Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

randombattle posted:

The Wasteland 2 videos are all really funny.

This is the opposite of true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
The Nekkro video is probably the most cringe-worthy (videogame) kickstarter video I've seen so far.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Seashell Salesman posted:

The Nekkro video is probably the most cringe-worthy (videogame) kickstarter video I've seen so far.

Which is a shame, because their game looks cool.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

He said he's going to hire an actual team, though. He specifically mentioned that at the very least they're going to get a dedicated programmer.

Kickstarter: you think of things then you hire people to make it a reality.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
You might say I'm an ideas guy. :smug:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Fair and honest question, what makes someone want to do that whole "Hey, I missed you there" or "Sorry, I was just on the phone", or whatever gag? It is such a small thing yet it instantly makes me the video/pitch because it rarely works out and is usually drat obvious that just being professional and upfront would be better.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
It's a super cheesy, super lazy, barely funny icebreaker that's used if the person wants to be cute but actually has no idea how to get the ball rolling. It's probably the dumbest opener in the history of stage and film.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

What if I did it while removing a noose from my neck?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Okay, I actually chuckled at that one.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

NINbuntu 64 posted:

That would be pretty loving hilarious, yeah.

Also, you're the guy who said Sega should kickstart a VC3 localization, right? Because I'd pay approximately one gazillion dollars for such a thing to occur.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.

Quarex posted:

Also he apparently lives in the Seattle area like 50% of all oldschool game designers, clearly he does live comedy that I can go watch . ... wait what if he does, then I would be obligated to actually go oh no

It's even better. Al Lowe is also an accomplished jazz musician. We had quite a lively conversation about that a few years ago.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem

Seashell Salesman posted:

You've obviously never seen the video for Zybourne Clock Clockwork and Crossbones.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1400386283/clockwork-and-crossbones?ref=live

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

emoticon posted:

Kickstarter: you think of things then you hire people to make it a reality.

I've heard the "sure I don't know anything about making a game but I'm going to hire people who do" line so often but how would you even know who to hire? There are plenty of hack artists and programmers and designers who will do nothing but drain your budget and then ask for more money. How would you be able tell the difference, especially if you don't know anything about managing a product development cycle? Do you have to hire a HR recruiter first?

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Al! posted:

I've heard the "sure I don't know anything about making a game but I'm going to hire people who do" line so often but how would you even know who to hire? There are plenty of hack artists and programmers and designers who will do nothing but drain your budget and then ask for more money. How would you be able tell the difference, especially if you don't know anything about managing a product development cycle? Do you have to hire a HR recruiter first?

Simple. Hire someone who know who to hire to hire all the people you need to hire.

Your job is to just sit back and make money once you have delegated all the real work.

Seriously, anyone asking for an absurdly small or ridiculous budget for someone without an already demonstrable product history should send up mega-sirens in anyone with the tiniest degree of skepticism.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

TheHock posted:

It's even better. Al Lowe is also an accomplished jazz musician. We had quite a lively conversation about that a few years ago.
That explains how he was able to actually write a good theme song. I was always mystified by that, as normally "writing the music to your own game" results in a catastrophic pile of terror.

Is Al Lowe a Renaissance man? A dirty old Renaissance man?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Berk Berkly posted:

Simple. Hire someone who know who to hire to hire all the people you need to hire.

Your job is to just sit back and make money once you have delegated all the real work.

Seriously, anyone asking for an absurdly small or ridiculous budget for someone without an already demonstrable product history should send up mega-sirens in anyone with the tiniest degree of skepticism.

My guess is that none of the kickstarters so far have made enough money to have a good chance of staffing all the usual production and admin types to organize lots of technical people and artists who have just been hired on to work on a project none of them really care about. It's one thing if the kickstarter is a programmer and a musician and they just want to hire an artist and another programmer or something, but if you are staffing the whole thing with outsiders and you just want to ~contribute ideas~ you will need a shitload of money.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Siminu posted:

You've obviously never seen the video for Zybourne Clock Clockwork and Crossbones.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1400386283/clockwork-and-crossbones?ref=live

Oh my gooooooooooooooood

What is this? Why is this so god awful? Huruugh

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Well, Kickstarter has become self-referential, so I guess this means the movement is dead and long live the movement:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/timonbirkhofer/capital-c-how-the-crowd-liberates-itself

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

If you give money to a guy that says he will find a team to develop a game - you're basically hiring a publisher which is the exact function that Kickstarter is designed to get rid of.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Yep, and if he needs to hire a guy who knows who to hire how can you ever know if he's even smart enough to know if the guy he hired is not just a dumbass like him so it's like recruiting himself :v:

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Palpek posted:

If you give money to a guy that says he will find a team to develop a game - you're basically hiring a publisher which is the exact function that Kickstarter is designed to get rid of.

Not entirely. Part of the problem with publishers is that they exist solely to make money, not a product. Every decision they make is ruled by the bottom line, which is why it's basically "blockbuster or bust." By at least putting it in the hands of people who want to make even one specific game, you're in a situation that is far less compromising to maximizing business decisions.

Siminu posted:

For gently caress's sake. I have nothing against people doing a Kickstarter in character. Done right, it can be a great way to advertise the personality of your game, establish some characters, all sorts of thing. But first you really need to know how to loving act, frame a shot, and don't shoot in the back of a coffee shop. Nobody's going to give you money if they can't loving hear your pitch.

