, since he's so totally whiny and unhelpful about it, but isn't it a thing in classical cooking that cut raw onions should always be prepared by at minimum washing in water (if not salt or vinegar) before being served? I thought that was a thing because freshly cut onion has a particular chemical odor that's traditionally considered inappropriate to serve unless you wash it off after cutting. It seems like he's trying to allude to that (possibly outdated or individual) standard but doing it in the most unhelpful and obstinate manner possible, expecting everyone else to know and obey this as some universal law of cooking, which makes him look like a dick.

I am sure if there were some Escoffier principle he would cite it as he seems that insecure but he only offers his personal dislike of raw red onions without commenting on how they do not seem incorporated in the dish or anything to that effect.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I don't like raw onions either, and wouldn't eat them if they were served up to me. v:shobon:v

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

I don't like raw onions either, and wouldn't eat them if they were served up to me. v:shobon:v

But would you then act like the Chef made a a horrible mistake because it is a fact that raw onions are terrible and because you dislike them no one could ever possibly like them making the act of even thinking of serving them is a culinary faux pas?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I eat raw red onion all the time and I love it. I also put ketchup on hot dogs, though, so don't judge me.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

criscodisco posted:

I eat raw red onion all the time and I love it. I also put ketchup on hot dogs, though, so don't judge me.

I'm a fan of raw white or sweet onion on hot dogs. Not so much ketchup.

I'm not usually in favor of food snobbery, but I do think that looking down on ketchup is acceptable because, let's be honest here, we all like ketchup but it really is sort of for children. I also like candy, but eating candy all the time should also be considered childish behavior or at least having childish tastes. Which is also just fine, but I guess I just feel it should be something you're not totally proud of and something you should as an adult be trying to go beyond. I guess maybe it's just too calculatingly good at swamping your taste buds with sweet/sour/salty/savory/bitter while remaining relatively simple and inoffensive in actual aroma or flavor outside of that fairly crude borderline over-stimulation and a few tomato solid aromatics.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Ketchup is for children.

And I am a child who likes ketchup, mustard, and relish on a hot dog.

I will NOT call it "red mustard," either. :mad:

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
^^You and I make dogs totally alike.

I totally understand the ketchup hate. Honestly, I haven't eaten sweets in years (I just don't like 'em), and only ever put ketchup on burgers and dogs.

My ex used to put ketchup on shrimp and steak, and I was constantly embarrassed going out to eat with him.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I mean if it's a crappy hotdog then I'll go wild with the ketchup, as i will with anything else that's kind of crappy and flavorless (though personally I favor hot sauce/mayo-based sauces now for moistening my bad diner food), but nowadays if I'm eating a hotdog it's usually a nice one from a local company/butcher I like, and it seems like kind of a waste since they actually have flavor of their own. My taste for sweet foods has definitely lessened now, though, because I've adopted the mindset that usually overtly sweet non-desserts are trying to trick you with sugar instead of actual flavor, even though I (like most humans, really) love sugar and sweet stuff in basically anything and everything.

Ketchup on steak is a real social faux pas, though. The only thing worse for me is putting ketchup on plain spaghetti and then eating it. Or like just on plain white rice. It makes me think of gorillas at a zoo at that point. Sorry guys who do this but it's kind of gross and culturally pretty weird to me as an American.

Similarly, I like cocktail sauce, which is basically seasoned ketchup and horseradish, but I've tried to restrict its use to bad shrimp or bad fried shrimp and not like fancy nice shrimp since it also tends to be a bit of a flavor destroyer unless you're careful. Although, yeah, a lot of the flavor or flavor experience of food is really the texture and not just what it smells like or activates on your tongue, so I guess ketchup doesn't affect that part.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

Frot Lesnar posted:

Here is the list for the next season of Chopped All-Stars.
Round One:
Michael Symon: Autism Speaks
Jose Garces: St. Christopher's Foundation for Children
Cat Cora: Chefs for Humanity
Marc Forgione: Feeding America

Round Two:
Jeffrey Saad: Alexandria House
Keegan Gerhard: Make-A-Wish Foundation
Marcela Valladolid: Fundación Internacional de la Comunidad, A. C.
Aarti Sequeira: Harvest Home

Round Three:
Chris Nirschel: The Initiative to Educate Afghan Women
Justin Balmes: SafePath Children's Advocacy Center
Penny Davidi: PATH Gramercy (People Assisting the Homeless)
Vic "Vegas" Moea: St. Jude's Ranch for Children

Round Four:
Alex Guarnaschelli: St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
Marc Murphy: City Harvest
Chris Santos: Rett Syndrome Research Trust
Marcus Samuelsson: C-CAP Careers Through Culinary Arts Program

Also if you use twitter please follow FoodNetwerk as Alton Brown is being insufferable again and getting mad at a parody account that is actually funny.

