Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Xovaan posted:

Listening to music and dancing while riding is basically the most amazing thing ever.

Just don't listen to DFA1979 unless you like doubling the speed limit wherever you go. :ninja:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wnl9PpnTXI&ob=av2n

Yeah I don't DFA1979 on the bike.
I find it much safer to reggae and the like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rb13ksYO0s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h3ocCmOZ18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZea7P9MwcM

Some calypso is nice. But then I wind up wishing that my gas tank was a steel drum.
I beat on it anyway.

Also, being a rather skinny white guy, I'm sure it's absolutely hilarious for other people to watch me bob my helmet adorned head around like a dead chicken in a paint shaker, while rocking out to the sounds of Trinidad & Tobago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQdG4Q-t4SI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
I enjoy Meat Loaf any time I'm on the road.

You must avoid Bat Out of Hell, though, because no matter how good the song is, it is ultimately about dying after crashing a bike going wide on a curve.

But the lyrics are just...great

"I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram
On a silver-black phantom bike [choppy guitar motorcycle engine arpeggio]
Oh and the metal is hot!
And the engine is hungry
And we're all about to see the light
Nothing ever grows in this rotten old hole
And everything is stunted and lost
And nothing really rocks, and nothing really rolls
And nothing's ever worth the cost..."

So since I'm superstitious, when I run out of appropriate Meat Loaf, I tend to listen mostly to symphonic electronic stuff. Makes you feel like you're riding the crest of a wave.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 5, 2012

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had to take the Power Rangers theme song off my playlist :blush:

GimpFace
Nov 11, 2005

cuppa?
Another one - new tyres.

Just had new front and back on, rubbish for the first 20 miles or so (especially in the snow round here right now) but this afternoon at lunch time the sun came out and stayed out.

Just had one of the best rides home from work in my life.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah I don't DFA1979 on the bike.
I find it much safer to reggae and the like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rb13ksYO0s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h3ocCmOZ18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZea7P9MwcM

Some calypso is nice. But then I wind up wishing that my gas tank was a steel drum.
I beat on it anyway.

Also, being a rather skinny white guy, I'm sure it's absolutely hilarious for other people to watch me bob my helmet adorned head around like a dead chicken in a paint shaker, while rocking out to the sounds of Trinidad & Tobago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQdG4Q-t4SI

If you're into quasi-ethnic music, check out Budos Band. If you like them, I have tons more where that came from. :)

I can literally lanesplit for miles of traffic in urban sprawl to this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6-R75uGl8E

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Budos is some pretty fantastic sweepy backroad music.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

clutchpuck posted:

Budos is some pretty fantastic sweepy backroad music.

Sweepy road music is definitely Buckethead territory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCudXpXrIA8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCudXpXrIA8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzvTJ_D1JNI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzvTJ_D1JNI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbBzINY32So
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbBzINY32So

Budos Band rocks.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006
Tell you what I love,

What I absolutley love,

What I ADORE

When there's some douche in a convertable or supercar (there's quite a few where I live in london), overtaking slowly and when the end of my exhaust is about 2 feet in front of them, slipping the clutch in and BLASTING the throttle to about 14000 revs.

My comp werkes is redic loud.

Also works with an open window.

Love it.

Such a dick.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Some modded S2000 today tried racing me at a stoplight and was chirping tires in his first two or three gears as I casually accelerated next to him. He was about 50 feet in front of me before I realized what he was trying to do. :geno:

Basically I love riding normally and going faster than most cars can accelerate (although this guy was terrible at launches but still)

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Xovaan posted:

Some modded S2000 today tried racing me at a stoplight and was chirping tires in his first two or three gears as I casually accelerated next to him. He was about 50 feet in front of me before I realized what he was trying to do. :geno:

Someone riding so distracted that they didn't notice a modded S2k racing to redline for 2-3 gears right next to them should probably pay more attention to their surroundings.

Also, I race bikes all the time in my cars. Not that I have any delusions of winning or think I'm some badass, but because it's fun to see/hear a bike open it up. Depending on their skill and what car I'm in, sometimes it's even close. Then I laugh and give them a thumbs up

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I listen to music when I ride. I can't hear anything. All I noticed was smoke from his tires in my mirror and his exhaust finally when he passed me. That, and I was lane sharing with another bike so I thought it was him at first. :colbert:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Xovaan posted:

I listen to music when I ride. I can't hear anything. All I noticed was smoke from his tires in my mirror and his exhaust finally when he passed me. That, and I was lane sharing with another bike so I thought it was him at first. :colbert:

I know what you mean. I try to accelerate just a mite faster than the car next to me. Every once in a while, I notice I'm about to wind out 2nd gear. That's pretty fast on my bike. I'll still shift into 2nd at 4k, then just let it pull until I'm close to the speed limit. That's about 4k in 2nd, so if I'm close to redline, someone decided to race me.

I admit, I should pay more attention to speed limits and less attention to traffic, but this is one of the things I LOVE about motorycles.

