Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

pim01 posted:

That looks amazing! Since it's tenderloin, it would be the same as a spanish lomo? Please tell me you won't fry it up, like I saw someone do to a nice serrano the other day :ohdear:

God no, that is getting eaten as is. Thinly sliced of course. I think I'd punch someone if I saw them frying up something like lonzino or serrano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Happy Abobo posted:

Do some types of meat take brining better than others? I'm starting to worry my palate is blown out or something: I recently tried Ruhlman's corned beef recipe, but used a hunk of pork shoulder instead because I happened to have it on hand. It spent almost 5 days in the brine, then got boiled until tender. Despite soaking in the brine for that long, the meat ended up being pretty bland and I actually need to salt each serving for it to taste good, and the typical corned beef flavour is barely there; almost none of the aroma or flavour from the brining spices came through :(

I followed his guide mostly as well, although cut the salt since I had less water and ended up using far more pickling spice than listed. The beef wasn't salty in the slightest after boiling and mostly tasted of cloves and nothing else

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Scott Bakula posted:

I followed his guide mostly as well, although cut the salt since I had less water and ended up using far more pickling spice than listed. The beef wasn't salty in the slightest after boiling and mostly tasted of cloves and nothing else

Ahh, well that's good to know. I've always wondered how the meat would stay seasoned if it's boiled for 3 straight hours. I think next time, I'll just roast it at a low temp after the brine and see if the flavours come through more.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Forgot to post pics of bacon awesomeness!

Brined and packed up. Four recipes: Sweet (maple syrup), sweet 'n spicy, savoury, nitrite free.

10 days later and after being smoked

And sliced up into vac packs for the freezer (thank god for a friend with a meat slicer). I've got a lot of bacon now.

IMHO, A solid 7 out of 10 - awesome for a first attempt.

Total cost for a 12lb belly? About $50 in the end.

Edit: whoa, large images. Fixed.

Peachy Nietzsche
Jul 26, 2007

This thread's like staring into the void.
Quick question do you also adjust hanging times if you are using much less protein than a recipe calls for?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

morrisirrom posted:

Quick question do you also adjust hanging times if you are using much less protein than a recipe calls for?

Not sure if that was aimed at me/my bacon pics, but I'll answer.

Generally not.

The chemical/curing reaction starts from the outside and works it's way inwards to the middle, so if the thickness of the protein is the same from before (the full piece) and after (your smaller piece), it'll take the same amount of time to cure regardless.

The exception would be if you've got such a small piece that the distance to the middle of the protein is now smaller than expected, then the answer is "yes, reduce the hanging time" (by how much is something I can't answer).

My example is the 4 port belly sections I did for bacon were cut from a single belly. Curing time (and smoking/cooking time) was exactly the same as before.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Dammit, now I have to make more food. This is so awesome, and I have belly curing in the fridge now. Cannot wait to try it when it's done!

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Rangpur posted:

No, and... I don't think so? My best guess is that something about trying to keep it right at 200 degrees fucks up whatever regulating mechanism it uses to maintain the heat. Turning it up to 250 stabilized things, and it finished up fast after that, only a few degrees over 150.

Baffling oven voodoo aside, it was goddamned delicious. Was thinking of trying Ruhlman's corned beef next.

The oven/smoker has a bad thermometer- they pretty much all do. Get a second probe thermometer and stick the probe through a radish, cork, potato piece or something else and sit it as close to the meat as you can get. That will give you a much better read on the temperature and you'll be able to adjust accordingly.

There are a lot out there in the 20-30$ range, they all have about the same weaknesses. They go bad after a while, the probes short out, and they need to be checked for accuracy once a year or so.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

How much curing salt do you typically use? I realize it's going to vary depending on the size of the meat but some kind of rough estimate. Some of us are possibly going in together on curing salt (since it is incredibly hard to find in Korea) and the smallest container we've found is 4 kg.

I probably wouldn't be making any more than two pounds of something at a time, since I only have a toaster oven to work with. Bacon, that lonzino, duck pancetta, corned beef, and pastrami are all on my list of things to do.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The stuff I bought came with instructions of 25g per 1kg of meat. I've tended to use a little more than that though for no real reason other than being lazy when measuring it out

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Thanks, that gives me a good idea what to do.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Its 0.4-0.6% nitrite if that helps any more

the42ndtourist
Sep 6, 2004

A half-dead thing in the stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called gold
I made a small test piece of gravlax, and drat is it good.