This is bullshit. Half of these people are just cast members from Next Food Network Star. No one gives a poo poo about seeing them cook.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Watching Alton Brown implode on Twitter is always so, so loving funny.

edit: I should make it clear that he has not imploded today, it was just a comment on the post quoted above, sorry. :)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

This is bullshit. Half of these people are just cast members from Next Food Network Star. No one gives a poo poo about seeing them cook.

I was thinking the same thing. With the exception of Frankenstein from FN Challenge, group 2 and 3 are mostly nobodies. They should have gotten Sweet Genius in there!

I cannot WAIT to see Chris Santos on this show. He better be goddamned PERFECT for how much he bitches out contestants on everything. It sucks that Scott wasn't right there with him. I hate that they brought Alex back, but not Ann. I guess they might have filmed it while other stuff was filming. I would also like to see Alton do this show, but I don't think he would bother putting himself under that kind of pressure.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

ToastyPotato posted:

I cannot WAIT to see Chris Santos on this show. He better be goddamned PERFECT for how much he bitches out contestants on everything. It sucks that Scott wasn't right there with him. I hate that they brought Alex back, but not Ann. I guess they might have filmed it while other stuff was filming. I would also like to see Alton do this show, but I don't think he would bother putting himself under that kind of pressure.

Alex Guarnachelli didn't compete in the last Chopped All-Stars, unless I've blocked it out of my memory. This time around seems completely pointless since the first episode was all Iron Chefs and I already figured that Symon was going to dominate the whole competition from the beginning. I don't see any chance of him losing against any of the other contestants and he doesn't seem like the type that would make some stupid Chopped mistake like forgetting a basket ingredient or not putting food on the plate.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Alex Guarnachelli didn't compete in the last Chopped All-Stars, unless I've blocked it out of my memory. This time around seems completely pointless since the first episode was all Iron Chefs and I already figured that Symon was going to dominate the whole competition from the beginning. I don't see any chance of him losing against any of the other contestants and he doesn't seem like the type that would make some stupid Chopped mistake like forgetting a basket ingredient or not putting food on the plate.
The last one with Chopped judges was Maneet, Noted Latin Cuisine authority Aaron Sanchez, Amanda and Geoffrey.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hold on, stop the soul train.

Who the gently caress doesn't put ketchup on a hot dog?? When did I miss the "ketchup is no longer cool to like" memo?

Cream_Filling posted:

Ketchup on steak is a real social faux pas, though. The only thing worse for me is putting ketchup on plain spaghetti and then eating it. Or like just on plain white rice. It makes me think of gorillas at a zoo at that point. Sorry guys who do this but it's kind of gross and culturally pretty weird to me as an American.

I mean, putting ketchup on steak, spaghetti, or rice is pretty what-the-gently caress too, but I've never met anyone who's ever even thought of doing any of those things.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 10, 2012

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

raditts posted:

Hold on, stop the soul train.

Who the gently caress doesn't put ketchup on a hot dog?? When did I miss the "ketchup is no longer cool to like" memo?
Yeah, I was wondering the exact same thing. Do people really not put ketchup on hotdogs?

Or rather, do people really act like it's an odd or even "wrong" thing to put Ketchup on a hotdog? My perception of what is right and wrong feels like it's shattering around me.

Indentured Servant
Aug 31, 2008
Ketchup hate seems to be an American thing. Maybe because your ketchup is sweet as poo poo and just gross in general. The actual combo of ketchup + meat isn't that weird, though. If mushroom ketchup is good enough for Heston Blumenthal's steak, it's good enough for you :colbert:.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I always thought it was normal, but I could swear that I've seen a million people in GWS act like putting ketchup on a hot dog is a real crime.

Plus, a few months ago I was stoned and watching one of those shows where they pick a topic like burgers or chicken wings, and then show places in different cities that are famous for that ingredient. And one of those was a hot dog place, that even had signs on the counter that ordering ketchup on your dog was simply not allowed.

Like that new Domino's thing where you're not allowed to add or subtract any ingredients from their specialty pizzas because they're so well thought out.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It's not that putting ketchup on hot dogs is evil, it's just that mustard and sauerkraut is so much better. The best things for ketchup are meatloaf and fried rice.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

People claim that it messes with the true flavor of a hotdog (baffling as these people will drench it in mustard & etc) but it's kind of a kiddie thing, I admit that.

But I'm still going to put ketchup on hamburgers, french fries, and hot dogs.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
No ketchup on hot dogs is also very much a Chicago thing, which is probably where criscodisco's sign was. It's not part of the traditional Chicago dog toppings, and we're pretty serious about our hot dogs.

That said, it's not like there aren't Chicagoans who put ketchup on their dogs. It's just likely where a lot of the hate comes from.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
That's probably accurate, because I grew up in northern Indiana, so Chicago was always the place to go to for fun, since it was a couple of hours away. It was that or Fort Wayne, so Chicago usually won out.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
Yea, I don't get the no ketchup on a hot dog thing either. For me, its the least offensive thing to put on a hot dog. I don't like Chicago dogs because I don't see the point in putting 50 very strong vinegar flavors on top of a hot dog.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Dr. Platypus posted:

No ketchup on hot dogs is also very much a Chicago thing, which is probably where criscodisco's sign was. It's not part of the traditional Chicago dog toppings, and we're pretty serious about our hot dogs.