I'm gonna pull the "1200" badges off soon to be a little more stealthy about how going to redline in 1st is nearly 75mph.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I had been driving all day, but I took the bike down to the store to get an ingredient for a cake. I had to stop myself from closing my eyes enjoying the feeling of the wind on my skin through my mesh jacket. It was the perfect feeling.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I just got the 1976 RD400 I picked up a couple weeks ago more or less road-ready. It goes without saying that I love the sounds and smells of engines, but I think two-stroke exhaust is the best thing I've ever smelled. And the noise is just glorious with the stock pipes. I can't imagine how great it would sound with a set of DG expansion chambers.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

number something-or-other: zipping down curvy roads to the Junction roadhouse, grabbing a beer, riding back, and having a delicious ribeye sandwich when I get back home.

Almost got murdered by a squirrel that kept running toward the left side of the road as I tried to avoid it; I finally got around the bastard when I was about 5 inches from the edge of the road.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Rule is, if you can eat it in a single sitting, don't swerve. You might think it's an odd measure, but it works on so many levels.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MotoMind posted:

Rule is, if you can eat it in a single sitting, don't swerve. You might think it's an odd measure, but it works on so many levels.

Nice rule of thumb. I've never hit any animal on a bike. Next time I'll just run the bastard down instead of almost going into the ditch.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Pham Nuwen posted:

Nice rule of thumb. I've never hit any animal on a bike. Next time I'll just run the bastard down instead of almost going into the ditch.

Squirrels just make a little thump, not much to em.

I also love that single sitting rule, and am stealing that for later use.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Stay hungry my friends.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Something I love: The fact that I'm not even from the pacific northwest, but have been riding every day in the cold and wet, seeing maybe one or two other bikes. But once the sun came out yesterday, they're everywhere.

Pussies.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

iwentdoodie posted:

Something I love: The fact that I'm not even from the pacific northwest, but have been riding every day in the cold and wet, seeing maybe one or two other bikes. But once the sun came out yesterday, they're everywhere.

Pussies.

Exactly this. My Hawk has been my only means of transport in Seattle as long as there's not ice on the ground. Kind of funny to see how many more bikes are on the road now after it's gotten just a little nicer.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Related thing I love: When you do ride in that less perfect weather, and come across another rider, there's a strong feeling of being part of a small, yet possibly crazy, set of enthusiasts for being out in those conditions.

Also, I like to imagine what the fair-weather riders driving past in their cars are thinking as I go by in the cold. Are there a few that are jealous, wishing they were out too?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I love riding in the rain. I split up to a motorcycle cop and pointed to the sky then gave a thumbs-down and he laughed.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

SimplyCosmic posted:

Related thing I love: When you do ride in that less perfect weather, and come across another rider, there's a strong feeling of being part of a small, yet possibly crazy, set of enthusiasts for being out in those conditions.

Also, I like to imagine what the fair-weather riders driving past in their cars are thinking as I go by in the cold. Are there a few that are jealous, wishing they were out too?

It is kind of a good feeling. Like "well, at least he understands."

Think I'm going to enjoy this nice weather myself, though, and head down to Hwy 14 later and see the Columbia river gorge.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Nur_Neerg posted:

Exactly this. My Hawk has been my only means of transport in Seattle as long as there's not ice on the ground. Kind of funny to see how many more bikes are on the road now after it's gotten just a little nicer.

The feeling of smug satisfaction of being a year-round PNW commuter almost makes it worth it, but mostly I do it because it's cheaper than the bus.

Here are 2 related things I love the poo poo out of about riding: 1) not paying $5/day round-trip for the bus, which takes twice as long as riding, and 2) not paying $10/day to park a car. I'm lucky, since there are a few unrestricted parking areas I can put my scooter near work. Like right outside the office door.

Also related: after being used to riding in the rain and babying the controls, realizing that it's dry and I can actually get some lean angle again.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

iwentdoodie posted:

Pussies.

Amen brotha! There's one or two guys that ride year round here and we all know each others bikes. It's pretty terrible to know that 90% of the guys I see out and about won't ride if it's below 70. Especially when someone ask if I want to ride with them and their bike hasn't even been fully broken in despite them having owned it for 6 years...:supaburn:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

The feeling of smug satisfaction of being a year-round PNW commuter almost makes it worth it, but mostly I do it because it's cheaper than the bus.

Here are 2 related things I love the poo poo out of about riding: 1) not paying $5/day round-trip for the bus, which takes twice as long as riding, and 2) not paying $10/day to park a car. I'm lucky, since there are a few unrestricted parking areas I can put my scooter near work. Like right outside the office door.

Also related: after being used to riding in the rain and babying the controls, realizing that it's dry and I can actually get some lean angle again.

That's just it, I'm not commuting on it. I ride for the fun of it, even when the weather is lovely. Or maybe to go to the store and gym. It's just fun to ride. I live in Guam, but I'm stuck in Portland/Vancouver for the next few months, so I figure I might as well enjoy riding while I'm here.