~2:3 ratio salt to sugar for the cure, with some cracked coriander seeds.
put half the cure in your container
sprinkle some akvavit (I've got some Aalborg Jubilaeums which is flavoured with coriander and dill)
cover the fish with the rest of the cure, cover that with a big heap of fresh dill.
cover it all, put some weight on top to help squeeze the water out, then into the fridge for a day or three. (1.5 for me because it's a pretty small, thin filet).

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

I'm just finishing up the cure on some tocino (made with basically the GWS wiki recipe here: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Tocino) , is the deal with the salt/sugar/fat/juice slurry that's left over coating the cured meat the same as in the instructions for the bacon in the OP? That is, can I just rinse off the meat under some water to get all that stuff off before I grill it?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Carl Killer Miller posted:

I'm just finishing up the cure on some tocino (made with basically the GWS wiki recipe here: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Tocino) , is the deal with the salt/sugar/fat/juice slurry that's left over coating the cured meat the same as in the instructions for the bacon in the OP? That is, can I just rinse off the meat under some water to get all that stuff off before I grill it?

I think you are supposed to thin it with some water and grill it with that goop as the marinade. But I dont know for sure.

edit: Nevermind. Reading the wiki article yes just wash that poo poo off and dry the meat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Okay, I've tracked down curing salt but I have a concern. It's really, really humid here, all the time. There is no dry place in my apartment. What can I do if I want to hang something to cure, like a lonzino? Will it still work if it's humid? Is airflow necessary or could I stick it in a sealed box with a pile of rice to soak up the moisture?

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

Okay, I've tracked down curing salt but I have a concern. It's really, really humid here, all the time. There is no dry place in my apartment. What can I do if I want to hang something to cure, like a lonzino? Will it still work if it's humid? Is airflow necessary or could I stick it in a sealed box with a pile of rice to soak up the moisture?

I picked up a wine cooler with adjustable temperature. I put a dish full of salt in the bottom and took all of the racks out besides the top one. Works pretty drat good so far.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Grand Fromage posted:

You should pick up a hygrometer and get some numbers. Most people have the problem that their environment is too dry. You actually want to dry in a more humid environment than you might think, otherwise stuff dries out too much on the outside and traps in the rest of the moisture.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Ok, that gravlax picture got to me and I grabbed a hunk of salmon to try it. Since you don't actually cook the salmon, do I have to get salmon that's been pre-frozen, or will the curing process remove that necessity?

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

Happy Abobo posted:

Ok, that gravlax picture got to me and I grabbed a hunk of salmon to try it. Since you don't actually cook the salmon, do I have to get salmon that's been pre-frozen, or will the curing process remove that necessity?

To be honest, that photo is what prompted me to finally cure and smoke some salmon. Jealousy is a great motivator.

2 days curing, 1 day pellicle-ing, and now it's cold smoking. Should be ready at about 8PM.

Edit: Fuuuuuuuuck. Never underestimate the Texas sun. I made really awesome hot smoked salmon, instead of what I wanted. Oh well, lemons into lemonade, looks like I'll be having soft scrambled eggs with cream cheese, smoked salmon, and capers for breakfast tomorrow.

PainBreak fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 29, 2012

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Did you use a tray of ice water? I've heard that can help. I'm going to try the salmon next week.

I'm about to go pick up 15 lbs of pork belly, unfortunately it's frozen. I'm only going to thaw it once obviously, and only half is going to go to bacon. What should I use the rest for (besides some pancetta, already on the list)?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

GigaFool posted:

Did you use a tray of ice water? I've heard that can help. I'm going to try the salmon next week.

I'm about to go pick up 15 lbs of pork belly, unfortunately it's frozen. I'm only going to thaw it once obviously, and only half is going to go to bacon. What should I use the rest for (besides some pancetta, already on the list)?