That said, it's not like there aren't Chicagoans who put ketchup on their dogs. It's just likely where a lot of the hate comes from.
Pretty baffling, especially because the best hot dogs are from New York and we eat them with ketchup and mustard and other poo poo.
(:smug:)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

GonSmithe posted:

Pretty baffling, especially because the best hot dogs are from New York and we eat them with ketchup and mustard and other poo poo.
(:smug:)

No, New Yorkers eat them with mustard and that orange onion stuff and maybe sauerkraut. Some places won't even give you ketchup or they'll only give you little packets.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
No, they use ketchup, they just won't tell you because all New Yorkers are dick holes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

NY is a split thing. Ketchup, mustard, relish, onions, kraut. If someone tells you there's a single standard way everyone eats them that person is lying. He's just someone who curses off friends for using ketchup or mustard.

My limited experience with Chicago had them all being super smug as well about it, especially when comparing Chicago Pizza and Hot Dogs vs NY. I like variety and I like to try different stuff but, man, I've taken some crap from fellow NYers over my choice of toppings but the smug superiority I got in Chicago when I dared to say I liked their stuff but still preferred NY? Was that an isolated thing and I was just finding the assholes or are Chicago as bad as everyone says NY is (and many are)?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Indentured Servant posted:

Ketchup hate seems to be an American thing. Maybe because your ketchup is sweet as poo poo and just gross in general. The actual combo of ketchup + meat isn't that weird, though. If mushroom ketchup is good enough for Heston Blumenthal's steak, it's good enough for you :colbert:.

One of the weird American idiosyncrasies is that we never use anything but tomato ketchup. I honestly have no idea why walnut/mushroom ketchups fell so out of favor. Might have something to do with the Great Depression.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Ketchup is very much an american thing. I still remember sharing similar what the gently caress looks the first time I ate a hot dog while visiting family in Italy. Me with my ketchup, they with their mayo. I was so young and naive back then.

And then we discovered that mixing both was where it's at and lived happily ever after. 420 Fry Sauce erryday, etc.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Robviously posted:

Ketchup is very much an american thing. I still remember sharing similar what the gently caress looks the first time I ate a hot dog while visiting family in Italy. Me with my ketchup, they with their mayo. I was so young and naive back then.

And then we discovered that mixing both was where it's at and lived happily ever after. 420 Fry Sauce erryday, etc.

Actually by origins, ketchup is Chinese. It wasn't until it eventually got to Great Britain/US that they started making tomato ketchup though.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Toffile posted:

Actually by origins, ketchup is Chinese. It wasn't until it eventually got to Great Britain/US that they started making tomato ketchup though.

ARguably, it's Roman actually. It was originally Garrum, and things were added to it, and subtracted from it until it evolved into what we now have.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I guess I have some learning to do. I just assumed that ketchup was watered down pureed tomato, which somehow didn't end up tasting like tomato at all.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

criscodisco posted:

I guess I have some learning to do. I just assumed that ketchup was watered down pureed tomato, which somehow didn't end up tasting like tomato at all.

Tomato puree with vinegar, sugar, and some spices mixed in.

bunnyofdoom posted:

ARguably, it's Roman actually. It was originally Garrum, and things were added to it, and subtracted from it until it evolved into what we now have.

I was really going by word etymology. Ketchup is an Anglicized version of the Chinese name.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Toffile posted:

Tomato puree with vinegar, sugar, and some spices mixed in.

I was really going by word etymology. Ketchup is an Anglicized version of the Chinese name.

Ah. Then yes, Ketchup is indeed from China then. Sorry,

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I was always under the impression Garum was more like soy sauce or fish sauce.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Robviously posted:

I was always under the impression Garum was more like soy sauce or fish sauce.

It was basically fermented fish guts. But, as I said, things were added, and things were removed over teh millenium and it mutated into the ketchup we know, love, and disdain today

Force McCocken
Dec 9, 2004
Rational political thought and discourse is dead. Personally, I blame you.

Cream_Filling posted:

No, New Yorkers eat them with mustard and that orange onion stuff and maybe sauerkraut. Some places won't even give you ketchup or they'll only give you little packets.

On my first trip to New York, I hit up a street vendor for a hot dog with mustard and onions, eagerly anticipating a good dog with crisp, fresh white onions, as God intended. What I got was a slimy, yellow onion-esque slurry. Yuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I buy handmade hotdogs from a local German butcher. I use Ketchup, relish and as much finely diced raw white onion as I can.

I've always hated mustard until I got older and realized that there are many other varieties besides "Yellow". Yellow Mustard, to me, is the Budwiser of beers. It's made for people who hate the taste of real beer.

• Locked thread