NINbuntu 64 fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 10, 2012

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

NINbuntu 64 posted:

By at least putting it in the hands of people who want to make even one specific game, you're in a situation that is far less compromising to maximizing business decisions.

Are you seriously seeing positive sides of giving money to ideas guys? I don't even know what to tell you. Yes they're not publishers from their motivation standpoint, they're still pretty much the worst kind of people that could start a kickstarter.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Palpek posted:

Are you seriously seeing positive sides of giving money to ideas guys? I don't even know what to tell you.

No? I'm saying that you don't understand the problem with modern publishers and how it affects the games that get made and the process by which they are made. There's nothing wrong with idea guys if they actually have a team behind them, either. The problem with "idea guys" is that most "idea guys" don't take any consideration into the ideas they've had.

Everyone is an idea guy. Every last person on this planet. The only difference is whether or not their idea is any good and if they can ever accomplish it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

NINbuntu 64 posted:

For gently caress's sake. I have nothing against people doing a Kickstarter in character. Done right, it can be a great way to advertise the personality of your game, establish some characters, all sorts of thing. But first you really need to know how to loving act, frame a shot, and don't shoot in the back of a coffee shop. Nobody's going to give you money if they can't loving hear your pitch.

Those aren't the sounds of cups and sauces clinking together, that's the delicate noise of clockwork mechanisms whirring in beautiful harmony.

...clockwork mechanisms that power the clockwork espresso machine used by clockwork baristas that are members of the the local clockwork high school's clockwork drama club.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I guess someone is trying to make a game that is quite a bit like Battlezone (98?)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/807779870/bionite-origins

Is this true, or just a clever ruse? I don't know, but it has my backing now.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/486250632/republique-by-camouflaj-logan So this was just posted to Joystiq. It looks fun as long as the protagonist stops whining and crying every once and a while.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When is Volition going to post Freespace 3 on Kickstarter? Because I've got my wallet handy.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

mutata posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/486250632/republique-by-camouflaj-logan So this was just posted to Joystiq. It looks fun as long as the protagonist stops whining and crying every once and a while.

Holy poo poo. They practically had my wallet out during the trailer but I'm getting a really hazy feeling that this may end up being a sequence game like Dragon's Lair.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

mutata posted:

Waaaaaaiiit a second, I could have sworn there was a Japanese survival horror/adventure game released on the PS2 (or that era) that was the exact same thing, you were some guy giving a woman directions and watching through cameras instead of having direct control. I think everything was done using voice commands and speaking into a microphone attachment.

e: ah there we go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifeline_(video_game)

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 10, 2012

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

There was, it was called Lifeline.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Waaaaaaiiit a second, I could have sworn there was a Japanese survival horror game released on the PS2 (or that era) that was the exact same thing, you were some guy giving her directions through camera and you spoke into a microphone attachment to give her commands.

There was, but it was largely overlooked because of terrible reviews that stemmed from the fact that you needed to use voice commands and they weren't recognized well at all. It was very imprecise and clumsy so only five people played it.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Dolphin posted:

When is Volition going to post Freespace 3 on Kickstarter? Because I've got my wallet handy.

I think there are legal concerns regarding a publicly traded company fundraising through Kickstarter.

Which means the solution is to start a kickstarter to buy out Volition so it is no longer publicly traded :v:

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
AFAIK Interplay still own the license so they would have to wrestle it out of their hands. Volition are under THQ's thumb so it wouldn't happen under their roof. Plus most of the people who were the driving forces behind Freespace have moved on.

I'd like to see a bunch of them all start a new studio with the express purpose of making FS3 happen via Kickstarter. I don't even want to guess how much money I would sink into it.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

mutata posted:

How are they going to make money on this? It's not on the PC and it's a real game.

e: Oh. That's why they're doing kickstarter. I would probably put in some money were it on a thing I could play it on.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

drat, I really don't give a poo poo about another Leisure Suit Larry remake, but Al Lowe is just ever so delightful in that video :allears:

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland

mutata posted:

This game looks kind of amazing actually but just iOS? what a bummer.

MaverickEX
Mar 18, 2012

mutata posted:

They claim it's a mobile game with a $1,000,000+ budget? Is this the first?

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet

NINbuntu 64 posted:

There was, but it was largely overlooked because of terrible reviews that stemmed from the fact that you needed to use voice commands and they weren't recognized well at all. It was very imprecise and clumsy so only five people played it.

I still have the game and headset somewhere in my closet. It was incredibly infuriating to get her to do such simple things as "go to the table" or "shoot monster". Instead, she'd leave the room repeatedly or start chugging your limited supply of healing items.

The few times I played I was always asked who I was yelling at.

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Waaaaaaiiit a second, I could have sworn there was a Japanese survival horror/adventure game released on the PS2 (or that era) that was the exact same thing, you were some guy giving a woman directions and watching through cameras instead of having direct control. I think everything was done using voice commands and speaking into a microphone attachment.

e: ah there we go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifeline_(video_game)

Experience 112 used the exact same concept, minus the microphone :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EXperience112

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

MaverickEX posted:

They claim it's a mobile game with a $1,000,000+ budget? Is this the first?

Well for a fully 3D game with professional sound mixing and mo-cap, I can see the budget inflating to that degree. The XBLA games that Double Fine did were a couple mil, but they have many more people to pay too.