Kellers confit pork belly is godly.

http://leitesculinaria.com/34750/writings-confit-of-pork-belly.html

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 30, 2012

Cory Feldspar
May 14, 2006

birds of a feather flock to vagina
I was inspired by this thread to order Ruhlman and Poleyn's book and have been enjoying homemade bacon, prosciutto and rillettes ever since.
Bacon with Rub

Finished bacon

Duck salting overnight

Duck breasts hanging

Finished duck prosciutto

Blending the duck rillettes

Fresh duck rillettes

Not pictured: The awesome looking duck confit that I made, which eventually turned in to these rillettes based on the Ruhlman basica confit to rillettes recipe.

I failed in my attempt at making salted salmon. From what I've found out talking to other enthusiasts is that I left the fish in the salt/brine for too long. The meat got very chewy and hard. Still pretty though.

I also have been using the natural pickle recipe to great success. If you have any interest in charcuterie then pickling is a natural next step.
Prepping peppers for pickling

Pickles ready for brining

They dont last long

Support your local butcher!

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008
I'm super-keen on trying to make the OP's bacon since all the locally available bacon is disgusting. I'm having some difficulty in tracking down curing salt but have recruited a friend who is some kind of food-magazine hotshot to assist.

Meanwhile I'm on my second small batch of beef biltong which I have managed to gently caress up by not allowing it to shed enough water during the initial cure. I just came back from rinsing it in vinegar and am kind of re-curing it to try and shed some more moisture before hanging it out again. It's going to be pretty unique-tasting, that's for sure.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

Butcher-packer is the place to go for curing salt, like listed in the OP. It's super cheap and arrives quick.

I just finished by first thing, the same bacon attempt as everybody.

I just have some crappy iPhone pictures but I figured I'd post them.

The pork belly:

The finished product:

It definitely beat out any store-bought bacon I've ever had. If you're thinking about doing this, just do it, the results are great. And it's nice to get away from the computer for a while without having to doing something that makes you healthier...

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
I retried Ruhlman's corned beef recipe, but this time, substituted a slow, covered roast for the boiling step. The difference is night and day: the flavours come out like crazy and it's not bland at all. The only problem is that it's actually way too salty. I'll try a few less days in the brine next time, but I think I've got a good thing going, here.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How long did you roast it for? Maybe boiling it for 30 minutes or so and then roasting it the rest of the way is the best method?

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
A bit over 2 hours at 300, but it was a small hunk of meat. I'm dividing up my raw beef so I can make little test batches until I find a method I like. The next test is going into the brine for 2 days, then maybe a lower, slower roast.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I rarely eat pork, but made Gordon Ramsay's pressed pork belly last week after being enthralled by his video on it. I didn't enjoy it much, but all the guests who eat pork regularly absolutely loved it. I did really enjoy working with the belly, so I started looking for other recipes and ended up here.

I have the Charcuterie book and already found many things that I'll try soon. I really like the idea of keeping a duck in brine before roasting it, so that one will definitely get made.

I haven't found any pink salt in the Netherlands, but I read there is something called colorozosalt (???) which has 0.6% nitrites only, but if you use ten times as much as pink salt and no regular salt it works out fine according to some other guy who already made dozens of batches. Going to look for that and ziplock bags today.

Cirian
Nov 7, 2002
Fun Shoe

BioTech posted:

I haven't found any pink salt in the Netherlands, but I read there is something called colorozosalt (???) which has 0.6% nitrites only, but if you use ten times as much as pink salt and no regular salt it works out fine according to some other guy who already made dozens of batches. Going to look for that and ziplock bags today.

The recipe most people in this thread are using starts with 6% sodium nitrite (and 94% salt) which is then "diluted" 9:1 with pure salt. The basic cure mix from Michael Ruhlman is:

450g pure salt
50g preserving salt (6% nitrites)
225g sugar

I guess you can just use 500g of the 0.6% salt instead (+ 225g sugar) and it'll be pretty close. It's not super exact anyway, so a few percent off should be a problem.

Just wanted to chime in to the thread as well and thank the OP - I started making bacon a few months ago and it has changed my life. What I don't understand is how it can be so much better and yet so easy to make. Why can't you buy this stuff??

Cirian fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 24, 2012

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
Wait 6% nitrates or nitrites?

I thought pink cure salt #1/prague powder was ~6% sodium nitrite not sodium nitrate. I think people mix these up a lot in this thread and it is confusing the heck outta me.

Especially as Cure Salt #2 does has sodium nitrate AND sodium nitrite.

My understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that Cure Salt #2 is used for cures that will be hanging for a long time so the sodium nitrate will eventually turn into sodium nitrite or something.

To confuse me further the cure salt #1 I just received says it should not be used for hanging cures, is this true or do they just mean long hanging cures?

Xarb fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 24, 2012

Cirian
Nov 7, 2002
Fun Shoe

Xarb posted:

Wait 6% nitrates or nitrites?

I thought pink cure salt #1/prague powder was ~6% sodium nitrite not sodium nitrate. I think people mix these up a lot in this thread and it is confusing the heck outta me.

Especially as Cure Salt #2 does has sodium nitrate AND sodium nitrite.

My understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that Cure Salt #2 is used for cures that will be hanging for a long time so the sodium nitrate will eventually turn into sodium nitrite or something.

To confuse me further the cure salt #1 I just received says it should not be used for hanging cures, is this true or do they just mean long hanging cures?

Whoops, my bad. Nitrates are the hanging ones, nitrites are the quick cures (edited my post to fix misinformation). Nitrates slowly cure things that are for air drying, and you don't get that kind of "extended release" from just nitrites (which is why you can't use them for hanging cures).

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
Ok that makes sense, but then I read this duck proscuitto recipe:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438423&pagenumber=3#post397329192
and Ruhlman's Pancetta:
http://ruhlman.com/2009/06/home-cured-pancetta/
and they don't mention using Cure #2. Is it implied that those recipes use cure#2?

I really need to buy his book ASAP, I assume this is all explained in it?

Cirian
Nov 7, 2002
Fun Shoe

Xarb posted:

Ruhlman's Pancetta:
http://ruhlman.com/2009/06/home-cured-pancetta/
and they don't mention using Cure #2. Is it implied that those recipes use cure#2?

I really need to buy his book ASAP, I assume this is all explained in it?

That's definitely nitrite based, since his "basic cure" is nitrite based. Since it's only hanging for a week that's a short curing time (vs, say, months). I assume the same is true for the duck prosciutto.

Cirian
Nov 7, 2002
Fun Shoe
So just to elaborate on my bacon adventures, this is a picture of my second batch:

I got a 3.5kg de-rinded belly from Costco (sue me) and used a recipe based on Ruhlman's Charcuterie that is in the OP. This was my second batch, so I felt I could play around with it a bit. I got rid of the garlic which really wasn't doing it for me last time around and changed the spices a bit. The final recipe was:

• 87 grams of basic cure (equivalent to 2.5% of the green weight of the pork)
  • 1 tbsp dried thyme
  • 1 tbsp ground black pepper (not enough)
  • 1 tbsp ground sumac
  • 1 tbsp szechuan peppercorns (lightly crushed)
  • 1 tbsp juniper berries (also crushed)
  • 1/8th cup honey
  • 1/8th cup maple syrup
  • 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
  • About a third of a nutmeg, freshly grated

While I was careful with the amount of basic cure I just sort of whacked in the other parts of the cure since it's less important. After seven days in the fridge in a ziplock bag, the bacon was smoke baked in a kettle barbecue until it hit 65 degrees C (which took about an hour an a half). I would've liked to hot smoke it over several hours but my balcony is tiny and a small barbecue is all I can use.

This bacon has been absolutely stunning - the only thing I'd change is add a bit more pepper to balance out the sugar a bit more.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

How'd you slice it so evenly? Looks amazing.

Cirian
Nov 7, 2002
Fun Shoe

Chemmy posted:

How'd you slice it so evenly? Looks amazing.

One of my girlfriend's more alarming skills is incredibly precise knifework. She also has a set of global knives to go with it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Marry her.

tboeske01
Apr 6, 2011

in the end the addition of charles barkley did improve the amount of dunk in the proposed replacement picture as expected, even exceeding our more modest projections easily.

Cirian posted:

One of my girlfriend's more alarming skills is incredibly precise knifework. She also has a set of global knives to go with it.

Just the tip can take on a whole new meaning with those skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I finished my first batch of bacon and it is amazing. I misread the Fahrenheit as Celsius when I put everything in the oven, but caught it after a few minutes so it didn't make much of a difference.

Definitely gonna make another batch soon.

• Locked thread