Had a guy on a V-Star 650 pull up next to me at a light earlier, and say how nice it was to go for his first ride of the year. I almost felt sad for him that he's missing out on how awesome it is EVERY day, not just the nice ones.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'll take riding in the rain over spring any day. Bumble bees feel like loving paintballs when they hit you at speed. :gonk:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Xovaan posted:

I'll take riding in the rain over spring any day. Bumble bees feel like loving paintballs when they hit you at speed. :gonk:

Better than at low speed, they get all uppity and start stabbing away.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Thanks guys, you're giving me horror flashbacks of a hornet flying up the sleeve of my leather on I-84. Low speed nothing, and it was PISSED.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

clutchpuck posted:

Thanks guys, you're giving me horror flashbacks of a hornet flying up the sleeve of my leather on I-84. Low speed nothing, and it was PISSED.

I speak from experience, but on a bicycle, and I was like 10. gently caress anything that stings. Oh, don't kill the nice honey-bee! No gently caress that it dies.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Bondematt posted:

I speak from experience, but on a bicycle, and I was like 10. gently caress anything that stings. Oh, don't kill the nice honey-bee! No gently caress that it dies.

Someone should change your name to Colony collapse disorder.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
A mixed bag, something I love & hate:

Today I went WOT in second in my GTI on an onramp for the first time since I got it. Three years ago if you gave me the keys to a ~200hp car I'd had have assumed it was a rocket ship and been worried about internal organ failure if I ever had the gall to floor it.

But today, I found myself disappointed by the mediocre acceleration and frustrated by the fact that I had to shift at a measly 5700 rpm.

Bikes are goddamn nuts.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Niven posted:

A mixed bag, something I love & hate:

Today I went WOT in second in my GTI on an onramp for the first time since I got it. Three years ago if you gave me the keys to a ~200hp car I'd had have assumed it was a rocket ship and been worried about internal organ failure if I ever had the gall to floor it.

But today, I found myself disappointed by the mediocre acceleration and frustrated by the fact that I had to shift at a measly 5700 rpm.

Bikes are goddamn nuts.

Don't I know it. I was getting on the highway today as someone got in the turn-off lane. I got on the throttle a little bit, then looked back and saw that they had changed their mind. I just gave it some throttle and wrung out 1st. I signaled and merged (still in 1st) at 65, after having accelerated from a stop in just over three car lengths.

Part of my brain said "what would you have done if they hadn't tried to let you over" to which another part replied "I guess maybe shift into second or something."

Thing I love: putting on all the gear. It's a relaxing way to say "you're done with work, now you get to ride your motorcycle!" The other guys on the job just grab their lunch and zoom as it takes me a couple of minutes to gear up. I'm pretty sure I'm already relaxed and gone from work by the time I'm back on the pavement; I know a couple of guys take their frustration out on the dirt and then the highway.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Thing I love: putting on all the gear. It's a relaxing way to say "you're done with work, now you get to ride your motorcycle!" The other guys on the job just grab their lunch and zoom as it takes me a couple of minutes to gear up. I'm pretty sure I'm already relaxed and gone from work by the time I'm back on the pavement; I know a couple of guys take their frustration out on the dirt and then the highway.

Yes, this. The guys I work with don't understand when I say it's alright if they head on home while I get my gear on. But it's so nice to drink a red bull and gear up at my own pace.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ghost Cactus posted:

Yes, this. The guys I work with don't understand when I say it's alright if they head on home while I get my gear on. But it's so nice to drink a red bull and gear up at my own pace.

It's even better when you then split past them at the first set of lights they've been waiting at for 5 minutes.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

It's even better when you then split past them at the first set of lights they've been waiting at for 5 minutes.

This is great. Depending on what time I leave there can be a mile or longer backup on the way out. I just hop on the shoulder and slowly cruise by everyone. Last time I did it my co-worker called me (bluetooth headset) and started complaining.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I do this and all my coworkers wave at me and smile. 90% of my workplace is middle aged women, apparently mature babes dig bikes.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Niven posted:

5700 is impound territory on the Uly. I put distance between me and traffic by shifting at 4k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Not me, but I just love this Mike DeStefano quote about his wife Fran:

Mike posted:

She's holding the pole [of the IV drip]! Marc, it was a pole with four wheels on the bottom, and we're riding around this hospice, and you could hear the goddamn wheels jangling and banging; it was insane.

And then I pass the front door, and all these nurses are standing out front, and they're all crying. They're watching us, and they're crying. And I didn't know why they were crying. I was like, Why are they crying? I didn't get what they were seeing. I didn't know. Because I was just in it; I was living it. I knew my wife who had suffered, she was a prostitute, she was a freakin' heroin addict, she was beaten by pimps -- this was her past -- and then she ends up with AIDS, and she's dying, and all she wants is a goddamn ride on my motorcycle.

So the next thing you know we're on I-95, because women, it's never enough for them. We're on I-95, and she unhooks the pole, and she's holding the morphine bag over her head with her gown that's flying up in the air so you could see her entire naked, bony body with the morphine bag whipping in the wind, and we're passing by these guys in their Lamborghinis, and I'm looking at them like, What the hell kind of life are you living? Look at me, I'm on top of the world here.

You gotta make the best of what you've got, while you've still got it.

• Locked thread